Author Topic: Uber loses London Licence  (Read 20075 times)

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Uber loses London Licence
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2017, 03:07:46 pm »
Only had one bad experience with an Uber. Use it weekly to get work due to having shit shifts.

My understanding of this surely is that if they lose the London license, all the drivers will just buy cars from other towns with non-London registered license plates, and carry on working? I went to Stoke recently (Alton Towers) and the driver was telling me that Uber isn't available in Stoke, but it is in Liverpool/Manchester etc, so he just bought a car with a Liverpool reg license and was able to operate in Stoke as long as anyone was using the app.
Tfl are a much bigger problem though and they have the resources to punish that behaviour if need be. I suspect a compromise will be made but it's a necessary one.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2017, 03:39:47 pm »
The families of a lot of Uber drivers are gonna suffer because of this. And so are lots of people who struggle to live in London - for my sister to get home from central London, she pays £17 in an Uber. In a black cab, it's over £50 to have some fella chatting shite to you when you couldn't care less.

Also, card machines in black cabs? That's because of Uber. They were literally forced to modernise because they had proper competition for the first time.

It's a bastard of a company and I don't use them myself but I'm not made up about it. A lot of people's lives will be worse because of this.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2017, 03:41:22 pm »
All aboard the night tube! Can't beat a 3am tube home with the stench of vomit flowing through your nostrils!

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2017, 03:44:07 pm »
I've only ever had incredible service with Uber.  Easy booking, easy pickup, easy journey, easy payment... all for a reasonable price.

There's got to be some middle ground between that and being completely ripped off by a regular London taxi while receiving a service that ranges from clunky to downright awful in comparison.
never used them in London but I have in other parts of the UK and I too find it a great service
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2017, 03:48:54 pm »
The families of a lot of Uber drivers are gonna suffer because of this. And so are lots of people who struggle to live in London - for my sister to get home from central London, she pays £17 in an Uber. In a black cab, it's over £50 to have some fella chatting shite to you when you couldn't care less.

Also, card machines in black cabs? That's because of Uber. They were literally forced to modernise because they had proper competition for the first time.

It's a bastard of a company and I don't use them myself but I'm not made up about it. A lot of people's lives will be worse because of this.
So we just let Uber flout the regulations and pretend it never happened?

I do feel sorry for Uber drivers, but they need to play by the same rules as everyone else.
cyas

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2017, 03:51:50 pm »
So we just let Uber flout the regulations and pretend it never happened?

I do feel sorry for Uber drivers, but they need to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Should Tooshop employees be made redundant because Philip Green is a c*nt?
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2017, 03:57:36 pm »
Petition's up. Just received this email from them;

Dear Xabi,

As you may have heard, the Mayor and Transport for London have announced they will not be renewing Uber’s licence to operate in our city when it expires on 30 September.

We are sure Londoners will be as astounded as we are by this decision. By trying to ban the app from the capital, the Mayor and Transport for London have caved in to a small number of people who want to restrict consumer choice.

Not only will this decision deprive you of the choice of a convenient way of getting about town, it will also put more than 40,000 licensed drivers who rely on our app out of work.

We will be immediately challenging this decision in court.

If you want to continue using the Uber app in London - and to defend the livelihoods of 40,000 licensed drivers - please sign this petition urging the Mayor to think again.

Tom Elvidge,
Uber London

Sign the petition - https://www.change.org/p/save-your-uber-in-london-saveyouruber

Online plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2017, 04:15:30 pm »

Haha it sounds like that email is directed to Xabi Alonso. I bet as other people have mentioned they'll get their licence after paying some more and Uber prices will rise next year.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2017, 04:27:09 pm »
I'm definitely for innovation and new ideas. But I'm not sure how companies can complain when they are asked to meet the same legal requirements as other, similar, companies. An app doesn't mean you get to piss all over employment legislation there to ensure people at least get a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. Yeah, that will make them less competitively priced. But fuck any company which tries to bankrupt the competition on the backs of its workers. I'm sure Uber will rush to ensure that it answers all the criticisms which are currently preventing it getting a license.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2017, 05:03:36 pm »
The reason uber exists is

1) Black cab drivers are overpriced and have no real competition
2) They are a pain to get late in the evening and some will just refuse you depending on where you are going.

Uber will be back. Black cab drivers need to adapt to the times or find a new job.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2017, 05:21:00 pm »
I'm definitely for innovation and new ideas. But I'm not sure how companies can complain when they are asked to meet the same legal requirements as other, similar, companies. An app doesn't mean you get to piss all over employment legislation there to ensure people at least get a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. Yeah, that will make them less competitively priced. But fuck any company which tries to bankrupt the competition on the backs of its workers. I'm sure Uber will rush to ensure that it answers all the criticisms which are currently preventing it getting a license.

Exactly,they seem to think that they don't have to adhere to current regulations because they are a 'technology' company.They fucked up by trying to strong-arm TFL over the written english requirement for all min cab operators.

2) They are a pain to get late in the evening and some will just refuse you depending on where you are going.

Uber will be back. Black cab drivers need to adapt to the times or find a new job.

Black cabs are not the only option.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2017, 05:30:47 pm »
Exactly,they seem to think that they don't have to adhere to current regulations because they are a 'technology' company.They fucked up by trying to strong-arm TFL over the written english requirement for all min cab operators.

We're heavily Labour on here, and I reckon most of us would be on the side of the GMB fighting to get Uber drivers fair pay and conditions. The pay is so poor, and the management so weak, drivers are putting their and their passengers safety at risk by putting in ridiculous shifts. GMB have been asking TfL to do this at least since they started to win employment tribunals against Uber.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2017, 05:36:54 pm »

That written English test is a load of bollocks. My dad speaks very good English, but being an uneducated immigrant his writing level isn’t good enough to pass the test and he will have to quit work next July despite driving a cab for 3 years with no problems just to keep the black cab drivers in the life they have become accustomed to.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2017, 05:38:04 pm »
Hilarious that they're playing the victim here. Changing their operations to operate in line with the Tfl's requirements is clearly a last resort.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2017, 05:43:05 pm »
That written English test is a load of bollocks. My dad speaks very good English, but being an uneducated immigrant his writing level isn’t good enough to pass the test and he will have to quit work next July despite driving a cab for 3 years with no problems just to keep the black cab drivers in the life they have become accustomed to.

Black cabs are not the only option.

With regards to the written test,maybe there is a case for it becoming more of an oral and visual test but that wasn't the case that the tech company put forward.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2017, 05:58:11 pm »
Being able to get somewhere fast with someone that isn't really cut out to driving a passenger vehicle is more important than companies taking seriously their employees and corporate responsibility and decency and workers rights and treating people well.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2017, 08:24:41 pm »
Shame travis isn’t still in charge as the reaction from that tit would be hilarious, they lose a shitload of money every year and stuff like this happens, boss.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2017, 08:46:01 pm »

They're cheaper because Uber subsidises each journey while they attempt to gain a huge market share.  There are other minicab firms, rather than black cabs, that are nearly as cheap, but they don't have surge prices, so, in fact, they can be as cheap or cheaper at peak times.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2017, 09:54:41 pm »
Andy at Allerton will be along shortly ;D

Is he licensed?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2017, 09:58:34 pm »
For those concerned about the consequences for Uber drivers, even if Uber doesn't make a deal/win an appeal, a competitor like Lyft will come along in it's place - with presumably improved working conditions/regulation if it is to win a license.

It's not like the demand for taxis is just going to disappear with Uber.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2017, 10:43:14 pm »
Surely this is a very simple issue to resolve.

Ensure that you comply with the passenger safety rules.

Get your license back...  don’t get the problem..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2017, 10:51:05 pm »
Traditional taxi drivers have been done for sexual assault as wel, should we ban all them?

Besides I thought uber drivers already get a criminal back ground check like normal black can drivers. What more can be done?

Part of me thinks this is more about money than anything else. How much does the city of London get from traditional taxi companies vs uber.

That said uber the company are a bunch of bastards, but just because they are doesn't mean it's right to make 40000 out of a job.

Just read an article and it said there was 154 allegations involving taxi drivers from 2015 to 2016. 30 of them uber drivers, so again why ban uber and not the rest?

Should we ban the tube which recorded 567 sexual offences on the London Underground in 2015?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:00:45 pm by stevensr123 »
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2017, 10:52:21 pm »
Its the job of the state to ensure that such things are tackled, regardless of what it costs the public and its ease of use.

Completely agree with this, although I'd add that some of us (myself included) didn't need to wait for the state to intervene.  I stopped using Uber as soon as I heard more about their internal culture and working practices. 

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2017, 11:08:10 pm »
Good piece from Newsnight on just how politically connected Uber were with David Cameron and Ed Balls, which allowed them much influence and inside track on regulations.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2017, 01:17:20 am »
I've used Uber twice. The 1st time it cost half what we were quoted by black cab drivers who didn't want to do two drops. £34 for a 13 mile journey in the early hours of the morning. The 2nd time I got £15 off when I got back to the station at 1am after the Derby game last season. Cost £20 for an 11 mile journey.

Affordable yes, would I want mother or sisters to go home in one? Definitely not.

It's made the black cab trade more affordable and move away from only taking cash. But I won't shed any tears if it's the end of the road for Uber in London.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2017, 01:39:17 am »

Newcastle and Sunderland have licenses till 2021, but both city councils have said they are monitoring the situation.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2017, 08:03:23 am »

Is this the same Tom Elvidge?

https://twitter.com/tomtomelvidge/status/79246015449927680
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2017, 08:10:14 am »
Over 400k signatures so far. Wow.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2017, 08:32:32 am »
Over 400k signatures so far. Wow.

Got to save our Corporate Overlords...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2017, 08:45:04 am »
For such a left leaning mayor and left leaning people on this site, good to know some people are happy 40,000 people could be losing their income.

Also good to know people are very happy to tarnish the vast majority of good drivers who do Uber without a problem, because 30 or so scum bags ( less scum bags that people on trains, normal taxis etc according to statistics released)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:48:20 am by stevensr123 »

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2017, 08:45:37 am »
or the jobs of 40000 fucking people...

It's Uber's fault if they won't comply with the law. They have the responsibility to adapt and make the proper improvements - some of which are for the sake of their workforce - its not the law's responsibility to bend towards what cost cutting measures a multinational company like Uber want to use. Uber bend the rules by marking everyone as 'self-employed' when you work for them, they're a bad business who don't give a shiny shit about their workforce. Uber need to stump up the cash - not get a get out of jail free card from London Council.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:50:03 am by SamAteTheRedAcid »

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2017, 08:49:15 am »
For such a left leaning mayor and left leaning people on this site, good to know some people are happy 40,000 people could be losing their income.

Nobody said anything about being happy people could lose their jobs. Businesses like Uber rake it in at the expense of said workers, and aren't complying with business laws (because it interferes with their profits) - its the company that needs to sort this out.

Hardly very left wing to stick up for multi national c*nts like Uber. What next, going to go all out for Amazon and Apple too? They're all a bunch of tax avoiding c*nts and if they paid their fucking rates and complied with the law then nobody would lose their jobs.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2017, 08:50:16 am »
It's Uber's fault if they won't comply with the law. They have the repsonsibility to adapt and make the proper improvements - some of which are for the sake of their workforce - its not the law's responsibility to bend towards what cost cutting measures a multinational company like Uber want to use. Uber bend the rules by marking everyone as 'self-employed' when you work for them, they're a bad business who don't give a shiny shit about their workforce. Uber need to stump up the cash - not get a get out of jail free card from London Council.

they obviously complied with the law though hence getting the license in the first place?  Also they still back ground check drivers like any other cab company. What are people actually after from them?

They give thousands and thousands of drivers the ability to make a bit of coin on the side or jobs for people who can't get one, how is that a bad thing? Fucking madness and this decision is only going to hurt the people who use it and the people who need it for cash.

I hardly hear any of the drivers complaint about their working 'conditions' because they are free to work when ever they want and it helps them. But you have left leaning politicians crying out for "them" and all it's resulting in, is people losing their lively hoods. Just so a few wankers can pat themselves on the back
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:06:30 am by stevensr123 »

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2017, 09:23:25 am »
Very amused by all the Facebook socialists complaining about this decision. Uniformly young, professional class who are happy to espouse leftist ideas until the slightest inconvenience.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2017, 09:30:03 am »

Also good to know people are very happy to tarnish the vast majority of good drivers who do Uber without a problem, because 30 or so scum bags ( less scum bags that people on trains, normal taxis etc according to statistics released)
uber spend hundreds of millions a year on self driving cars, less money for that shit and the cabbies can go back to the minicab firms (or the ones that can meet the standard)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2017, 10:12:57 am »
Uber creates huge issues with paying the minimum wage too..

That and safeguarding issues...

They need to sort it out.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2017, 12:47:59 pm »
Is he licensed?

"Cor bwimey innit mate. Look at the weather!! Stahn the Crahs mate! And all these potholes.. OOUMMPHHH!  Nah!! Don't get me started mate. State of the place. Cor. Innit. Bladhy weavver. Corr... Innit. Guvnor."
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2017, 01:06:36 pm »
Nobody said anything about being happy people could lose their jobs. Businesses like Uber rake it in at the expense of said workers, and aren't complying with business laws (because it interferes with their profits) - its the company that needs to sort this out.

Hardly very left wing to stick up for multi national c*nts like Uber. What next, going to go all out for Amazon and Apple too? They're all a bunch of tax avoiding c*nts and if they paid their fucking rates and complied with the law then nobody would lose their jobs.

Not to be devil's advocate, but I'm not sure if Uber has ever made a profit.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2017, 01:09:47 pm »

You might well be right, they seem to follow the 'borrow cash, artificially keep prices low, then once everyone is hooked, pump them back up and make a killing' model. Mad that that's an actual thing that companies do, run deficits for years but its all a bit beyond my ken how it works.

I bet their execs are all getting paid a fat wedge though. And bet they get holiday pay, maternity leave and all the other things their drivers probably don't.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2017, 01:33:17 pm »
they never have, lost $700m in the first quarter this year, $3bn last year.

You might well be right, they seem to follow the 'borrow cash, artificially keep prices low, then once everyone is hooked, pump them back up and make a killing' model. Mad that that's an actual thing that companies do, run deficits for years but its all a bit beyond my ken how it works.

I bet their execs are all getting paid a fat wedge though. And bet they get holiday pay, maternity leave and all the other things their drivers probably don't.
thought it was more investors pumping cash in rather than them borrowing?

Shame this prick isn’t running them anymore

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZL5Flwmjc