Author Topic: Match Preview: Liverpool vs. Crystal Palace [Saturday 19 August, K.O. 15:00]  (Read 33476 times)

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
hoping we get 5+ goals without reply........so they'll be desperate for  .......................Sakho!

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
Milner is a midfielder again it seems.

Hmm, hope that's not the case for the long term. We shall see, though. Would rather Milner's minutes in the middle go to young Grujic. He might be a bit raw but there's something about this kid, plus he's very tall and capable of helping our defence from set pieces.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Hmm, hope that's not the case for the long term. We shall see, though. Would rather Milner's minutes in the middle go to young Grujic. He might be a bit raw but there's something about this kid, plus he's very tall and capable of helping our defence from set pieces.

As long as the criticism is kept to a reasonable level as he seems likely to accumulate cards with his vigourous tackling.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
i see their manager is trying to instill a passing and possession philosophy for his new side, which means they will definitely revert to type and play on the counter to sucker punch us.

Sick of losing to them at Anfield and we need points on the board to build confidence - hopefully we'll destroy them in the first 30 minutes like we know our side is capable of.

Unchanged eleven for this one i would say, not like we should change much with Sturridge injured, Solanke's a kid, Origi's unspectacular form and Coutinho's saga.
The change is cast

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
I'm thinking quite a few of our starters against Hoff will be rested, they have to be.  Mane looked flogged, and so did Firmino by the end of the game.  I think they'll both be rested, along with Hendo and Moreno to be dropped. Lots of rotation I know but I just reckon we need our best players fresh for the midweek tie.  We should have enough to beat Palace with a few changes.  I'm hoping to see Sturridge and Solanke start, and Robertson given his debut.

Come on you Reds!
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline SandyShore

• "Hodgson did a very good job". someone with low shitty standards who is probably racist
  • Kopite
  • Boooooooooooooooooooom!!
Must win this,  with Arsenal and City to follow we really could be playing catch up.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fuck Sakes! 2 games in and some of youse are on this 'Must Win" bullshit mantra again.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
Fuck Sakes! 2 games in and some of youse are on this 'Must Win" bullshit mantra again.

I remember Chelsea last year were lingering around 7th or 8th position around late October and there were talks of Conte getting the sack. They managed to win the league with ease in the end. Not saying we will do the same but just that its too soon to tell how things are gonna pan out.

Idiots drawing grand conclusions of one game are foolish to say the least.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
I remember Chelsea last year were lingering around 7th or 8th position around late October and there were talks of Conte getting the sack. They managed to win the league with ease in the end. Not saying we will do the same but just that its too soon to tell how things are gonna pan out.

Idiots drawing grand conclusions of one game are foolish to say the least.

If we can head into the international break (sigh) with 7 points in the league and with group stage qualification secured I'll be very, very happy. We don't want to be playing Arsenal and City either side of the break back-to-back and feeling like we need to win.

Beat Palace, get through against Hoffenheim and then hopefully get 3 points at home to Arsenal. Sign a couple of players at the end of the window, come back after the break with renewed vigour and lots to play for. Sound :D

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
If we can head into the international break (sigh) with 7 points in the league and with group stage qualification secured I'll be very, very happy. We don't want to be playing Arsenal and City either side of the break back-to-back and feeling like we need to win.

Beat Palace, get through against Hoffenheim and then hopefully get 3 points at home to Arsenal. Sign a couple of players at the end of the window, come back after the break with renewed vigour and lots to play for. Sound :D

Super sound! 
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
convincing win needed with ideally a clean sheet...3 points and a confidence booster for Wednesday
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
i see their manager is trying to instill a passing and possession philosophy for his new side, which means they will definitely revert to type and play on the counter to sucker punch us.

Sick of losing to them at Anfield and we need points on the board to build confidence - hopefully we'll destroy them in the first 30 minutes like we know our side is capable of.

Unchanged eleven for this one i would say, not like we should change much with Sturridge injured, Solanke's a kid, Origi's unspectacular form and Coutinho's saga.

Sturridge isn't injured.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We didn't get anything from this match last year, so three points would be a big improvement.

A win here would take us to +1 on points, compared to comparable fixtures from last season.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
With Zaha out, especially, I'd be sticking with Moreno. Our full backs generally play as wingers in these games and we know Moreno at least has the pace to get back and (admittedly iffily) defend the counter. Even if Clyne was back, I'd be sticking with TAA. Get as many footballers on the pitch as we reasonably can to break them down.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
I would like to see Kent and Woodburn both make the bench. Its all good claiming the squad is big enough and using these two in those depth charts but when they dont get picked then its clear that it never is a reality.

We dont have a like for like replacement for Mane and Salah to bring on and Woodburn is the closest type of player we have to Coutinho and Lallana.

Maybe we could bring in Sturridge, Woodburn, Kent to the bench and remove Origi, Grujic and Solanke from the squad for this game?

I would like to see Sturridge start and rest Mane but if that is not feasible then I would expect Milner to start in place of one of our 3 starting midfielders.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
Mane and Henderson need to get 100% fit again, this is only done by playing games, so both must start

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
It's about time we twated these lot at Anfield.

Not sure we will though given the need to save our legs a bit and given the slightly wobbly form of our midfield/defence.

I'm going 2-1 home victory. Salah and Sturridge for us, Benteke for them.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Mane and Henderson need to get 100% fit again, this is only done by playing games, so both must start

You make it sound like they won't have a chance to play a game in the much more important match against Hoffenheim. Hopefully neither need to play any more than 45 minutes from the bench.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
You make it sound like they won't have a chance to play a game in the much more important match against Hoffenheim. Hopefully neither need to play any more than 45 minutes from the bench.

they need to start,  far more common to pick up an injury coming off the bench...start them, things going well, take them off

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Mane and Salah have both looked very tired by about 80 mins in the last two games and it affects the way we shut out games. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sturridge in for one of them then see them for the final 30 mins. Or the other way around, obviously.

Looking forward to the first game at Anfield this season. Need a win.

(Thanks Nick for the preview - appreciate it!)
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
I would like to see Kent and Woodburn both make the bench. Its all good claiming the squad is big enough and using these two in those depth charts but when they dont get picked then its clear that it never is a reality.

We dont have a like for like replacement for Mane and Salah to bring on and Woodburn is the closest type of player we have to Coutinho and Lallana.

Maybe we could bring in Sturridge, Woodburn, Kent to the bench and remove Origi, Grujic and Solanke from the squad for this game?

I would like to see Sturridge start and rest Mane but if that is not feasible then I would expect Milner to start in place of one of our 3 starting midfielders.

Why are we removing Origi, Grujic and Solanke from the bench?

All three players who could get minutes in this game, I'd argue Grujic could even start (he probably won't though).
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
they need to start,  far more common to pick up an injury coming off the bench...start them, things going well, take them off

Problem with that is that it then guarantees the need for a substitution (or two) before the game's even started. So if we need to adapt, either to an injury or to manage the game (chasing a lead or down to ten men etc) then we're basically fucked. Also commits other players who looked knackered, like Can and Gini, to playing 90 minutes.

Offline ghandi13

• Main Stander

Lol, yeah this is true but it would be nice to have 7 or even 10 points coming to the end of August, that way I won't have to bare listening to the media drivel come the end of the window if we've not done much and we haven't accrued many points. We'll beat Palace and the Ars , not so sure on City though we've a good record against them.

Offline jacdaniel

• "I don't care if people think I am a bed wetter".
  • Main Stander
People talking about resting players... We really don't have the squad to be doing that.  We won't win games if we start resting the likes of Mane, Firmino and Salah. 

I guess thats why we are nearly all so disappointed with the transfer window.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Why are we removing Origi, Grujic and Solanke from the bench?

All three players who could get minutes in this game, I'd argue Grujic could even start (he probably won't though).

Because I think Sturridge comes back in as a given but Woodburn and Kent give us better balance in terms of subs. We don't have a real replacement for Mane and Salah but Kent could be that option and Woodburn is as close to Coutinho and Lallana as anyone in that squad.

The rest of the bench would be made up of Milner, Gomez, Klavan and Karius. Maybe an argument to drop Gomez or Klavan for one of Solanke, Origi or Grujic.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
Problem with that is that it then guarantees the need for a substitution (or two) before the game's even started. So if we need to adapt, either to an injury or to manage the game (chasing a lead or down to ten men etc) then we're basically fucked. Also commits other players who looked knackered, like Can and Gini, to playing 90 minutes.

maybe we need to buy some players  ;D

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Because I think Sturridge comes back in as a given but Woodburn and Kent give us better balance in terms of subs. We don't have a real replacement for Mane and Salah but Kent could be that option and Woodburn is as close to Coutinho and Lallana as anyone in that squad.

The rest of the bench would be made up of Milner, Gomez, Klavan and Karius. Maybe an argument to drop Gomez or Klavan for one of Solanke, Origi or Grujic.

I think Milner is going to start, heard that somewhere. As you say, you don't need Gomez and Klavan. Solanke should get minutes in this match, I don't know what we are doing with Origi to be honest, mostly likely he will play a bit on Wednesday
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
maybe we need to buy some players  ;D

Ha maybe. But what's the point if we won't play them at times like this, and instead start half fit Mané and Henderson every time? ;)

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
pleased Zaha is out as he always seems to look lively

We should have more than enough for them now, especially as they have reverted to trying to play a short passing game

Offline Koplad83

• Main Stander
We will smash these!

Let's be positive!

We've got jurgen klopp!

Offline Koplad83

• Main Stander

Why? Milner is a class act and gives his all. He is better than grujic and we need our best players on the pitch. I do think grujic can become a really good player tho

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
We're due one against these at home, aren't we? Can see one or two changes - Maybe Lovren, or Henderson rested for Wednesday. Is Robertson injured? If not could see him getting some minutes too.

As others have stated above, a win here and on Wednesday night will give us plenty of confidence going into the Arsenal game. Come on you Redmen!!
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
I see Lawrenson has tipped us for a comfortable 2-0 home win.

6-1 Palace then.

Heaven help us!

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
Lol, yeah this is true but it would be nice to have 7 or even 10 points coming to the end of August, that way I won't have to bare listening to the media drivel come the end of the window if we've not done much and we haven't accrued many points. We'll beat Palace and the Ars , not so sure on City though we've a good record against them.
Difficult to get 10 points from 3 games, mate ;)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
 No Can or Mané in training today .. oh dear
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Unless there's news otherwise, they're probably being rested for Wednesday.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Unless there's news otherwise, they're probably being rested for Wednesday.

They both came back to training in pre season at the same time so unless any injuries were a coincidence, its probably a rest.

Just highlights the need for more players really.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Hmmm. If both are injured ore rested, how do people see the team shaping up?

I'm guessing Milner comes into midfield (though personally I'd like a look at Grujic) and maybe Origi or Solanke starting, either in place of Mane or with Firmino being pushed out wide. I'd wouldn't mind seeing Kent given a go out wide but I'd guess it's unlikely, given that he hasn't even made it to the bench thus far.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
They are not injured, giving rest days.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Can't wait for this, if only to focus on football and not on a boy from Brazil trowing tantrums in the press after more then a club shows remarkable handicap in understanding a very simple word - no.