Author Topic: Match Preview: Liverpool vs. Crystal Palace [Saturday 19 August, K.O. 15:00]  (Read 33472 times)

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Something like this is probably the best we can hope for with the personnel we have available at the moment.

Way too many starters in that, IMO. TAA is young, making him more prone to muscle injuries. Can, Wijnaldum, Firmino, Salah, Mane would be knackered by Hoffenheim on Wednesday if they play the majority of this match. Even Matip as well, he has had fitness issues historically. Lovren I think would be okay. 
I think this Crystal Palace team is a good one for us to try to snatch a win with a weakened - by rotation - team. Especially with Zaha out.
It will also allow us to play full first team for Arsenal match after Hoffenheim
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:11:08 pm by shook »

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Mignolet

TAA Matip Lovren Robertson

Can  Wijnaldum

Firmino

Salah Sturridge (Solanke) Mane

More balance, more creativity.

I'd like to see something like that, just to inject a little bit of something different in midfield. I really don't think that the current midfield three is working at all well and it would be interesting to see if Firmino could perform something like the creative role that Lallana and Coutinho can (although both do it in different ways) - he certainly presses well and intelligently and is a far better dribbler than any of Can, Gini or Henderson and I feel we need someone in there who can carry the ball. It would also give us the chance to play one of our many several central forwards. While I realise Solanke's looked really good in preseason I'd still give the nod to Origi, simply because he's had more experience playing there for us and I still have belief in the lad.

That said, I don't recall seeing Firmino being played there at all during preseason and he's so important to the way we play as the false nine, so it's unlikely to happen, but I'd still like to see it.

I also wonder if we'll see a bit of rotation, given (as many have said) the affects of playing 4 games in 12 days and the importance of the return leg against Hoffenheim - that tie's not over, not by a long way. Klopp seemed to avoid rotating as much as possible last season so maybe not, but I'd love to see Kent/Origi come in for Salah or Mane, and maybe Robertson given a go at left back and Gomez on the right but again, given Klopp's track record, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see an unchanged side at the weekend. Hopefully the lads will be feeling a bit more confident after the Hoffenheim game though, as well they should.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Way too many starters in that, IMO. TAA is young, making him more prone to muscle injuries. Can, Wijnaldum, Firmino, Salah, Mane would be knackered by Hoffenheim on Wednesday if they play the majority of this match. Even Matip as well, he has had fitness issues historically. Lovren I think would be okay. 
I think this Crystal Palace team is a good one for us to try to snatch a win with a weakened - by rotation - team. Especially with Zaha out.
It will also allow us to play full first team for Arsenal match after Hoffenheim
Knackered after two games and four days rest? There's no way we're making wholesale changes, that team has two changes, we'll make three maximum IMO.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals

Wel I'm sorry but we don't really have much choice but to play most of them. You have the people that run our club to partly blame for that. We cannot leave that many first teamers out of the squad. If we do, Palace will be winning at Anfield for the 3rd(or is it 4th) time on the trot. And that will be simply unacceptable.

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legacy Fan
Knackered after two games and four days rest? There's no way we're making wholesale changes, that team has two changes, we'll make three maximum IMO.

I said by Hoffenheim on Wednesday. And then Arsenal after that. Klopp of course will know their fitness levels, but we do have a thin squad at the moment so of the first 5 matches, Crystal Palace would be an option to rotate.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
I said by Hoffenheim on Wednesday. And then Arsenal after that. Klopp of course will know their fitness levels, but we do have a thin squad at the moment so of the first 5 matches, Crystal Palace would be an option to rotate.

We will rotate but nowhere near as much as you're thinking. Three, maybe four at a push will be rotated imo.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
OK, but they'll still have over three days rest, they should be able to handle quite a few games this early in the season. Last year we hardly rotated and it didn't start hitting us until Christmas time. Obviously we have Champions League games now but until Clyne, Lallana and Coutinho back in the squad we're pretty limited.

I think Klopp will want to hit the ground running at home and there's no way we'll make more than three changes.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Right now....for me its like the run in last year. Results. Just get the result.

I could give a fuck how but we need to beat Palace and then Hoffenheim.....

Club is in a weird place at the moment, everyone is up in arms about everything and although smashing the shit out of Palace would be great tonic for everyone, 3 points are all that matters at the end of the day.

They have just lost Zaha which is a bonus and look quite suspect defensively.....we've already beaten them in pre-season and they are getting used to a new coach and his methods. We need to impose ourselves on the game and maybe a start for Origi/Solanke can be a nice way to give a fresh option from the off. Milner too....

3-1 redmen.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Saturday 3pm. Great!

Of course it finally comes just as we are probably most in need of an extra day's rest but fuck it. They look confused about how they want to set up under De Boer. Hopefully they play nice and open, and try to overplay from the back. Let's take advantage.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
Zaha out which is a huge boost. Think we'll nick this 2-1 or 3-2.

I'd - realistically - go:

Mignolet
TAA - Matip - Lovren - Moreno
Milner - Can - Wijnaldum
Salah - Firmino - Mane

I'd play Karius but Jurgen won't.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm thinking Milner will most likely take Wijnaldum's place and partner Henderson in the MF, with Can in the back. And Solanke will probably be in to replace one of Salah or Mane dropping to the bench.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Zaha out which is a huge boost. Think we'll nick this 2-1 or 3-2.

I'd - realistically - go:

Mignolet
TAA - Matip - Lovren - Moreno
Milner - Can - Wijnaldum
Salah - Firmino - Mane

I'd play Karius but Jurgen won't.

Why would you change the keeper after a great display? I'm by no means a big fan of Migs (will always support him but have said for years he's not up to standard) but we need to utilise confidence for our defence and keeper at the minute. Mignolet and Trent should be very confident after midweek. A clean sheet would be massive for the rest in that defence right now; you can see how nervy they are from the word go at times.

Also don't rate Karius at all. He should only play league cup games. There were good keepers up for sale we could have got in the league this season, fair enough Klopp obviously trusts Mignolet.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Chrismonster

• Anny Roader
  • Thou shall not wear socks with FlipFlops.
The midfield has looked a little unbalanced so far, wouldn't mind seeing Ben Woodburn given a chance in there.

Mignolet
TAA - Matip - Lovren - Robertson
 Woodburn - Can - Milner
Salah - Firmino - Mane
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:00:31 pm by Chrismonster »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
No Zaha is huge and limits their ability to break on us.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!
Suspect Dan S will be on bench. Wouldn't be surprised if Solanke starts to rest one of Mane or Salah with them playing a match between them. Hoping Robertson gets his debut.
Milner in midfield instead of Wijnaldum is another decent shout. Goes without saying that we need to score more than Benteke. Should be doable!!
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Red78

• Main Stander
  • One bird for life.
Surely JK is gonna get asked about Courtinio in his pre-match press conference. Are we gonna get an update on his back or is this back injury just horse sh*t?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Can't wait to see us play on that spanking new pitch, should be a lovely occasion.
We have plenty to beat down Palace, but our midfield will need to step up their game - they were too disjointed and error prone in the first two games. Some improvement from them, or a change in the personnel there and I think we'll comfortably take three points.

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
Bloody hell we're missing Coutinho and Lallana badly which shows we're a bit short of quality in depth.

Any chance his back may have "recovered" for this one?

He is out until August 31st mate. Expected "recovery" by then....what a shame.
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
In all seriousness this will be my first match at Anfield since wolves at home a few years ago when Luis twatted the wolves defense in front of the Anny road! Looking forward to seeing the new Main stand and the reds doing the business over Palace. We owe them one after the last few encounters....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:25:40 pm by Digger2God »
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
We'll click this weekend.  5-0.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
A hard fought 2-0 loss with Benteke scoring two headers and Klopp praising our defence at the end of the game and reiterating his belief in our perfectly planned and executed transfer window.
I am half serious about this. Klopp's recent comments about our defence has been insulting to the fans' intelligence.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
We'll click this weekend.  5-0.
It's going to happen at some point, I go 4-1.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
If you're going---new rules:

Make sure you allow enough time for any necessary security checks which may include random searches. Bringing bags to the stadium is actively discouraged. However, fans arriving at the stadium with a small personal bag (i.e. handbag/medical bag) should expect this to be searched and tagged before entry. Bringing a bag may delay your entry and in some cases may lead to non-entry to the stadium.

Please do not bring large bags or luggage (such as rucksacks / briefcases / suitcases / suit bags etc.) to Anfield as they cannot be brought into the stadium.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline North Red

• Anny Roader
Interesting to see if Grujic features. I'd say he hasn't registered in the consciousness of many sets of supporters so far but Palace will remember him after the bad tackle e made on Tomkins last season.

He also made a bad one on Zaha in the Asia cup, and last night on Demirbay (I think)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If you're going---new rules:

Make sure you allow enough time for any necessary security checks which may include random searches. Bringing bags to the stadium is actively discouraged. However, fans arriving at the stadium with a small personal bag (i.e. handbag/medical bag) should expect this to be searched and tagged before entry. Bringing a bag may delay your entry and in some cases may lead to non-entry to the stadium.

Please do not bring large bags or luggage (such as rucksacks / briefcases / suitcases / suit bags etc.) to Anfield as they cannot be brought into the stadium.

Yeah, Graham Smith posted more about this on the first page.

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
We need a greater physical element to our team. We've lost goals because of our lack of physicality. Hoffenheim got joy from long balls and Watford got joy from set pieces into our box.

Let's use our squad and rotate so we are fresh for the CL, we can play our more speedy front three in the CL as we will be playing on the counter. With Palace we just need to match them and grind out a result which we should be able to do with this team:

Mig

Can Matip Klav Gomez

Grujic Hendo Gini
Origi     Dom       Surridge   

1-0 to us would be great.We need to register a clean sheet soon to build that psychological confidence.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
A hard fought 2-0 loss with Benteke scoring two headers and Klopp praising our defence at the end of the game and reiterating his belief in our perfectly planned and executed transfer window.
I am half serious about this. Klopp's recent comments about our defence has been insulting to the fans' intelligence.

Would a Benteke hat trick make you any happier?

Maybe you should get behind Palace's manager.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
We need a greater physical element to our team. We've lost goals because of our lack of physicality. Hoffenheim got joy from long balls and Watford got joy from set pieces into our box.

Let's use our squad and rotate so we are fresh for the CL, we can play our more speedy front three in the CL as we will be playing on the counter. With Palace we just need to match them and grind out a result which we should be able to do with this team:

Mig

Can Matip Klav Gomez

Grujic Hendo Gini

1-0 to us would be great.We need to register a clean sheet soon to build that psychological confidence.

No, please no. Salah and Mane can't be rested in the same game, and that back 4, well, less said the better.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan

Mig

Can Matip Klav Gomez

Grujic Hendo Gini

Do you play much Career Mode on FIFA?

Offline Claude Cat

• Sworn Enemy of Pawed Dog!
  • Anny Roader
Would save one of Salah/Mane for Hoffenheim and Arsenal, as well as give Milner and Robertson a start.
Meaning either Origi or Solanke come in and Henderson (or Can) and Moreno out.

The option of both Sturridge and one of the two wingers coming on and running ragged at 65 mins if it's still 0-0 would be grand.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:33:25 pm by Claude Cat »

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite

We're not going to show any signs of fatigue from the qualifier. Everyone will play brilliantly and losing two points in the last seconds against Watford wont be on the players minds. Also we all know how well we performed against the lower teams at home last year so there's nothing to worry about.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
No, please no. Salah and Mane can't be rested in the same game, and that back 4, well, less said the better.

Nobody should have to be rested in the third game of the season.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
Surely JK is gonna get asked about Courtinio in his pre-match press conference. Are we gonna get an update on his back or is this back injury just horse sh*t?

It's a load of bollocks

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
I'll be really interested to see how Palace approach this game. De Boer appears very firm in his belief on how the game should be player with his passing style and if they were at home I would imagine he'd keep with that, However, the world and his dog knows where our weaknesses are and they also know that they have players who can really play on them weaknesses.
I wonder whether De Boer will temporarily abandon his principles. I suspect he will do both, play his game but any free kick no matter where its from goes route 1.
Good for us that Zaha is out, although inconsistent, he can be a real threat when he wants to be.
3 home games coming, would absolutely love a clean sheet to start them off

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Yeah, Graham Smith posted more about this on the first page.

Security is clearly a bigger issue in light of the events over the Summer but they're unlikely to stop a terrorist by a search - intelligence more likely to do that.

There'll be searches and pat downs as we have all seen but it shouldn't impact greatly and be too different from last season.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
The biggest concern will be our defence not making individual error leading to goals, generally in context of high balls.
Our CB need to avoid getting pulled to far out trying to win physical battles with Benteke and need to focus on wining the 2nd ball as palace will not commit to many men forward until the last 15mins.
Force palace inside and stop crosses coming in.
Going forward should be fine but we can't rely on scoring 3+ every game.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Very nice Nick. You even spelt "despatched" right and for that I doff my cap. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
Interesting to see how they deal with bags as previous years I have taken a small rucksack if I've come home for the weekend. Will be a pain if have to pay £8 to leave it at the station

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Probably wont see much changes as at home for the next two games so fatigue should really not be an issue for most of the lads unless they have a niggling injury (think Henderson is one of those). Same lineup as Tues with Milner coming in for Moreno and maybe Origi or Solanke starting as like to see someone a little more clinical leading the line. Not sure they are but have to find out somehow otherwise Sturridge better get back asap or we could do with a striker who doesn't panic when one on one. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:36:28 am by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
Is Coutinho still on strike but collecting his £150,000 a week? What a shame.

Could've done with our best player for this, might have been nice.