Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (was NX)  (Read 111477 times)

Offline mattybeard

• Chicken Fondler. Group hug? Anyone?
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Nintendo Switch (was NX)
« Reply #640 on: January 12, 2018, 10:04:30 am »
Has anyone bothered with Pokken Tournament yet?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: January 12, 2018, 10:06:04 am »

I had it on the Wii U, quite good fun. My little lad loves it.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: January 12, 2018, 10:06:29 am »

Had a 2 minute blast on a mate’s copy. Fighting games just aren’t my cup of tea and am a bit too old to have caught the Pokemon bug. As such it felt a bit niche to me. Presentation is very slick though.

Online djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: January 12, 2018, 10:07:08 am »
What's the best screen protector for the switch? I'm a bit hesitant to use the dock after hearing how the console gets scratched so I've been using it in handheld mode since I got it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Accessory-Set-Protector/dp/B01MY7KPH1/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515751592&sr=8-5&keywords=nintendo+switch+case

the one in this is spot on

Offline mattybeard

• Chicken Fondler. Group hug? Anyone?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #644 on: January 12, 2018, 10:08:24 am »
I had it on the Wii U, quite good fun. My little lad loves it.

As a 30 year old, it's the last line that makes me think it isn't aimed at me...

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: January 12, 2018, 10:19:42 am »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Accessory-Set-Protector/dp/B01MY7KPH1/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515751592&sr=8-5&keywords=nintendo+switch+case

Mine is this one - screen protector only. Got it in a bundle deal when the switch was released and now they seem to be selling it separately:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5286836?storeID=415&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158%7Ccid:598901029%7Cagid:43323979667%7Ctid:pla-291269083655%7Ccrid:184571859992%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:15447512099614672341%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o1%7Cmt:%7Cloc:1006490&gclid=CjwKCAiA1uHSBRBUEiwAkBCtzZkRfsiri70NQmcZn0QgdQnkUnc-5tpv-mbZNhcYAD0t1HRrP4KbJBoCCNIQAvD_BwE

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: January 12, 2018, 10:53:51 am »
As a 30 year old, it's the last line that makes me think it isn't aimed at me...

Perhaps not ;D

It is basically Tekken with a Pokemon skin as far as I can tell, depends whether you’re into fighting games and/or Pokemon really. I enjoy the odd game but not really into fighting games in general although I have played a fair bit of Super Smash Bros. in my time

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: January 12, 2018, 11:06:34 am »

I’m using one from Argos which comes in a kit with a cleaning cloth and a case. Was £15 I think. You should put one on regardless really as the screen is plastic and so low on the mohs hardness scale that even a rough jumper or cleaning products will scratch it.

Nice one

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #648 on: January 12, 2018, 02:23:39 pm »
These are gonna sound like such stupid questions.

1. How do you turn this thing off? There's a sleep button on the main menu and a power off button on the actual console. Which do you guys use?

2. I find putting the Joy-Cons in the default controller the best way to play. Why do they seemingly never run out of battery though? I don't think I've connected them to the main console since purchasing. Not that I'm complaining mind.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: January 12, 2018, 03:03:30 pm »
These are gonna sound like such stupid questions.

1. How do you turn this thing off? There's a sleep button on the main menu and a power off button on the actual console. Which do you guys use?

2. I find putting the Joy-Cons in the default controller the best way to play. Why do they seemingly never run out of battery though? I don't think I've connected them to the main console since purchasing. Not that I'm complaining mind.

If you long press the power button it properly turns the console off (from memory it gives you a prompt whether or not you want to fully shut down the system). If you just sleep it (short press the power button) the battery will drain quite noticeably.

The power drain on the joycons is largely dependent on the amount of rumble in a game. I found Zelda to be good, as not a lot can happen in an hours play and so there’s not persistent rumble. But in some of the Indie titles the rumble works overtime (Mr Shifty being a pertinent example).

They should be good for between 25-40 hours though before they run out.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: January 13, 2018, 05:13:26 pm »
I imagine most people have played Mario kart on the switch now. I've noticed when I want to throw a banana or shell behind me that pressing L as shown in the help menu only works some of the time. Am I missing something here? I literally can't figure out why it's only working half the time, usually never with the shells.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: January 13, 2018, 06:17:55 pm »
I imagine most people have played Mario kart on the switch now. I've noticed when I want to throw a banana or shell behind me that pressing L as shown in the help menu only works some of the time. Am I missing something here? I literally can't figure out why it's only working half the time, usually never with the shells.

You are consciously pulling back on the thumb stick when you do it yeah? Mine’s locked into my muscle memory so might be describing it wrong, but if you pull back the moment you press L it’ll go backwards. If you’re not consciously doing it then it’ll probably just happen coincidentally.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: January 13, 2018, 06:21:45 pm »
You are consciously pulling back on the thumb stick when you do it yeah? Mine’s locked into my muscle memory so might be describing it wrong, but if you pull back the moment you press L it’ll go backwards. If you’re not consciously doing it then it’ll probably just happen coincidentally.

Oh, dunno if I'm pulling back actually. Will try That!  ;D

It's boss though, last Mario Kart I had was for the wii and it wasn't very good. This takes me back to mario kart for the snes in terms of fun
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:23:45 pm by Yulelogs Upinsmoke »

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: January 14, 2018, 09:07:16 am »
Yeah you need to pull back as you throw otherwise it’ll just throw forward.

Need to get some friend codes actually, only ever play it on my bill! 😂

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: January 17, 2018, 01:49:49 pm »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-17-nintendo-switch-announcement-tonight-to-reveal-new-interactive-experience

Interesting. I’ve been keeping tabs on the Switch and will possibly cave next time I see a really good bundle deal but given it’s success so far I’m intrigued as to where Nintendo try to take it.
"We come here for the winning!"

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #657 on: January 17, 2018, 01:57:33 pm »
Reckon it'll be something to do with their home screen. Some sort of improved Miiverse.
AHA!

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: January 17, 2018, 10:55:12 pm »
This cardboard origami shit looks dumb as hell.

So it's going to sell millions.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #659 on: January 18, 2018, 12:46:22 am »
Even by Nintendo’s standards that is a ridiculously unpredictable and bizarre idea. In the run up to every tech announcement, somebody somewhere will predict what’s going to happen. I would’ve laughed had someone suggested this though.

Not something that interests me as I can’t stand motion controls. I love the way Nintendo blaze their own trail though, if anyone can make this work it’s them.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: January 18, 2018, 12:53:52 am »
Looks interesting but you're paying £70 for fucking cardboard!

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #661 on: January 18, 2018, 02:43:38 am »
Looks interesting but you're paying £70 for fucking cardboard!
You get the game/software with that too.

I know people joke that Nintendo stuff is aimed for kids, but on this occasion I think it’s genuinely true. Don’t think me and you are the target audience for this one.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: January 18, 2018, 07:18:35 am »
This cardboard origami shit looks dumb as hell.

So it's going to sell millions.

It’s for really young kids. What’s it meant to look like?

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #663 on: January 19, 2018, 09:38:32 am »
Finally got one coming this afternoon, with Odyssey and MK8. Skipped the WiiU, first Ninty console I'd ever skipped, so to say I'm excited is an understatement.

Think I'll finish Odyssey before grabbing Zelda. Splatoon 2 any cop?
AHA!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: January 19, 2018, 10:02:39 am »
Splatoon 2 any cop?

No idea, I'm still playing the first one ;D

If it's anything like, I'm sure its well worth a go though

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: January 19, 2018, 02:05:37 pm »

Think I'll finish Odyssey before grabbing Zelda.

This is a good idea, and something I done. Anyone that is getting a few games to start which include Zelda as one of them, leave it to last. You won't be able to go back to playing any of the other games after starting Zelda.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: January 19, 2018, 03:35:24 pm »
This is a good idea, and something I done. Anyone that is getting a few games to start which include Zelda as one of them, leave it to last. You won't be able to go back to playing any of the other games after starting Zelda.

I'm managing to juggle Zelda and Mario Kart atm. Got Oddesey too but not been on it much.

What's coming down the line for the switch then? I've already played doom and the other ports that they are bringing out a while back. Anything else to be aware of?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: January 19, 2018, 03:56:27 pm »
I'm managing to juggle Zelda and Mario Kart atm. Got Oddesey too but not been on it much.

What's coming down the line for the switch then? I've already played doom and the other ports that they are bringing out a while back. Anything else to be aware of?

Cardboard peripherals.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #668 on: January 19, 2018, 04:16:07 pm »
Cardboard peripherals.

gonna get the fishing rod one if they release an internet browser, can start posting on GOT then and reel them in ;D

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #669 on: January 19, 2018, 04:47:09 pm »
Metroid, Mario Tennis, Kirby. One that I'm looking forward to is the new Yoshi game.

Be amazed if they don't port over the WiiU Mario Maker and Smash Bros.
AHA!

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: January 19, 2018, 04:49:29 pm »
gonna get the fishing rod one if they release an internet browser, can start posting on GOT then and reel them in ;D

They're so angry on there you can just go catch them like a catfish!

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: January 20, 2018, 01:17:37 am »
Only Nintendo can come up with an idea like that and get away with it. And if they are selling off cardboard - even though you're really buying a game - they were going to use for other stuff (like the Wii U) then they're geniuses. You'll get a lot of gamer snob assholes sneering at it, though, I'm sure. If it gets kids - and their parents - being proactive with each other and taking part in arts and crafts that goes with the game, then it's brilliant.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: January 20, 2018, 06:57:02 am »
Only Nintendo can come up with an idea like that and get away with it. And if they are selling off cardboard - even though you're really buying a game - they were going to use for other stuff (like the Wii U) then they're geniuses. You'll get a lot of gamer snob assholes sneering at it, though, I'm sure. If it gets kids - and their parents - being proactive with each other and taking part in arts and crafts that goes with the game, then it's brilliant.

It's obviously pretty retro but couldn't be done without the portability and modern design of the switch. If I was a 7 year old like my kid is now to me this would look pretty rad.

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #673 on: January 20, 2018, 03:12:19 pm »
Really, really impressed. Feel like I'm doing the games a disservice by playing them in handheld mode, they're far too beautiful, Odyssey especially.

I know it's never gonna be their market, but their home screen and online service just feels massively lacking. Maybe it'll improve when the subscription kicks in, but they're not gonna sway anyone using it for free right now.
AHA!

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: January 20, 2018, 03:15:26 pm »
Really, really impressed. Feel like I'm doing the games a disservice by playing them in handheld mode, they're far too beautiful, Odyssey especially.

I know it's never gonna be their market, but their home screen and online service just feels massively lacking. Maybe it'll improve when the subscription kicks in, but they're not gonna sway anyone using it for free right now.

I expect we'll get a massive update before Easter (is my prediction). Hulu is already live on the US Store and Youtube is imminent I believe. Once the third party apps are approved, I think it will be far more compelling (and means I can sell my ipad)

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: January 20, 2018, 09:19:55 pm »
Bought Mario + Rabbids and it's been a blast so far. Loved the new X-COM games and this takes the best parts of it, adds a few neat tricks (the movement mechanics are brilliant) and practically turns it into a puzzle game. Highly recommended. Also, Oxenfree seems like a decent and original indie game and it's 75% off at the moment.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #676 on: January 22, 2018, 12:04:48 pm »

I’ve recently started trying out handheld mode more and whilst I love it, I have the same feeling as you of not doing the game justice. It’s a testament to how beautiful Zelda is.

I agree with you on the home screen too. I use other stuff for apps and whatnot so I guess it’s not a big deal for me. Quite nice to have a UI where the games are the sole focus...and yet something about it does feel bland.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: January 27, 2018, 09:40:31 am »
Love the simplicity of this little machine. Hope it gets the virtual console stuff later down the line.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: January 27, 2018, 10:35:12 am »
zero gunner 2 is now on the e store. recall zero gunner was a great shooter on the dreamcast.
- all in my opinion of course -

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: January 27, 2018, 10:52:17 am »
I can tell I’m near the end of Mario Odyssey now and I’m gutted it’s nearly over.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]