Author Topic: Lazar Markovic  (Read 145155 times)

Offline solidgold

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lazar Markovic
« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2016, 09:48:18 am »
when he gets on the ball i always want him to just try and take on a player or two. he has definitely got the pace for it, to me he seems to always opt for the safe option which is why he never stands out, a few nice touches today but i still expect him to do more, it looks like hes got it in him to do so.

I was watching him closely when we first signed him up during BR era. He was carrying such a hefty price tag that he was just too cautious on the pitch. Too afraid to commit, beat a man, put in a tough challenge, ask for the ball or even take a pot shot at goal. Most of the time he was keeping it simple. Playing it short and square when I was expecting alot more. I am sure many fans out there wanted him to do hell of a lot more, given the natural flair he has. He was asked to ply the wings and I thought he did alot better in a couple of games when he played in the hole behind the striker. I am sure Klopp will throw him a few more games to ascertain if he is indeed worthwhile keeping. 20m is not a cheap buy.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2016, 10:05:54 am »
As much as anything, I think it will be the youngsters that do it for Markovic. He's still only 22, but when teenagers can come in and offer the same level of talent but also the the fearlessness and intensity that he fundamentally lacks, well, then for me his days are numbered.

Nail on head springs immediately to mind. When you look at someone like Ben Woodburn, essentially a kid, coming in and scoring 2 in pre-season, as well as lads like Ryan Kent and Ovie Ejaria catching your eye, then for Markovic it should be a wake-up call to raise his game. Clearly they are very early experimental games, and no indication of long term potential, but Klopp loves that rawness that he can then nurture, shape and polish into a gem.

But y'know, Markovic just looks like he can't be arsed. Does he even want to be a footballer? For someone built up as being a great talent, then to be such a let down, is more infuriating than disappointing. Ok, there are the odd moments of brilliance, but we need more than odd moments. For me, and with the greatest of respect, he should be given the chance to move on for the sake of his career and the benefit of the team.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2016, 11:15:38 am »
Nail on head springs immediately to mind. When you look at someone like Ben Woodburn, essentially a kid, coming in and scoring 2 in pre-season, as well as lads like Ryan Kent and Ovie Ejaria catching your eye, then for Markovic it should be a wake-up call to raise his game. Clearly they are very early experimental games, and no indication of long term potential, but Klopp loves that rawness that he can then nurture, shape and polish into a gem.

But y'know, Markovic just looks like he can't be arsed. Does he even want to be a footballer? For someone built up as being a great talent, then to be such a let down, is more infuriating than disappointing. Ok, there are the odd moments of brilliance, but we need more than odd moments. For me, and with the greatest of respect, he should be given the chance to move on for the sake of his career and the benefit of the team.

I think the youngster have caught the eye in pre-season but remember who we have played.

The youth is good but has inexperience. Some players can and will be put into first team and big games and handle it, others won't. People put too much pressure on some and too much praise on others, it's pre-season, it's mostly to make observations on fitness and the like until the bigger games, remember that Oxford or whatever guy at West Ham, he went back down to Rserves/U21 again because even though he had one or two big games that caught the eye that is not what it's all about, consistency is key and you don't tend to get that from youngsters all the time.

Ben Woodburn might be catching the eye now but will he do the same against Chelsea and Barcelona? I would say Markovic has more of a chance of doing that than young Ben, although I would very happily be proved wrong.

Markovic is a very talented player, I deffo don't think "he can't be bothered" I think some players just have a more relaxed style, he plays good football and has been keeping it simple, almost playing percentage football instead of allowing his natural flair to flourish which makes him seem more basic than he really is.

I think he will come good, it's an optimistic view but I have seen him in the Portuguese league and he was a class talent, I honestly hope he takes that up a level with us, but sometimes some players flourish in some clubs and some don't, only time will tell.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: August 5, 2016, 11:32:53 pm »
Good words from Klopp about Markovic tonight. Says that his place at Liverpool is still not secure, but he has been impressed with his attitude and effort during preseason.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #204 on: August 5, 2016, 11:45:10 pm »
Good words from Klopp about Markovic tonight. Says that his place at Liverpool is still not secure, but he has been impressed with his attitude and effort during preseason.

Thats nailed on the club will take 12 million for him and bin him off... hes done nothing in preseason of any.note. for a player whos been away on loan then coming back the lack of urgency in him is worrying. He wont make it here, too many player ahead of him and he should be moved on

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #205 on: August 5, 2016, 11:51:52 pm »

Interesting. There's still just about room on the squad list, although he's not going to get many starts to begin with.

Thats nailed on the club will take 12 million for him and bin him off... hes done nothing in preseason of any.note. for a player whos been away on loan then coming back the lack of urgency in him is worrying. He wont make it here, too many player ahead of him and he should be moved on

Well, I was going to go with Jurgen Klopp's opinion, but I'm sure you know best.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: August 6, 2016, 12:04:39 am »
Interesting. There's still just about room on the squad list, although he's not going to get many starts to begin with.

I am glad that Klopp is pleased with his attitude and effort. We know how much he rates that. Markovic's talent is not questionable. Getting a place on the 23-men squad will be a good 2nd start for him at Liverpool.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-boss-klopp-praises-markovic-11712005
« Last Edit: August 6, 2016, 12:33:30 am by PeterTheRed »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #207 on: August 6, 2016, 12:43:15 am »
I am glad that Klopp is pleased with his attitude and effort. We know how much he rates that. Markovic's talent is not questionable. Getting a place on the 23-men squad will be a good 2nd start for him at Liverpool.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-boss-klopp-praises-markovic-11712005

His talent is very questionable. We want players who can play in the top 4 in the toughest league in the world.
What's he done in his career to show he can do that? what is he exceptional at? what can he give to a team that we don't have, done better by others?
He can run fast but mostly in straight lines, has decent touch and can pass well when he has time and he works quite hard off the ball.... that's about it. It's not enough for us.

By the way not sure when people are going to twig that Klopp praises every player he's asked about in our squad. Don't think I've ever heard him do anything else but talk them up. Doubt Markovic will be here when the window closes

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: August 6, 2016, 12:50:27 am »
His talent is very questionable. We want players who can play in the top 4 in the toughest league in the world.
What's he done in his career to show he can do that? what is he exceptional at? what can he give to a team that we don't have, done better by others?
He can run fast but mostly in straight lines, has decent touch and can pass well when he has time and he works quite hard off the ball.... that's about it. It's not enough for us.

By the way not sure when people are going to twig that Klopp praises every player he's asked about in our squad. Don't think I've ever heard him do anything else but talk them up. Doubt Markovic will be here when the window closes

I understand that Klopp's words tonight came as a blow to the people who don't rate Markovic, but lets give our manager the benefit of the doubt. If he feels that Markovic can contrinute to our team and keeps him beyond August 31st, than he obviously sees the same things as the people who rate Markovic, myself included.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #209 on: August 6, 2016, 12:53:19 am »
Nice words but hardly reassurance that the player has much of a future here.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #210 on: August 6, 2016, 12:53:44 am »
I understand that Klopp's words tonight came as a blow to the people who don't rate Markovic, but lets give our manager the benefit of the doubt. If he feels that Markovic can contrinute to our team and keeps him beyond August 31st, than he obviously sees the same things as the people who rate Markovic, myself included.

Like I said - klopp talks everyone up; it means very little one way or the other.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: August 6, 2016, 12:57:11 am »
Not convinced one way or the other from Klopps comments tonight. Definitely positive towards the player but hardly reassuring surrounding his future here. If he stays or goes good luck to him... Still young but much more suitable leagues for him. 

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: August 6, 2016, 12:59:16 am »
Nice words but hardly reassurance that the player has much of a future here.

Well, many people thought that Markovic is as good as gone. That is obviously not the case. He must have done some things right in preseason, so Klopp is keeping his option open. He might still leave if a very good offer arrives, but those words from Klopp pretty much confirm that he won't be sent on loan, or sold on the cheap.

Offline Gonza

• Main Stander
« Reply #213 on: August 6, 2016, 04:37:19 am »
I'm hopeful he stays, he is a player I'd like us to give an opportunity to. The only way he is going is if LFC gets a decent offer for him (to offset his fee) so I think his chances of sticking around this season is quite good. That means he will be given an opportunity in the cups etc to thrive in his preferred position such as on the wings.

I think he will surprise people once he gets confidence back in his legs. That may explain why he's had relatively decent outings during preseason. His performances have been reasonable and I'm glad Klopp recognises his limitations with injury. I only saw one occasion when he turned on the after-burners to test the hammys. Certainly suggests he is playing within himself.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #214 on: August 6, 2016, 08:23:27 am »
Klopp's a very good salesman.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: August 6, 2016, 08:29:45 am »
Was it just me or did anyone else think Klopp's comments were basically, He a talent, he has a great attitude, but as hes come off injury hes a risk, but one we are not concerned to take. However if a great offer comes in we are willing to negotiate as we have to make some tough changes to the squad?
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #216 on: August 6, 2016, 08:32:36 am »

Yep. Last thing you do if you want to sell something/someone at a decent price, is tell everyone the thing you're trying to sell isn't that good really.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #217 on: August 6, 2016, 08:33:38 am »
I remember Klopp waxing lyrical about Ibe too. I'd like to see Marko stay with us for the season but if an offer comes in, I think he'll be let go.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #218 on: August 6, 2016, 08:36:34 am »
I remember Klopp waxing lyrical about Ibe too.

As Jack has already said, he does the same for everyone. I don't think I've ever heard him talking really negatively about one of our players. Even Balotelli. Just said it would be difficult for him to get a game here.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #219 on: August 6, 2016, 09:26:42 am »

He's made an assist. How many midfielders have done that in preseason?

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: August 6, 2016, 12:12:44 pm »
Was it just me or did anyone else think Klopp's comments were basically, He a talent, he has a great attitude, but as hes come off injury hes a risk, but one we are not concerned to take. However if a great offer comes in we are willing to negotiate as we have to make some tough changes to the squad?

Yes. I don't see a queue of clubs lining up for him though, especially since he'd be cheaper in January or next summer when there's just one year left on his contract, so I expect he'll stay and if he's here, he has the opportunity to work himself into the line-up. If he can't do that, he's not good enough, but he might finally get the chance and that's all you can ask for.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #221 on: August 6, 2016, 12:38:17 pm »
Yes. I don't see a queue of clubs lining up for him though, especially since he'd be cheaper in January or next summer when there's just one year left on his contract, so I expect he'll stay and if he's here, he has the opportunity to work himself into the line-up. If he can't do that, he's not good enough, but he might finally get the chance and that's all you can ask for.

There weren't a queue of clubs for Coutinho and Sturridge, either.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #222 on: August 6, 2016, 01:47:34 pm »
If a good offer came in, I think Klopp will let him go. He's fairly far down in the pecking order and won't get much playing time.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #223 on: August 6, 2016, 01:59:41 pm »

what i think. the fact he's talking about him at all mean's he's probably under offer.

Offline woolage

• Main Stander
  • Did you smash it?
« Reply #224 on: August 6, 2016, 02:16:24 pm »

Agreed. When we were linked with Markovic I checked out a few Benfica games and, to be honest, was somewhat underwhelmed anyway. People were labelling him as this amazing talent but even his 'best-bits' YouTube videos weren't that impressive. I was still optimistic when we signed him but I was far from over the moon about it. This might sound overly simplistic but his main talent at Benfica was his pace. So often he'd just kick it and run - with his pace coupled with below average defenders maybe making him look better than he is. During his first season with us I saw glimpses of real quality, though and at times I was surprised by the intelligence of some of his passes. There's a player in there for sure but I don't think he's good enough to play in a side pushing for top 4 in any of the big leagues (Italy, Germany, England or Spain). I can see him back at Benfica soon to be honest. Maybe he jut moved too early. We shall see! Prove me wrong Marko!
« Last Edit: August 6, 2016, 02:19:14 pm by woolage »

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: August 6, 2016, 02:24:36 pm »
There is more to the lad than pace. He can play lovely grass-cutter diagonal passes behind a defence, perfect for a nippy striker to chase down. He has to be in the right position, though, or on the field with the right striker, which he never was under Rodgers. And in fairness Rodgers had more on his plate than bedding in a player he didn't seem to like, but it was ultimately his decision to sign the kid, whatever he says.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: August 6, 2016, 02:30:15 pm »
Just don't think the lad is of the requisite quality. Simple as that really.

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #227 on: August 6, 2016, 02:34:11 pm »
Not good enough for where we aim to be.  Best for all parties if he's moved on now IMO.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #228 on: August 6, 2016, 03:23:09 pm »
Yep. Last thing you do if you want to sell something/someone at a decent price, is tell everyone the thing you're trying to sell isn't that good really.

"I'm selling a beautiful Mercedes. It's 25 years old, it's a category D and needs a new clutch and gearbox. The engine was replaced 5 years ago but is starting to sound dodgy and the airbags don't work. The speedometer stops working at 70 (if you can get it to go that fast) and it hasn't been valeted in about a decade. I only want 10 grand for it."

"No problem, Mr Toure, I'll have it."

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #229 on: August 6, 2016, 03:40:56 pm »
Where was the justification of a 20m pricetag? Im not having a go at Lazar but how did the club come to think he was worth 20m. I dont understand.
Talent is just that- "talent".

We want the Jesus', Ronaldos, Raheems of this world, but then the same people who want US to uncover that talent are not prepared to lose when most(and most of those are flops) don't turn out well.

This is the game- you take a gamble and sign talented players and most of them will not turn out to be the player you hoped they'd turn out to be. In some case- at least you can recoup some of your fees. That's about enough- then it's on to the next one.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #230 on: August 6, 2016, 04:14:33 pm »
Talent is just that- "talent".

We want the Jesus', Ronaldos, Raheems of this world, but then the same people who want US to uncover that talent are not prepared to lose when most(and most of those are flops) don't turn out well.

This is the game- you take a gamble and sign talented players and most of them will not turn out to be the player you hoped they'd turn out to be. In some case- at least you can recoup some of your fees. That's about enough- then it's on to the next one.

Exactly is he'd have turned out to be the next big thing 20m would have been peanuts.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: August 6, 2016, 04:24:43 pm »

Maybe, but he is also a brilliant talent developer, and I know what quality of Klopp I would like to see in Markovic's case.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: August 6, 2016, 07:22:27 pm »
Yeah the kid is talentless.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 6, 2016, 07:29:09 pm »
I really want Markovic to stay, i think at some point he is going to come out of his shell and be a top player, we've seen flashes, and that assist today was very clever.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #234 on: August 6, 2016, 07:33:39 pm »
I really want Markovic to stay, i think at some point he is going to come out of his shell and be a top player, we've seen flashes, and that assist today was very clever.
A nice combination of assist and goal from our Serbian contingency. Maybe they will be good for each other.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline MakeUsDream2005

• Kopite
  • We are Liverpool tra la la la la!
« Reply #235 on: August 6, 2016, 07:40:02 pm »
That was a brilliant, underrated assist for Grujic today. Hopefully he stays and Klopp can work with him.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #236 on: August 6, 2016, 07:45:27 pm »
Tasty assist, a reminder of his quality. Just needs to do it more often.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #237 on: August 6, 2016, 07:53:17 pm »
Hope he sticks around. Can't have too much depth out wide, and he finally seems to be appearing from his shell. Had a good preseason.

Offline RedEire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #238 on: August 6, 2016, 07:58:10 pm »
He just needs to take the shackles off, looks like he plays within himself a lot of the time, there is a very talented player in there for sure! The champions league game in which he got sent off in was probably the only time he looked like he had a bit of fire in his belly, hope he can bring that fight a little more into his game!
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine.Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: August 6, 2016, 08:09:08 pm »
Happy for Markovic, he's quite quick upstairs but sometimes lacks that belief or fire in his belly but he is a good little player.

I think he needs more aggression, more self confidence,  more arrogance, more selfish,  just a little tougher in all aspects really and then who knows how good he could be.

When he first joined I think people (me Inc) expected a pace merchant and that hasnt really materialised but he has got good technique, intelligent passing, if only he just believed in himself and stuck his chest out a bit more.

If he stays hopefully Klopp can develop that side.