Poll

How do you think Suarez will do at Barcelona?

Better than Messi
Messi level
Sub Messi, better than Eto'o, Ibrahimovic etc. Ronaldinho maybe.
Pedro level
Flop

Author Topic: Luis Suarez  (Read 543961 times)

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
Re: Luis Suarez
« Reply #3960 on: July 9, 2017, 01:14:58 pm »
Luis is, by the way, the most talented player I have ever seen in red. But not by miles as you would suggest. My opinion is that there is barely anything in it when it comes to technique between the likes of Barnes, Suarez, Torres etc. Although I was too young for Barnes so am basing on what I have heard and seen on youtube. The thing that made Suarez so special was the things he could think of in his mind. If Torres or Barnes could think of those things, there is no doubt in the slightest for me that they could pull them off. The thing is, nobody else could think of the things Luis did. That was what made him great. His mind was so unique. He is the greatest improviser I've ever seen.
I think that's where we differ (amicably!), there is a doubt in my mind that they could trivially do that thing Luis just did like it was nothing, the fucking nutcase. And that includes suddenly deciding to dine on an opponent
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #3961 on: July 9, 2017, 01:20:00 pm »
I'd always value a midfielder with those attributes over a striker though. Suarez couldn't play central midfield. When you have a world class midfielder who contributes significantly to the team's goals then it's like having a 12 men on the pitch. Add to that he was a box to box player as well and could win the ball back, start and end a move almost by himself.
Totally fair, and maybe I'm doing that old thing of being too attacker-centric here.

We really resist the claims of defenders and 'keepers deep down with these things, don't we? If I put a defender or goalie in my top 20 or so of all time, it would totally just be a token gesture that I made myself do, reluctactly. Have there been any that truly matched up to the very greatest attackers in terms of applied skill? So hard to judge and say.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3962 on: July 9, 2017, 01:23:26 pm »
Totally fair, and maybe I'm doing that old thing of being too attacker-centric here.

We really resist the claims of defenders and 'keepers deep down with these things, don't we? If I put a defender or goalie in my top 20 or so of all time, it would totally just be a token gesture that I made myself do, reluctactly. Have there been any that truly matched up to the very greatest attackers in terms of applied skill? So hard to judge and say.
It's a shame that football is all about the goals now, it's reflected in the lack of truly great defenders currently playing. Everyone wants to be a striker.

For me Gerrard remains the best I've ever seen because of his all round ability. I can't remember what game it was from but I'll always remember the quote from the commentator that summed him up perfectly. Something like "he strides around the pitch like a colossus, winning tackles, tracking back, and then when his team needed something special, scores 2 goals in 5 minutes.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #3963 on: July 9, 2017, 03:25:11 pm »
I always refrain from watching Barcelona because I don't want to watch him play anymore since leaving us. I was out taking a bike ride during the 2015 CL final entirely on purpose.

The third bite and then the move still make me livid when I think about the bond he could've had with us and the way he threw us under the bus repeatedly. I think too many Reds give him way too easy of a pass considering all the off-field trouble he caused by losing his head not once or twice (Evra), not three times (Ivanovic), not four times (Arsenal saga) but five times (Chiellini) while being on our books. Granted a tremendous player but that disciplinary record... damn... it was bad. Heck losing your temper uncontrollably more in 2.5 years than Man Utd have won European Cups is a tad impressive...

Good player but so "me me me" all the time and still probably only one bite from a lifetime ban and not getting any younger either. I'd rather not have him back to be honest  :) I prefer watching old highlight reels of how good he was between his mental breakdowns!
« Last Edit: July 9, 2017, 03:32:00 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #3964 on: July 9, 2017, 03:47:02 pm »
It's neither nonsense nor bollocks, that's the over-egging if anything going on here - we haven't had another striker who did with the ball what he would pretty regularly do with the ball, that's the short and tall of it for me. It's fine and totally welcome if you want to argue against that personally-held position, but I've very specifically defined what it is I mean (and no, not that Suarez is "the best Liverpool player", I don't have him top of that list), and provided the obligatory youtube video with daft annoying soundtrack to boot.

It's really a stupid disagreement here. People are disagreeing with you over the margins given you went for the hyperbole that's really it. If Suarez, imagination and all included, is the best technical player (or whatever) to play for us then it's only really by a fine margin over the likes of Barnes.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #3965 on: July 9, 2017, 04:08:20 pm »
It's really a stupid disagreement here. People are disagreeing with you over the margins given you went for the hyperbole that's really it. If Suarez, imagination and all included, is the best technical player (or whatever) to play for us then it's only really by a fine margin over the likes of Barnes.
I don't personally think the margins are that fine in that very specific aspect, but I accept that 'easily top' and 'streets ahead' can be instinctively taken to mean he's being claimed to be the far superior player overall, when there's shitloads on top of his technique that made Barnes formidable. I'm not certain as others are that Digger would produce the sort of things we've seen from Luis if he'd thought of it, but he'd very likely do something else more in keeping with his own style of play which would result in a belter of a goal anyway.

As has been mentioned, in another altogether different aspect of being a great professional footballer, Suarez has let himself (and us) down time after time. You didn't get that with our other legends, you got reliability and the edge to technical quality that the addition of exceptional athleticism can bring, and so on. But the fact that he's crazy in the coconut probably helps his game more than it hinders it.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #3966 on: July 9, 2017, 06:09:32 pm »
I'd always value a midfielder with those attributes over a striker though. Suarez couldn't play central midfield. When you have a world class midfielder who contributes significantly to the team's goals then it's like having 12 men on the pitch. Add to that he was a box to box player as well and could win the ball back, start and end a move almost by himself.

I remember seeing Gerrard playing CB in a World XI game once. Still looking like one of the best on the pitch and did his quarterback thing with great aplomb. Think it was one of those team Ronaldo v team Zidane games. Not sure.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3967 on: July 9, 2017, 06:18:08 pm »
I remember seeing Gerrard playing CB in a World XI game once. Still looking like one of the best on the pitch and did his quarterback thing with great aplomb. Think it was one of those team Ronaldo v team Zidane games. Not sure.
You could play him in any outfield position and he'd be the best player on the pitch. A once in a generation talent.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #3968 on: July 13, 2017, 03:48:41 am »
Even with the technical ability argument, Gerrard could do things with a football that defied physics.

Gerrard's biggest attributes were quite obviously his range of passing, his long range shooting (and close ranging finishing) ability, and his pace and his power. But his technical ability is SO underrated. Some of the stuff he pulled off was incredible - that Marseille goal for instance. It wasn't just another "hit the ball hard from a distance" goal (of which he has so many). Also recall there was one incident where the ball was dropping into the penalty area almost near the goal line, Gerrard's back was turned to it and he was running...how he got it under control and past the defender in one touch as it came down is still an absolute mystery to me. Anyone know which game this was? I've seen a short clip of it somewhere on YouTube but it was embedded into a much larger video.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3969 on: July 13, 2017, 10:01:08 am »
The time he won player of the year in this country. He was something else weren't he.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3970 on: July 14, 2017, 06:49:48 am »
Really dont understand the love ex players recieve who forced moves elsewhere. Wish the club wouldnt interview him. Same with Alonso, putting in a transfer request two weeks before the start of the season and fucking us over big time.

"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #3971 on: July 14, 2017, 07:42:22 am »
Really dont understand the love ex players recieve who forced moves elsewhere. Wish the club wouldnt interview him. Same with Alonso, putting in a transfer request two weeks before the start of the season and fucking us over big time.
Transfer requests are part of the machinery of the transfer market, nothing more.

They have both repeatedly expressed their love and regard for our club whilst playing for someone else. What's difficult to appreciate about that?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3972 on: July 14, 2017, 07:47:18 am »
They gave us a lot during their time here, to be fair.

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #3973 on: July 16, 2017, 12:00:27 pm »
Luis Suarez what LFC means to me: full interview;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yoSw2Q_WmM
There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3974 on: July 17, 2017, 03:43:00 am »
What I loved about Luis was how he always looked like he'd just broken out of arkham asylum. Just a complete nutter when he crossed that white line.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #3975 on: July 17, 2017, 01:52:22 pm »
Suarez never put a transfer request in, unlike say...Gerrard.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3976 on: July 17, 2017, 08:28:11 pm »
Suarez never put a transfer request in, unlike say...Gerrard.
He just went to the media, who he deemed the reason he had to leave in the first place, and said the club were all liars cause he wanted to go to ARSENAL. Gave up trying in training to the point he was excluded from the main group. Then later used his biting another player to engineer a way out of the club. Much more respectable.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #3977 on: July 18, 2017, 11:32:29 am »
He just went to the media, who he deemed the reason he had to leave in the first place, and said the club were all liars cause he wanted to go to ARSENAL. Gave up trying in training to the point he was excluded from the main group. Then later used his biting another player to engineer a way out of the club. Much more respectable.
Well that's because it did turn out in the end that the club were in fact liars, and promised him a move to a CL team if an offer over 40mil came and it did - Henry just over-ruled it, thank Fowler.

I don't buy the conspiracy that he bit to engineer a move from us, Barca would buy him either way and he wouldn't sacrifice Uruguay's chances, knowingly like that, finally he's not that clever.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #3978 on: July 18, 2017, 04:13:36 pm »
He's the best player I've ever watched in the flesh

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3979 on: August 14, 2017, 04:33:32 pm »
Great player but horrible cheat
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #3980 on: August 17, 2017, 02:22:15 pm »
Out for 5 weeks according to Uruguay FA.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3981 on: August 17, 2017, 02:23:14 pm »
Barca managed to break Luis, terrible club all around.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #3982 on: August 17, 2017, 02:42:26 pm »
International break in 10 days so won't miss that many games.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3983 on: August 17, 2017, 03:19:47 pm »
Come on Luis, fuck them twats off and come home.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #3984 on: August 17, 2017, 08:55:20 pm »
I didn't know he could be injured. Hope Barca lose every single game while he's out.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3985 on: August 17, 2017, 11:13:44 pm »
Gerrard's biggest attributes were quite obviously his range of passing, his long range shooting (and close ranging finishing) ability, and his pace and his power. But his technical ability is SO underrated. Some of the stuff he pulled off was incredible - that Marseille goal for instance. It wasn't just another "hit the ball hard from a distance" goal (of which he has so many). Also recall there was one incident where the ball was dropping into the penalty area almost near the goal line, Gerrard's back was turned to it and he was running...how he got it under control and past the defender in one touch as it came down is still an absolute mystery to me. Anyone know which game this was? I've seen a short clip of it somewhere on YouTube but it was embedded into a much larger video.

Think it was a 4-0 win at home to Stoke in August 2009? Think Kuyt scored from it?

Pretty ropey clip of it! https://youtu.be/Iedv71ILxQ4
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:24:12 pm by Crosby Nick »

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3986 on: August 19, 2017, 04:50:35 am »
Come on Luis, fuck them twats off and come home.

That is his home, not here.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #3987 on: August 19, 2017, 05:44:44 am »
Think it was a 4-0 win at home to Stoke in August 2009? Think Kuyt scored from it?

Pretty ropey clip of it! https://youtu.be/Iedv71ILxQ4

That's the one. Absolutely ridiculous level of skill and awareness. He was capable of the otherwordly - he just didn't need to on most occassion. Made Arsenal look like mugs with some level of skill too.

I think it was also in the Real Madrid 4-0 game where he made an absolute mug of Sergio Ramos with a beautiful shimmy of the shoulder.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #3988 on: August 25, 2017, 08:53:34 pm »

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3989 on: August 26, 2017, 08:01:21 am »
Amazes me still that people think he planned to bite Chiellini to facilitate his departure from us

He would clearly run through brick walls for Uruguay.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3990 on: August 26, 2017, 09:08:40 pm »
Amazes me still that people think he planned to bite Chiellini to facilitate his departure from us
amazes me more that when that happened we had people here saying he didn't bite him and believing that bullshite story he  (and uruguay) came out with where "chiellini shouldet hit suarez' teeth"

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3991 on: November 8, 2017, 12:10:52 pm »
Disappoints me greatly that Suarez would come out and say stuff like this about Coutinho and him wanting to move to Barcelona: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11118377/luis-suarez-says-philippe-coutinho-has-ambition-to-join-barcelona
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3992 on: November 8, 2017, 12:13:10 pm »
Disappoints me greatly that Suarez would come out and say stuff like this about Coutinho and him wanting to move to Barcelona: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11118377/luis-suarez-says-philippe-coutinho-has-ambition-to-join-barcelona

He's not really said anything though. Was asked a direct question and pretty much said how good he is (he is) and that he must have the ambition to join Barca as he tried to do so (he did).

Doesn't appear to have said he should join, or should try again, or that Barca must sign him, etc.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #3993 on: November 8, 2017, 02:06:01 pm »
He should worry more about his own decline this season.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3994 on: November 8, 2017, 02:14:52 pm »

Yep, I was saying they should've sold him this summer and I've seen nothing to say I was wrong. He's come back to the pack rapidly.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3995 on: November 8, 2017, 02:17:32 pm »

This. Saying that I'd have him here in an instant.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3996 on: November 8, 2017, 02:17:53 pm »
He can quite rightly fuck off with those comments.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3997 on: November 8, 2017, 03:07:36 pm »

You'll only be surprised if you do like some on here and push Suarez to fandom that should only be associated with the true greats of this club like  Gerrard and King Kenny, the truth is Suarez couldn't wait to leave this club(and did), even if it was to make a side step.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3998 on: November 8, 2017, 03:40:22 pm »
He should shut his big toothy mouth.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3999 on: November 8, 2017, 04:35:55 pm »
He’s carrying an injury.