Author Topic: Daniel Agger  (Read 394673 times)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Daniel Agger
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 10:08:34 pm »
I feel bad for him, they missed out on the play-offs by one point as France just managed to get that final play off place.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 10:13:10 pm »
Shame for dagger but good for us as he gets a bit of a rest next summer

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 10:22:33 pm »
I do realise Skrtel has been playing well, but I feel the other 3 simply offer more.
You don't drop a player when he's playing well though, it sends out the wrong message. If Agger is outperforming him in training then yes play him otherwise he just has to wait for his chance to reclaim his place.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline dr.dracco

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 11:08:01 pm »
Skrtel has been excellent so far this season...he seems to have his 08/09, 10/11 and 11/12 form back. He was not so bad even last season as he was made to be, because nobody was calling for his change with Carra until it suddenly happened, and he was not worse than Agger who was awful bar the last two months of last season.

He is at least on par with Sakho and Toure so far, and Agger simply has to wait. He has made so far couple of stupid mistakes that haven´t been punished, he was directly responsible for the goal from Lovren, and he should not get back in team in no fucking way for anyone of our cureent three regulars.

If Agger stepped into the team now instead of Skrtel, it would be a real kick in Martin´s  balls from Brendan for the second time, this tíme witout any reason.

And I think that if no injury or suspension occur, then Agger will likely replace Sakho...Both are leftfooted, Sakho is by far the youngest of the 4 CBs we had to find place for, so he would probably accept it easier than Kolo or Martin.

But Agger has to wait, he is used to it.

Offline LoubySoho

• Main Stander
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 11:26:53 pm »
Agger was not awful last season!

Skrtel, toure, Enrique and sakho have all made mistakes that haven't been punished and some that have like the goals against swansea, Manchester united and Sunderland but for some reason Aggers are the only ones that people seem to pick up on.

Is Johnson going to come straight back in the team for Henderson whos also been playing well?

Can't we just feel sorry for him for one night instead of using it as a reason to slay him off again

Offline Messiah

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2013, 11:59:40 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TCqJbX-5fyo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TCqJbX-5fyo</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cMdP3tQtJsQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cMdP3tQtJsQ</a>
Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 08:25:18 am »

Is Johnson going to come straight back in the team for Henderson whos also been playing well?

Yes, yes he is.

Offline Dagger/Molby

• Anny Roader
  • This is anfield - Remember YNWA
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 09:49:18 am »
Skrtel has been excellent so far this season...he seems to have his 08/09, 10/11 and 11/12 form back. He was not so bad even last season as he was made to be, because nobody was calling for his change with Carra until it suddenly happened, and he was not worse than Agger who was awful bar the last two months of last season.

He is at least on par with Sakho and Toure so far, and Agger simply has to wait. He has made so far couple of stupid mistakes that haven´t been punished, he was directly responsible for the goal from Lovren, and he should not get back in team in no fucking way for anyone of our cureent three regulars.

If Agger stepped into the team now instead of Skrtel, it would be a real kick in Martin´s  balls from Brendan for the second time, this tíme witout any reason.

And I think that if no injury or suspension occur, then Agger will likely replace Sakho...Both are leftfooted, Sakho is by far the youngest of the 4 CBs we had to find place for, so he would probably accept it easier than Kolo or Martin.

But Agger has to wait, he is used to it.

Why is it that you turn every Agger Thread into a Skrtl Thread?? Christ....

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 09:58:52 am »
Class act right there.

I think some of these footballers don't understand the influence they have.  That took all of 30 seconds and he made that kid's day and the rest of the lads seemed pretty happy too.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2013, 11:54:29 am »
The fact that we can keep this guy on the bench at the moment says a lot about how well stocked we are in the CB position.  What other team can boast 4 centre backs of the same quality of Agger, Skrtel, Sakho and Toure? 

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 12:00:32 pm »
The fact that we can keep this guy on the bench at the moment says a lot about how well stocked we are in the CB position.  What other team can boast 4 centre backs of the same quality of Agger, Skrtel, Sakho and Toure?

nobody can. nobody can boast a better front two either. it's the midfield that needs some tweaking.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 12:09:42 pm »
nobody can. nobody can boast a better front two either. it's the midfield that needs some tweaking.

And the wings.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 12:15:11 pm »
Midfield two of Gerrard, Allen, Lucas and Henderson isn't to be sniffed at. However I can see why BR wanted someone like Mkhitaryan to give some extra quality that the rest miss.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2013, 01:12:57 pm »
Midfield two of Gerrard, Allen, Lucas and Henderson isn't to be sniffed at. However I can see why BR wanted someone like Mkhitaryan to give some extra quality that the rest miss.

I wouldn't say it's the players as such that are an issue. But we're certainly having some problems in that area of the pitch.

I'm happy enough with the wings. Once Johnson is back we have a very effective right flank and we'll see what happens with Cissokho / Enrique isn't awful.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2013, 01:27:53 pm »
Gutted for him and Denmark :(
:D

Offline bissozwei

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2013, 02:18:54 pm »
Gutted for him and Denmark :(

They simply haven't been good enough. Losing 0-4 at home to Armenia whilst only getting two points from two games against Bulgaria just doesn't merit qualification to the finals. There's been uplifting moments in the qualification campaign, but they've been too few and too far between.

But, as others have pointed out; now that Denmark isn't playing in the World Cup, Agger can rest during the summer and come back fit for next season.

Offline camred

• Main Stander
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2013, 03:03:04 pm »
Daniel Agger was born to play sweeper, our current formation will allow him to do that.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2013, 05:10:42 pm »
You don't drop a player when he's playing well though, it sends out the wrong message. If Agger is outperforming him in training then yes play him otherwise he just has to wait for his chance to reclaim his place.
that depends on how Rodgers sees it.

They are completely different players, and the centre spot of a back 3 needs possession skills to enable him to step up into dm while in possession of the ball.

If by Skrtel playing, we are unable to do this, he would be holding the system back.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2013, 05:28:03 pm »
Top, top lad. See for yourself.

http://sporten.tv2.dk/2013-10-08-tv-tilskuer-fik-aggers-skud-lige-i-skallen

speaking of which it will be interesting to see if Agger finds his way back to starting 11. Sooner or later he will, no doubt about that.
That is just fantastic.  Great guy.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 05:34:10 pm »
Problem with meritocracy is you often have to wait for far inferior players to make their mistakes - which also costs you points - for better players to get back into the team.

Would love to see him get a run as a proper libero. So comfortable stepping forward but there are times where he doesn't commit to it because you can tell he's wary about the lack of numbers behind him. No longer a problem.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 05:45:46 pm »
Problem with meritocracy is you often have to wait for far inferior players to make their mistakes - which also costs you points - for better players to get back into the team.

Would love to see him get a run as a proper libero. So comfortable stepping forward but there are times where he doesn't commit to it because you can tell he's wary about the lack of numbers behind him. No longer a problem.

Does Rodgers actually want a Libero though Juan or does he want the centre backs to sit deep and make passing angles so we can retain possession. I love to see a centre back break the lines and commit opposition players but is that the best way for us to utilise our attacking players. Do the likes of Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge want Agger breaking and running forty or fifty yards or do they want the ball earlier in the move.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2013, 02:19:50 am »
Does Rodgers actually want a Libero though Juan or does he want the centre backs to sit deep and make passing angles so we can retain possession. I love to see a centre back break the lines and commit opposition players but is that the best way for us to utilise our attacking players. Do the likes of Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge want Agger breaking and running forty or fifty yards or do they want the ball earlier in the move.

Too soon to say Al. We've played a back 3 in 3 games and Agger has only been fit enough for the bench in one of them. It looks like we made the switch to get Sturridge and Suarez in their strongest positions, but also to solve the problem of Skrtel being poor on the ball and going back to Mignolet, who would then go long. It's definitely done that, and it's the best Skrtel has looked for a while, and I think statistically Mignolet has had higher passing stats in the last 3 games than any of the others. Question is now whether Rodgers did it purely to solve that problem or if he thinks we can add more to the part with a real ball-player in that position. Nothing about Agger being able to break forward should prevent him from offering passing angles at the back. That's not how it worked with Daley Blind or Koeman or any of the other great ones. What we want is a player who can intercept the ball and then break forward when the opposition's shape is off balance, creating in an overload in the center of the pitch. We also want a player who can see where there's space to step into and do so when none of the opposition midfielders are willing to leave their man to pressure the ball. Again, that's more Agger than it is any of our other centerbacks.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2013, 12:06:14 pm »
Too soon to say Al. We've played a back 3 in 3 games and Agger has only been fit enough for the bench in one of them. It looks like we made the switch to get Sturridge and Suarez in their strongest positions, but also to solve the problem of Skrtel being poor on the ball and going back to Mignolet, who would then go long. It's definitely done that, and it's the best Skrtel has looked for a while, and I think statistically Mignolet has had higher passing stats in the last 3 games than any of the others. Question is now whether Rodgers did it purely to solve that problem or if he thinks we can add more to the part with a real ball-player in that position. Nothing about Agger being able to break forward should prevent him from offering passing angles at the back. That's not how it worked with Daley Blind or Koeman or any of the other great ones. What we want is a player who can intercept the ball and then break forward when the opposition's shape is off balance, creating in an overload in the center of the pitch. We also want a player who can see where there's space to step into and do so when none of the opposition midfielders are willing to leave their man to pressure the ball. Again, that's more Agger than it is any of our other centerbacks.

For me it's more a case of who you want on the ball in space Agger or the likes of Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez. In the Ajax model they had players adept at holding the ball up upfront and players who were very good at breaking teams down. That really isn't our front three's forte, for me we struggle against a low block and are much much better when our front three get the ball early in space. In the last calender year Suarez for instance has played far more like the Suarez who plays for Uruguay.

Gone are the attempts to dribble his way past an entire packed defence to be replaced by a Suarez getting the ball on the counter with plenty of space to run into and plenty of options. For me we are setting up with a back three, with the fullbacks not getting forward as much and with Gerrard and Lucas as a double pivot. We are looking to sit deep stay solid and look to create from broken play through our three attacking players. In that scenario do you need a player who can break out with the ball or do you look to pass the ball to the front three as early as possible.

For me rather than a Spanish or Dutch mentality we appear to of adopted more of an Italian mentality where we keep the ball without committing too many players forward and look to the transitions for our gilt edged chances. There are very few teams who park the bus and look to try and nick something against the run of play nowadays. Probably the worst two teams in the League Palace and Sunderland in the last month or so have played the likes of us and United and actually had a go. Have pushed forward and looked to take the game to us and United, given that scenario do you actually need defenders who can come out and play or do you just need defenders who can defend and then give it to your attacking players early.

If teams are going to come at you do you actually need that much quality on the ball at the back and in midfield or is it a case of the team with the best natural defenders and natural attackers coming out on top pretty much the way United pissed the League last season. The changes in the offside laws and the change to 4-3-3 has made it far harder to push out and compress the play and as a consequence the game has changed from a tight midfield battle to a more open expansive end to end affair. In that scenario do you actually need defenders who can overload areas of the pitch or do you just need to bypass areas and get it forward to feet quickly.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2013, 02:50:05 pm »
Should've been an absolute no brainer to bring him on at half time imo, can't believe Brendan didn't think the same.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2013, 03:00:45 pm »
Why? We needed to take a defender off, not bring one on I think. Even they had 11 men they were keeping our attack well at bay, and when they went down to 10 that was only ever going to be more so the case (their deep defending). It was crying out for more creativity in the area in front of their box, and that's why Allen should have come on and Gerrard pushed further forward. Rodgers did introduce that by bringing Sakho off and slotting Alberto in there, but he's not on Gerrard's level. It also happened way too late in the game.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Ste08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2013, 03:01:35 pm »
Just hope he starts next week

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2013, 03:02:49 pm »
Time for him to replace Skrtel in the starting line up.  The baldy has done OK but with the midfield the way it is we need more quality bringing the ball out.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2013, 03:07:28 pm »
Why? We needed to take a defender off, not bring one on I think.

Because Agger's more than a defender and he would've stepped into midfield when we were in possession, allowing Gerrard to move forward. I would've also liked to see Luis Alberto come on with him, personally I would've brought off Skrtel and Sakho and gone 4-3-3.

Mignolet

Toure    Agger

Johnson                Cissokho

Henderson

Alberto    Gerrard

Suarez    Sturridge    Moses

"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2013, 03:13:41 pm »
Time for him to replace Skrtel in the starting line up.  The baldy has done OK but with the midfield the way it is we need more quality bringing the ball out.

I agree. Although I think Skrtel was our best defender today... hard to drop him I think.

Because Agger's more than a defender and he would've stepped into midfield when we were in possession, allowing Gerrard to move forward. I would've also liked to see Luis Alberto come on with him, personally I would've brought off Skrtel and Sakho and gone 4-3-3.

Mignolet

Toure    Agger

Johnson                Cissokho

Henderson

Alberto    Gerrard

Suarez    Sturridge    Moses

I'd have just bought one of the defenders off and stuck Allen in the middle.

In today's game, we didn't need a defender bringing the ball out of defence - we needed a midfielder in there who could control the ball and move it quickly allowing Gerrard to move up to support the attackers. Newcastle weren't pressing our midfielders, they were bringing the shutters down and had 2 banks of 4 and allowed us to keep the ball in front of them, and deep in their half. You don't need Agger in that situation, but you need someone who's got more creativity than Henderson on the ball in midfield, and someone with more creativity than Moses in the number 10 role.

And Rodgers did make that change to be fair - but just a different way around, he kept Gerrard deep and put Alberto in the number 10 role. And Gerrard attacked a lot - so it was a more attacking change than the one I suggested thinking about it. It happened far, far too late in the game though. Got us the equaliser, but not the win.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2013, 03:13:46 pm »
After today, if we continue with 3 at the back, he goes straight back into the team.  Even if we don't, I thing he should still get back in. 

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2013, 03:16:07 pm »
Should come in for Skrtel.

He probably has the same defensive misgivings as Skrtel, but he offers us much more on the ball.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2013, 03:16:58 pm »
I'd have just bought one of the defenders off and stuck Allen in the middle.

In today's game, we didn't need a defender bringing the ball out of defence - we needed a midfielder in there who could control the ball and move it quickly allowing Gerrard to move up to support the attackers.

I agree with that but bringing Agger on as well would've given us even more options when in possession and allowed our deepest midfielder to play higher up the pitch, thus allowing the entire midfield to get closer to our forwards.

Offline gallden

• bols
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2013, 03:24:13 pm »
I'd be curious to see him given a go at LB he can't be worse than what we have there right now. 

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2013, 03:24:34 pm »
I agree with that but bringing Agger on as well would've given us even more options when in possession and allowed our deepest midfielder to play higher up the pitch, thus allowing the entire midfield to get closer to our forwards.

I sort of see where you're coming from, but I think it would have been a wasted substitution. I actually think he should have started to be honest - and agree with Raul that he should come in for Skrtel (however hard that may be to justify at the moment, because Skrtel has been solid). But because he didn't start, I think it would have been a waste to of a sub to start tweaking about with defenders, when most of the ball would be in the opposition half. I don't think Agger coming on for Sakho instead of Alberto would have meant we suddenly freed up Henderson and Gerrard (Agger's not *that* good and Sakho's not actually that bad on the ball!)

Anyway, I think there're a lot of questions that are still up in the air about this team. Agger's position is one of them.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2013, 03:25:15 pm »
I'd be curious to see him given a go at LB he can't be worse than what we have there right now. 

No chance, he's wasted there and he'll back in at centre half next week.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2013, 03:27:49 pm »
How many clean sheets have we kept since we've dropped Agger?

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2013, 03:28:13 pm »

He can and already has been. Should of come on today, we could have done with his aerial threat threat on corners. He'd of probably stopped both goals from happening too and maybe even had an assist or two.

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
  • We are all part of Liverpool-FC
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2013, 03:49:23 pm »

He can and already has been. Should of come on today, we could have done with his aerial threat threat on corners.
was thinking similar, he could carry the ball forward and let the CM go further ahead as well.
Didn't need 3CB after red card. Can anyone Head the ball from our team? at least on target? damn... poor game all around, could've really used Agger I feel.
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
MICHELANGELO

Offline LoubySoho

• Main Stander
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2013, 04:01:50 pm »
At the half hour mark I was calling for Agger to come on, he offers much more going forward than the other CBs. If we go back to a back 2 it should be Agger +1

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2013, 04:10:07 pm »
he offers much more going forward than the other CBs. If we go back to a back 2 it should be Agger +1

I agree, it not always about throwing on attackers and midfielders when faced with 45mins against a team with 10 men, I hoped that Brendan would've been subtle and cleverer than he was and looked to at least tweek it by bringing Agger on. Remember we weren't chasing the game going into the 2nd half, we were level against a team with 10 men.