Author Topic: A Christopher Nolan Thread  (Read 49974 times)

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
Re: Interstellar (Christopher Nolan's next film).
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2014, 06:16:22 pm »
Low reviews make me more excited to see it, if a bunch of snobby fart sniffing internet dickheads don't like it, I might.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2014, 06:27:55 pm »
Doesn't really bother me that it is dividing opinion.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2014, 09:19:42 pm »
Yup. Heard some reviewers are giving it as low as 4/10 already.

Whilst others are saying

"What pulls you in is its hugely confident architecture as a piece of storytelling - its brave fictitiousness. Nolan comes very close here, one might almost say agonisingly close, to forging his masterpiece."
:D

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:40 pm »
No one else is making blockbusters this ambitious, need more film-makers like Nolan.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2014, 10:28:04 pm »
Whilst others are saying

"What pulls you in is its hugely confident architecture as a piece of storytelling - its brave fictitiousness. Nolan comes very close here, one might almost say agonisingly close, to forging his masterpiece."

I think it's en vogue at the minute to not like Christopher Nolan. Seems to be one of those Directors that folk can easily poke with the eternal wandering finger. All you have to do to see this incessant whinery in action is glance over at some of the independent reviews on Inception and The Prestige (Or The Dark Knight Rises for that matter).

This especially rings true to Inception. There seems to be an imaginary abyss that has been created by the somewhat opposing 'intelligent' and 'non-intelligent' viewers.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2014, 10:44:08 pm »
Inception is brutal. First time I watched it I loved it. Second time I got fidgety. Third time I turned it off. It's overlong, masturbatory nonsense.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2014, 10:59:20 pm »
And like a Nolan screenplay, the narrative has been layered and here we are back to Saito's lair.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2014, 12:49:43 am »
And like a Nolan screenplay, the narrative has been layered and here we are back to Saito's lair.

Yeah we've definitely danced this dance before.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2014, 01:41:34 am »
I think it's en vogue at the minute to not like Christopher Nolan. Seems to be one of those Directors that folk can easily poke with the eternal wandering finger. All you have to do to see this incessant whinery in action is glance over at some of the independent reviews on Inception and The Prestige (Or The Dark Knight Rises for that matter).

This especially rings true to Inception. There seems to be an imaginary abyss that has been created by the somewhat opposing 'intelligent' and 'non-intelligent' viewers.

Pretty much. Dark Knight Rises apart, I think he has a solid record. And that wasn't a disaster either and in many ways was a victim of Nolan's previous successes.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2014, 01:54:16 am »
Personally I think Inception is his magnum opus and the fanboyism comes from a section of comic fans who 6-9 years on still can't believe he made a good Batman film or two.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2014, 02:25:32 am »
Doesn't really bother me that it is dividing opinion.

I hope it is a divided opinion rather than "awful film, but some will say it's nearly a masterpiece anyway because Nolan" like TDKR.

Visuals alone should hopefully be worth it anyway
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2014, 02:40:50 am »
TDKR is a great film, what's with all the wank about it on here? I mean, there are problems with it, but they are mostly the same problems that TDK has. Begins is obviously the best of his batman movies anyway.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2014, 02:46:46 am »
TDKR is a great film, what's with all the wank about it on here? I mean, there are problems with it, but they are mostly the same problems that TDK has. Begins is obviously the best of his batman movies anyway.

TDKR doesn't belong in the same sentence as TDK and no matter how much the fanboys on IMDB overrate it (notably ahead of actual great films like the shining, taxi driver, resevoir dogs, scarface etc...) it isn't a great film, it has awful dialogue, non existent pacing, crazy plot holes, stupid plot conveniences (I noticed you're batman from the look on your face), strange character motivations, constant switches in aspect ratios. Feels like Ledger's death really knocked Nolan and crew for 6 and TDKR was just thrown together and rushed out to end the series quickly
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:48:46 am by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2014, 03:55:45 am »

TDKR doesn't belong in the same sentence as TDK and no matter how much the fanboys on IMDB overrate it (notably ahead of actual great films like the shining, taxi driver, resevoir dogs, scarface etc...) it isn't a great film, it has awful dialogue, non existent pacing, crazy plot holes, stupid plot conveniences (I noticed you're batman from the look on your face), strange character motivations, constant switches in aspect ratios. Feels like Ledger's death really knocked Nolan and crew for 6 and TDKR was just thrown together and rushed out to end the series quickly

I love TDKR but it's terrible. Considering he made Inception in between, I wouldn't say it was rushed. I just think he can't make a movie that's consistently good from start to finish. TDKR and Inception had serious issues in the final third, TDK had the quick Two Face cameo and death, Begins had Batman letting someone die.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2014, 06:41:19 am »
I cannot wait for Interstellar. The sheer ambition on display makes it a must watch for me. TDKR was a great disappointment, and perhaps there is a subtle backlash at play? Anyhow, best wait to actually go and see the thing, before making comment. By the way, here is the finest dissection of the failings of TDKR :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WQJuGeqdbn4?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WQJuGeqdbn4?fs=1</a>

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2014, 04:48:32 pm »
Bloody hell, people don't half go to extremes on here.

I've loved virtually everything Nolan has done to date. His films aren't perfect, TDK trilogy has problems, particularly with the action scenes, but on the whole they're extremely enjoyable and I've rewatched all three of them several times. They're not masterpieces at all but they're certainly not terrible.

Anyway, looking forward to this but I'm not as excited about it as some of his previous films.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2014, 06:41:54 pm »
I love all of Nolan films so someone will have to explain all the unforgivable things that he got wrong with his Batman movies and its 'problems'..??

It seems that being popular with the mainstream really irks some people and gets them riled up.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2014, 06:44:44 pm »
I love all of Nolan films so someone will have to explain all the unforgivable things that he got wrong with his Batman movies and its 'problems'..??

It seems that being popular with the mainstream really irks some people and gets them riled up.
Yes.....

I'm not seeing the problems myself.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2014, 06:55:45 pm »

People get irked by things being overrated (TDKR for example).

Same as say the Wayne Rooney thread on here, he's clearly a good player, but because some people will lead you to believe he's "the white Pele" people will shit all over him saying he's shit and worthless.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2014, 07:13:44 pm »
TDKR does have many problems, its a good movie but nothing more.

TDK is out of this world, one my favourite ever movies.
:D

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2014, 07:47:21 pm »
TDKR does have many problems, its a good movie but nothing more.

TDK is out of this world, one my favourite ever movies.

What are these problems? Everyone's mentioned them yet no one has actually expanded on it. I'm aware of the slightly far-fetched nature of certain bits of the TDKR but come on its a comic book action movie. Apart front that though? Honest question.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2014, 07:54:32 pm »
I'm not one for 'retaliatory' criticism. The sense that if something is widely considered to be very good, you'd review it differently than if it wasn't.

I think Memento, The Dark Knight, and Inception are all bloody fantastic films despite each having their flaws (which I've conceded and talked about in depth before), and the reason thinking about those issues doesn't instantly render them shite is much the same reason countless other masterpieces among my favourite films aren't ruined by their (many!) flaws. Those are 3 films that any director should be proud of having produced, but because they're extremely commercially successful and critically-acclaimed, people feel a need to bitch.

I don't consider Nolan a true genius in his field, but he's defo done fantastic things for the modern blockbuster. He's certainly no hack, that's a ridiculous claim I've heard many a time from inexplicably bitter internet critics. The facts that his films always have big ideas and huge ambition, epic in scope if not in storytelling mastery, means I'll always be compelled to check them out as long as he can keep that up.

And for those who adored and had their minds blown by the likes of Inception on first watch, but then found it dwindled on repeat viewings... that first watch has real value, you know. That first watch is the fucking spirit of Cinema. I'll never forget my first viewing of Blade Runner, or Alien, for instance [deliberately drawing parallels with Ridley Scott and Nolan there; Scott gets less shit for his own style-over-substance indulgences despite clearly peaking very early... because what a hell of a peak that was], and knowing exactly what's coming after seeing it many, many times since, or seeing things from it ripped off by countless inferior imitators cannot shatter that feeling for me. Inception wowed me after seeing it at the flix with no prior knowledge, I walked out of the theatre in a glorious daze of swirling notions. And that's what great filmgoing experiences are all about - if it doesn't stand up to repeat viewing, so be it. It still had that initial effect upon you, it worked its magic in that moment. Enjoy that, and let others.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2014, 07:55:52 pm »
The only real problems I found with TDKR was that some of the scenes and plot points clunked (especially nearer the final act). I'd have to watch it again to give a more accurate account of, what I feel, made it an inferior follow-up to TDK. There are of course, some of the more obvious irks floating about the internet that have crept into the general consensus.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the film and I wouldn't wish to get into old arguments that bare no real relevance to Interstellar. But I do feel that TDKR has it's flaws and I felt those flaws on my first/second viewings. Horses for courses and all that jazz though.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2014, 08:02:03 pm »
What are these problems? Everyone's mentioned them yet no one has actually expanded on it. I'm aware of the slightly far-fetched nature of certain bits of the TDKR but come on its a comic book action movie. Apart front that though? Honest question.
You're better off finding the original films' threads and reading through them, I don't want to reel of a list of negatives because that's not really what I'm into.

I will say there are noticably poorly-edited bits and little plot inconsistencies, things that don't make a lot of sense even for a comicbook flick, and many have reasonable issues with both Talia and Bane's passings. But if you like it, don't feel obliged to pay extra notice to this sort of thing than you normally do.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2014, 12:09:52 am »

A Batman film where Batman is only in it for about 15 minutes of a nearly 3 hour show would be one of the issues, I imagine.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2014, 09:08:47 am »
A Batman film where Batman is only in it for about 15 minutes of a nearly 3 hour show would be one of the issues, I imagine.

Plus you could just take out all Batman references and it would just be a a film about a funny talking man trying to destroy a city and kill another funny talking (rich) man.

Oh, they both fall in love too.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2014, 09:21:46 am »
Plus you could just take out all Batman references and it would just be a a film about a funny talking man trying to destroy a city and kill another funny talking (rich) man.

Oh, they both fall in love too.
Spoiler
with each other
[close]

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2014, 09:33:12 am »
Spoiler
with each other
[close]

Gives a new meaning to the whole incapacitating him and putting him down the hole.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2014, 01:29:41 pm »
I am not a big Nolan fan but at least he attempts to create some original (sort of) films and Batman has given him the opportunity to make blockbusters like this and Inception. Its particularly refreshing seeing as the next few years will be overloaded with comic book films.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2014, 01:40:19 pm »
Well... Not trying to detract from your point, as it's a good point... However.

Inception isn't as original as it seems you know? Of course, it's totally different from the normative mainstream blockbuster, but a lot of his concepts, ideas, shots and... well, so and so forth, are homages to filmmakers of yore. Inception is to Surrealist filmmaking, what Pulp Fiction is to... Well, the hundred or so films that inspired Quentin Tarantula when he crafted Pulp Fiction.

I know people always point to Paprika and are like... "He just ripped off Paprika", but some of the elements in Paprika are nods to a wealth of influence far beyond the realms of Manga surrealism.

A good example of how Nolan has brilliantly borrowed from various sources is Vertov's "Man with a Movie Camera". If you watch it, you will see where Nolan has robbed some picturisation and elements. Here for example:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/z97Pa0ICpn8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/z97Pa0ICpn8</a>

Fast forward to roughly 9:05 and you will see where one small element, that seems random, is in fact inspired by. (A pretty famous shot that is too..)
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2014, 01:48:10 pm »

Plus he set himself up for criticism in TDKR with lines like this  "the biggest (film) anyone's done since the silent era"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2014, 02:30:19 pm »
Well... Not trying to detract from your point, as it's a good point... However.

Inception isn't as original as it seems you know? Of course, it's totally different from the normative mainstream blockbuster, but a lot of his concepts, ideas, shots and... well, so and so forth, are homages to filmmakers of yore. Inception is to Surrealist filmmaking, what Pulp Fiction is to... Well, the hundred or so films that inspired Quentin Tarantula when he crafted Pulp Fiction.

I know people always point to Paprika and are like... "He just ripped off Paprika", but some of the elements in Paprika are nods to a wealth of influence far beyond the realms of Manga surrealism.

A good example of how Nolan has brilliantly borrowed from various sources is Vertov's "Man with a Movie Camera". If you watch it, you will see where Nolan has robbed some picturisation and elements. Here for example:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/z97Pa0ICpn8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/z97Pa0ICpn8</a>

Fast forward to roughly 9:05 and you will see where one small element, that seems random, is in fact inspired by. (A pretty famous shot that is too..)

Yeah I know about him taking influences/ripping off certain films, hence why i put "sort of" in my first sentence :) Its not fully original but at least its a bit different, rather than being a sequel or a comic book film.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2014, 03:34:04 pm »
I am not a big Nolan fan but at least he attempts to create some original (sort of) films and Batman has given him the opportunity to make blockbusters like this and Inception. Its particularly refreshing seeing as the next few years will be overloaded with comic book films.

Yeah same... not a huge fan,  I like a couple of the Batman films and Memento and thought Inception was excellent on first viewing (doesn't hold up to repeat viewings) but a couple of his other films are average and the praise he gets is way OTT.
Fanboys of anything are really annoying.

But yes, at least he's making the blockbuster more interesting and (seemingly) thinky.

Interstellar looks great in the trailer, but trailers make ALMOST everything seem amazing.

Fingers crossed it will be.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:52:24 pm by johnsmithlfc »
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2014, 03:49:51 pm »
Turtles movie.... Trailer made that seem dreadful!!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2014, 03:52:49 pm »
Turtles movie.... Trailer made that seem dreadful!!

Edited... just for you  :wave :P :P
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2014, 03:53:47 pm »

Edited... just for you  :wave :P :P
Thankyou for accommodating my utter pedantry ;D
W

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2014, 03:55:06 pm »
Thankyou for accommodating my utter pedantry ;D

You're most welcome kind sir :)

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2014, 03:55:20 pm »
I wish James Cameron was still making proper movies, he was the best.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2014, 03:55:21 pm »
Yeah I know about him taking influences/ripping off certain films, hence why i put "sort of" in my first sentence :) Its not fully original but at least its a bit different, rather than being a sequel or a comic book film.

Alright kid!

(Right in the Wallet!)

Edit: Sorry, forgot to put a wink in there. ( ;))
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2014, 03:57:18 pm »
I wish James Cameron was still making proper movies, he was the best.

Er..

He's currently making Avatar isn't he?
Continually on 11,420.