Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 631850 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Marvel Musings. No Infinity War Spoilers.
« Reply #4000 on: July 20, 2018, 08:40:01 am »
Finished it, it’s a better season than the first as the supporting cast are all fantastic.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4001 on: July 20, 2018, 02:43:45 pm »
Finished it, it’s a better season than the first as the supporting cast are all fantastic.

It look you almost two weeks to watch 10 episodes, damn.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4002 on: July 20, 2018, 02:46:07 pm »
It look you almost two weeks to watch 10 episodes, damn.

And yet it took me four weeks to watch the whole of BvS.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4003 on: July 20, 2018, 02:47:41 pm »
And yet it took me four weeks to watch the whole of BvS.

You know it's possible to just not watch something that sucks right? ;D
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4004 on: July 20, 2018, 02:58:22 pm »
You know it's possible to just not watch something that sucks right? ;D

What’s your excuse for posting in the WWE and Star Wars threads then?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4005 on: July 20, 2018, 03:56:49 pm »
About 8 episodes into the second Luke Cage and after the slow start of the first couple of episodes it's really moving along nicely now.  Think it's at least equal to the first half of the first season, maybe even better.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4006 on: July 20, 2018, 04:35:01 pm »
About 8 episodes into the second Luke Cage and after the slow start of the first couple of episodes it's really moving along nicely now.  Think it's at least equal to the first half of the first season, maybe even better.

You can’t be saying things like that in the Marvel thread Tubby, if something sucks for a few episodes then it sucks forever just ask Claus.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4007 on: July 20, 2018, 05:07:21 pm »
What’s your excuse for posting in the WWE and Star Wars threads then?

You can’t be saying things like that in the Marvel thread Tubby, if something sucks for a few episodes then it sucks forever just ask Claus.

You've really taken an observation about how long it took you to watch a show personally.

I'm very sorry for implying Luke Cage was a slow show that is a chore to get through like season one. I meant no offense.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4010 on: July 20, 2018, 10:03:05 pm »
Roseanne got fired for being pro-Trump, so surely anti-Trump Gunn will be...oh wait.

The tweets are fairly nasty when they're all lined up.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4011 on: July 20, 2018, 10:04:40 pm »
Fuck knows why anyone who's got any level of fame bothers with any kind of opinion on social media.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4012 on: July 20, 2018, 11:58:38 pm »
Roseanne got fired for being pro-Trump, so surely anti-Trump Gunn will be...oh wait.

The tweets are fairly nasty when they're all lined up.

Roseanne got fired for being an awfully racist c*nt.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4013 on: July 21, 2018, 12:29:41 am »
Didnt realise he did this stuff 10 years ago.

Disney seems to forget all the racist stuff they have done in the past.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4014 on: July 21, 2018, 07:14:53 am »
Gunn's been fired from GotG Vol.3 because of some old tweets.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-exits-guardians-galaxy-vol-3-1128786?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

jesus (saw the collected tweets on reddit). Has he actually fucked kids or have they fired him for the tweets alone?

As someone who's barely on any social media it just feels bizarre if you can get fired / affected significantly in real life through tweets alone.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4015 on: July 21, 2018, 02:47:42 pm »
Roseanne got fired for being an awfully racist c*nt.

Yes, but some defended her and said she only got fired because she supported Trump.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4016 on: July 21, 2018, 03:43:51 pm »
jesus (saw the collected tweets on reddit). Has he actually fucked kids or have they fired him for the tweets alone?

As someone who's barely on any social media it just feels bizarre if you can get fired / affected significantly in real life through tweets alone.

Hes literally just been fired for the decade old tweets, that he already apologised over before Marvel even hired him.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #4017 on: July 21, 2018, 06:11:10 pm »
Hes literally just been fired for the decade old tweets, that he already apologised over before Marvel even hired him.

Don't know what the tweets said, but if the guy's apologised, learned, grown and moved on, surely that's the end of it. If we don't allow for the possibility of redemption then there is no justice anyway.

He's the best director they have, and he's so far made the best single film Marvel have produced.

(This is as far as I go, list fans. 1: GOTFG)

The idea of someone else taking over really saddens me, might be the first Marvel movie I actually avoid watching. (As opposed to a couple of the X-Men ones I just didn't get around to for a long time.)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4018 on: July 21, 2018, 06:20:38 pm »
Don't know what the tweets said, but if the guy's apologised, learned, grown and moved on, surely that's the end of it. If we don't allow for the possibility of redemption then there is no justice anyway.

He's the best director they have, and he's so far made the best single film Marvel have produced.

(This is as far as I go, list fans. 1: GOTFG)

The idea of someone else taking over really saddens me, might be the first Marvel movie I actually avoid watching. (As opposed to a couple of the X-Men ones I just didn't get around to for a long time.)

His tweets were gross but also they clearly weren't serious. I suppose it's the new order of things - if x is going to be fired for y, everyone else must be too.

A tidbit that might ease your mind - apparently Nicole Perlman (co-writer of GOTG) was kicked out of GOTG 2 because Gunn felt he deserved a sole credit for the first movie and was mad that she got co-writer status. Of course GOTG 2 comes out and it's significantly worse than 1 with just Gunn credited as writer, so maybe he wasn't the reason GOTG was good?

Which means 3 could be good without him, of course.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4019 on: July 21, 2018, 06:38:27 pm »

This is where I get stuck on it. Its pretty clear hes a completely different person to back then, hes grown up, matured, promotes progressive ideas and love in his words and films. How can they then fire him over the person he was then, not who he has been this entire time working for them? Doesnt sit right with me at all.

His tweets were gross but also they clearly weren't serious. I suppose it's the new order of things - if x is going to be fired for y, everyone else must be too.

A tidbit that might ease your mind - apparently Nicole Perlman (co-writer of GOTG) was kicked out of GOTG 2 because Gunn felt he deserved a sole credit for the first movie and was mad that she got co-writer status. Of course GOTG 2 comes out and it's significantly worse than 1 with just Gunn credited as writer, so maybe he wasn't the reason GOTG was good?

Which means 3 could be good without him, of course.

Yeah Pearlman came up with the idea for Marvel, did a massive amount of work reading up on the characters and its history, reinvented the group and had ideas about the story and stuff, but Gunn basically rewrote the entire thing, changed the story, added characters and a different villain etc, added all the humour and bits like the walkman and the music and that, and made it what it was.

Fwiw I think GOTG Vol. 2 is a little bit a better film, but my heart will always be with the first one.

I actually think theres a good chance Vol. 3 doesnt get made now. Gunn has completed the script, but I expect theyd toss it out and let whoever they brought in re-do it, cant imagine a director wanting to come on and direct Gunns script as itd feel off to them, its not their vision. But then, a reimagined Guardians film doesnt feel right, and Bautista has already come out and said he's not ok with whats happened to Gunn, theres every chance the cast who have always expressed how close they are just say they dont want to finish it without Gunn onboard, and it is simply removed from the slate for a while while Marvel decide whether to reboot it with a new group. Just a bad situation all round.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4020 on: July 21, 2018, 06:50:55 pm »

This is where I get stuck on it. Its pretty clear hes a completely different person to back then, hes grown up, matured, promotes progressive ideas and love in his words and films. How can they then fire him over the person he was then, not who he has been this entire time working for them? Doesnt sit right with me at all.

Yeah Pearlman came up with the idea for Marvel, did a massive amount of work reading up on the characters and its history, reinvented the group and had ideas about the story and stuff, but Gunn basically rewrote the entire thing, changed the story, added characters and a different villain etc, added all the humour and bits like the walkman and the music and that, and made it what it was.

Fwiw I think GOTG Vol. 2 is a little bit a better film, but my heart will always be with the first one.

I actually think theres a good chance Vol. 3 doesnt get made now. Gunn has completed the script, but I expect theyd toss it out and let whoever they brought in re-do it, cant imagine a director wanting to come on and direct Gunns script as itd feel off to them, its not their vision. But then, a reimagined Guardians film doesnt feel right, and Bautista has already come out and said he's not ok with whats happened to Gunn, theres every chance the cast who have always expressed how close they are just say they dont want to finish it without Gunn onboard, and it is simply removed from the slate for a while while Marvel decide whether to reboot it with a new group. Just a bad situation all round.

Most Directors direct other people's scripts so you'd hope that isn't an issue for someone new coming in. With that said, your point about the cast is a good one. I'd hope they're all smart enough to realize this is their cash cow and their retirement fund and keep on at it, but logic doesn't always win.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4021 on: July 21, 2018, 07:41:33 pm »
Most Directors direct other people's scripts so you'd hope that isn't an issue for someone new coming in. With that said, your point about the cast is a good one. I'd hope they're all smart enough to realize this is their cash cow and their retirement fund and keep on at it, but logic doesn't always win.

I know most do, but its different when a film series has been molded in the vision of a single writer/director with a specific style and voice, when said director is then removed from the project I'd imagine most directors would want to rewrite it before starting. When Edgar Wright left Ant-Man Peyton Reed, McKay and I think Paul Rudd too, basically ended up rewriting most of the script.

I think they were only scheduled to do one more Guardians film anyway, and afterwards Gunn had ideas for a new team and new cosmic stories, but I dont know, they usually tie them down to long contracts just in case.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4022 on: July 21, 2018, 07:50:49 pm »
Yeah, the actors may not like it, but they have contracts which you’d imagine are watertight.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4023 on: July 21, 2018, 08:50:19 pm »
Those tweets from Gunn are fucking weird. I'd have sacked him too. The fuck was going through his head writing shit like that? If it's an attempt at being edgy, he's spectacularly missed the mark and simultaneously fucked himself in the process.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4024 on: July 23, 2018, 08:49:08 am »
Seems like all the cast have banded together with the tagline

'Love to all my GOTG family'

His brother came out over the weekend with basically the same thing

The tweets are pretty horrific and when you line them up all together it makes him look very weird. It's not like it comes across as shock comedy either (like say Frankie Boyle). But these are tweets from nearly 10 years ago.

I personally feel like a full public apology with a donation of part of his next fee to an appropriate charity would have been suitable. Makes any form of junket for the next Avengers a bit more awkward

I can't see how GotG 3 gets made at this point.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4025 on: July 23, 2018, 09:41:01 am »
Seems like all the cast have banded together with the tagline

'Love to all my GOTG family'

His brother came out over the weekend with basically the same thing

The tweets are pretty horrific and when you line them up all together it makes him look very weird. It's not like it comes across as shock comedy either (like say Frankie Boyle). But these are tweets from nearly 10 years ago.

I personally feel like a full public apology with a donation of part of his next fee to an appropriate charity would have been suitable. Makes any form of junket for the next Avengers a bit more awkward

I can't see how GotG 3 gets made at this point.

They're all contracted surely? I cant imagine many of them will turn down a cash cow like that.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #4026 on: July 23, 2018, 09:45:17 am »

Yeah. Uncomfortable reading when I came across it on twitter...

Time has passed and he may be a changed person now but its still fucking horrific

loved the GOTG films, my favourite of all the Marvel films and I would have wanted a third but not if its going to be slapped together
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4027 on: July 23, 2018, 12:22:11 pm »
They're all contracted surely? I cant imagine many of them will turn down a cash cow like that.

Doesn't mean much if they don't want to do it. Like in football, if you have a player who wants to leave the club, you aren't going to force him to play. As for the cash, actors turn down big projects all the time. Gunn could write and direct a totally different film with the same cast if it came to that, and none of them are struggling for work right now.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4028 on: July 27, 2018, 04:06:48 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jul/27/captain-marvel-female-superheroes-margaret-stohl

Good piece on the upcoming Captain Marvel and some talk about actual comics.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4029 on: July 28, 2018, 11:57:32 am »
Finished season 2 of Luke Cage, slow start but really got going later on.  Bushmaster is one of the best villains (antiheroes?) in the Netflix shows.  Wish they'd cut the seasons down to 10 episodes because there's just no need to drag things out to 13.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4030 on: July 29, 2018, 03:35:46 pm »
Did anyone finish season 2 of Jessica Jones? I'm really really struggling with it. I absolutely loved the first season and found Kilgrave such a compelling yet terrifying villain, but in comparison this season has felt incredibly lacklustre.

Spoiler
I find Jessica's mom especially irritating and that whole storyline plain dull.
[close]

Is it worth finishing? I'm on episode 9 and just feel no motivation to go back to it.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4031 on: July 29, 2018, 04:36:13 pm »
It's not as good as the first season, but stick with it because you'll like episode 11.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4032 on: July 29, 2018, 05:12:21 pm »
Did anyone finish season 2 of Jessica Jones? I'm really really struggling with it. I absolutely loved the first season and found Kilgrave such a compelling yet terrifying villain, but in comparison this season has felt incredibly lacklustre.

Spoiler
[close]

Is it worth finishing? I'm on episode 9 and just feel no motivation to go back to it.

I was the same as you Betty Blue, I finished it but walked away underwhelmed after loving season 1.

Kilgrave was fantastic in season 1.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #4033 on: July 29, 2018, 09:41:44 pm »

Spoiler
[close]

Same, I started it and was about 4 or 5 episodes in, but have shelved it for a bit. The pace is far too pedestrian compared to the first season, and lacks a really great villain.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4034 on: July 30, 2018, 04:21:07 pm »
*COUGH*
Avengers Infinity War 2018 1080p WEB-DL H264 AC3-EVO
*COUGH*

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4035 on: July 30, 2018, 05:03:34 pm »
Same, I started it and was about 4 or 5 episodes in, but have shelved it for a bit. The pace is far too pedestrian compared to the first season, and lacks a really great villain.

Have recently finished watching it. Not a patch on the first season, just seemed to drift along. Think they tried to go a different direction than the "big villain" but as a result, the series lost some focus. The last few episodes were the best by far, and they set up some really interesting ideas for a third, but yeah, it felt like treading water for a while there.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4036 on: July 30, 2018, 05:46:07 pm »

Pretty strong statement. Looks like the cast are fully behind getting James Gunn back on board

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4037 on: July 30, 2018, 06:00:33 pm »
I wonder how many times the PR department had to go through that statement?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4038 on: July 30, 2018, 06:12:50 pm »
I wonder how many times the PR department had to go through that statement?

Yep. No threatening language used. No intention made to walk out of GotG 3. Just support and love for Gunn

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4039 on: July 30, 2018, 08:22:52 pm »
Yep. No threatening language used. No intention made to walk out of GotG 3. Just support and love for Gunn

His tweets were pretty silly but he shouldnt have been fired.