Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire general thread: BOOK AND SHOW spoilers galore  (Read 234436 times)

Offline Studog

• Kopite
That's more or less how I see it.

We probably won't see Lady Stoneheart per se, but if Nymeria hasn't been Vargo Hoated from the story, we might see her drag Cat's corpse to shore in one of the last scenes of the season finale or the season opener.

I'd forgotten when we first come across her, but that's it.

We haven't seen much of Arya warging have we? I can't really remember... That could be the difficult bit really. We've seen Bran do it, but none of the others?

Also we haven't heard much about Nymeria's pack of wolves that always crops up in the book. There's always a comment about wolves on the kingsroad etc in the book, but little seems to have been mentioned so far in the series. Then again, with the brotherhood being in it now, we may hear more, which could lead into Arya Warging a little?

Offline longball

• scrotum like a letter L
  • Kopite
  • Agora é a hora.
Thank you :)

I have to say, I loved the Blackfish's portrayal. He basically looked exactly how I imagined him. What have I seen Edmure in before, he seems familiar?

That's what i recognised him from. :D

Watching it through the second time and it clicked what that scene with Tulisa and the children  is all about....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:17:21 pm by longball »

Online jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just thinking about the books again, does anyone think Darkstar might be a Targ ?
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Just thinking about the books again, does anyone think Darkstar might be a Targ ?
What makes you think that?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
What would be the point of that? I think Darkstar is probably overanalyzed a bit because he's a "badass."

Although I must say Dorne is one faction whose future I have absolutely zero insight into. They're being built up to have a fairly major hand in proceedings, but I'm not sure how they fit in with anything so far

Online jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What makes you think that?

Silver hair, purple eyes and Arianne saying that he was the most handsome man in Dorne and saying if she had kids with him they would look like dragonlords.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
What have I seen Edmure in before, he seems familiar?

HBO seems to delight in making him a joke.

The Frey kids whom Talisa is treating are gonna meet old Kanstark soon, right?
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Online jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What would be the point of that? I think Darkstar is probably overanalyzed a bit because he's a "badass."

Although I must say Dorne is one faction whose future I have absolutely zero insight into. They're being built up to have a fairly major hand in proceedings, but I'm not sure how they fit in with anything so far

I never ever thought much about him to be honest until I just while skimming through the book saw a chapter about him where Arianne mentions what I said above.

Edit:  Also he is meant to be quite temperamental and extremely violent.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:48:36 pm by jooneyisdagod »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan

Offline lazzathered

• Anny Roader

HBO seems to delight in making him a joke.

Aha! Thanks, was gonna bug me for ages, that!

Plus, theories are fun!

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Here by unpopular demand: The GoT and Song of Ice and Fire comparison thread
« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2013, 03:32:19 pm »
Thank you :)

I have to say, I loved the Blackfish's portrayal. He basically looked exactly how I imagined him. What have I seen Edmure in before, he seems familiar?

The differences that stood out to me were Missandei being older (don't mind, Natalie Emmanuel is pleasant to look at) and obviously thaphires, but they didn't chicken out on the big moment this episode so I'm not going to complain about missing Hoat too much.

I don't really like Ser Barristan being revealed already but there really isn't any way to deal with it the book way when the audience will already recognise him. Strong Belwas... fun character but ultimately not necessary. I can see why he's been cut. I just hope they don't remove colourful characters and replace all their potential screen time with sexposition or just plain boobies. Or Shae. Or Talisa. Some plotlines deserve more time, I do feel we flit around too much and don't get any real depth.

Interesting that they're bigging Pod up, I wonder if that was just a bit of comic relief or if he's gonna be a proper Neville Longbottom by the end of things and mature to baddassdom.

The weddings should be fun, I cannot WAIT for everyone's reaction when it happens if they haven't read the books. Twitter meltdown

For the RW I really hope they make it appear that Arya has been killed by Sandor's axe swing. And not let on that she is just knocked out until the next episode, mwahahaha.

I have pictured the ending of the episode being Cat laughing manically, with blood pouring down her face from the scratches, as she is grabbed and has her throat slit. Cut to black and The National's version of The Rains of Castamere.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:53:47 pm by Rusty Oysterburger »
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2013, 03:35:15 pm »

Well their one big hope went out like a knobhead in ADWD, I really hated those chapters and the resolution to them.

If Quentyn was dropped from the show would it make a massive difference? Victarion will already be on a very similar storyline and is a much better character.

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
For the RW I really hope they make it appear that Arya has been killed by Sandor's axe swing. And not let on that she is just knocked out until the next episode, mwahahaha.
Ooh I like this. Make em suffer  ;D

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline lazzathered

• Anny Roader
Ooh I like this. Make em suffer  ;D

Oh god(s) it would just be amazing. People crying in the streets, uncomprehending. How can they keep killing all the characters? Doesn't the hero win?! Twitter would explode.

Then we can turn to them and say "Now you know our pain, I've been dealing with shit like this since Jaime pushed Bran out of the window and Martin KEEPS BLOODY DOING IT"

The King of cliffhangers.

My mum thinks all the superfluous characters that don't do much in the books serve a purpose, they're there as "back up" in case George goes on a rampage and slaughters all his protagonists at the same time. A safety mechanism that allows some form of story ending.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: April 17, 2013, 07:29:31 pm »
Did anyone else notice this guy...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1218607/

in the Night's Watch scenes? I know he's hardly an A Lister but I don't think they'd hire someone with his experience as an extra with no lines, I wonder who he is going to be?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
Perhaps it's this fellow?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dirk

Not a huge character but I guess he does do one important thing.

Offline Studog

• Kopite
I'm a bit confused by the Talisa/Lannisters scene.

Reckon this is a non scene or for information for the impending betrayal? Or something else?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2013, 08:04:33 pm »
Perhaps it's this fellow?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dirk

Not a huge character but I guess he does do one important thing.

Good shout, I think we'll see that scene in the next episode.

I'm a bit confused by the Talisa/Lannisters scene.

Reckon this is a non scene or for information for the impending betrayal? Or something else?

They're going to be killed by Karstark, right? Think it was set up for that, to emphasis how young and innocent they are.

I wonder what they'll do with Talisa for the RW episode. I don't think she'll be there but will the writers just forget about her after that?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
I wonder what they'll do with Talisa for the RW episode. I don't think she'll be there but will the writers just forget about her after that?
They should kill her off as well. More impact too.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2013, 08:25:25 pm »
They should kill her off as well. More impact too.

But Robb won't take her to the wedding at the Frey's, it would be a massive insult to them.

I know one of the popular rumours on the book fan sites is Jeyne Westerling being secretly pregnant with Robb's child. They could use that on the show as well.

Offline Studog

• Kopite
Good shout, I think we'll see that scene in the next episode.

They're going to be killed by Karstark, right? Think it was set up for that, to emphasis how young and innocent they are.

Ah yea, forgot about that. Karstark is featured right at the start moaning isn't he.

The stuff with Ramsey is boss. Non-book readers are gonna buzz off that!

I'm a bit disappointed with their interpretation of the tokar, it's supposed to be this overly ostentatious robe you can barely move in and it doesn't look like that? Being picky I know!

Online jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Some others have gone a little further than your theory ;)

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/74096-rhaegar-targaryengerold-dayne-darkstar/

Haha That is a bit far off for me mate.  I was thinking more along the lines of a Targ bastard of some sort that Rhaegar asked his mate Arthur Dayne to bring up or something of that sort. 

Offline DerKaiser

• It's German for "TheCheesyRanter". Likes young boys.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Yea, and so is Tormund's member.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
I know a lot of you have read all the books but i'll use spoilers just in case (ASoS part 2):

Spoiler
Just read the chapter where Robb and Catelyn meet their end. Fuck. Its been obvious for a while that Robb would die, and with Grey Wind feeling uneasy before Robb entered the twins i knew he wasn't coming out. Horrible to read, especially from the POV of Catelyn who's chapter is ended brutally- and Arya was so close outside.

Seeing as its near the start of Blood and Gold anyone else think it could be the finale of the current GoT season? Episode 9 is called The Rains of Castamere so its definitely a possibility
[close]

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
I know a lot of you have read all the books but i'll use spoilers just in case (ASoS part 2):

Spoiler
Just read the chapter where Robb and Catelyn meet their end. Fuck. Its been obvious for a while that Robb would die, and with Grey Wind feeling uneasy before Robb entered the twins i knew he wasn't coming out. Horrible to read, especially from the POV of Catelyn who's chapter is ended brutally- and Arya was so close outside.

Seeing as its near the start of Blood and Gold anyone else think it could be the finale of the current GoT season? Episode 9 is called The Rains of Castamere so its definitely a possibility
[close]

It's nailed on to be episode 9. The climax of the season always happens in episode 9 on this show.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
It's nailed on to be episode 9. The climax of the season always happens in episode 9 on this show.

I cant wait to see the internet meltdown after that episode.

Online jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Just this once I wish it happened in Episode 10.  Non-book readers would probably tear their hair out.

Online jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thoughts ?  Again thought it was a bit meh.  Maybe because I can't actually stand Dany.  And I thought the scenes with Jaime were a real high point.  Fantastically brutal and Vargo Hoat is completely compensated fo.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
Good episode. Not as good as those in the series thread claim. Felt the Dracarys scene was handled better in the book. Loved how gleefully Joff spoke about the dead Targaryens. Missed Varys too, happy to ser more of him.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2013, 08:16:24 pm »
I thought it was fantastic, better than last weeks in fact. Every single scene was great. Its almost absurd that even second, third and fourth fiddle characters are so well written and performed. The scene with Varys and Olenna was spectacular.   

Ramsay's scheme that I had suspected came to fruition quite nicely. What a turbocunt. I love that we are getting to see this storyline actually happening in the show, and it means we get more Theon scenes who is one of my favourites. The line about his real father being Ned was great.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Agree I thought it was an fantastic episode, maybe a little slow on the first half or so but I don't mind slow, there was great acting and character development there and every scene was a singer, expect maybe the one between Margaery and Sansa, although Sansa's smile when Margeary tells him about marrying Loras was hearth-breaking, I think Sophie Turner is doing a really good job and she communicates a lot with her facial expressions.

Dany's scene was as good as it could ever be and I loved all the scenes with Varys and Jaime, NWC was fantastic on his portrayal of Jaime´s post-hand depression. The mutiny scene was really good too and very atmospheric, perhaps more chaotic than in the books but I thought it worked well as they probably didn't want to show all the scheming that went behind the scenes just for that scene. Beric Dondarrion's presentation was great as well and he looked the part.

Now Theon's story must be terrible confusing for non-book readers this season, we know how Ramsay is having read the books, so we can somehow explain some of his actions but they have been so complicated that it just seems like too much trouble only to establish Ramsay madness and Theon’s breakdown, surely the kind of torture he endures can do that alone and it doesn’t need an twisted “kill my own man and blame it on you” game on the middle. I hope they can give more of a satisfying resolution to his arc than Ramsay just being a psycho, because as much an evil bastard he was in the books he also had his political ambitions and I thought they may have  been playing that to some extent, now I’m not so sure but I guess we'll see.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:52:13 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Anybody else saw an RW or Lady Stone-hearth foreshadowing on Bran's dream sequence?

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
Liked the episode overall. Think this season is going much better than the last one. Feel bad for non-readers though - they see Dany going with an army and 3 dragons anticipating an assault on Westeros, maybe even as early as this season; and they will have to sit through 3 seasons as she frets over Dario Naharys's (sp?) hair.

Anybody else saw an RW or Lady Stone-hearth foreshadowing on Bran's dream sequence?

How?
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2013, 10:36:11 pm »
Haha, I was just thinking about how Dany is now off to yet another middle eastern city to do fuck all for a couple of years. Hopefully the next episodes will have Jorah and Barristan reminding everyone that she, and the dragons, aren't ready to conquer yet, damp their expectations a bit.

Anyone else noticed how many scenes of Tywin writing letters there have been this season? He's setting up the RW already.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Haha, I was just thinking about how Dany is now off to yet another middle eastern city to do fuck all for a couple of years. Hopefully the next episodes will have Jorah and Barristan reminding everyone that she, and the dragons, aren't ready to conquer yet, damp their expectations a bit.

Anyone else noticed how many scenes of Tywin writing letters there have been this season? He's setting up the RW already.

Yep. Can't wait.

The TV series really has the chance to prune some of the less essential plots from the books, it's a really exciting opportunity - as you say, Dany pretty much does fuck all of importance for a good while, and the show's writers have a chance to really cut some slack from the narrative. As it stands the books have expanded much beyond GRRM's original idea - and although I'm a big fan, as with anything this large, there's bound to be areas of fat. Not thart he's lost control of it, but sometimes you get through the books and think there's bits without much of a point...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
How?
The crazed and desperate look on Cat’s face is exactly how I imagined her watching Robb die on the books and she started turning paler and more aggressive as the scene progressed, looked well dead before she throws Bran of the tree. Maybe it wasn't an RW foreshowing per se but it definitely had something to do with Cat death and her turning in Lady Stoneheart.

Offline Red Ant

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
Anyone think we'll see Joffrey get married this season? I thought that would def be next season but they seem to be building up to it quite a lot so far this season.

It's been mentioned in nearly every Kings Landing scene which seems strange if it wasn't happening this year on t.v. Plus I think it will save going out on a massive downer.

Several of the characters arcs would end nicely if they managed to squeeze it in the finale.

Offline longball

• scrotum like a letter L
  • Kopite
  • Agora é a hora.
Some good exposition from the Hound in this episode regarding the Targ's. Ayra was great in that scene too. Already good chemistry there between those two.

Loved the mutiny. Just hope The Bear isn't fully dead yet and he gets to give his last words. They haven't really

Disappointed with the lack of time they've given to Jon Snow and the Wildlings so far. They probably spent most of the budget for those characters on them climbing the wall I guess. I'm sure what they do show will be immense though.

If people are going to talk about upcoming episodes, in terms of specific events, could they spoiler it please. Prefer going in clean.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2013, 11:33:17 pm »
How good did the Sept of Baelor look by the way? Loved the design and scale of it.

Online jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What was that line about Sansa marrying Loras by the way ?  Loras is in the king's guard in the show already and cannot marry anyone.  Massive brainfart on the part of the writers of the show.  I suppose they didn't want to introduce a new character that has little to do in Willas but I just don't understand how she will marry Loras unless they use the Queen of Thorns to quickly dampen by saying ''Don't be silly girl, Loras is a king's guard'' when Sansa broaches the subject.