Author Topic: Pink Floyd  (Read 45469 times)

Offline golly51

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Pink Floyd
« Reply #280 on: January 26, 2016, 10:51:52 am »
I'm off to see Aussie Floyd in October in Cardiff.   Anybody seen them?
Hopefully theyll get round to doing Pretty Woman n all,and actually put a pretty woman in the lead role instead of Julia Roberts.She looks like picasso's tried drawing a horse with his feet
              Suarez doesn't stop for nerves. He is too good

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: January 26, 2016, 10:55:57 am »
I'm off to see Aussie Floyd in October in Cardiff.   Anybody seen them?

Seen them at V Festival a few years ago and they were amazing. Like truly amazing. Are they doing a UK tour?

Offline golly51

• Anny Roader
« Reply #282 on: January 26, 2016, 12:07:38 pm »
Yes,  I was told a year or two back that a few of them had jumped ship and joined Brit Floyd.
 Nearest I'm ever going to get to watching Floyd.
Hopefully theyll get round to doing Pretty Woman n all,and actually put a pretty woman in the lead role instead of Julia Roberts.She looks like picasso's tried drawing a horse with his feet

Offline golly51

• Anny Roader
« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2016, 12:14:53 pm »
http://www.aussiefloyd.com/tour-dates/qs/region/uk    I hope this is correct. I'm useless at posting links etc.

Offline Shaun101

• Didn't take up his ticket for the Screen Sports Super Cup
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Where did I leave it?
« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2016, 11:37:47 am »
http://www.aussiefloyd.com/tour-dates/qs/region/uk    I hope this is correct. I'm useless at posting links etc.

Saw them for the first time last year , they were amazing one of the best bands , never mind tribute bands I have ever seen.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2016, 04:59:15 pm »
Saw them with my dad about ten years ago in Liverpool, thought they were brilliant. I remember it being a really long concert which allowed for some not-rushed jamming in Sheep and Echoes.

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Goodnight sweet girl gonna miss you
« Reply #286 on: January 30, 2016, 02:51:31 pm »
I saw floyd in 94 for the division bell tour, they recorded that tour and made pulse.

One of my fav songs is the Fletcher memorial home from the final cut.
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: February 3, 2016, 11:06:28 am »
Got 4 tickets for this in October at the Empire. Can't wait

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #288 on: February 7, 2016, 06:34:16 pm »
I'm going to see Pink Floyd Project in April close to where I live.

Supposedly they're pretty good...?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #290 on: August 1, 2016, 11:43:58 pm »
One of my best mates brother is in Off The Wall tribute band. Smaller venues but very good I hear. Hes the Roger Waters I think, bass and long leather jacket. Toured uk and done south america.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #291 on: June 18, 2017, 10:32:24 pm »
Went to the V&A today to The Our Mortal Remains exhibition, it was very impressive indeed,

Maybe not as interactive as I expected but a treat nonetheless,

One small gripe I have is I know Gilmour and Mason are the only two official members left therefore I'm not sure if they had a sway on what was shown because there was almost as much 86-1995 stuff as the rest combined!

Honestly I think there was more exhibition afforded to the monstrosity which is Momentary Lapse of Reason than The Wall!

Highly recommend though for any Floyd fans

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #292 on: June 18, 2017, 10:57:20 pm »
Went to the V&A today to The Our Mortal Remains exhibition, it was very impressive indeed,

Maybe not as interactive as I expected but a treat nonetheless,

One small gripe I have is I know Gilmour and Mason are the only two official members left therefore I'm not sure if they had a sway on what was shown because there was almost as much 86-1995 stuff as the rest combined!

Honestly I think there was more exhibition afforded to the monstrosity which is Momentary Lapse of Reason than The Wall!

Highly recommend though for any Floyd fans

Roger Waters was definitely involved.

I saw it at a preview and would recommend it but for me as an oldie, the show was pretty much over after the first couple of rooms.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #293 on: June 19, 2017, 08:33:46 am »
Roger Waters was definitely involved.

I saw it at a preview and would recommend it but for me as an oldie, the show was pretty much over after the first couple of rooms.
Yeah I agree,

Whilst I'm more of a fan of the 71-79 era I was amazed they managed to fit the first 7 albums into one room which seemed crazy considering how much the later albums were afforded,

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: June 19, 2017, 05:27:12 pm »
Sorry to hijack the exhibition chat lads but thought id just share this in here while its still fresh in my mind.

On Holiday in Thailand last week I was watching a Thai Reggae band at a bar and they did a cool cover of 'Wish you were here' (Reggae style obviously)

After the set I was chatting and having a beer with the lead singer and he told me their's was a cover of a cover by a famous Reggae artist called Alpha Blondy.

Just got around to listening to the proper cover it and its even cooler.  If you don't like Reggae it will probably warrant at 'Meh' from you, if you like Reggae AND Floyd (as I do) you may like it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bsoiupLME-w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bsoiupLME-w</a>

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #295 on: October 6, 2017, 05:02:41 pm »
Just listening to The Endless River for the first time in about six months, maybe more, because I damn near worn the thing out.

Without wanting to bore people and sound like a soppy arl fool - isn't music fucking fantastic hey?
And in short, I was afraid

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #296 on: October 8, 2017, 03:55:21 pm »
My brother was a bigger fan of Pink Floyd than me, but I remember him playing The Great Gig in the Sky to me and it was just amazing that first time. The woman's voice as it soars over the music just gave me goosebumps, still does now.

https://youtu.be/T13se_2A7c8
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #297 on: October 8, 2017, 08:01:33 pm »
My brother was a bigger fan of Pink Floyd than me, but I remember him playing The Great Gig in the Sky to me and it was just amazing that first time. The woman's voice as it soars over the music just gave me goosebumps, still does now.

That’s the great thing about Pink Floyd, goosebump moments galore. I’ve just cooked tea with my new Denon Bluetooth speaker thingymajig next to me blasting out ‘Animals’. Long time since I’ve heard that brilliantly simple 2 minute outro at the end of ‘Sheep’ (an epic song even before the outro kicks in) but there it was straight to the pleasure buttons in the brain. Air guitar all round the kitchen! (Bit daft looking with a fish slice)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: October 8, 2017, 08:35:43 pm »

Clare Torry was the singer. She improvised the whole thing by pretending she was an instrument and did it in 2 and a half takes. The band wanted 3 but she stopped as it was getting repetitive.

As I get older, the lyrics to Time really hit home.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: October 8, 2017, 08:49:17 pm »
Christ yeah, hit squarely home

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: October 8, 2017, 09:07:58 pm »

"Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" should be the English national footy anthem.

Great tune though. Great album, too. Always loved WYWH as well, but a lot of their stuff bored me after a while. Still love those soloes on Comfortably Numb, mind, awe-inspiring work from Gilmour.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #301 on: October 8, 2017, 09:12:19 pm »
Full in the face, brother. "And then one day you find 10 years have got behind you, no-one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun!" Way to remind you to make the most of that day, right?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #302 on: October 8, 2017, 09:30:09 pm »

This comment made me laugh:

Raymond Reyes
Raymond Reyes
1 year ago
Lyrics:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: October 8, 2017, 09:52:21 pm »
Full in the face, brother. "And then one day you find 10 years have got behind you, no-one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun!" Way to remind you to make the most of that day, right?
So true. I’ve listened to the Easy star’s ‘dub side...’ again recently. Their version of Time is class!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: October 8, 2017, 09:57:51 pm »
So true. I’ve listened to the Easy star’s ‘dub side...’ again recently. Their version of Time is class!
Fuckin love that CD........good shout!!!! Very hard to do a reggae version of what is essentially a prog-rock album - not a lot of rhythm guitar in reggae - but they still manage it! Boss.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: October 8, 2017, 10:17:49 pm »
This comment made me laugh:

Raymond Reyes
Raymond Reyes
1 year ago
Lyrics:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

There were some pretty strange comments on there to be fair. But that's cool.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: October 8, 2017, 10:20:15 pm »
Clare Torry was the singer. She improvised the whole thing by pretending she was an instrument and did it in 2 and a half takes. The band wanted 3 but she stopped as it was getting repetitive.

I think I saw an interview on youtube with her, she has amazing voice control, its so difficult to get your breathing right if you do something like that. It amazes me she did it in 2 and a half takes, the instrument explanation makes perfect sense though. Probably why it sounds so natural as well.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: October 8, 2017, 10:24:04 pm »
That’s the great thing about Pink Floyd, goosebump moments galore. I’ve just cooked tea with my new Denon Bluetooth speaker thingymajig next to me blasting out ‘Animals’. Long time since I’ve heard that brilliantly simple 2 minute outro at the end of ‘Sheep’ (an epic song even before the outro kicks in) but there it was straight to the pleasure buttons in the brain. Air guitar all round the kitchen! (Bit daft looking with a fish slice)

;D Get you with your new Denon Bluetooth speaker hey. I'm glad someone's keeping up with the modern world.  :wave

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: October 8, 2017, 10:30:10 pm »
;D Get you with your new Denon Bluetooth speaker hey. I'm glad someone's keeping up with the modern world.  :wave
;D

Jill, when I say new I mean new to me. It probably went obsolete about 10 years ago! Sounds bloody good though

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: October 8, 2017, 10:30:42 pm »
I think I saw an interview on youtube with her, she has amazing voice control, its so difficult to get your breathing right if you do something like that. It amazes me she did it in 2 and a half takes, the instrument explanation makes perfect sense though. Probably why it sounds so natural as well.

Read an interview with her and she said she was singing words and the band said no, no lyrics. She said tried and it got to the point where she was going to give up as she just couldn't get anything, then it occurred to her to just be an instrument and that was that. After the first take, I think it was David Gilmour who said do it again with more emotion. By the third take it wasn't working for her, so she stopped and they got bits from all 3 takes to make up the final version.

She got paid £30 for the work at the time, but ended up successfully suing the band for royalties a few years ago, loss of earnings and stuff. She got songwriting credits or something, due to it being all her own work on the voice.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
« Last Edit: October 8, 2017, 10:33:50 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: October 8, 2017, 10:34:41 pm »
;D

Jill, when I say new I mean new to me. It probably went obsolete about 10 years ago! Sounds bloody good though

I had an ipod for years and it finally died on me, and I couldn't get a replacement. I had my entire collection on it so I was like lost. But eventually I got the new ipod nano, and while I can't get the entire collection on it, it sounds pretty good. But like you say these cool things are pretty soon out of date nowadays. My nephew is already taking the mick out of me. That's old stuff he said! :(

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: October 8, 2017, 10:50:27 pm »
I think it was RW who suggested to her that she improvised by imagining all the horror in the world. She totally deserves what she eventually won because what she laid down was a piece of pure vocal art.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: October 8, 2017, 11:38:28 pm »
Read an interview with her and she said she was singing words and the band said no, no lyrics. She said tried and it got to the point where she was going to give up as she just couldn't get anything, then it occurred to her to just be an instrument and that was that. After the first take, I think it was David Gilmour who said do it again with more emotion. By the third take it wasn't working for her, so she stopped and they got bits from all 3 takes to make up the final version.

She got paid £30 for the work at the time, but ended up successfully suing the band for royalties a few years ago, loss of earnings and stuff. She got songwriting credits or something, due to it being all her own work on the voice.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines

That background stuff is interesting. I'm glad she benefited a bit more from her performance as in the circumstances it was a pretty major part of the whole success of that particular song.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #313 on: October 9, 2017, 03:08:16 am »

Have you heard the live versions of Dogs (aka "You Gotta Be Crazy") and Sheep ("Raving and Drooling") from the "Experience" edition of WYWH? Absolutely superb.

Slightly off topic, here's Ween with the VERY Floydish "Did You See Me?"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sADa7d5vwKE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sADa7d5vwKE</a>
We are Liverpool!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: October 9, 2017, 11:13:36 am »
Have you heard the live versions of Dogs (aka "You Gotta Be Crazy") and Sheep ("Raving and Drooling") from the "Experience" edition of WYWH? Absolutely superb.
No I haven’t mate, will look them up.

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: October 13, 2017, 02:38:20 pm »
Got tickets to see RW next year in August in Copenhagen on his tour Us + Them. 20% of his newer stuff, 80% of stuff from DSOTM, WYWH, The Wall and Animals.

Chuffed for me I am!!! :scarf

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: October 13, 2017, 03:17:14 pm »
Got tickets to see RW next year in August in Copenhagen on his tour Us + Them. 20% of his newer stuff, 80% of stuff from DSOTM, WYWH, The Wall and Animals.

Chuffed for me I am!!! :scarf
Awesome teaser for you. :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_wMDb7ddSeY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_wMDb7ddSeY</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: October 17, 2017, 01:38:18 pm »
Awesome teaser for you. :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_wMDb7ddSeY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_wMDb7ddSeY</a>

Ta! :thumbup

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: November 22, 2018, 06:46:13 pm »
This is the best Pink Floyd cover i've ever heard.

And the guitar solo is wow!!!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8R6StQfLNbw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8R6StQfLNbw</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #319 on: July 7, 2019, 03:04:13 am »
Overhead the albatross..

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .