Author Topic: Dublin for a couple of days... things to do  (Read 35861 times)

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
Re: Dublin for a couple of days... things to do
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:20 pm »
Heading down to Dublin on Sunday 28th October and am staying at the hilton Kilmainham - does anyone know if there are any bars around there where I could watch the Liverpool/Everton match ?

Cant recommend anything out in Kilmainham but sure just go into the city centre and head to The Living Room, The Woolshed or Sinnotts for somewhere with abit of atmosphere.

If you're into the band Beach House they're playing Dublin on the 28th in Vicar Street, that'd be a great night out.

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2012, 07:14:03 pm »
Thank you  :D

Offline ben138

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2012, 11:55:45 pm »
Heading down to Dublin on Sunday 28th October and am staying at the hilton Kilmainham - does anyone know if there are any bars around there where I could watch the Liverpool/Everton match ?

You're only 10/15 minutes from town on the tram or bus, pubs around there will be a bit grim, every pub in town will be showing the match

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: October 19, 2012, 01:07:50 am »
Not for the match, but for a few pints, be sure to visit

My God, they do a good pint of Guinness in there!

Offline red_dub

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2012, 09:48:03 am »
Thank you  :D
Kilmainham is a good area as your very central. Shepnois gave some great shouts. Woolshed the best imo, loads of screens and good seats(just need to get there early to get the best ones) and they do nice grub aswell.
Theres a supporters club ten minutes away in a taxi too at the stoneboat bar on sundrive road.
enjoy
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

Bill Shankly

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: August 4, 2013, 12:14:51 pm »
Yo lids.

Over for the football next weekend. Is it worth bothering with this : "GAA Hurling All-Ireland Semi Final - Dublin v Cork    Croke Park" like will it be a good game and good atmosphere or will it be shit and half empty? I've not got a clue about this sport!

Thanking you.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 4, 2013, 07:18:24 pm »
Yo lids.

Over for the football next weekend. Is it worth bothering with this : "GAA Hurling All-Ireland Semi Final - Dublin v Cork    Croke Park" like will it be a good game and good atmosphere or will it be shit and half empty? I've not got a clue about this sport!

Thanking you.
It would be well worth going to. Probably a lot better than the football.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 4, 2013, 09:39:11 pm »
It would be well worth going to. Probably a lot better than the football.

Thanks mate, might aswell check it out while I'm there.

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #168 on: August 5, 2013, 10:38:56 pm »
http://www.fxbuckley.ie/

If your planning a nice meal whilst in Dublin check out one of these restaraunt s they do the nicest steaks ever

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: August 6, 2013, 08:11:47 am »
http://www.fxbuckley.ie/

If your planning a nice meal whilst in Dublin check out one of these restaraunt s they do the nicest steaks ever

Great steaks. Probably the leading butchers in Dublin for 40+ years.

Was in Dublin a few weeks ago and had a great time @ http://www.lmulligangrocer.com The food is great and they have a shed load of local whiskeys.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 4, 2013, 09:24:31 am »
Probably not the right place to put this but it's the most recent thread with Ireland in the title...

My lads mum's uncle has just passed away this morning in Ireland (Rep) and she's asking about taking my boy over there for a few days for the funeral and see family etc. He's only 2 and not got his own passport yet so I was wondering do we or, more specifically, children need a passport to travel across to the Republic?

Quick google search says you should take a passport anyway as you may or may not be checked...

Any help would be great.

Offline Redzippy

• Kopite
  • Woof woof ! - sick of it i tells yer !
« Reply #171 on: September 4, 2013, 09:52:39 am »
Probably not the right place to put this but it's the most recent thread with Ireland in the title...

My lads mum's uncle has just passed away this morning in Ireland (Rep) and she's asking about taking my boy over there for a few days for the funeral and see family etc. He's only 2 and not got his own passport yet so I was wondering do we or, more specifically, children need a passport to travel across to the Republic?

Quick google search says you should take a passport anyway as you may or may not be checked...

Any help would be great.
Short answer mate .... is Yes he will need his own passport
Y-N-W-A

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 4, 2013, 10:28:14 am »
Short answer mate .... is Yes he will need his own passport

From the gov site it says "Ireland, along with the UK, is a member of the Common Travel Area. British nationals travelling from the UK don’t need a passport to visit Ireland. However, Irish immigration officers will check the ID of all passengers arriving by air from the UK and may ask for proof of nationality, particularly if you were born outside the UK. You are therefore advised to take your British passport with you.
Most airlines and other transport providers won’t carry passengers to and from Ireland unless they have seen satisfactory photographic ID. Check with your carrier before travelling."

They'll be going over on the ferry so I'd have thought if she took his birth certificate it'd be alright, but you're saying he'd defo need one mate?

Offline Redzippy

• Kopite
« Reply #173 on: September 4, 2013, 02:38:08 pm »
From the gov site it says "Ireland, along with the UK, is a member of the Common Travel Area. British nationals travelling from the UK don’t need a passport to visit Ireland. However, Irish immigration officers will check the ID of all passengers arriving by air from the UK and may ask for proof of nationality, particularly if you were born outside the UK. You are therefore advised to take your British passport with you.
Most airlines and other transport providers won’t carry passengers to and from Ireland unless they have seen satisfactory photographic ID. Check with your carrier before travelling."

They'll be going over on the ferry so I'd have thought if she took his birth certificate it'd be alright, but you're saying he'd defo need one mate?
to be honest i'd get a passport just to be on the safeside... especially with it being a little kid.
I tried to travel to Dublin last year without me passport (i left it at home) but they wouldnt accept any other ID (i had me driving license & other ids but they werent having any of it !) had to shoot home get me passport & managed to get the next flight fortunately !

But hey its up to you what you do.... just saying this is what happened to me.
Y-N-W-A

Offline Redzippy

• Kopite
« Reply #174 on: September 4, 2013, 02:39:50 pm »
Just re-read your post....... (i have no idea regarding the ferry - the only ferry ive ever been on was the one over to france... and they didnt even stop or check us for any ID whatsoever !) so sorry fella not much help im afraid ! :)
Y-N-W-A

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #175 on: September 4, 2013, 03:34:30 pm »
Yo lids.

Thanking you.
Really hope he went to this, it turned out to be one of the greatest games of recent years with nearly a sold out attendance. Cracker.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #176 on: September 4, 2013, 05:24:26 pm »

Any help would be great.

Sorry to hear that mate.

I'm Irish and have been over to England a lot, a few times with a nipper. Sadly, yes, we all needed the passport for flying.

Now we also used the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead and none of us were asked for passports on either side, we were just waved on. It was a few years ago so maybe they've tightened up on it since. Might be worth showing up and trying as an absolute last resort.

Hope you find a way mate.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 4, 2013, 06:10:13 pm »
Thanks for the advise chaps, much appreciated!!

Offline banksybanks

• Legacy Fan
  • Oranges and cigarettes
« Reply #178 on: September 5, 2013, 11:28:37 pm »
Yeah, we do the Holyhead Dublin a few times a year. They never seem to check how many people are in the car, never mind asking for ID etc! However, coming back to Holyhead they sometimes do spot checks around the customs area, so better safe than sorry. I think generally, so long as you've got some form of photo ID you'll be grand. Obviously, a child will probably only have a passport with a photo on.

I'll be heading over with the little 'un myself in a few days, as the mother-in-law is on her last legs. Wife's been over with her since the start of August. Sad times....

Edit: just seen your kid doesn't have a passport; looks like you'll have to wing it and sweet talk them if you get stopped. Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 5, 2013, 11:30:18 pm by banksybanks »

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #179 on: September 6, 2013, 01:25:03 pm »
Have done Dublin-Holyhead and Rosslare-Pembroke by ferry and on both occasions like the poster above, they didn't even check how many were in our car so we didn't need to show our passports at any stage. That doesn't mean the same will happen on every trip but they are quite relaxed about it from my experiences.

Really hope he went to this, it turned out to be one of the greatest games of recent years with nearly a sold out attendance. Cracker.
Would echo this, was a fantastic game with a great atmosphere, let us know what you thought of it if you went GOAT.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 6, 2013, 03:08:37 pm »
Would reccomend heading to Tallaght for a few pints.Its erm...different
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 6, 2013, 03:19:57 pm »
Weather permitting, which it probably won't, you should pop into the beer garden of the Russell Court Hotel on Harcourt St which is just round the corner from you.
[/quote

when i lived in dublin, on the odd day we got nice weather id always go in there.Great beer garden.Liverpool could do with one like that. top class
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: October 8, 2013, 10:24:46 am »
Right.

So, we're a bunch of lads thats been traveling together since the uni days and our next trip will be to Dublin - march next year.

Previous exploits have, amongst other, been Berlin, Barcelona, London and we always try to incorporate some.. uhm.. entertainment along the way.

So this time we were thinking about rugby - or! Hurling.

I have no experience with either. I've found a fixture list for the rugby and there's a couple of matches that can fit our schedule ie played at the Aviva stadium in Dublin, (Landsdowne vs Ballynahinch or Landsdowne vs Cork Constitution - depending on what weekend we'll go).

But Hurling is, apparently, a different kettle of fish. Fuck if I can find a fixture list for that.. I find fixture planners, who lists a bunch of names, qualifying groups for Leinster and Munster - with no fucking dates mind you. I don't get it... Probably something I've overlooked, but either way - a pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.

Couple of ?'s:
- Rugby or Hurling? For a bunch of lads who now fuck all about it; what's more... fun?
- Can you drink at the stadium during the games? (Remember, I'm Norwegian. Stuff like that is shunned like the debil himself over here..)
- Tips on a good place to watch the Reds is a must, (will either be the Man Utd or Cardiff game)
- What else to see and do for a group 6 middle-aged young fellas? (yes, we'll stay away from the Temple Bar area..)
- This time around we plan on renting an appartment, I see there's a fair few out there, any thoughts on this?

And lastly, RAWKites in the area, chime in and I'll buy a drink or two.

Thanks!

@Yvanicuzz

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: October 8, 2013, 03:59:02 pm »
Right.

So, we're a bunch of lads thats been traveling together since the uni days and our next trip will be to Dublin - march next year.

Previous exploits have, amongst other, been Berlin, Barcelona, London and we always try to incorporate some.. uhm.. entertainment along the way.

I have no experience with either. I've found a fixture list for the rugby and there's a couple of matches that can fit our schedule ie played at the Aviva stadium in Dublin, (Landsdowne vs Ballynahinch or Landsdowne vs Cork Constitution - depending on what weekend we'll go).

But Hurling is, apparently, a different kettle of fish. Fuck if I can find a fixture list for that.. I find fixture planners, who lists a bunch of names, qualifying groups for Leinster and Munster - with no fucking dates mind you. I don't get it... Probably something I've overlooked, but either way - a pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.

Couple of ?'s:
- Rugby or Hurling? For a bunch of lads who now fuck all about it; what's more... fun?
- Can you drink at the stadium during the games? (Remember, I'm Norwegian. Stuff like that is shunned like the debil himself over here..)
- Tips on a good place to watch the Reds is a must, (will either be the Man Utd or Cardiff game)
- What else to see and do for a group 6 middle-aged young fellas? (yes, we'll stay away from the Temple Bar area..)
- This time around we plan on renting an appartment, I see there's a fair few out there, any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Hurling! Hurling! Hurling! Hurling!

You'd be lucky to catch your breath during the 70 minutes of a hurling game! Just from watching it! Unfortunately you'll be over at a bad time. The GAA football and hurling championships don't start until May. There will be league games on in March though so you could go to one of those although there will not be near the same crowd or intensity/excitement involved as with the Championship.

Those rugby games mentioned I wouldn't bother with. They're only small games, not the rugby you'd see in the Heineken Cup or anything like that, with only a few hundred attending in all likelihood.

As for the other questions:

No drinking at your seats in the stadium. Except for the rugby games in the Aviva I think. Can drink in the back of the stand in Croke Park (GAA) though if there are any games on during your visit.

Sinnotts at Stephens Green is usually a decent place to watch games, others will be able to answer this better though.

And sorry, but I've no idea on the apartments as I live close enough to town itself so never had the need to rent one  :D

« Last Edit: October 8, 2013, 04:01:54 pm by AshbourneRed »

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: October 8, 2013, 04:03:19 pm »
Yo lids.

Thanking you.

Oh, and I also wanna say that I really hope you made it to this! One of the best games I've seen in years!

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: October 9, 2013, 06:39:24 pm »
Big thanks AR! Much appreciated.

Typical, now I'd really like us to see some Hurling, oh well - next time then.

Hmm.. nothing on at Croke Park - yet. Can't find anything on their event-listing-thingie.

Those rugby games mentioned I wouldn't bother with. They're only small games

Really, like not at all? Don't want the lads to bore themselves - tho that can be salvaged by;

No drinking at your seats in the stadium. Except for the rugby games in the Aviva I think.

Apologies, but I didn't get this. So, usually no drinking there, but at Rugby matches it's ok?

Either way, much obliged mate :wave
@Yvanicuzz

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #186 on: October 9, 2013, 07:36:29 pm »
Big thanks AR! Much appreciated.

Typical, now I'd really like us to see some Hurling, oh well - next time then.

Hmm.. nothing on at Croke Park - yet. Can't find anything on their event-listing-thingie.
And there wont be until February when the season kicks off again. If you're around Paddy's day the Club Finals will be on, these are the teams that the county stars are drawn from. Nowhere the standard of what goes on in the summer, but still a 100 times better than almost every sport on the planet.

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: October 9, 2013, 08:29:00 pm »
And there wont be until February

!

Looks like we're be over 13. to 16. of march - where will the fun stuffz be then!? ;D
@Yvanicuzz

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #188 on: October 9, 2013, 08:35:53 pm »
Looks like we're be over 13. to 16. of march - where will the fun stuffz be then!? ;D
So you're leaving Dublin the day before St Patrick's Day, that's what a lot of the locals do as well. Pity you'll miss the club finals, you could watch the parade and be up in time for the start of the Hurling in Croker.

There will be a lot of stuff happening Paddy's weekend.
http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/index.php/events

Offline NotBeenInAigburthSince2008

• Kopite
« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2013, 01:22:15 pm »
Right.

Couple of ?'s:

Thanks!

There are short term to let apartments beside the Aviva on Lansdowne Rd right beside the train station.

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2013, 07:48:33 am »
Thanks fer replies lads.

Was not aware it was St. Patrick's Day weekend - we'll take that as a bonus :)

One of the other lads have booked the accommodation, looks like we're staying near High street - no idea if that's good or bad.

Any tips on good restaurants?
@Yvanicuzz

Offline NotBeenInAigburthSince2008

• Kopite
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2013, 09:38:11 am »
High St is quite close to Christchurch and given that's where your staying you pretty much have to visit the Brazen Head, which is one of the 800 or so pubs that claim to be Ireland's oldest. You're pretty central and about a 10 minute walk to Temple Bar where you will undoubtedly spend most of your time, being tourists :)

Restaurants: Tante Zoe used to be very good, then the chef left and it was shite but my understanding is that it's improved again, Mongolian BBQ is good. I don't get out very often so I could be years out of date here. There are some nice restaurants at the bottom of George St. It's traditional at this point on RAWK for me to tell you that you simply have to go for pints in the George, but I'm not going to do that, cos I'm dead nice me.

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2013, 10:12:48 am »
Hehe, Mrs Yc and meself were in Dublin a year ago - so I've been thru this thread before. ;)

Was aware of Temple Bar last time and even more now, so I'll try to keep the lads away, (was horrible last time, seemed like 4 outta 5 there were American "yeah, dude" - tourists.

Thanks fer tips! Anyone else? :wave
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2013, 01:49:54 pm »
What kind of €€€ do you want to be spending for dinner?
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2013, 07:11:40 pm »
If Leinster Rugby (the best side in Europe over the last 5 years) are playing at home that weekend then that will be the biggest sporting occasion in Dublin but that will probably depend on them still being in the European cup. Nobody will be at the games you mentioned and as said above its the wrong time for Hurling. Also since its a lads away trip I'm sure you would enjoy being there for Paddys day so if possible I would stay for that.

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: October 12, 2013, 07:23:58 am »
What kind of €€€ do you want to be spending for dinner?

Hmm.. not sure really. Mid-high-end? As said, we're 6 adults with fairly decent jobs, ('cept me, who recently got sacked :no - but I reckon to be back in action by this trip), so we're.. 'ok' moneywise.

Then again, it's the lads on tour - so we're happy with pretty much everything.

If Leinster Rugby (the best side in Europe over the last 5 years) are playing at home that weekend then that will be the biggest sporting occasion in Dublin but that will probably depend on them still being in the European cup. Nobody will be at the games you mentioned and as said above its the wrong time for Hurling. Also since its a lads away trip I'm sure you would enjoy being there for Paddys day so if possible I would stay for that.

Yeah, gut tells me we'll have to look for some other options than the rugby..

Thanks again.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: October 12, 2013, 12:01:03 pm »
Hmm.. not sure really. Mid-high-end? As said, we're 6 adults with fairly decent jobs, ('cept me, who recently got sacked :no - but I reckon to be back in action by this trip), so we're.. 'ok' moneywise.

Then again, it's the lads on tour - so we're happy with pretty much everything.

Yeah, gut tells me we'll have to look for some other options than the rugby..

Thanks again.

League of Ireland will have started by then. It's not great quality but the first games of the season tend to have a bit more of an atmosphere. The matches are played on a Friday night as well so you could go to one, that'd start at 19.45 and head out afterwards.

Best ground to get to it they're at home would be St. Patrick's in Inchicore as they're probably going to win the league this year (six points ahead with three games left) and they'd be pretty happy come the start of next season. St. Pats are the most attractive side in the league so that'd be an option for you if you wanted to go to a football match.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #197 on: October 12, 2013, 12:02:13 pm »
Make sure to pay a visit to Tamango's nightclub. Its exotic and as good as it sounds.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: October 12, 2013, 12:11:19 pm »
Make sure to pay a visit to Tamango's nightclub. Its exotic and as good as it sounds.

Ha! Or 'Joes' as we call it. They've a deal before 01.00, €20 gets you in and four drinks. They're desperate for people. Tis full of local kids and older folk who want to drink for longer but aren't arsed going into town.

Tamangos is dying...

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #199 on: October 12, 2013, 12:23:27 pm »
Ha! Or 'Joes' as we call it. They've a deal before 01.00, €20 gets you in and four drinks. They're desperate for people. Tis full of local kids and older folk who want to drink for longer but aren't arsed going into town.

Tamangos is dying...
Thats a serious deal! They should call it "The Depression Special"

Honestly that makes me feel sad, shit nightclubs are the fabric of this nation. Velvet in Swords is another one.