Author Topic: Michael Owen  (Read 350641 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Michael Owen
« Reply #2440 on: November 24, 2017, 11:40:18 pm »
We all make mistakes when were young, but what really sealed it for me was, if you really lived, breathed, slept this club you would not have gone to Newcastle.
Do you remember that game at Anfield? Do you remember his reaction - or lack thereof - when he came on to the pitch - and pointedly ignored the applause from roughly half the stadium? Do you remember the wonderfully scathing "YOU SHOULD HAVE JOINED A BIG CLUB!!!!" chant as the Mighty Toon Army was silenced at 2-0 down? I imagine so. Which is why (as a fan, not a mod!!) I totally resonate with your words. I also remember him pointedly refusing to even acknowledge the fans who'd stayed on to watch him leave through the players' entrance, a full half hour after the rest of the team, after that game - flanked by bodyguards. Some teen scally summed it up beautifully and articulately though - "Forgotten us already, Michael?" - if they could see it then, why can't others see it now? The man's a charlatan, a mercenary, someone who turned his back on his roots, unlike Dalglish, Rush, Aldridge - people whose boots Owen's not worthy of cleaning (the tongue's too busy anyway, up corporate arseholes). Thanks for the goals, Michael, but, well, you know the rest...........
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:42:09 pm by 24/7 »

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2441 on: November 25, 2017, 12:06:06 am »
Thought he went to Newcastle because they were offering a fair bit more than us

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2442 on: November 25, 2017, 12:23:34 am »
Thought he went to Newcastle because they were offering a fair bit more than us

That was what swayed Real Madrid themselves. Rafa met Owen on several occasions, and told him to hang on till January when his price goes down, and we will buy you.

Michael had the 2006 World Cup in mind, and opted for Newcastle for the sake of his England place.

Liverpool wasn't that big of a deal compared to England, as far as he was concerned.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:25:51 am by Andy Hunter »
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2443 on: November 25, 2017, 09:25:10 am »
Pretty glad that I'm just the perfect age to have absolutely idolised Robbie and not 3/4 years younger and being in the position of idolising Owen instead  8)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2444 on: November 25, 2017, 12:32:14 pm »
I dont mind Owen. As I'm getting older I'm caring less and less about footballer's personalities and sentimental stuff like "getting the club" or whatever. As long as you don't do something like spitting at fans or laughing at the Hillsborough Memorial Service I don't think there's much reason to dislike an ex-player.

Truth is, most of us move companies for the good of our career, that's all it is to 99% of footballers. Once in a while a footballer comes along who really does show extraordinary loyalty by staying with a club even though they're sought after by a club with a better chance of success, but they're very rare. Gerrard, Totti, Shearer and Le Tissier spring to mind. (I deliberately didn't include other 'loyal' players like Carra, Scholes, Giggs, Neville, Terry, etc, because lets face it, they were already playing at the highest level of club for their ability, so it doesn't take too much loyalty to stay put). To most footballer though, including most who we love, it's just a job.

People on here like to downplay how good Owen was for us. You don't get the Ballon d'Or unless you're sublime, and he was. One of the best big time players we've had in recent decades, just completely unfazed by any occasion. After underachieving as a club for so long I'd love a bit of his ruthless mentality back on the pitch.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2445 on: November 25, 2017, 12:39:13 pm »
just completely unfazed by any occasion. 

That will tend to happen when you're a soulless robot though ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2446 on: November 25, 2017, 01:01:22 pm »
That will tend to happen when you're a soulless robot though ;D

Exactly! And that's what I want from my centre forwards!

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2447 on: January 5, 2018, 11:08:06 am »
Thought today's Dictionary.com Word of the Day, was appropriate for this thread.

« Last Edit: January 5, 2018, 11:10:27 am by Andy The Elf Hunter »

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #2448 on: January 6, 2018, 07:54:14 am »
Thought today's Dictionary.com Word of the Day, was appropriate for this thread.

Can also describe Sammy Lee.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #2449 on: January 6, 2018, 06:04:29 pm »
The midget twat turncoat robot is on some shite bbc programme tonight, its on in the background...aaannndd instantly off...twat
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2450 on: January 6, 2018, 07:18:38 pm »
Can also describe Sammy Lee.

Sammy left us what, 30 years ago, after helping us to win a succession of trophies.

He isn't a turncoat.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2451 on: January 6, 2018, 07:22:20 pm »
Sammy left us what, 30 years ago, after helping us to win a succession of trophies.

He isn't a turncoat.

Does Owen stop being a turncoat in 16 years?

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2452 on: January 6, 2018, 07:35:01 pm »

He isn't a turncoat.

Being on the coaching staff isn't a turncoat. Daft to suggest so.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2453 on: January 6, 2018, 11:35:24 pm »
Being on the coaching staff isn't a turncoat. Daft to suggest so.

Both are literally the same.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2454 on: January 8, 2018, 12:57:22 pm »
Both are literally the same.

-player for rival 5 years after leaving
-coaching staff for rival 30 years after leaving

literally the same? nah
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2455 on: January 8, 2018, 05:27:36 pm »
-player for rival 5 years after leaving
-coaching staff for rival 30 years after leaving

literally the same? nah

In your opinion, what length of time can pass before a player isn't considered a turncoat?

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2456 on: January 9, 2018, 01:24:38 am »
In your opinion, what length of time can pass before a player isn't considered a turncoat?

Time isn't the issue, Sammy played for us for as long as we wanted him, and now nobody is offering Sammy a job with us, he wants to work so hes gone where the work is. Owen on the other hand fucked us off to go to Madrid for nothing, then when given the chance to come back went to Newcastle instead and then a couple of years later goes to our arch rivals and has talked them up ever since.

If you can't see the difference then ....

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2457 on: January 9, 2018, 09:47:53 am »
Time isn't the issue, Sammy played for us for as long as we wanted him, and now nobody is offering Sammy a job with us, he wants to work so hes gone where the work is. Owen on the other hand fucked us off to go to Madrid for nothing, then when given the chance to come back went to Newcastle instead and then a couple of years later goes to our arch rivals and has talked them up ever since.

If you can't see the difference then ....

It's not about whether I can see the difference.

Look at the post I was quoting. Dench57 thinks time is an issue - Owen is a turncoat because he joined a rival after 5 years, Lee isn't a turncoat because he joined a rival after 30 years. I'm curious to know when, in his opinion, the divide is between being a turncoat and not being a turncoat. 10 years? 15? 20?

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2458 on: February 22, 2018, 05:43:53 pm »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2459 on: February 22, 2018, 05:59:58 pm »
Fucking hell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFnymJDZAS8

Haven't you seen that before?

Or this:

I cant resist..

Come on, sell yourself Micky..

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2460 on: February 22, 2018, 06:24:49 pm »
Forgot to post this at the time.

This was the day before our game with Spurs recently.

Yes our club AMBASSADOR wearing our opponents attire, the day before the game.

But then again...this guy would wear anyone's shirt :lmao

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #2461 on: February 23, 2018, 06:32:14 pm »
Fucking hell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFnymJDZAS8

Hahahahahaha have never seen that before!

Oh my god, Steve Coogan couldn't have scripted that as Partridge.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2462 on: February 23, 2018, 10:30:58 pm »
Forgot to post this at the time.

This was the day before our game with Spurs recently.

Yes our club AMBASSADOR wearing our opponents attire, the day before the game.

But then again...this guy would wear anyone's shirt :lmao

I've seen a few other ex-pro's do this kind of thing. Carra wore Everton gear when interviewing Lukaku.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2463 on: February 24, 2018, 07:08:01 am »
I've seen a few other ex-pro's do this kind of thing. Carra wore Everton gear when interviewing Lukaku.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2464 on: February 24, 2018, 07:57:42 am »
I cant believe people are comparing him with Sammy. That's idiotic.

Even when Owen was with us his priority was always England, considering he's from North Wales tells you everything you need to know about him.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #2465 on: February 24, 2018, 09:41:09 am »
Does Owen stop being a turncoat in 16 years?
The point is Sammi Lee played for us, retired and has carved a decent reputation as an assistant where has worked for a number of clubs.
Owen jumped ship ON CLOSE TO A FREE TRANSFER to sit on the bench at Madrid the year we won No. 5, 😂
Then proceeded to chase the ca$h rather than rejoin LFC.
With the final insult of joining United to finally pull just enough splinters out of his ar*e to get a league winners medal.

There are many reason Owen is considered a turncoat. Years old isn’t  on of them. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:42:52 am by StormyDog »
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2466 on: February 24, 2018, 09:49:28 am »
don't mind Owen....a tool yes, but still got enough in the bank for me to dislike him
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2467 on: February 24, 2018, 12:56:20 pm »
The point is Sammi Lee played for us, retired and has carved a decent reputation as an assistant where has worked for a number of clubs.
Owen jumped ship ON CLOSE TO A FREE TRANSFER to sit on the bench at Madrid the year we won No. 5, 😂
Then proceeded to chase the ca$h rather than rejoin LFC.
With the final insult of joining United to finally pull just enough splinters out of his ar*e to get a league winners medal.

There are many reason Owen is considered a turncoat. Years old isn’t  on of them.
I don’t particularly wish to defend Owen’s legacy, but he has mentioned recently that he tried to rejoin Liverpool every time he moved clubs after Real Madrid, but Liverpool were not interested.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #2468 on: February 24, 2018, 01:00:27 pm »
Got the personality of an avocdao.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Andy Hunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2469 on: February 24, 2018, 01:50:08 pm »
I don’t particularly wish to defend Owen’s legacy, but he has mentioned recently that he tried to rejoin Liverpool every time he moved clubs after Real Madrid, but Liverpool were not interested.

Do you, and this question is open to anyone else

But in 2012, after the Clint Dempsey thing, I'll be honest with you, social media was ablaze with people clamouring for Owen to come back. Neil Critchley on LFC TV even said 'we can't avoid this anymore, we need to discuss the elephant in the room, Michael Owen'.

Do you think if all the stuff with United never happened, do you think Rodgers would of took a pay as you play gamble? Or even a normal contract.

For me, he was not worth it at that point. But I felt Jen Chang was putting feelers out to gauge the fans opinion before saying no.

What does everyone think?

Everyone knows my thoughts on Owen a bit further up in this thread.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2470 on: February 24, 2018, 03:58:24 pm »
Do you, and this question is open to anyone else

But in 2012, after the Clint Dempsey thing, I'll be honest with you, social media was ablaze with people clamouring for Owen to come back. Neil Critchley on LFC TV even said 'we can't avoid this anymore, we need to discuss the elephant in the room, Michael Owen'.

Do you think if all the stuff with United never happened, do you think Rodgers would of took a pay as you play gamble? Or even a normal contract.

For me, he was not worth it at that point. But I felt Jen Chang was putting feelers out to gauge the fans opinion before saying no.

What does everyone think?

Everyone knows my thoughts on Owen a bit further up in this thread.
I think the only time he was worth re-signing as an important member of the squad is immediately after his year in Madrid. As I recall, he had another serious injury in his first season at Newcastle. After that point, he was worth signing as a backup on middling wages, but nothing more than that, I think.

You're not Andy Hunter of The Guardian, are you?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:59:56 pm by rscanderlech »

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2471 on: February 24, 2018, 05:03:09 pm »

That might be his version of events, but I don't think that's true.

It was widely reported that we were interested in re-signing him from Real, but weren't willing to pay a 50% premium on what we'd sold him for a year earlier.
We wanted Owen to push for a move to us to drive down the price, but he was worried about getting stuck on the bench at Real with the World Cup coming up, so went to Newcastle instead.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2472 on: February 24, 2018, 06:34:55 pm »
That might be his version of events, but I don't think that's true.

It was widely reported that we were interested in re-signing him from Real, but weren't willing to pay a 50% premium on what we'd sold him for a year earlier.
We wanted Owen to push for a move to us to drive down the price, but he was worried about getting stuck on the bench at Real with the World Cup coming up, so went to Newcastle instead.

Because you know more than Owen does about his own desire to play in certain places?

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #2473 on: February 24, 2018, 07:12:38 pm »

Everton was Carra's boyhood club.  He even switched sides to Everton in his testimonial match.

Doesn't even compare to Owen's pure shill-ness.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2474 on: February 24, 2018, 09:32:12 pm »
Because you know more than Owen does about his own desire to play in certain places?

Of course not, but why should I believe anything he says?

It's all well and good coming out with these comments over a decade later.
I don't remember him making those comments at the time.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2475 on: February 24, 2018, 09:38:28 pm »
Everton was Carra's boyhood club.  He even switched sides to Everton in his testimonial match.

Doesn't even compare to Owen's pure shill-ness.

He's not making a comparison to Owen, he's responding to someone posting Owen in a Spurs training kit as evidence that he's a gobshite.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #2476 on: February 24, 2018, 10:50:53 pm »

For me I just don't think he's a very nice person. I'm sure he does his bit for charity etc as you would hope someone in his position would but whenever I've seen him on TV he has come across as a twat. I vaguely remember this thing he was on whilst trying to score against a kid, not a pro footballer a kid and the way Owen celebrated scoring against him was awful.

Forgetting the whole leaving for Madrid or signing for Utd etc etc I  just don't really like him, Not the type of bloke I would meet down the pub for a pint I know that.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2477 on: February 25, 2018, 12:20:07 am »
For me I just don't think he's a very nice person. I'm sure he does his bit for charity etc as you would hope someone in his position would but whenever I've seen him on TV he has come across as a twat. I vaguely remember this thing he was on whilst trying to score against a kid, not a pro footballer a kid and the way Owen celebrated scoring against him was awful.

Forgetting the whole leaving for Madrid or signing for Utd etc etc I  just don't really like him, Not the type of bloke I would meet down the pub for a pint I know that.

Big Nev was in goal and was having none of it from Owen - "Well done, he's 13". TV gold.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WqOxNspUPyE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WqOxNspUPyE</a>

Tbf though, I loved that about Owen. Ruthless bastard. A fucking great quality in a striker.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #2478 on: February 25, 2018, 04:48:52 am »

Please remove that - that's done by The Sun. Also, it really wasn't very, or at all, funny.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:13:32 pm by Titi Camara »
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline The Driftwood

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2479 on: February 25, 2018, 05:41:35 am »
Please remove that - that's done by The Sun. Also, it really wasn't very, or at all, funny.

Eh, so is Sky Sports owned by Rupert Murdoch but still people watch, it is just a video.
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.