172 (54.4%)
No
66 (20.9%)
I don't know
64 (20.3%)
I don't care
14 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author Topic: Nuclear Energy  (Read 49524 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Nuclear Energy
« Reply #320 on: July 30, 2016, 11:00:27 am »
1. I know, I said that all our nuclear plants are along the coast.  You replied saying that all our other power plants are near water, that may well be, but they aren't all near the coast, repeating what I already said.  Coastal locations are at greater risk from a tsunami, that's the point I was trying to make.

2. Tell that to the people of Fukushima. 

In regards to a UK tsunami, the risk/threat isn't as great, but it is still there and is worth mentioning in my opinion and the opinion of many scientists.

Numerical modeling of tsunami waves generated by the flank collapse of the Cumbre Vieja Volcano (La Palma, Canary Islands): Tsunami source and near field effects

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2011JC007646/full

Landslides in the sea

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/discoveringGeology/hazards/landslides/sea.html

Storegga Slide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storegga_Slide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27224243

How often do these tsunamis occur that affect Britain? Eg. the Storegga Slide last took place in prehistoric times, when Britain was still attached by land to the mainland. The last I've heard of was one in the 17th century that touched the coast of Cornwall. Geologically and meteorologically, Britain is very, very stable.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: July 30, 2016, 12:26:40 pm »
How often do these tsunamis occur that affect Britain? Eg. the Storegga Slide last took place in prehistoric times, when Britain was still attached by land to the mainland. The last I've heard of was one in the 17th century that touched the coast of Cornwall. Geologically and meteorologically, Britain is very, very stable.

It happened about 8,200 years ago, Britain wasn't still attached to the mainland, that ended around 10,000 - 9,000 years ago I think.

Will climate change in the Arctic increase thelandslide-tsunami risk to the UK?

http://projects.noc.ac.uk/landslide-tsunami/project-information

Landslides in the Arctic

'Submarine mega-landslides near to the UK have been very rare and it is thought that only six have occurred beneath the Norwegian and Greenland Seas during the last 20,000 years. It is not yet clear whether all of these mega-landslides generated large tsunamis, and not all landslide-tsunami source locations pose a threat to the UK. For example a tsunami with a source off north-west Svalbard travels towards northwards and would not be noticed along UK coast lines (see figure to the right from Vanneste et al. 2011).

It has been proposed that mega-landslides could become more frequent due to present and future climate change, to which the Arctic is sensitive to. Ocean warming causes melting of gas hydrate (crystalline solids resembling ice that contain methane), which weakens sea floor sediment. Melting of ice sheets will cause an increase in the frequency of large earthquakes, as the Earth’s crust adjusts to the removal of the ice sheet’s weight. These factors, or a combination of both, could cause large submarine landslides that may be tsunamigenic'.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: July 30, 2016, 07:43:24 pm »

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #323 on: July 31, 2016, 07:42:12 am »
Cant we just plug an extension cable into the nuclear subs?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 08:07:47 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: July 31, 2016, 03:58:44 pm »
Sounds like a damn good idea...so No
Speaking of Dams West Yorks has 60 reservoirs and none of them produce electrickery. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:20:53 pm by porkyrawky »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: July 31, 2016, 04:18:47 pm »

I've got a 50m one in the garage but I'm not sure it'll be long enough

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #326 on: July 3, 2017, 03:02:19 pm »
Hinkley C is already going to be 15 months late and cost an extra £1.5 Billion.

I think this will only get worse seeing two other plants they are building are already 5 and 10 years late and over runs of Billions.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2017, 03:09:22 pm by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: July 3, 2017, 03:06:09 pm »
Hinkley C is already going to be 15 months late and cost an extra £1.5 Billion.

No nuclear power station has ever been built on time and on budget anywhere by anyone.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: July 3, 2017, 03:07:48 pm »
No nuclear power station has ever been built on time and on budget anywhere by anyone.

'Lessons learned' high on nobody's list

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: July 3, 2017, 03:21:50 pm »
To be fair these are the sorts of project you'd rather they get right the first time, so I can forgive the overrunning on time

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: July 3, 2017, 04:25:01 pm »
To be fair these are the sorts of project you'd rather they get right the first time, so I can forgive the overrunning on time

I'd rather they didn't bother. Imagine how many retrofit insulation programs could be implemented, along with other energy efficiency schemes. Imagine how much could be spent on renewable energy, imagine how many associated jobs could be created, imagine the boast to the economy.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #331 on: July 3, 2017, 05:33:25 pm »
So that means the price of it is going up by around £25 Million a week.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: July 3, 2017, 06:11:40 pm »
I'd rather they didn't bother. Imagine how many retrofit insulation programs could be implemented, along with other energy efficiency schemes. Imagine how much could be spent on renewable energy, imagine how many associated jobs could be created, imagine the boast to the economy.

You know insulation doesn't create power though, right?

Nuclear energy creates jobs and skills, and boosts the economy too by the way.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: July 3, 2017, 06:15:06 pm »
You know insulation doesn't create power though, right?

Of course not, but it saves a huge amount thus requiring less production.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #334 on: July 4, 2017, 11:27:41 am »

I totally appreciate the difficulties in harnessing offshore wind and supplying power when we need it, rather than when the wind blows. But with the billions being given to the French for this, you'd think we could be a world leader in offshore power and storage tech. Maybe too much of a gamble, but it does seem very blinkered.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: July 4, 2017, 12:12:02 pm »
I totally appreciate the difficulties in harnessing offshore wind and supplying power when we need it, rather than when the wind blows. But with the billions being given to the French for this, you'd think we could be a world leader in offshore power and storage tech. Maybe too much of a gamble, but it does seem very blinkered.

We need to store the excess power generated at "off-peak" times. One idea is to charge electric vehicles overnight when it tends to be more windy.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #336 on: July 4, 2017, 12:20:29 pm »
We need to store the excess power generated at "off-peak" times. One idea is to charge electric vehicles overnight when it tends to be more windy.

It is windier during the day. The heating action of the sun causes more pressure differentials during daylight. It is far more noticeable at night, as there is less ambient noise. Also overnight storage is a sound concept as the demand is so much lower overnight - hence the push for Economy 7 heating and similar.

Systems such as Dinorwig play an important role in smoothing demand curves.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #337 on: July 4, 2017, 01:57:26 pm »
So thats at least another £1.5 Billion the Tory magic money tree found with no problem.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #338 on: July 4, 2017, 02:03:59 pm »
So thats at least another £1.5 Billion the Tory magic money tree found with no problem.

From the Beeb article:

The French state-controlled energy firm [EDF] is funding two-thirds of the plant, which is expected to create more than 25,000 jobs, with China investing the rest.

It is privately funded. Of course the costs are eventually going to be recouped from the guaranteed minimum price and ultimately from the consumer, but it is not Government up front money.  So, no money trees involved, unless you plan to renationalise Electricity Generation.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: July 4, 2017, 02:48:54 pm »
Can't believe the Brexit effect on FX rates hasn't been mentioned as a factor in the increased cost- most of the materials will be bought in USD (although a significant amount should have been hedged) and with the fall in GBP this will have fed through to the total cost.

The more worrying thing is that it is already 15 months behind schedule, we are (and have for decades) seriously under-investing in our energy production leading to a potential energy gap. Even things like the Rough Gas Storage facility shutting last month with no replacement lined up- but apparently its ok as we can import LNG from Qatar (not like that could stop soon)!

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #340 on: July 4, 2017, 02:57:30 pm »
Can't believe the Brexit effect on FX rates hasn't been mentioned as a factor in the increased cost- most of the materials will be bought in USD (although a significant amount should have been hedged) and with the fall in GBP this will have fed through to the total cost.

The more worrying thing is that it is already 15 months behind schedule, we are (and have for decades) seriously under-investing in our energy production leading to a potential energy gap. Even things like the Rough Gas Storage facility shutting last month with no replacement lined up- but apparently its ok as we can import LNG from Qatar (not like that could stop soon)!

This is the problem with privatisation, rake in the profits, under invest and then go to the government for support when it gets critical.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: July 4, 2017, 03:47:52 pm »
The French ennergy system is much better than ours I think.

Renewable are nice, but aren't very practical in this country at the moment. 

Building regs need to be tightened up in regards to newbuilds being more energy efficient, tripple glazing being the minimum standard etc....

Solar panels are good, wind turbines aren't so efficient.

Nuclear fission is currently the best, most efficient and enviornmentally friendly way of meeting our energy requirements.

We need to be doing more with our bio waste, here's a good example of what can be done:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-30125792/eco-friendly-bristol-poo-bus-powered-by-human-waste

Eco-friendly Bristol 'poo bus' powered by human waste

Britain's first bus to be powered by human and food waste has taken to the roads.

The 40-seat Bio-Bus, nicknamed "the number two," will transport people between Bath and Bristol Airport.

The biomethane gas it runs on is produced at a sewage treatment works at Avonmouth.

The eco-friendly vehicle can travel up to 300km (186 miles) on one tank of gas, which takes the annual waste of about five people to produce.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: July 5, 2017, 09:23:04 pm »
In what way inefficient ? As in cost pretty MWh, or in terms of harnessing available energy? Wind turbines aren't too bad on the former, and installing s few billion pounds worth would drive down the price.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 02:01:43 pm by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

gqP6w

« Reply #343 on: July 5, 2017, 11:09:47 pm »
There needs to be further investment in renewable energy. Without research and development of reliance on non renewable becomes a self sustaining circle.

Nuclear is at best a stop gap measure to get us away from oil and coal but it is not environmentally friendly by any stretch of the imagination.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #344 on: July 6, 2017, 11:12:43 am »
There needs to be further investment in renewable energy. Without research and development of reliance on non renewable becomes a self sustaining circle.

Nuclear is at best a stop gap measure to get us away from oil and coal but it is not environmentally friendly by any stretch of the imagination.

Its considered one of the most environmentally friendly sources of energy.

Its not without its dangers obviously, but no viable source is.

gqP6w

« Reply #345 on: July 6, 2017, 11:39:52 am »
Its considered one of the most environmentally friendly sources of energy.

Its not without its dangers obviously, but no viable source is.
Well in terms of green house gasses yes it is environmentally friendly. Personally I wouldn't call something that is dangerously radioactive for thousands of years after use as environmentally friendly.

Roughly 2 years active life, 10 years to cool down, 10s thousands of years emitting very high levels of radioactivity, lets face it calling it environmentally friendly is a bit misleading.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #346 on: July 6, 2017, 01:54:21 pm »
Well in terms of green house gasses yes it is environmentally friendly. Personally I wouldn't call something that is dangerously radioactive for thousands of years after use as environmentally friendly.

Roughly 2 years active life, 10 years to cool down, 10s thousands of years emitting very high levels of radioactivity, lets face it calling it environmentally friendly is a bit misleading.

True, but if we don't drastically reduce those gases the half life of nuclear waste is going to be a moot point.

I agree with your reservations but we have to invest in nuclear now while other sources come up to speed. Gw trumps any concerns I'd have about it.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #347 on: July 6, 2017, 02:36:04 pm »

Isoptopes with very long half-lives tend to emit less radioactivity than those with short half-lives. At the extreme end, Bismuth 209 undergoes alpha decay with a half-life of approximately 1.9×1019 years, over a billion times longer than the current estimated age of the universe.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: July 8, 2017, 07:30:09 am »
Isoptopes with very long half-lives tend to emit less radioactivity than those with short half-lives. At the extreme end, Bismuth 209 undergoes alpha decay with a half-life of approximately 1.9×1019 years, roughly the time you have to wait between Jamie Carragher goals.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: July 24, 2017, 02:02:33 pm »
If I were to believe today's news, it sounds like the government may be following my wish for us to be world leaders in storage tech!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #350 on: December 27, 2023, 04:37:15 pm »
It seems that Japan is moving toward restarting the nuclear power plant near Niigata. I welcome this with cautious optimism. Sooner or later nuclear energy will be considered "clean" and I think it will play a role in phasing out fossil fuels. But as Chernobyl and Fukushima thought us, it has to be handled with great caution and respect, especially respect for the safety rules that must not be overruled. The government had a lot of time to investigate TEPCO's shortcomings, correct their bad practices, and implement sufficient measures of safety. Who knows if everything has been resolved, but here is to hope.

Japan allows world's biggest nuclear plant to restart
https://www.dw.com/en/japan-allows-worlds-biggest-nuclear-plant-to-restart/a-67829687
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: December 28, 2023, 11:27:42 pm »
Some interesting stuff about nuclear in here. The case for and against, plus some extra stuff.
https://www.energytransitioncrisis.org/

Appears to be a way to make it safe. It has been known for decades. Politics came in the way.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: January 5, 2024, 03:15:57 pm »
Some interesting stuff about nuclear in here. The case for and against, plus some extra stuff.
https://www.energytransitioncrisis.org/

Appears to be a way to make it safe. It has been known for decades. Politics came in the way.
Without looking at the specifics detailed at that website, I know there are reactor designs (molten salt, I think) which when they fail, they inevitably stop producing energy. Whereas, in the usual design (PWR), when they fail, the process can and will easily lead to runaway (a meltdown). The first one design is where is everything must be just so for fission to continue; whereas, in the second, everything must be just so to prevent meltdown.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: January 5, 2024, 10:45:43 pm »
Without looking at the specifics detailed at that website, I know there are reactor designs (molten salt, I think) which when they fail, they inevitably stop producing energy. Whereas, in the usual design (PWR), when they fail, the process can and will easily lead to runaway (a meltdown). The first one design is where is everything must be just so for fission to continue; whereas, in the second, everything must be just so to prevent meltdown.

The story around the molten salt reactors was interesting. Had no idea there were so many new companies working on it. Well worth a watch.

Offline The Last Known Survivor

• Anny Roader
« Reply #354 on: January 7, 2024, 08:58:45 pm »
Any sign of these SMR's I've been hearing so much about?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #355 on: January 9, 2024, 08:59:17 am »
Any sign of these SMR's I've been hearing so much about?

Built in Russia and China at the moment.

The US will likely have working ones by the 2030s (ish) from a programme I watched.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #356 on: January 9, 2024, 11:07:21 am »

The US will likely have working ones by the 2030s (ish) from a programme I watched.

The Rolls Royce SMR is already 2 years into the "European regulatory approval process" (which they claim is further along than any other European competitor)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: January 9, 2024, 11:34:26 am »

It seems crazy that the US had one working in the 1960s, and by all accounts, worked very well.* It seems that petty state and national politics and self-interest got in the way.

* Having said that, not by all accounts. There are voices against molten salt reactors:

https://thebulletin.org/2022/06/molten-salt-reactors-were-trouble-in-the-1960s-and-they-remain-trouble-today/
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #358 on: January 9, 2024, 12:38:31 pm »
It seems crazy that the US had one working in the 1960s, and by all accounts, worked very well.* It seems that petty state and national politics and self-interest got in the way.

* Having said that, not by all accounts. There are voices against molten salt reactors:

https://thebulletin.org/2022/06/molten-salt-reactors-were-trouble-in-the-1960s-and-they-remain-trouble-today/

Think Andy was talking about SMR's (Small Modular Reactors), not molten-salt reactors.

The question he was replying to asked about SMR's

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: January 9, 2024, 03:14:15 pm »

Think Andy was talking about SMR's (Small Modular Reactors), not molten-salt reactors.

The question he was replying to asked about SMR's
Ah. Maybe. But the comment could apply to both:

https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Operating-permit-issued-for-Chinese-molten-salt-re

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Draft-design-for-molten-salt-research-reactor-plan