21 (6.5%)
Labour
70 (21.8%)
GP
11 (3.4%)
Ind/Others
77 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 321

Author Topic: The Irish Politics Thread.  (Read 460312 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Irish Politics Thread.
« Reply #4840 on: May 26, 2018, 12:57:26 am »
So, if I have this right, I can now hunt babies?

Just be careful that your Jack Russell doesn't get stuck in the tunnel.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4841 on: May 26, 2018, 01:51:21 am »

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #4842 on: May 26, 2018, 04:56:08 am »

Society advances one funeral at a time.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4843 on: May 26, 2018, 06:06:34 am »

Couldn't have said it better.

One does have to consider that 65+ bracket had the fear of eternal damnation forced down their throat for generations by the church.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #4844 on: May 26, 2018, 11:08:41 am »
Very proud of my country today.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #4845 on: May 26, 2018, 11:18:04 am »
;D

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #4846 on: May 26, 2018, 11:19:31 am »
This was a truly difficult decision for so many. It wasn't straight forward for the quiet middle. I'm proud that a huge majority listened to the stories and the evidence and made this decision despite possible, and understandable, misgivings.

This is not a celebration but a step forward for Ireland and her people.
and despite the shithousery from the no campaign.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4847 on: May 26, 2018, 11:23:03 am »
Couldn't have said it better.

One does have to consider that 65+ bracket had the fear of eternal damnation forced down their throat for generations by the church.

I've just finished reading Fergal Keane's "Wounds", the story of his family's involvement in the IRA and the Irish Civil War.

He comments that by 1922 the Republic had got rid of the English overlords and the Catholic Church immediately filled the vacuum. I think those chains have been broken.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4848 on: May 26, 2018, 11:24:17 am »
So, if I have this right, I can now hunt babies?

Only on Bank Holiday Tuesdays.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4849 on: May 26, 2018, 11:26:49 am »

Yup, was just thinking that the future of Ireland is very Liberal, thank fuck.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4850 on: May 26, 2018, 11:52:58 am »
As a matter that is very close to me personally I am absolutely thrilled at the outcome of the referendum. I think the most amazing aspect of this referendum is the ability of the elder generations who have been indoctrinated in a certain way of thinking for so long being able to use their minds and vote with the their hearts and heads. That isn't meant to be patronising it's truly astonished me how open minded some people have been when it came to this whole process.

Congratulations lads, hopefully we cap it off with a win tonight.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #4851 on: May 26, 2018, 04:37:56 pm »
Delighted to see Kerry and home of the Healy Rae's Kilgarvin vote Yes

Up the Kingdom. Up the Republic

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #4852 on: May 26, 2018, 06:25:29 pm »
66.4% in the end. Slightly less than the exit polls, but I guess there would be a small shy vote no effect.

Extraordinary, historic day though. Not one I was confident of ever seeing, growing up in that environment.

Goodbye to the 8th. Now let's bring home the 6th......

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4853 on: May 27, 2018, 02:22:15 am »
This is the only thing comforting me tonight. As much as I love this club, this was the victory I wanted most today.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #4854 on: May 27, 2018, 05:46:04 am »
Congratulations to Ireland.  :)

In a world where the supposed leader of the free world - The United States - is sliding deeper and deeper back into a dystopian and backwards functioning reality that existed ages ago, it's nice to see another nation take a leap forward into modernity.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4855 on: May 27, 2018, 09:14:21 am »
It was a brilliant day yesterday. Haven't felt that proud to be Irish in a long time, if ever. To see the faces of those pro-life c*nts like McGuirk, Mullen and those Iona Institute pricks was absolute gold. Fuck the lot of them.

A great day for Ireland, especially the women who've finally had their voices heard. It's a shame it took so long.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4856 on: May 27, 2018, 10:59:29 am »
Forget the county where 5 of the 6 local TDs were on the NO side but the county still voted around 70% for the repeal. Nice to see your local politician having his finger on the public pulse.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4857 on: May 27, 2018, 02:24:43 pm »
Feel bad for Donegal. Getting so much vitriol.  I know people from there (and Tyrone who couldn't vote) that canvassed hard for Yes.  Donegal has an ageing population and for the result to run so close should be considered a victory of sorts - I was expecting it to be a runaway 'No' there. And besides, plenty of young people that have had to leave the county for work will no doubt have made up the Yes numbers in other counties.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4858 on: May 27, 2018, 10:41:16 pm »
Feel bad for Donegal. Getting so much vitriol.  I know people from there (and Tyrone who couldn't vote) that canvassed hard for Yes.  Donegal has an ageing population and for the result to run so close should be considered a victory of sorts - I was expecting it to be a runaway 'No' there. And besides, plenty of young people that have had to leave the county for work will no doubt have made up the Yes numbers in other counties.

Looking at the figures, Donegal had more people vote yes than Mary Lou's Dublin Central.  Percentages didn't get there - but when you consider less than 18 percent were against it in Donegal '83 - it's still a huge social change.   T4Yes were at pains today to emphasis how well organised they were on the gound and the work they did there. 48 - 52 is a coin flip as the brexit repealers will tell you. 

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4859 on: May 28, 2018, 01:35:39 am »
Typical that Theresa May has bowed yet again to her DUP overlords. She says abortion legislation for NI is an issue for Stormont, knowing too well that 1) Stormont isn't operational and 2) Even if a majority of Stormont MLAs voted in favour of legalising abortion, the DUP would use a petition of concern to block it.

This is spineless 'leadership' and all the more galling coming from a woman.

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #4860 on: May 29, 2018, 12:14:27 pm »

I think I'm left on every issue I have ever voted on. But people thinking this was a black and white voting case has me confused.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4861 on: May 30, 2018, 01:37:14 pm »
Typical that Theresa May has bowed yet again to her DUP overlords. She says abortion legislation for NI is an issue for Stormont, knowing too well that 1) Stormont isn't operational and 2) Even if a majority of Stormont MLAs voted in favour of legalising abortion, the DUP would use a petition of concern to block it.

This is spineless 'leadership' and all the more galling coming from a woman.
Not really quite that simple, there are "devolved" matters, "reserved" matters and "excepted" matters. the first are what they say they are, matters for which responsibility has been passed from Westminster to Stormont via the NIA. reserved are things which, for the time being, are retained by Westminster, but may be devolved at some point. Excepted are those which Westminster will always hold.

Abortion is a devolved matter, and to legislate on a devolved matter Westminster will have to play around with the NIA. That won't go well with many (not me, I'm all for it), but it isn't just as cut and dried as "May should just do it".

Even if by some miracle we did get Stormont back up, and the members at least pretending to earn their salary, the latest (failed) negotiations had a complete re-working of the Petition of Concern so that no one party had an effective veto. Foster and her crew knew that would allow marriage equality, but were content that they could save face by tabling the petition and voting against, only to be defeated by a majority vote on the floor. So the PoC thing shouldn't have the same impact if and when they are back.

Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4862 on: May 30, 2018, 03:23:05 pm »
Of course the Tories would never consider legislating on devolved matters without consent from the devolved parliament.....  ::)

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/12716/david-mundell-refuses-rule-out-uk-government-ignoring-holyrood-s-democratic

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4863 on: June 2, 2018, 01:24:43 am »

Just goes to show you the wording of the referendum can make a difference. I know a few people who are very anti-abortion, but really couldn't vote No in this.  If only Brexit asked the question differently.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4864 on: June 14, 2018, 09:35:59 am »
Heard on the radio yesterday the prices of houses have increased by 15% approx already this year. Great for homeowners who bought at the height of the boom times but here we go again as we creep to another big bubble burst.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4865 on: June 14, 2018, 09:57:44 am »
Heard on the radio yesterday the prices of houses have increased by 15% approx already this year. Great for homeowners who bought at the height of the boom times but here we go again as we creep to another big bubble burst.

Doubt it. There's nowhere near the same level of lending as last time out.

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #4866 on: June 14, 2018, 12:45:31 pm »

Where I live in Dublin most of the homeowners I know are hovering in or around negative equity still some of them might break even after paying 10+ years of mortgage it's utterly fucked here and rents are reaching a level which will move beyond most families means soon.

I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4867 on: June 15, 2018, 09:49:03 am »
Where I live in Dublin most of the homeowners I know are hovering in or around negative equity still some of them might break even after paying 10+ years of mortgage it's utterly fucked here and rents are reaching a level which will move beyond most families means soon.

I was once told buying a house was the smartest thing I could ever do...that was before the market went crazy as now there is many owners who are house poor. Basically it may be their kids who may prosper from their purchase as the parents may never see any ROI. Maybe that was the problem as the goal was always to own a house but when you see 15% increases in 6 months never mind a year investors are driving the market, pretty much flipping properties while potential long term owners are left on the sidelines unable to afford a house that was well within their price range just 2 or 3 years ago.

Doubt it. There's nowhere near the same level of lending as last time out.

I hope not as its not as if we ever repeat history.

Interesting to see the trend in Ireland as for 3 decades the prices remained within a certain price point pretty much. The average increase in house prices mirrored the increase in inflation. Then you see a huge surge of nearly 400% over ten years and by the time the market imploded certain experts around 2010 were saying the current average price of 200K for a house was a true reflection of the property value. We have seen prices surge again by 50% since 2013/14 so while I am no expert the signs may be there for another wee pop in the market. When we cant control the rental market then what chance do we have in an investment that is giving developers huge returns. Greed gets the best of us I fear.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:50:45 am by fowlermagic »

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #4868 on: June 15, 2018, 04:24:36 pm »
I was once told buying a house was the smartest thing I could ever do...that was before the market went crazy as now there is many owners who are house poor. Basically it may be their kids who may prosper from their purchase as the parents may never see any ROI. Maybe that was the problem as the goal was always to own a house but when you see 15% increases in 6 months never mind a year investors are driving the market, pretty much flipping properties while potential long term owners are left on the sidelines unable to afford a house that was well within their price range just 2 or 3 years ago.

I hope not as its not as if we ever repeat history.

The part I struggle to understand is how someone can pay off a loan for 10 + years and the poxy thing never goes down.

I was not living here during the boom so I cannot speak to what kind of mortgages people were taking but we had the same thing back in Iceland where people just never made a dent in the loan they took out to buy the property.

What I've been told is that there are some very well connected special interests (ie landlords) who more or less are shaping the housing policy here and I fear if that is the case things will never change.
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4869 on: June 15, 2018, 07:07:38 pm »
The part I struggle to understand is how someone can pay off a loan for 10 + years and the poxy thing never goes down.

I was not living here during the boom so I cannot speak to what kind of mortgages people were taking but we had the same thing back in Iceland where people just never made a dent in the loan they took out to buy the property.

What I've been told is that there are some very well connected special interests (ie landlords) who more or less are shaping the housing policy here and I fear if that is the case things will never change.

I really dont know about the connected special interests as thought the brown envelope brigade was done away with  :butt but I pretty much missed the Celtic Tiger years as well so was always taken back by how the prices kept going through the roof every time I visited home. My friends seem to be very accepting of it as I often heard "the price to get a house is whatever the price is right now". My own village saw 4 bed houses going for 600K around 2007 (without a garage even) and at the time that was close to 800K US dollars. I wouldnt be far off saying 400k - 500K was the average price for a detached 4 bed at the time and when you think the gross household income was 60k maybe, people were getting mortgages x 6 / 8 times their income. That was surely a formula for an implosion and right now I think the household incomes are still around 60k so the mortgage ratios must be lumbering to x 5 / 6 times x average wage.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4870 on: July 21, 2018, 06:41:43 pm »
POLL: STimes/B&A
(July 5-17, MoE ±3.3%)

FG 34 (+3 in 5 weeks)
FF 21 (-3)
SF 22 (-2)
Labour 3 (-1)
Inds/others 10 (+1)
Ind All 4 (+1)
Greens 2
Sol/PBP 1 (-1)
SD 1
Renua 0

Come in Micheal your time is up and Labour at 3% fucking hell.
Y.N.W.A.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #4871 on: July 22, 2018, 12:59:56 pm »
POLL: STimes/B&A
(July 5-17, MoE ±3.3%)

FG 34 (+3 in 5 weeks)
FF 21 (-3)
SF 22 (-2)
Labour 3 (-1)
Inds/others 10 (+1)
Ind All 4 (+1)
Greens 2
Sol/PBP 1 (-1)
SD 1
Renua 0

Come in Micheal your time is up and Labour at 3% fucking hell.

Extraordinary that the main government party has such a big lead at this stage in the lifetime of the Dail. Only one thing has moved the polls to any extent in the last couple of years - Varadkar taking over FG. They are very lucky to have him.

The fragmentation in the smaller parties, and the still high % for independents, is quite depressing though. Seriously, what is the point of SD and Renua?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4872 on: July 22, 2018, 04:31:02 pm »
The smaller parties like SD, Renua, PPP/AAA will take a beating in the next Generals. Indos may too. SF will gain, FF will hold and FG will increase a little going by this. FF have to ditch Martin and now.

FG/SF coalition, could it be?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4873 on: July 22, 2018, 10:26:07 pm »
Hahahaha, very good.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4874 on: July 23, 2018, 09:29:34 pm »
Hahahaha, very good.

No you think not?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4875 on: July 24, 2018, 04:56:23 pm »
No you think not?

From what I know of FG supporters, they would rather drink lukewarm Chardonnay than get in bed with the terrorists.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4876 on: July 24, 2018, 08:11:34 pm »
What has Mary Lou McDonald got to do with terrorism?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4877 on: July 24, 2018, 11:10:33 pm »
From what I know of FG supporters, they would rather drink lukewarm Chardonnay than get in bed with the terrorists.
Is that you, Willie Frazer?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4878 on: July 31, 2018, 12:43:57 am »
Is that you, Willie Frazer?

;D

What has Mary Lou McDonald got to do with terrorism?

Exactly but some are happy to live in the past. Its a feel good factor for them.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4879 on: August 12, 2018, 07:12:08 pm »
Renua aye!!

:o

Y.N.W.A.