21 (6.5%)
Labour
70 (21.8%)
GP
11 (3.4%)
Ind/Others
77 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 321

Author Topic: The Irish Politics Thread.  (Read 460182 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Re: The Irish Politics Thread.
« Reply #4680 on: November 18, 2017, 08:56:58 pm »
Gerry Adams will stand down in 2018 as Leader of Sinn Féin and will not contest the next General Election.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4681 on: November 19, 2017, 11:29:01 am »
Gerry Adams will stand down in 2018 as Leader of Sinn Féin and will not contest the next General Election.

A special Ard Fheis will be announce next year for a Party get together to Elect the new boss.

Its Mary Lou isin't it?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4682 on: November 19, 2017, 03:10:20 pm »
A number of hospitals across the country are expected to stop providing trauma care.

Proposed new measures would see local trauma units responsible for treating less serious injuries and two new designated units for major trauma patients.The move is part of new plans to cut down on overcrowding. The report recommends a new centralisation strategy which would create two major trauma units.

The units will be based in Dublin and Cork. The measures would mean patients who have been in car crashes or had serious injuries, broken limbs and major wounds will be no longer be treated at some hospitals.

The Sunday Business Post reports that three Dublin hospitals and a number of regional hospitals including Cavan, Naas and Portlaoise will stop taking trauma patients.This new move by Health Minister Simon Harris aims to reduce the numbers in our emergency departments.
A proposal will be brought over the coming weeks.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4683 on: November 19, 2017, 07:33:58 pm »
So Al Porter is in the shitter.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4684 on: November 19, 2017, 08:13:09 pm »
So Al Porter is in the shitter.

Poor effort.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4685 on: November 19, 2017, 08:13:59 pm »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4686 on: November 19, 2017, 09:59:58 pm »
http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/rte-producer-charged-attempting-engage-13924768

RTE producer charged with 'attempting to engage or incite sexual activity with a girl under 16'

The 54-year-old was charged with encouraging a girl aged between 13 and 16 to engage in sexual activity. An RTE producer is set to appear in court tomorrow morning charged with attempting to engage or incite sexual activity with a girl under 16.

It's understood the national broadcaster employee, Kieran Creaven arrived in Leeds yesterday and was confronted by a group who had created an online profile for a 13-year-old girl. The police were called to the scene where the 54-year-old was confronted and he was taken into custody.

At 5pm this evening the man was charged with encouraging a girl aged between 13 and 16 to engage in sexual activity.

Creaven will appear before the courts tomorrow morning in Leeds where he will be formally charged.

In a statement, RTE said: "RTE has been made aware of this matter which is being dealt with by Yorkshire police forces in the UK and no further comment will be made at this time."

Police in Yorkshire investigating the incident said: "Police were called yesterday Saturday 18 November to reports of a man attempting to engage or incite sexual activity with a child in Leeds.

"Now police have charged Kieran Creaven, aged 54, with attempting to engage or incite sexual activity with a girl under 16.

"He will appear at Leeds Magistrates Court tomorrow (20 November) and remains in police custody at this time."
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4687 on: November 26, 2017, 01:04:44 pm »
They can fuck off with a Christmas Election.
Y.N.W.A.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4688 on: November 28, 2017, 09:10:21 am »
What the fuck is Varadkar up to if he doesn't sack/force Fitzgerald to resign?  He must actually want a Christmas election.  Gobshite.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4689 on: November 28, 2017, 12:01:40 pm »
 The Irish Times‏Verified account @IrishTimes
4m4 minutes ago

Embattled Tánaiste will step down amid email revelations, averting a pre-Christmas election
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4690 on: November 28, 2017, 12:15:15 pm »
Thank fuck.

I'd vote for the Monster Raving Loony party if they just promised never to have elections in December.

We'll have an election before Easter anyway, but at least we can take part in the Brexit summit talks without having a caretaker govt.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4691 on: November 28, 2017, 12:17:02 pm »
We'll have an election before Easter anyway, but at least we can take part in the Brexit summit talks without having a caretaker govt.

I don't think it would matter. We're dealing with the equivalent of people who have smeared shit all over themselves and now want to talk about it.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4692 on: November 28, 2017, 12:19:46 pm »
I don't think it would matter. We're dealing with the equivalent of people who have smeared shit all over themselves and now want to talk about it.

'Excuse me, I've done a dirty protest in every room in my house. When are you going to pay for my dry cleaning bill?'.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #4693 on: November 28, 2017, 12:26:00 pm »
Good decision.

Pretty reckless of FF to push it this far. I imagine relations between the two parties will be pretty tense from now on. Makes you wonder how they're going to cope with the post-election arithmetic again.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #4694 on: November 28, 2017, 04:58:11 pm »
Good decision.

Pretty reckless of FF to push it this far. I imagine relations between the two parties will be pretty tense from now on. Makes you wonder how they're going to cope with the post-election arithmetic again.

I reckon the reason FF pushed it to the hilt is because Micheal Martin is still quietly and desperately clinging to the hope that the public will finally forgive FF for the damage their previous leaders inflicted on the country and elect him as Taoiseach.

Varadkar continuing to defend Fitzgerald was a bad move IMO. Only gives the opposition more ammo to score political points and sway public opinion against them. Martin will do all he can to make the most of this (albeit slim) opportunity.

The thought of FF back in power is too disheartening to even contemplate for me
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4695 on: November 30, 2017, 02:49:04 pm »
Came across this on Twitter - beautiful video. Love the words spoken by the judge in the background, such a stark difference from the general atmosphere you get in this country (UK).

https://twitter.com/JOEdotie/status/936240483973640192

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4696 on: December 1, 2017, 10:29:39 pm »
Good decision.

GE18 is inevitable you would feel
Y.N.W.A.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4697 on: December 2, 2017, 12:43:11 am »
@FionaKenny1
Yep, that's right Brexiters. A nation of people tweeting about angel pillows, a child milking a toy cow & a man dressed as a lobster - with none of their kids in bed come midnight, holds the key to your EU negotiations.  😂#LateLatetoyShow

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4698 on: December 2, 2017, 01:43:17 am »
@FionaKenny1
Yep, that's right Brexiters. A nation of people tweeting about angel pillows, a child milking a toy cow & a man dressed as a lobster - with none of their kids in bed come midnight, holds the key to your EU negotiations.  😂#LateLatetoyShow

Well the Brits are talking about what kind of dress your wan Markle will wear when she marries the Parasite Harry, so snap.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4699 on: December 7, 2017, 12:15:56 pm »
Who'd have thought sticking it to some hard right Tories would be good politics?  :P

11 point lead now for FG/Varadkar.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-support-surges-on-back-of-brexit-row-1.3318116

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4700 on: December 7, 2017, 08:50:33 pm »
It's beyond me how anyone can even tell the difference between FG and FF any more.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4701 on: December 7, 2017, 10:11:17 pm »
It's beyond me how anyone can even tell the difference between FG and FF any more.

True, FF missed the bounce on this, win win for SF whatever happens.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4702 on: January 18, 2018, 03:48:27 pm »
Was reading an article in the Examiner yesterday which made a few interesting points.

The vast majority of individual workers in the country could not afford the mortgage of a 1 bed apartment and would fail to meet the bank lending requirements if they even applied. The same individual has seen his wages increase by 8% over the past 5 years. Compare that to the average rent increase of 60% and home prices of 40%. Basically the average worker's rent costs are at least 50% of his take home pay which has led to over 460,000 adults still living at home, twice as many back in 2006. First time buyers now are approx 35 years of age v 28 years back 10 years ago.

And we are suppose to be in the middle of an economy boom....for some perhaps but not for you and me the average Joe.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4703 on: January 26, 2018, 09:53:50 am »
Was reading an article in the Examiner yesterday which made a few interesting points.

The vast majority of individual workers in the country could not afford the mortgage of a 1 bed apartment and would fail to meet the bank lending requirements if they even applied. The same individual has seen his wages increase by 8% over the past 5 years. Compare that to the average rent increase of 60% and home prices of 40%. Basically the average worker's rent costs are at least 50% of his take home pay which has led to over 460,000 adults still living at home, twice as many back in 2006. First time buyers now are approx 35 years of age v 28 years back 10 years ago.

And we are suppose to be in the middle of an economy boom....for some perhaps but not for you and me the average Joe.

I can understand the banks being hard on the requirements for taking out loans. The last thing you need is people taking out 100%+ loans (and then refinancing for new cars, TVs, annual trips to Majorca).

Excessive rental increases should be able to be managed through some sort of government tenant body (we have them in Australia).

Rapidly increasing property prices unfortunately are very hard to manage without new developments.

I'm not sure of the level of investment property ownership is in Ireland, but the government could look at some innovate ways of taxing those who do own them. We have capital gains tax (CGT) whereby there's a tax on the profit of any investment property sold by owner. Maybe the government could have a reduced tax on the sale on homes that have a rental that is less than the market rate.

I don't know whether the 'vacant' property tax was boosted or implemented but it always frustrates me when I'm in Dublin to see so much derelict or empty buildings in the centre of town. This would be unheard of in many global capitals.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4704 on: January 26, 2018, 08:29:46 pm »
That fucking tramp Michael Horan from Clondalkin got 7.5 years today, hope he fucking rots in hell the Pedo c*nt. Also another c*nt caught in McNasty's, Navan last night.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4705 on: January 29, 2018, 10:54:48 am »
I can understand the banks being hard on the requirements for taking out loans. The last thing you need is people taking out 100%+ loans (and then refinancing for new cars, TVs, annual trips to Majorca).

Excessive rental increases should be able to be managed through some sort of government tenant body (we have them in Australia).

Rapidly increasing property prices unfortunately are very hard to manage without new developments.

I'm not sure of the level of investment property ownership is in Ireland, but the government could look at some innovate ways of taxing those who do own them. We have capital gains tax (CGT) whereby there's a tax on the profit of any investment property sold by owner. Maybe the government could have a reduced tax on the sale on homes that have a rental that is less than the market rate.

I don't know whether the 'vacant' property tax was boosted or implemented but it always frustrates me when I'm in Dublin to see so much derelict or empty buildings in the centre of town. This would be unheard of in many global capitals.

The  bank / loan shambles we had back in the Celtic Tiger days should not penalise the next generation and I believe the country is trying to introduce a 90% loan system, which means first time buyers can get onto the property ladder. Just needs some common sense to be added to the mix. There is still a massive shortage in terms of houses on the market, which means most properties have buyers lining up for the keys and overbidding / driving up the prices. Developers are laughing to the bank.

Rental control is a good thing especially in Dublin, Cork etc as there is a massive influx of workers coming into the city and limited housing. The need for more apartments is the way to go but even that will take time. Just saw an ad for THE deluxe apartment in Cork, a 3 bed going for 625k. That would make it the second most expensive apartment in the city but you can see where that market will go for other options.....higher and higher. The agent said its a good deal for investors as you can rent it out for 2500k a month so that also is troubling. Those that have will be gobbling up available houses/apts and renting them to those who should be buying but cant compete with the investors. Heard London properties are getting snapped up by the Chinese &  Middle East so can see some of the same happening here. 2500k a month rent seems like a poor return as well....less than 5% so even investors would be slow to invest....then again rents are going up by 10% a year so maybe not a bad deal at all in a few years time.

Seeing all the idle land & buildings around the country actually owned by the government is scandalous as surely they could have done something with them during the lean 10 years. All the ghost estates that just needed fitting out, probably requiring minimum investment plus keep some of the unemployed off the dole who were crying out for a paint brush or hammer. Instead I think many of the houses were virtually demolished or eventually fell back into the hands of bailed our developers. It would be funny if it was not at our expense.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:37:18 pm by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #4706 on: January 29, 2018, 11:25:27 am »
First thing I'd do to help is provide a jail term for anyone using the term "property ladder" as it might be the most ridiculous and stupid thing ever invented by the Irish.

Then I'd build 10 story blocks in town and stop the moronic sprawl.

Last thing I'd ever do is try help more sub-prime excessive borrowing.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4707 on: January 29, 2018, 04:04:54 pm »
First thing I'd do to help is provide a jail term for anyone using the term "property ladder" as it might be the most ridiculous and stupid thing ever invented by the Irish.

Then I'd build 10 story blocks in town and stop the moronic sprawl.

Last thing I'd ever do is try help more sub-prime excessive borrowing.

There are around 50k unoccupied homes in Dublin and any number of derelict buildings that could be easily converted into accommodation.  Across Ireland, the 2016 census showed 183k unoccupied homes in in-demand areas.

Repairing and refurbishing existing properties could provide a lot of homes.  I'm not a fan of throwing up tower blocks everywhere.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4708 on: January 29, 2018, 09:59:46 pm »
May Referendum on the 8th Article 43.3.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4709 on: January 30, 2018, 11:16:24 am »
Always interested to hear 60 year old men and the Catholic Church's opinion on the whole thing.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #4710 on: January 30, 2018, 12:21:00 pm »
There are around 50k unoccupied homes in Dublin and any number of derelict buildings that could be easily converted into accommodation.  Across Ireland, the 2016 census showed 183k unoccupied homes in in-demand areas.

Repairing and refurbishing existing properties could provide a lot of homes.  I'm not a fan of throwing up tower blocks everywhere.

50k unoccupied homes in Dublin? CSO said 30k, and that has since been revised down to eh maybe a thousand!?!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/number-of-vacant-homes-in-dublin-said-to-be-between-900-and-1-000-1.3368771

Even at 30k that would only be one-years supply, not really going to do much for long-term.

Not the panacea we might like. Build upwards ffs. No reason the IFSC apartment blocks couldn't have had a few more stories for example.

Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4711 on: January 30, 2018, 01:59:16 pm »
The government should step up and take charge of the issue as just look at the great results from the Repair and Lease scheme. They promised 800 homes in a 12 month period and got less than 20. Please take a bow the Dept of Housing.

I have no problem with apartments as every major city has blocks of them everywhere. We need to reach the conclusion that buying a house may be a pipe dream for many at this stage and there is nothing wrong with renting as long as there is decent value in it. I was once told you could do very little wrong in buying a house...I would not pass along that same advise as quick these days.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4712 on: February 7, 2018, 12:24:02 pm »
@DMcCaffreySKY
NEW: Booming Ireland - EU raises Ireland's GDP growth rate projection to 7.3% for 2017 - YES 7.3% from 4.8%.
And raises 2018 outlook to 4.4% from 3.9%.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4713 on: February 12, 2018, 06:33:03 pm »
@DMcCaffreySKY
NEW: Booming Ireland - EU raises Ireland's GDP growth rate projection to 7.3% for 2017 - YES 7.3% from 4.8%.

Yet we still have a massive housing crisis. What is the use of growth at this rate if we cannot look after the most vulnerable in our society?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4714 on: February 13, 2018, 12:04:24 am »
Yet we still have a massive housing crisis. What is the use of growth at this rate if we cannot look after the most vulnerable in our society?

I believe some of the vulnerable at this stage is quite a portion of the middle class even as with 10% of mortgage holders in arrears what will happen if the banks eventually raise their rates? More pressure on home owners I guess and many of those now are finding themselves remortgaging homes so they can pay for their children's education.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4715 on: February 13, 2018, 12:16:00 am »
Who’s paying for children’s education now?

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #4716 on: February 13, 2018, 10:02:23 am »
@DMcCaffreySKY

I wonder how much of this has to do with paying off the IMF early.

Rents nationwide up 10% on last year again according to Daft. Doesn't really matter what the projections are if prices outstrip them.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #4717 on: February 13, 2018, 10:13:58 am »
I wonder how much of this has to do with paying off the IMF early.

Rents nationwide up 10% on last year again according to Daft. Doesn't really matter what the projections are if prices outstrip them.
The rental market is a complicated beast, with limited supply due to lack of regulations controlling airbnb and also short term letting companies.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #4718 on: February 13, 2018, 10:16:11 am »
@DMcCaffreySKY

I wonder how this growth rate compares to our GDP, the national Debt & interest on debt.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4719 on: February 13, 2018, 01:33:09 pm »
I wonder how this growth rate compares to our GDP, the national Debt & interest on debt.

I still believe those are also improving as the national debt has dropped from an all time high 5 years ago but our debt per capita is still in the top 3 of the world after Japan and USA. I fear what might happen if the interest rates start to increase.