Author Topic: Photo enhancing software  (Read 2959 times)

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
Photo enhancing software
« on: September 2, 2009, 07:35:21 pm »
Besides Photoshop, it obviously covers a lot of stuff (The RAW editor is especially handy) but sometimes I find it struggles when making HDR images, panorama's etc.

I use Photomatix to make HDR's, it's a fantastic programme.

Anybody recommend the best programme to produce panorama's? As I said, I've tried the one that Photoshop offers, but I feel there must be better choices out there to do the job.

I was going to put this in the Digital SLR thread but I think it deserves a thread of it's own as I know there's a lot of photographers on RAWK.

Thanks  :wave
« Last Edit: September 2, 2009, 07:37:58 pm by alex. »

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Photo enhancing software
« Reply #1 on: September 2, 2009, 07:40:25 pm »
Eh? Potatoshop does a fantastic job of panoramas.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 2, 2009, 08:03:30 pm »
i want something that can turn fuzzy low res pics into super hi res 3d images that i can rotate and look at a persons face even though i only have a shot of the back of their head and blurry reflection

like in the movies
STFU and agree with me.

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 2, 2009, 08:13:41 pm »
i want something that can turn fuzzy low res pics into super hi res 3d images that i can rotate and look at a persons face even though i only have a shot of the back of their head and blurry reflection

like in the movies
I'm sure photoshop has a plugin for that

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 2, 2009, 08:25:01 pm »

like in the movies

I can put you in contact with this Indian electronics shop owner in the immigrant district who could arrange that for you for very low price bargain.  He might only have one left so don't linger.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #5 on: September 2, 2009, 08:31:20 pm »

like in the movies

you need a mac
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline dimitri

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: September 2, 2009, 08:42:13 pm »
google kekus

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 2, 2009, 09:52:36 pm »
get an iphone, they can photo stitch and do panoramas

shame the camera is shite mind :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 2, 2009, 11:04:20 pm »
Autodesk/Realviz Stitcher is the best, but it's one-million dollars.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 2, 2009, 11:07:15 pm »
i can buy it for 400 euro, i reckon i could make a killing
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #10 on: September 2, 2009, 11:14:33 pm »
I've used Autostitch for this kind of thing.

Example panorama I've done with it:

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 08:33:25 am »
Am a linux user and am having trouble using ufraw with my LX 3.....it's the only non-proprietary software I can use with this fabulous camera to process RAW photos, and I really want to have the the option of using RAW in terms of post-processing, especially in fully bringing out the dynamic range the LX 3 has.

Bibble is the other option, but the LX 3 will only work with Bibble 5, which won't be out for a while yet and costs a decent whack of wedge just for a RAW processor.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 08:56:04 am »
you deserve everything you get for using Linux, make your life easier and install windows
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 03:55:22 pm »
you deserve everything you get for using Linux, make your life easier and install windows

If I hadn't of read some of your previous posts I would have taken the bait, hook, line and sinker.  ;)

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 07:10:15 pm »
Yeah, Smiff talks a load of shite. What you actually want to get is a Mac.

Seriously, he's right though. Getting Linux to work with state-of-the-art peripherals is a nightmare (which is why I sacked it off years ago).

My suggestion, if your computer supports it, would be to use the Windows software in VirtualBox, unless you can find some software that can convert to a different RAW format.

It's usually the simplest and often the cheapest solution, as you often have to pay for third-party Linux drivers.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 11:15:04 am »

Yeah, Smiff talks a load of shite. What you actually want to get is a Mac.

Seriously, he's right though. Getting Linux to work with state-of-the-art peripherals is a nightmare (which is why I sacked it off years ago).

My suggestion, if your computer supports it, would be to use the Windows software in VirtualBox, unless you can find some software that can convert to a different RAW format.

It's usually the simplest and often the cheapest solution, as you often have to pay for third-party Linux drivers.

Yeah, got ufraw working eventually - it had something to do with the way I was downloading the images from the camera. The issue with using RAW in linux is that you have to wait until the raw 'code' is cracked by whatever boffin is about the place - once it is supported you are in clover, unless you have an issue lilke I had which really just came down to my own inexperience. In other words ufraw supports the RAW files produced from my LX 3, but there was another issue I had to work around to get it up and running.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 11:44:53 am »
Good stuff.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 12:35:35 pm »
Good stuff.

Appreciated your earlier post - I had a check see and apparently trying to use Windows software in Linux in terms of RAW processing is quite slow. I'm lucky ufraw is around as no other linux raw editors/processors support the LX 3. I'd have to shoot in jpeg, which I don't want to do as in low light (ISO 400 and aove) there is quite a lot of noise with the LX 3 and you won't be able to deal with it if its in the jpeg format. Don't get me wrong, the LX 3 is the absolute best compact camera around at the moment (I'm discouting the Canon G series as they are not true compacts in my opinion, and the LX 3 probably bests them anyway. The Canon S90 is the latest 'pocket cam' pretender to the crown, but falls down in several regards), but it is still a compact. Thankfully, even when noise enters the picture, the LX 3 still keeps basically all of the detail so the noise can be dealt with by post-processing. Ufraw and Noise Ninja are God-sends.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 08:31:08 pm »
Will make a note of ufraw for future reference. In a way you're lucky that you have a shit-hot camera. I doubt RAW support for a lesser, equally-new camera would have been sorted so fast.

Man, I'm happy I use OS X now not Linux. Too much hassle. I always figured I'd go back to Linux after a couple of years, but it just doesn't seem to really be going anywhere fast.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
Best photo editing software for PC
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 06:13:28 pm »
Hi everybody,

As you all probably already know Mrs Something else is a bit of a photo lover. Now she has some kind of corel software for photo editing but would really like a good one which is easier to use and can do more.

She generally wants to make small alterations to photos, or change to all grey bar one thing which is a certain colour.

Plus im sure there is lots of other editing stuff she would like to use, if only she knew what it was.

All i ask from you kind souls is the best one for her that has a decent learning curve with it built in so she can start to work on it and not be completely confused.

cheers

SE

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Best photo editing software for PC
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 06:14:53 pm »
Photoshop is the best.
choose Life.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 06:17:53 pm »
Is it something she will be able to pick up and use without too much problem?

ie is the layout decent?

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 06:25:07 pm »
For basic stuff I would off thought so, then when doing layers etc there are hundreds of tutorials about.
choose Life.

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »
Is it something she will be able to pick up and use without too much problem?

ie is the layout decent?

Yeah would you like photoshop SE? For Mac or PC. Just put in your request ;-)

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 10:15:28 pm »
Definitely Photoshop, not as steep a learning curve as you may think and there are millions of tutoirals everywhere on the internet so if you need help, Googe is your friend. I myself will be sticking to paint as it's clearly the best.
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 03:17:09 am »
Photoshop is the most powerful but is complex and expensive.
Photoshop Elements is a cut-down, cheaper version and ideal for beginners.
Another good shout is Paintshop Pro. It has a decent cloning tool (good for editing out things you don't want in the shot) and a number of wizards that will automatically adjust colour balance, brightness, contrast, etc.
They all have options for the most common photo correction - removal of red eyes.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 03:24:52 am »
Gimp or Photoshop.  Gimp is free and open source.  Photoshop... well, screw the price, torrent that shit, lol

Offline TheoRacle

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC Supporter
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 05:39:54 am »
Photoshop.  Absoultely amazing bit of software.

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 06:18:38 am »
PM sent mate. ;-) Hope it helps with the Mrs.

Good Luck. Any problems, drop me a PM.

Rich.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 02:01:25 pm »
Depends what you want to do.

If its just for tweaking your own photos, i would use picasa.

Its free, is excellent at organising your pics and is quite good at tweaking the colour etc.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 02:02:31 pm »
Have a look at Paint.Net

Not sure what you want to do to photos but it might do what she wants.

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 02:11:01 pm »
I bought photoshop CS3 and Lindas photoshop training helped a lot. There are endless possibilities in photoshop and several different ways to do everything, so some sort of training is almost necessary.

Also, if looking at free software, gimp is fantastic

The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 5, 2017, 10:46:58 pm »
Has anybody got the skills to identify the fleet number on the door of the bin wagon in the background :)

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #33 on: May 6, 2017, 08:43:27 pm »
Has anybody got the skills to identify the fleet number on the door of the bin wagon in the background :)

That's quite hard to do really... as it enlarges it pixelate's..
It's outside 'Regent Hotel' Mount Pleasant (now a William Hill bookies)... i think
contact refuge collectionat town hall.. (email with picture) & see if it's possible to find out that route number for the year ?
you never know...  :wave
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 9, 2017, 10:59:34 pm »
Thanks mate. Nobody in the council will know :)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
Photo management software
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 10:19:23 am »
Can anyone recommend a good piece of software for photo management on windows? I have thousands of family photos digitally but a lot of them have the same filename so can't live in the same folder. Makes it difficult to browse through them.

Basically I need something that can read the "date taken" info from the file and sort them by that perhaps? Or something that can rename the files to the date and time they were taken.

I know there's google photos but I want to avoid hosting them online and having to pay a monthly subscription.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Photo management software
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 10:38:54 am »
Can anyone recommend a good piece of software for photo management on windows? I have thousands of family photos digitally but a lot of them have the same filename so can't live in the same folder. Makes it difficult to browse through them.

Basically I need something that can read the "date taken" info from the file and sort them by that perhaps? Or something that can rename the files to the date and time they were taken.

I know there's google photos but I want to avoid hosting them online and having to pay a monthly subscription.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

FYI, Google Photos allows free unlimited storage of all photos up to 16MP resolution. Anything above this and the resolution will be downscaled to the 16MP limit.

If you're after an 'offline' solution, have a look at some of these options:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/picasa-going-what-use-instead/

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 11:11:58 am »
FYI, Google Photos allows free unlimited storage of all photos up to 16MP resolution. Anything above this and the resolution will be downscaled to the 16MP limit.

If you're after an 'offline' solution, have a look at some of these options:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/picasa-going-what-use-instead/
Didnt realise that. I did get a prompt saying that photos would be compressed on upload. May give it a go!

Thanks for the response

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 11:16:17 am »
Jasc Media Center Plus. If you can find it still somewhere. Supports batch renaming, sub folder scanning, etc.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.