Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5718419 times)

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #46120 on: August 11, 2017, 11:02:26 pm »
What a comeback , magnificent.
Lacazette was superb, he will score bucket loads for us. 
Huge 3 points against a team that are horrible to play against.

7 minutes turned the weekend, instead of watching golf I want more football!!
Best come back since Lacazetterous?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46121 on: August 11, 2017, 11:12:39 pm »
Best come back since Lacazetterous?

Not sure it works, but I like the intentions :)

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46122 on: August 11, 2017, 11:32:04 pm »
Very impressed with the new duo... The rest looked same old Arsenal.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #46123 on: August 11, 2017, 11:40:05 pm »
Very impressed with the new duo... The rest looked same old Arsenal.

to be honest even the performance smacked of the same old Arsenal. Just when you're about to laugh at them and think they're down and out, they find a way in the end. They'll probably have a terrible first half of the season before going on a run and finishing strong and just getting 4th, whilst winning the Europa League or FA Cup yet again with Wenger retiring into the sunset and finally getting his statue outside the Emirates.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #46124 on: August 11, 2017, 11:50:33 pm »
There is the potential for title winners in this squad. They looked dismal defensively but if Kosc and Mustafi click they will have an excellent side with the best front three in the league if Sanchez comes back and Lacazette continues to look as good as he did tonight.

I realise I've used "if" about 800 times there and that's probably why it won't happen, but Arsenal could win the league with this XI if they just for once kicked their usual annual collapse and injury crisis.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46125 on: August 11, 2017, 11:50:57 pm »
They have spirit and spirit overcomes a lot of deficiencies

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #46126 on: August 12, 2017, 12:03:22 am »
There is the potential for title winners in this squad. They looked dismal defensively but if Kosc and Mustafi click they will have an excellent side with the best front three in the league if Sanchez comes back and Lacazette continues to look as good as he did tonight.

I realise I've used "if" about 800 times there and that's probably why it won't happen, but Arsenal could win the league with this XI if they just for once kicked their usual annual collapse and injury crisis.

No chance, they will struggle for top 4.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46127 on: August 12, 2017, 12:21:01 am »
how bad was maguire for the last 2 goals. the big fanny

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46128 on: August 12, 2017, 12:23:39 am »
The defence was a shambles but just like the opening game last season, it will improve when Koscielny and Mustafi are fit. It's tough to look solid with 4 central defenders out.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46129 on: August 12, 2017, 12:36:16 am »
I don't know about the league but they should be favourites for the Europa, even with Lyon, Villareal and the new look Milan in there.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #46130 on: August 12, 2017, 09:47:20 am »

Lacazette was superb. 

This is superb.     :lmao

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/osESj5W2K6M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/osESj5W2K6M</a>

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46131 on: August 12, 2017, 09:55:30 am »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/osESj5W2K6M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/osESj5W2K6M</a>

I wish I didnt watch that...

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46132 on: August 12, 2017, 10:51:01 am »

Haha that's great  ;D

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46133 on: August 12, 2017, 12:01:22 pm »
Kolasinac looked good yesterday
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46134 on: August 12, 2017, 12:10:13 pm »
For the criticism Giroud gets, he's definitely one of the better 2nd/3rd choice strikers in the PL

He is a very good striker

Very entertaining game with two teams failing to defend and attacking well, won by use of the bench. Wenger brought on Ramsey who began creating havoc and switched formation so Shakespere brought on Amatery which nullified things. We were on top but struggled to break through so Shakespeare take off a midfielder for a striker and suddenly space opened up, Ramsey and Giroud both scoring from bench.

Lot to like going forward for Arsenal, Welbeck and Oxlade caused a lot of trouble down the left, Ramsey created a lot of problems with his late when he came on, we looked dangerous when we crossed the ball in or had central midfielders clipping ball in. Lacazette looked dangerous in the box and did well when moved to left, was times where he seemed surprised by the muscle in the Prem and got knocked off ball a bit too easily. Credit to Wenger for being willing to change the system, it is nice having plans b's!

Our problems were obviously defensive, some due to rust, some due to selection (we could have used Gabriel and Chambers so no need to go for two left-wing backs at heart of defence) and some more concerning. A lot of sloppy passes putting us back under pressure, Bellerin and Ozil were awful at shutting down their flank once we were 1-0 up and Leicester's equalizer came from third dangerous cross, our backline and keeper did not handle the crosses well (Cech improved on that in second half), fell asleep at corners.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46135 on: August 12, 2017, 01:08:12 pm »
All this said, and I understand we have 4 first choice CBs out, so did well to pull it out of the bag yesterday - for much of the match there was a gaping hole in the middle of midfield for a ball winning metronome, someone like Verratti who can really feed the players in front.  We are talking about barely being able to get the better of Leicester second choice midfield.  Without that I can't see us getting the results we want this season, the games devolve to an end-to-end goal fest, which is great for neutrals but not for winning trophies.  Amazing game to start the season off with mind you!

Also Hector needs to get his head down in training, been shite for months, dribbling and crossing is atrocious, seems out of position a lot, were I Liverpool in game 3 I'd put Mane on that wing for a lot of joy.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46136 on: August 12, 2017, 01:15:40 pm »
All this said, and I understand we have 4 first choice CBs out, so did well to pull it out of the bag yesterday - for much of the match there was a gaping hole in the middle of midfield for a ball winning metronome, someone like Verratti who can really feed the players in front.  We are talking about barely being able to get the better of Leicester second choice midfield.  Without that I can't see us getting the results we want this season, the games devolve to an end-to-end goal fest, which is great for neutrals but not for winning trophies.  Amazing game to start the season off with mind you!

Also Hector needs to get his head down in training, been shite for months, dribbling and crossing is atrocious, seems out of position a lot, were I Liverpool in game 3 I'd put Mane on that wing for a lot of joy.

I don't think Bellerin enjoys the wing back role, he actually looked a better left back than a right wing back when we changed formation. At the moment our wing backs should be Kolasinac and Ox with bellerin on the bench.
On the midfield, starting Xhaka and El neny against a team that sits deep was never going to work, the game changed when Ramsey came on, his runs destroyed Leicester 's shape and without their defensive shape they can't play the counter attacking game they do so well. We don't have much beyond Xhaka and Ramsey, that is a worry.
The biggest positive was the depth going forward.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46137 on: August 12, 2017, 01:23:03 pm »
I don't think Bellerin enjoys the wing back role, he actually looked a better left back than a right wing back when we changed formation. At the moment our wing backs should be Kolasinac and Ox with bellerin on the bench.
On the midfield, starting Xhaka and El neny against a team that sits deep was never going to work, the game changed when Ramsey came on, his runs destroyed Leicester 's shape and without their defensive shape they can't play the counter attacking game they do so well. We don't have much beyond Xhaka and Ramsey, that is a worry.

Agree, everyone focused on Giroud, but to me it was Ramsey who livened the game up and let the attackers use the space.  100% Bellerin needs to sit the bench, the Ox isn't any worse defensively but light years ahead going forward.

Kola, from pre-season and yesterday's game, looks very impressive indeed - really shows me Gibbs has no future at the club since he seems to now be 4th choice LB.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46138 on: August 12, 2017, 02:47:37 pm »
Let's not let the result overshadow just how dreadful arsenal were tonight.

I mean, really bad.  Leicester really should have put them to the sword more thoroughly.

That's possibly he worst defence I've seen in years in a top 10 side, and I've watched sides with Martin Skrtel in them.
Lacazette certainly didn't impress me hugely, but f have to see him in different types of game before I completely dismiss him.  Thus got damn lucky tonight.. It won't continue unless they improve massively.

::)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46139 on: August 12, 2017, 03:42:17 pm »
You would be mad to sell Giroud. He shouldn't be first choice, but he is as vital player off the bench, the amount of goal he scores in crucial moments is something. Probably the best header of the ball I've seen in a centerforward in a while

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46140 on: August 12, 2017, 04:06:27 pm »
TUrning into a nice weekend this!

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46141 on: August 12, 2017, 04:23:57 pm »
TUrning into a nice weekend this!

Don't rub it in.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46142 on: August 12, 2017, 05:12:59 pm »
You would be mad to sell Giroud. He shouldn't be first choice, but he is as vital player off the bench, the amount of goal he scores in crucial moments is something. Probably the best header of the ball I've seen in a centerforward in a while

The best plan B in the league.
The worst plan A in the league.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46143 on: August 12, 2017, 05:27:31 pm »
The best plan B in the league.
The worst plan A in the league.

That sums it up, now you have Lacazette, so it should help much more. If Giroud is content with playing the part as a bench player

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46144 on: August 12, 2017, 05:45:13 pm »
That sums it up, now you have Lacazette, so it should help much more. If Giroud is content with playing the part as a bench player

Yeh he was told to leave, he refused. Refreshing.
He ll be a starter in the europa league/league cup. So will still play a lot.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46145 on: August 13, 2017, 08:15:17 am »
Yeh he was told to leave, he refused. Refreshing.
He ll be a starter in the europa league/league cup. So will still play a lot.

I think more told he could leave if he wanted

Bellerin and Walcott are the two players to whom the formation change has been a real problem.

I agree with that. I don't think Eleny is a bad player but we have one midfield combo that really works at moment and Ramsey tends to pick up a knock here or there which then puts us in trouble though Coq and Xhaka can work on right team. Ramsey was a game changer, came in and broke the Leicester ranks, forced them to bring on another midfielder to nullify it and when Shakespeare made his disastrous second change, Ramsey ran rampant. 

Delighted he stayed. He makes very good cover, a good plan B, a "we need to go slightly different from start against this defence" and it suits Giroud as he is someone who runs out of steam if starting regularly though it would have been completely understandable if he wanted to leave.  He makes a good focal point, teams know he is a threat in the air, our players know they can play off him.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46146 on: August 13, 2017, 12:24:49 pm »

Our problems were obviously defensive, some due to rust, some due to selection (we could have used Gabriel and Chambers so no need to go for two left-wing backs at heart of defence) and some more concerning.

Agree with what you say, only thing is we couldn't use Gabriel as he is still injured. Chambers seems to be close to leaving so might be why he didn't use him.

Just need to try and scrape through Stoke hopefully with a win, and see what we can do against Liverpool. Then it's international break, transfer window closed, guys lacking fitness and carrying injuries should hopefully all be back and can hopefully really push on then.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46147 on: August 14, 2017, 04:18:56 pm »
Agree with what you say, only thing is we couldn't use Gabriel as he is still injured. Chambers seems to be close to leaving so might be why he didn't use him.

Just need to try and scrape through Stoke hopefully with a win, and see what we can do against Liverpool. Then it's international break, transfer window closed, guys lacking fitness and carrying injuries should hopefully all be back and can hopefully really push on then.

Didn't realize Gabriel was injured and was under the assumption that Chambers is someone Wenger wants to move on but nobody is close to it so thought we could put him in shop window/be more secure at the back in one game.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46148 on: August 14, 2017, 05:17:05 pm »
Hopefully we keep Chambers, he cost 16m and is still in his early 20s, excellent on the ball just hamstrung by lack of pace.  With Mert retiring and Koscielny in to his 30s now, would love to see Chambers and Holding as the CB pairing of the next few years.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46149 on: August 16, 2017, 01:34:49 pm »
I would rather lose Gabirel if we need to sell one of our centrebacks but does feel like the players we might be able to sell are all the ones I want to keep

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #46150 on: August 19, 2017, 07:30:12 pm »
Another iffy season ahead if they don't pull off a couple of big signings
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Reese

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46151 on: August 19, 2017, 07:35:16 pm »
You wanna join the VAR train with us?  :D

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46152 on: August 19, 2017, 07:35:41 pm »
Same old Arsenal. We've had a fair few games like that in recent times though, so hard to be too critical, and they made enough chances to score on most days. Fair play to Stoke though, did what they needed and defended well.

Watching a Bein Sports stream, and Tim Sherwood's one of the pundits. The man is an utter, utter cretin. Oh, and Richard Keys is a c*nt.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #46153 on: August 19, 2017, 08:39:14 pm »
Should have won that but can't afford too many more. Just hope we can get three points at Anfield now
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46154 on: August 19, 2017, 08:41:25 pm »
They should've had 0 points in 2 matches. I still can't believe how Leicester gave that first match.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #46155 on: August 19, 2017, 09:09:48 pm »
Is now time to stoke the wenger out fires......
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #46156 on: August 19, 2017, 09:11:54 pm »
wonder how long it will be before the daggers are out? , shit they have never been away have they. They are always going to be a defeat/poor run away from completley imploding as a club.
The fan base is baying for blood, chuck in a last minute sanchez departure and nobody coming in and you have a molotov cocktail on your hands.
Be careful how you handle it, it's volatile and can hit you at any moment, just watch it doesnt go down the wrong hole.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46157 on: August 19, 2017, 09:13:46 pm »
I thought Arsenal played very well, and with a little bit of luck they would have won that game 4-1.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #46158 on: August 19, 2017, 09:17:24 pm »
I thought Arsenal played very well, and with a little bit of luck they would have won that game 4-1.

With a little bit of luck we would've won the 2014 title also  :P

They lost. Hope they lose many more because given the lack of squad depth we've got the fewer teams doing well the better if we're going to be top four again. I'm not entirely sure we can get 76 points again at the moment, so if 70 would do I'd be delighted.
Linudden.

Offline dangerpuss

• A bit like bagpuss. But more.....um.....dangerous.....um.....
  • Kopite
  • Allez, allez, allez
« Reply #46159 on: August 19, 2017, 09:31:22 pm »
Season over?  ;)