Author Topic: General Arsenal Thread  (Read 3107957 times)

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Believer
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #46160 on: August 12, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »
For the criticism Giroud gets, he's definitely one of the better 2nd/3rd choice strikers in the PL

He is a very good striker

Very entertaining game with two teams failing to defend and attacking well, won by use of the bench. Wenger brought on Ramsey who began creating havoc and switched formation so Shakespere brought on Amatery which nullified things. We were on top but struggled to break through so Shakespeare take off a midfielder for a striker and suddenly space opened up, Ramsey and Giroud both scoring from bench.

Lot to like going forward for Arsenal, Welbeck and Oxlade caused a lot of trouble down the left, Ramsey created a lot of problems with his late when he came on, we looked dangerous when we crossed the ball in or had central midfielders clipping ball in. Lacazette looked dangerous in the box and did well when moved to left, was times where he seemed surprised by the muscle in the Prem and got knocked off ball a bit too easily. Credit to Wenger for being willing to change the system, it is nice having plans b's!

Our problems were obviously defensive, some due to rust, some due to selection (we could have used Gabriel and Chambers so no need to go for two left-wing backs at heart of defence) and some more concerning. A lot of sloppy passes putting us back under pressure, Bellerin and Ozil were awful at shutting down their flank once we were 1-0 up and Leicester's equalizer came from third dangerous cross, our backline and keeper did not handle the crosses well (Cech improved on that in second half), fell asleep at corners.

Offline Ashburton

• Believer
« Reply #46161 on: August 12, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »
All this said, and I understand we have 4 first choice CBs out, so did well to pull it out of the bag yesterday - for much of the match there was a gaping hole in the middle of midfield for a ball winning metronome, someone like Verratti who can really feed the players in front.  We are talking about barely being able to get the better of Leicester second choice midfield.  Without that I can't see us getting the results we want this season, the games devolve to an end-to-end goal fest, which is great for neutrals but not for winning trophies.  Amazing game to start the season off with mind you!

Also Hector needs to get his head down in training, been shite for months, dribbling and crossing is atrocious, seems out of position a lot, were I Liverpool in game 3 I'd put Mane on that wing for a lot of joy.

Offline The North Bank

• Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46162 on: August 12, 2017, 01:15:40 PM »
All this said, and I understand we have 4 first choice CBs out, so did well to pull it out of the bag yesterday - for much of the match there was a gaping hole in the middle of midfield for a ball winning metronome, someone like Verratti who can really feed the players in front.  We are talking about barely being able to get the better of Leicester second choice midfield.  Without that I can't see us getting the results we want this season, the games devolve to an end-to-end goal fest, which is great for neutrals but not for winning trophies.  Amazing game to start the season off with mind you!

Also Hector needs to get his head down in training, been shite for months, dribbling and crossing is atrocious, seems out of position a lot, were I Liverpool in game 3 I'd put Mane on that wing for a lot of joy.

I don't think Bellerin enjoys the wing back role, he actually looked a better left back than a right wing back when we changed formation. At the moment our wing backs should be Kolasinac and Ox with bellerin on the bench.
On the midfield, starting Xhaka and El neny against a team that sits deep was never going to work, the game changed when Ramsey came on, his runs destroyed Leicester 's shape and without their defensive shape they can't play the counter attacking game they do so well. We don't have much beyond Xhaka and Ramsey, that is a worry.
The biggest positive was the depth going forward.

Offline Ashburton

• Believer
« Reply #46163 on: August 12, 2017, 01:23:03 PM »
I don't think Bellerin enjoys the wing back role, he actually looked a better left back than a right wing back when we changed formation. At the moment our wing backs should be Kolasinac and Ox with bellerin on the bench.
On the midfield, starting Xhaka and El neny against a team that sits deep was never going to work, the game changed when Ramsey came on, his runs destroyed Leicester 's shape and without their defensive shape they can't play the counter attacking game they do so well. We don't have much beyond Xhaka and Ramsey, that is a worry.

Agree, everyone focused on Giroud, but to me it was Ramsey who livened the game up and let the attackers use the space.  100% Bellerin needs to sit the bench, the Ox isn't any worse defensively but light years ahead going forward.

Kola, from pre-season and yesterday's game, looks very impressive indeed - really shows me Gibbs has no future at the club since he seems to now be 4th choice LB.

Offline The North Bank

• Believer
« Reply #46164 on: August 12, 2017, 02:47:37 PM »
Let's not let the result overshadow just how dreadful arsenal were tonight.

I mean, really bad.  Leicester really should have put them to the sword more thoroughly.

That's possibly he worst defence I've seen in years in a top 10 side, and I've watched sides with Martin Skrtel in them.
Lacazette certainly didn't impress me hugely, but f have to see him in different types of game before I completely dismiss him.  Thus got damn lucky tonight.. It won't continue unless they improve massively.

::)

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer
« Reply #46165 on: August 12, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »
You would be mad to sell Giroud. He shouldn't be first choice, but he is as vital player off the bench, the amount of goal he scores in crucial moments is something. Probably the best header of the ball I've seen in a centerforward in a while

Offline The North Bank

• Believer
« Reply #46166 on: August 12, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »
TUrning into a nice weekend this!

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer
« Reply #46167 on: August 12, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »
TUrning into a nice weekend this!

Don't rub it in.

Offline The North Bank

• Believer
« Reply #46168 on: August 12, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »
You would be mad to sell Giroud. He shouldn't be first choice, but he is as vital player off the bench, the amount of goal he scores in crucial moments is something. Probably the best header of the ball I've seen in a centerforward in a while

The best plan B in the league.
The worst plan A in the league.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer
« Reply #46169 on: August 12, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
The best plan B in the league.
The worst plan A in the league.

That sums it up, now you have Lacazette, so it should help much more. If Giroud is content with playing the part as a bench player

Offline The North Bank

• Believer
« Reply #46170 on: August 12, 2017, 05:45:13 PM »
That sums it up, now you have Lacazette, so it should help much more. If Giroud is content with playing the part as a bench player

Yeh he was told to leave, he refused. Refreshing.
He ll be a starter in the europa league/league cup. So will still play a lot.

Offline MagicHat

• Believer
« Reply #46171 on: August 13, 2017, 08:15:17 AM »
Yeh he was told to leave, he refused. Refreshing.
He ll be a starter in the europa league/league cup. So will still play a lot.

I think more told he could leave if he wanted

Bellerin and Walcott are the two players to whom the formation change has been a real problem.

I agree with that. I don't think Eleny is a bad player but we have one midfield combo that really works at moment and Ramsey tends to pick up a knock here or there which then puts us in trouble though Coq and Xhaka can work on right team. Ramsey was a game changer, came in and broke the Leicester ranks, forced them to bring on another midfielder to nullify it and when Shakespeare made his disastrous second change, Ramsey ran rampant. 

Delighted he stayed. He makes very good cover, a good plan B, a "we need to go slightly different from start against this defence" and it suits Giroud as he is someone who runs out of steam if starting regularly though it would have been completely understandable if he wanted to leave.  He makes a good focal point, teams know he is a threat in the air, our players know they can play off him.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Believer
« Reply #46172 on: August 13, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »

Our problems were obviously defensive, some due to rust, some due to selection (we could have used Gabriel and Chambers so no need to go for two left-wing backs at heart of defence) and some more concerning.

Agree with what you say, only thing is we couldn't use Gabriel as he is still injured. Chambers seems to be close to leaving so might be why he didn't use him.

Just need to try and scrape through Stoke hopefully with a win, and see what we can do against Liverpool. Then it's international break, transfer window closed, guys lacking fitness and carrying injuries should hopefully all be back and can hopefully really push on then.

Offline MagicHat

• Believer
« Reply #46173 on: August 14, 2017, 04:18:56 PM »
Agree with what you say, only thing is we couldn't use Gabriel as he is still injured. Chambers seems to be close to leaving so might be why he didn't use him.

Just need to try and scrape through Stoke hopefully with a win, and see what we can do against Liverpool. Then it's international break, transfer window closed, guys lacking fitness and carrying injuries should hopefully all be back and can hopefully really push on then.

Didn't realize Gabriel was injured and was under the assumption that Chambers is someone Wenger wants to move on but nobody is close to it so thought we could put him in shop window/be more secure at the back in one game.

Offline Ashburton

• Believer
« Reply #46174 on: August 14, 2017, 05:17:05 PM »
Hopefully we keep Chambers, he cost 16m and is still in his early 20s, excellent on the ball just hamstrung by lack of pace.  With Mert retiring and Koscielny in to his 30s now, would love to see Chambers and Holding as the CB pairing of the next few years.

Offline MagicHat

• Believer
« Reply #46175 on: August 16, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »
I would rather lose Gabirel if we need to sell one of our centrebacks but does feel like the players we might be able to sell are all the ones I want to keep

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• Exchange Ban
  • Believer
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #46176 on: August 19, 2017, 07:30:12 PM »
Another iffy season ahead if they don't pull off a couple of big signings
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Reese

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #46177 on: August 19, 2017, 07:35:16 PM »
You wanna join the VAR train with us?  :D

Offline Djozer

• Believer
« Reply #46178 on: August 19, 2017, 07:35:41 PM »
Same old Arsenal. We've had a fair few games like that in recent times though, so hard to be too critical, and they made enough chances to score on most days. Fair play to Stoke though, did what they needed and defended well.

Watching a Bein Sports stream, and Tim Sherwood's one of the pundits. The man is an utter, utter cretin. Oh, and Richard Keys is a c*nt.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 96.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #46179 on: August 19, 2017, 08:39:14 PM »
Should have won that but can't afford too many more. Just hope we can get three points at Anfield now
Justice for Anne Williams
Justice for the 96

Istanbul 2005, Athens 2007, Basel 2016.

Offline elsewhere

• No new LFC topics
  • Believer
« Reply #46180 on: August 19, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »
They should've had 0 points in 2 matches. I still can't believe how Leicester gave that first match.

Offline PaulF

• -.-- -. .-- .-
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #46181 on: August 19, 2017, 09:09:48 PM »
Is now time to stoke the wenger out fires......
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PAULG

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Believer
  • Floyd i love you, never forgotten 19-9-06 -18-9-17
« Reply #46182 on: August 19, 2017, 09:11:54 PM »
wonder how long it will be before the daggers are out? , shit they have never been away have they. They are always going to be a defeat/poor run away from completley imploding as a club.
The fan base is baying for blood, chuck in a last minute sanchez departure and nobody coming in and you have a molotov cocktail on your hands.
Be careful how you handle it, it's volatile and can hit you at any moment, just watch it doesnt go down the wrong hole.
i shall not bear false witness against thy neighbour, i was your neighbour, so now you're a danger.

Online Rick-40

• Kopite
« Reply #46183 on: August 19, 2017, 09:13:46 PM »
I thought Arsenal played very well, and with a little bit of luck they would have won that game 4-1.

Offline Linudden

• Kopite
« Reply #46184 on: August 19, 2017, 09:17:24 PM »
I thought Arsenal played very well, and with a little bit of luck they would have won that game 4-1.

With a little bit of luck we would've won the 2014 title also  :P

They lost. Hope they lose many more because given the lack of squad depth we've got the fewer teams doing well the better if we're going to be top four again. I'm not entirely sure we can get 76 points again at the moment, so if 70 would do I'd be delighted.

Offline dangerpuss

• Anny Roader
  • Moreno is a decent football player.
« Reply #46185 on: August 19, 2017, 09:31:22 PM »
Season over?  ;)

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Believer
  • ...All the best
« Reply #46186 on: August 19, 2017, 09:50:40 PM »
All their fans talking about how they urgently need to bring some players in all the while AW says in the post-match PC they've got 33 players and need to sell before they can think about buying. Lulz.

Offline PAULG

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Believer
  • Floyd i love you, never forgotten 19-9-06 -18-9-17
« Reply #46187 on: August 19, 2017, 10:08:11 PM »
All their fans talking about how they urgently need to bring some players in all the while AW says in the post-match PC they've got 33 players and need to sell before they can think about buying. Lulz.
precursor for sanchez  going to bayern or city then?
i shall not bear false witness against thy neighbour, i was your neighbour, so now you're a danger.

Online Claus

• Only associates with saucy fuckers!
  • Believer
« Reply #46188 on: August 19, 2017, 10:27:25 PM »
Sign some fackin players says Claude

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE.
  • Believer
  • A Serpent's Tooth
« Reply #46189 on: August 19, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »
They played well and were unfortunate not to come away with something from that game...a couple of clear penalty shouts denied and Lacazette's goal should've stood <insert Lucas behind the curtain gif> - can see him bagging plenty this season though when fully settled..clearly has an eye for a goal.....will be the usual season for Arsenal, ie discontent from the blud/fam brigade culminating in a sturdy finish to the season, a possible cup and possible top 4
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #46190 on: August 20, 2017, 12:17:22 AM »
It's going to get ugly at the Gooners earlier than usual I reckon.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #46191 on: August 20, 2017, 02:14:29 AM »
Sign some fackin players says Claude

SPEND SOME FACKING MONEY! SPEND SOME FACKING MONEY!

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Believer
« Reply #46192 on: August 20, 2017, 02:23:33 AM »
They played well and were unfortunate not to come away with something from that game...a couple of clear penalty shouts denied and Lacazette's goal should've stood <insert Lucas behind the curtain gif> - can see him bagging plenty this season though when fully settled..clearly has an eye for a goal.....will be the usual season for Arsenal, ie discontent from the blud/fam brigade culminating in a sturdy finish to the season, a possible cup and possible top 4
The goal was just off side.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #46193 on: August 20, 2017, 02:45:01 AM »
Ars prob need VVD

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Souness1

• Anny Roader
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #46194 on: August 20, 2017, 08:53:26 AM »
When is Alexis back?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #46195 on: August 20, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
When is Alexis back?

Against us. Of course.
Hm. Hm. Sure.
FSG are prepared to back Klopp with as many as 5/6 high profile signings, with more dead wood shipped out in the summer.

Why have you quoted me as your signature?

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy?
  • Believer
« Reply #46196 on: August 20, 2017, 09:09:30 AM »
Against us. Of course.

Hopefully he'll be gone by then.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #46197 on: August 20, 2017, 09:13:29 AM »
Is there any defender for whom playing 3 at the back is absolutely fundamental? I ask because at the moment all those who played yesterday seemed uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:37:50 AM by Red Bird »

Offline Redshadow

• Believer
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #46198 on: August 20, 2017, 09:20:59 AM »
The goal was just off side.
Correct, there's a picture in Guardian showing that he was marginally off. Of course it means Arsenal was unlucky while an offside goal against us last week was simply brushed off under the carpet. 😀
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE.
  • Believer
  • A Serpent's Tooth
« Reply #46199 on: August 20, 2017, 09:52:09 AM »
Correct, there's a picture in Guardian showing that he was marginally off.

nah...there's no way that should have been flagged.....unless the linesman is one of the Fantastic Four and has X-ray Fly-vision, he couldn't have seen that tiny freeze frame dependent infraction....in normal play he's level and level means he's onside....and lets have it straight, if that had been us, and it was Mane, or Salah who's equalizer gets chalked off we'd have been going fuckin nuts...and quite rightly so
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.