Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5735408 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #47640 on: January 26, 2018, 08:56:45 pm »
So...when can we sign Bellerin?

Why do we want him?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47641 on: January 26, 2018, 10:01:01 pm »
Without comment

What's the significance of the number 45? Is he an Aaron Eyoma fan or something?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:02:33 pm by Xabi Gerrard »

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47642 on: January 26, 2018, 10:03:52 pm »
Trump is 45th President of the United States.

Morgan has actually gone to quite a bit of effort.  :puke2
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:08:12 pm by Kekuleyule y'all! »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47643 on: January 26, 2018, 10:05:51 pm »
Trump is 45th President of the United States.

Morgan has actually gone to quite a bit of effort.  :puke2

Of course. How cringeable.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #47644 on: January 26, 2018, 10:20:14 pm »
There was no planned clear out, but we might end up in a better situation due to this natural evolution.

Would be just like us to screw up the Aubameyang deal though, that would be a disaster.

You need a clear out alright North Bank but it isn't the playing staff, it's in the boardroom.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47645 on: January 26, 2018, 10:23:36 pm »
Without comment

Jaysus, that's embarrassing. You can tell just how touched Trump is by the fact that he appears to be falling asleep out of boredom.

Having Morgan as a famous supporter of your club must be almost as depressing as having Trump as your president.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #47646 on: January 26, 2018, 11:01:34 pm »
You need a clear out alright North Bank but it isn't the playing staff, it's in the boardroom.

Don't get the Bitters going, they'll think Usmanov is on the way.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #47647 on: January 26, 2018, 11:22:13 pm »
Walcott has been going nowhere fast.

That's not really fair. I've seen him speed his way up many a blind alley with the ball.

(none as big a dead end as going to Woodison, granted)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47648 on: January 26, 2018, 11:22:19 pm »

I think both , but you are 100% right. Until the silent one leaves we ll always be clutching at cup competitions and doing nothing in the league.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47649 on: January 26, 2018, 11:23:49 pm »
Piers Moron is a grade A mug.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47650 on: January 26, 2018, 11:52:56 pm »
Piers Moron is a grade A mug.
because he has 4 season tickets?

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #47651 on: January 29, 2018, 12:59:00 am »
https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/957751674289913858

BREAKING: Arsenal close to reaching  agreement to sign to striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Borussia Dortmund for club-record fee in region of £60m.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47652 on: January 29, 2018, 09:30:51 am »
If the signings settle they have improved their team even when losing Sanchez. Walcott is a nonentity.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47653 on: January 29, 2018, 09:43:17 am »
If the signings settle they have improved their team even when losing Sanchez. Walcott is a nonentity.

They've improved the squad maybe, but not the first choice 11.

Micky Ryan is a much worse player than Sanchez, he won't come close to contributing the same sorts of numbers as he did.

Aubameyang, if he can find form and adjust to the PL quickly, will be a better choice than Lacazette up top, but he won't make up for the shortfall in goals lost from Sanchez imo.

Personally feel they've weakened their first choice forwards and not added anyone to the dodgy back line to shore it up. At least we have weakened an area we were strong and bought a top class player for somewhere we were weak.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47654 on: January 29, 2018, 09:44:17 am »
Also, I beg to differ than Walcott was a nonentity. He was never going to be a first choice, or even first off the bench, but he offered an option from there at least. They've lost that now.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47655 on: January 29, 2018, 09:46:35 am »
They've improved the squad maybe, but not the first choice 11.

Micky Ryan is a much worse player than Sanchez, he won't come close to contributing the same sorts of numbers as he did.

Aubameyang, if he can find form and adjust to the PL quickly, will be a better choice than Lacazette up top, but he won't make up for the shortfall in goals lost from Sanchez imo.

Personally feel they've weakened their first choice forwards and not added anyone to the dodgy back line to shore it up. At least we have weakened an area we were strong and bought a top class player for somewhere we were weak.

I think it depends on how Wenger sets the team out. Also, i'm not sure we are finished yet. We could yet move for Evans, or don't even be surprised if we try for Luiz since Chelsea are so strongly linked to Giroud just now. Not sure how much they would shore up a back line, think you have shown it's more to do with tactics than anything else.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47656 on: January 29, 2018, 09:48:50 am »
I think it depends on how Wenger sets the team out. Also, i'm not sure we are finished yet. We could yet move for Evans, or don't even be surprised if we try for Luiz since Chelsea are so strongly linked to Giroud just now. Not sure how much they would shore up a back line, think you have shown it's more to do with tactics than anything else.

I wouldn't take ours as any sign of that yet, he's only played a couple of times and going to take time to get full fitness and fully settle. Although no doubt our tactics will play a part, so do individual errors which we make a shit load of, which hopefully VVD at least won't do as often.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47657 on: January 29, 2018, 10:11:51 am »
I think Arsenal will be stronger (if Aubameyang joins).

Sanchez is a brilliant player but too much of an individualist. Yes he scored and created lots, but the team as a whole didn't progress with him in - they didn't ever get more points, didn't ever score more goals, they won the FA cup before he joined, they won the FA cup after he joined. He adds goals but his teammates' goals dry up.

Unfortunately I think he'll suit Man Utd - Mourinho famously doesn't coach the attack and expects the forward players to solve their own problems whilst he drills the defence. That'll probably be good for Sanchez.

Mkhytarian, whilst not being as good an individual as Sanchez, will probably prefer playing in a better drilled attacking team like Arsenal. Throw in one of the worlds best strikers and I think it could work out well for Arsenal.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47658 on: January 29, 2018, 10:46:21 am »
I wouldn't say Aresnal are a better drilled attacking team. They're given more freedom to attack, but it's not particularly structured and comes across very much as improvising and individualism.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47659 on: January 29, 2018, 10:52:59 am »
I wouldn't say Aresnal are a better drilled attacking team. They're given more freedom to attack, but it's not particularly structured and comes across very much as improvising and individualism.

If I'm not wrong (please correct me if I am), but Mourinho's past players have said that he doesn't do any coaching for the attack - he drills the defence and buys attackers who can solve their own problems, i.e. his attacks are full of individualists rather than being a system.

On the contrary, past Wenger players have said that he doesn't do any work with the defence - one of the famous old guard (Adams, Keown or Dixon I think) said they were surprised when he joined and expected them to solve the defensive problems whilst he drilled the attack. 

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47660 on: January 29, 2018, 10:53:27 am »
I wouldn't take ours as any sign of that yet, he's only played a couple of times and going to take time to get full fitness and fully settle. Although no doubt our tactics will play a part, so do individual errors which we make a shit load of, which hopefully VVD at least won't do as often.

I was being a bit simplistic there, of course VVD will take time to settle & such. We too suffer from individual errors, take the Man Utd game at home for example, a game we should have won about 5-2 were it not for De Gea & the brain farts in our defence leading to their opening 2 goals. Like i say, it's not something i can see Evans or Luiz really solving while we leave the defence so exposed. I'm hoping if we do sign 1 of them, our main attention in the summer is for a proper midielder that could help protect the defence, either by athleticism or much better tactical & mental discipline, both of which Xhaka seems to lack. 

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47661 on: January 29, 2018, 10:59:45 am »
Im very excited by Aubameyangs numbers, absolute goal machine in german football, very interesting how he does here. A front 4 of Ozil Micky Auba and Laca is very exciting, the rest of the team not so much.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47662 on: January 29, 2018, 11:05:48 am »
Im very excited by Aubameyangs numbers, absolute goal machine in german football, very interesting how he does here. A front 4 of Ozil Micky Auba and Laca is very exciting, the rest of the team not so much.

2 attacking midfielders that like to occupy the same space and 2 strikers that are almost identical stylistically (ie offer almost nothing outside the box). Not sure you can have all those on the pitch at the same time.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47663 on: January 29, 2018, 11:07:16 am »
2 attacking midfielders that like to occupy the same space and 2 strikers that are almost identical stylistically (ie offer almost nothing outside the box). Not sure you can have all those on the pitch at the same time.

Almost certainly they won't. If they do then their defense, which was already open enough, will be shockingly open.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47664 on: January 29, 2018, 11:07:27 am »
4-2-2-2 should do it, with two deep lying midfielders and plenty of width from the full-backs. Sorted. Make me Mr. Manager.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47665 on: January 29, 2018, 11:22:55 am »
I think the transfer of Aubameyang is important in terms of sending out a bit of a statement more than anything else. Everyone was predicting Sanchez & Ozil would leave, we wouldn't be able to replace them, we'd struggle to attract good quality players & continue on a downward spiral. What the signings do, at least for the time being, is halt the spiral of negativity we were in danger of finding ourselves in, especially within the fanbase, & perhaps within the players as well. Perhaps there's a small chance it encourages Ozil to renew? We just need to see if that translates to performances on the pitch.

I think what he's done with the Micky T transfer, although i highly doubt this was planned either, is afford himself a bit of insurance if Ozil doesn't renew, seeing as both like to occupy similar spaces. I think if that happens you might see him going back in for a genuine wide player in the summer, perhaps someone younger like Malcom or Pavon or along those lines. 

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47666 on: January 29, 2018, 11:32:57 am »
I think the transfer of Aubameyang is important in terms of sending out a bit of a statement more than anything else. Everyone was predicting Sanchez & Ozil would leave, we wouldn't be able to replace them, we'd struggle to attract good quality players & continue on a downward spiral. What the signings do, at least for the time being, is halt the spiral of negativity we were in danger of finding ourselves in, especially within the fanbase, & perhaps within the players as well. Perhaps there's a small chance it encourages Ozil to renew? We just need to see if that translates to performances on the pitch.

I think what he's done with the Micky T transfer, although i highly doubt this was planned either, is afford himself a bit of insurance if Ozil doesn't renew, seeing as both like to occupy similar spaces. I think if that happens you might see him going back in for a genuine wide player in the summer, perhaps someone younger like Malcom or Pavon or along those lines.

Think you're making a big mistake replacing your best player in this window. You'd have been better waiting till the summer  :-X
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47667 on: January 29, 2018, 11:35:49 am »
Think you're making a big mistake replacing your best player in this window. You'd have been better waiting till the summer  :-X

They've not replaced him. Not one player they've signed replaces what he brought to the side.

It's like suggesting VVD has replaced Coutinho.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47668 on: January 29, 2018, 11:40:09 am »

The problem is the guys you are signing don't do much to bring down the average age of your squad. You're becoming a bit Everton like in that most of your important players are not young. If Aubameyang signs you'll have Cech, Koscielny, Monreal, Mkhitaryan, Ozil and Aubameyang aged 28 or above. Signing Aubameyang just reeks of kicking the can down the road to me. If Wenger goes out soon the next manager will have an almighty job on his hands transforming the squad.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:41:41 am by Gerry Attrick »

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47669 on: January 29, 2018, 11:44:02 am »
The problem is the guys you are signing don't do much to bring down the average age of your squad. You're becoming a bit Everton like in that most of your important players are not young. If Aubameyang signs you'll have Cech, Koscielny, Monreal, Mkhitaryan, Ozil and Aubameyang aged 28 or above. Signing Aubameyang just reeks of kicking the can down the road to me. If Wenger goes out soon the next manager will have an almighty job on his hands transforming the squad.

Never realised some of those were so old. Cech 36 in May, Koscielny is 33 in Sept, Monreal turns 32 next month, Mkhitaryan has just turned 29, Ozil is 30 in Oct, and Aubameyang is 29 in June.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47670 on: January 29, 2018, 11:51:59 am »

I see what you did there.  ;)

They've not replaced him. Not one player they've signed replaces what he brought to the side.

It's like suggesting VVD has replaced Coutinho.

Doesn't have to mean direct replacement. We've adjusted ok in the immediate short term without him so far, before adding Mkhitaryan & Aubameyang into the mix.

Eduardo didn't bring what Henry brought to the table either, but the full team adjusted & almost felt a weight lifted off their shoulders when he left. The ideal scenario for us would be something similar, (but without a leg break & a Gallas meltdown).

It is a bit of a worry, but there are still younger guys there. The guys you mention have a spread of 35 to 28 there, so it's not like they all need replacing in the same year.  Then there's the other guys in the squad, like Bellerin, Mustafi, Kolasniac, Xhaka, Ramsey, Wilshere, Lacazette are all not included in the list you mention. Then there's the younger guys like Chambers, Holding, Mavropanos, Nelson, Maitland-Niles, Nketia who you would hope improve.
Like i said, i can see him signing a younger attacker in the summer, we've certainly been looking at them.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:08:21 pm by ScottishGoon »

Online JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47671 on: January 29, 2018, 01:07:24 pm »
Give me old players who win cups over young players who don’t any day.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47672 on: January 29, 2018, 01:09:20 pm »

Dilemma - if someone offered you winning FA or League Cups quite often but never ever challenging for the league or CL and never looking like you will (a la Arsenal), would you take that for Liverpool?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47673 on: January 29, 2018, 01:16:14 pm »

Bit of a silly post given Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan have hardly won too much of note. Nor have Monreal and Koscielny for that matter.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47674 on: January 29, 2018, 01:31:53 pm »
Bit of a silly post given Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan have hardly won too much of note. Nor have Monreal and Koscielny for that matter.

Between those 4 players they've got a Europa League medal, 6 FA Cup medals, a German Cup medal and a League Cup medal.

Not a bad haul. Whether it's good enough for a club of Arsenal's size though is a different matter.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47675 on: January 29, 2018, 01:32:47 pm »
Between those 4 players they've got a Europa League medal, 6 FA Cup medals, a German Cup medal and a League Cup medal.

Not a bad haul. Whether it's good enough for a club of Arsenal's size though is a different matter.

I did say too much of note. I mean there is what, over 50 years of pro football between the four of them?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47676 on: January 29, 2018, 01:36:59 pm »
I did say too much of note. I mean there is what, over 50 years of pro football between the four of them?

It's not great looking at our own crop of players then and judging them through that lens. Apart from James Milner (who's hardly the future of our club) we don't have anyone who can boast anything like that. Should we be worried that our players don't have what it takes also?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47677 on: January 29, 2018, 01:40:14 pm »
It's not great looking at our own crop of players then and judging them through that lens. Apart from James Milner (who's hardly the future of our club) we don't have anyone who can boast anything like that. Should we be worried that our players don't have what it takes also?

I never said... "Give me old players who win cups over young players who don’t any day." though.

Just pointing out that some of their old players haven't won all that much over their combined 50+ years of being pros.

Granted they've got the likes of Cech who has, but even he has shown signs of losing form this season.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47678 on: January 29, 2018, 01:42:46 pm »
I never said... "Give me old players who win cups over young players who don’t any day." though.

Just pointing out that some of their old players haven't won all that much over their combined 50+ years of being pros.

Granted they've got the likes of Cech who has, but even he has shown signs of losing form this season.

Fair enough.

I'd argue though that Mkhitaryan and their current crop of players (Koscielny, Monreal et al) have actually got a very good recent pedigree of winning trophies though. Not the trophies that I think Arsenal should be settling for, but trophies nonetheless.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47679 on: January 29, 2018, 01:56:54 pm »
Dilemma - if someone offered you winning FA or League Cups quite often but never ever challenging for the league or CL and never looking like you will (a la Arsenal), would you take that for Liverpool?

There is an even worse option of not doing either!