Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5736292 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #46080 on: August 8, 2017, 08:58:07 am »
You have 9 NINE players out of contract next summer....

That's bloody staggering.  How the hell did the club let that happen?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46081 on: August 8, 2017, 09:06:41 am »
The thought of Chamberlain leaving so they can sign Lemar annoys me nearly as much as us selling Suarez to barca so they could sign Sanchez.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46082 on: August 8, 2017, 09:26:41 am »

6 of those players are Gibbs Wilshere Cazorla Jenkinson Campbell and Mertesacker.
An absolute blessing to get them off the wage bill, that's over 25m a year saved on players who no longer contribute, or contribute very little.
Sanchez Ozil and Ox are the issue, the rest leaving will be very positive.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46083 on: August 8, 2017, 09:40:05 am »
Just a thought on these out of contract players; is it not possible that with a few of them, their heads might be elsewhere this season? Especially after January when they can start to negotiate with other clubs?

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46084 on: August 8, 2017, 10:05:27 am »

6 of those players are Gibbs Wilshere Cazorla Jenkinson Campbell and Mertesacker.
An absolute blessing to get them off the wage bill, that's over 25m a year saved on players who no longer contribute, or contribute very little.

Exactly. Like i said, we would have been hoping to sell 4 of them this window if Campbell didnt get injured, & Wilshere is injury prone as well. Cazorla & Mertesacker are coming to the end of their careers, so it would be 1 year deals with them anyway.

So 9 is a headline figure, but 5 of them contributed next to nothing for the first team last season. The 3 we would like to sort are Sanchez, Ozil & Ox. As North Bank said, it's not even necessarily the transfer fee's we need, it's the money they take up on the wage bill, with the new rules in terms of only allowing a £7M wage increase each year.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46085 on: August 8, 2017, 11:38:30 am »

If Carzola is playing by the end of the season, there will be a queue of clubs wanting to sign him for free in the summer. Never thought I'd hear an Arsenal fan talk about him like that, you play so much better when he's in the team. He could easily have a "Gary McAllister" style end of career cameo elsewhere. I would have thought he'd be invaluable to have alongside other younger midfielders to help bring them along
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #46086 on: August 8, 2017, 11:54:39 am »
Good timeline:
Lacazette is a sensation, Ozil and Sanchez play well (it's World Cup year after all), Arsenal don't miss Santi Carzola too much who returns in the latter part of the season and see Arsenal through to a Europa League win, and a close title finish. Ozil and Sanchez sign new contracts.

Bad timeline:
Lacazette is fine, Arsenal are fifth, sixth or even seventh and off the pace at Christmas, and Ozil and Sanchez both sign pre-contract agreements for PSG on January 1st after weeks of speculation. Arsenal finish 7th well adrift of 6th. Santi Carzola retires at the end of season.

Massive, massive gamble.

This sounds a fair assessment of the conversations I've had with Arsenal supporters this summer. Seems to be on a knife edge how things go this season for them. At the moment it's easy to come to the conclusion that they will have improved from last season, when they won the FA Cup and got 75 points(just 3 points off 3rd). Throw in the fact that you could say Chelsea and Spurs have not improved, or even regressed, and you can easily paint a picture where Arsenal have a chance of a title challenge. On the flip side, it's easy to envisage a situation where they come a distant 6th or 7th with some of their contractual gambles backfiring massively.

To be fair, I think you can draw similar arguments for us, Spurs and Chelsea. Maybe even City given their uncertainty at GK and at CB. As it stands today, on paper City and United look the best prepared teams to make a genuine leap in improvement for next season. For United, the question may be whether that improvement is enough to close the gap on the teams above them. They look to have improved defensively (Matic and Lindelof) but that was not really their issue last season. They need a genuine, and signifiant improvement, offensively if they are to get close to a title challenge. Not sure a Lukaku for Ibrahimovic swap gives them that.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46087 on: August 8, 2017, 12:46:40 pm »
If Carzola is playing by the end of the season, there will be a queue of clubs wanting to sign him for free in the summer. Never thought I'd hear an Arsenal fan talk about him like that, you play so much better when he's in the team. He could easily have a "Gary McAllister" style end of career cameo elsewhere. I would have thought he'd be invaluable to have alongside other younger midfielders to help bring them along

Not sure the Gary Mac comparison is a good one. For starters, Gary Mac was a lean fitness fanatic who didn't suffer from a major injury and played for us at a time when football was much slower paced than it is today. Cazorla has a complete different body type, has missed two years of his career through injury and plays in a much more physically intense period. Yes it could happen, but no responsible club will be making plans on extremely rare chance that it will.

Also, Arsenal probably know that there's no club better than Arsenal who would buy Cazorla as a first team player given his injury history. Maybe a club like Everton could say to him "you're guaranteed 1st team football whenever you're fit", but that's probably as good as it will get for him.

The other options could be leaving for a better team which will no doubt be under the proviso that he'll be squad member. If Arsenal wanted to keep him though and he did take the better club option it wouldn't say much about him as a man to screw over the club that's paid him millions whilst he's been out injured for 2, possibly even 3, years. Seems out of character for him but it could happen.

Either way, I don't think Arsenal have done anything inept with his contract situation, it doesnt make sense to commit to anything now. If he's a perma-crock, then it'll be goodbye & thanks for the memories, or even possibly a Mertesacker type coaching role. If he makes a full recovery then in both parties interest it'll likely just lead to a new contract.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46088 on: August 8, 2017, 01:18:35 pm »
I love Cazorla but there is a real chance he ll never play football again so it's pointless how talented he is.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46089 on: August 8, 2017, 01:20:53 pm »

Either way, I don't think Arsenal have done anything inept with his contract situation, it doesnt make sense to commit to anything now. If he's a perma-crock, then it'll be goodbye & thanks for the memories, or even possibly a Mertesacker type coaching role. If he makes a full recovery then in both parties interest it'll likely just lead to a new contract.

Nail on head really. Arsenal actually took up an option to extend his contract this summer while he was injured, something he's came out on record saying he was extremely grateful with. I'm sure if he proves his fitness and Arsenal wish to extend Arsenal would be in pole position.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46090 on: August 8, 2017, 01:20:53 pm »
Good timeline:
Lacazette is a sensation, Ozil and Sanchez play well (it's World Cup year after all),
Massive, massive gamble.

Sanchez is guaranteed to be picked anyway. He may feel he wants to preserve his energy and guard against injury to ensure he can make an impact on a world stage. --As you say, massive gamble.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46091 on: August 8, 2017, 01:22:14 pm »
Sanchez is guaranteed to be picked anyway. He may feel he wants to preserve his energy and guard against injury to ensure he can make an impact on a world stage. --As you say, massive gamble.

Sanchez doesn't do energy conservation. Might even help him if he paces himself better.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46092 on: August 8, 2017, 01:27:20 pm »
Sanchez doesn't do energy conservation. Might even help him if he paces himself better.

What's the latest on him? Is he staying? I'm not seeing any rumours about clubs trying to buy him.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46093 on: August 8, 2017, 01:30:56 pm »
What's the latest on him? Is he staying? I'm not seeing any rumours about clubs trying to buy him.

Yeh he's staying. Should be on the bench against Leicester, hopefully we won't need him.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46094 on: August 8, 2017, 01:56:21 pm »
Yeh he's staying. Should be on the bench against Leicester, hopefully we won't need him.

Phew, was worried that you'd sell him and replace him with someone who improves the team as a whole  ;)

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46095 on: August 8, 2017, 01:58:42 pm »
Phew, was worried that you'd sell him and replace him with someone who improves the team as a whole  ;)

Someone that runs 18 miles a match?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46096 on: August 8, 2017, 02:35:15 pm »
Someone that runs 18 miles a match?

Oh man don't even joke about things like that. I'm already having a tough enough time trying to figure out how we're going to overhaul Chelsea, Spurs and City, last thing I need is the thought of Arsenal signing a player who creates the space for Ozil to exploit like the world class playmaker we all know he is deep down, the space for Ramsey, Theo & Lacazette to wreak havoc in by getting in goal scoring positions rather than spending 90mins carrying water, disrupting the opposition making sure they can't build from defence by incessant pressing......fucking hell, doesn't bare thinking about....

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46097 on: August 8, 2017, 07:09:50 pm »
Here's a question...

You've got so many good players out of contract next summer, doesn't it make sense to sell some of them this summer?

We tried.

If we leave out the Metersacker retiring and Cazorla's likely "get fit, get new contract" situation, Wenger's probably right in we are going to see more of this.

We have three players we want to keep out of the remaining 7 but clearly we have not been getting massive bids for them. With Oxlade, there may be an element of "do I want to pay for a player that I have doubts about" but with Sanchez and Ozil, I don't think clubs want to spend high transfer fees and high wages when they can wait a year and with neither of them being the absolute top target for the big clubs. That we can't tie them down is that all three have doubts Arsenal are the best route forward for their careers and that's a big issue clearly.

The others, we can't shift. Their wages are high due to being CL club squad players and even with world cup coming, we can't get rid. Not entirely the players fault, there hasn't been news of major bids for most of the players we want to lose (Perez, Chambers have had bids) and again, clubs may be looking at these guys and going "not going to pay that" and waiting for contracts to end. We do not seem to be the only club were suddenly the usually reliable income stream of selling off unwanted squad players is now a problem

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46098 on: August 11, 2017, 01:02:07 pm »
Looking forward to tonight, got my "Wenger in/Wenger out" half and half scarf on like every Arsenal fan ;) Should beat Leicester but I suspect one or two of the big teams will have a slow start as players get up to speed so unless we are really bad, won't be too concerned.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46099 on: August 11, 2017, 01:09:06 pm »
When was the last time Arsenal won their opening game of the season? Seem to have struggled in recent years if my memory serves.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46100 on: August 11, 2017, 01:48:37 pm »
When was the last time Arsenal won their opening game of the season? Seem to have struggled in recent years if my memory serves.

About 6 years, we've lost the last 3 times we started at home, against you West Ham and villa.
Not looking forward to tonight, we have the usual 6 players out at this stage of the season and it always seems to go wrong.
Maybe it being a Friday might help us, it feels like the day before the opening day , if that makes sense.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46101 on: August 11, 2017, 03:03:15 pm »
 . . . when was the last time Arsenal were 3-0 up in the 1st 10 minutes, 4-0 up at half time . . . and never won the match     :P

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46102 on: August 11, 2017, 04:14:02 pm »
. . . when was the last time Arsenal were 3-0 up in the 1st 10 minutes, 4-0 up at half time . . . and never won the match     :P

I remember that match. I don't remember the last time Newcastle won a trophy. When was the last time that happened. 

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #46103 on: August 11, 2017, 04:15:13 pm »
About 6 years, we've lost the last 3 times we started at home, against you West Ham and villa.
Not looking forward to tonight, we have the usual 6 players out at this stage of the season and it always seems to go wrong.
Maybe it being a Friday might help us, it feels like the day before the opening day , if that makes sense.

Actually think you'll win tonight and won't even struggle

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46104 on: August 11, 2017, 04:16:33 pm »

I think you'll be alright tonight. Probably won't be a classic but I reckon you'll grind out a win.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46105 on: August 11, 2017, 04:19:49 pm »
We've had a few good pre-seasons over the years and completely cocked up the opening fixtures.  Imo need a strong start tonight, there are a good few players out so it could be a pretty 'stop gap' CB pairing, with Mert and Gabriel injured, Koscielny suspended, which leaves the young lads or throwing a midfielder in there. I'm expecting Iheanacho to get some joy.  Everything else said, I'm most interested to see how the midfield plays, with some tough games early on in the season to contend with - it needs to look stable at the back without huge amounts of drama every time they cross the half way line.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46106 on: August 11, 2017, 04:26:23 pm »

While last season's opening struggling might just be down to the strange decision that facing Liverpool's attack without a senior centreback was a good idea, we seem to have struggled a bit with the move from preseason in Austria to the big tours, we seem to always need another week or two to quite get into shape.

I'm expecting Iheanacho to get some joy. 

I believe he isn't quite fit for this game?

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46107 on: August 11, 2017, 05:05:02 pm »
I hope Mahrez doesn't issue a come and get me plea by destroying us tonight. He should go on strike like proper footballers. Selfish git.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:16:56 pm by The North Bank »

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46108 on: August 11, 2017, 05:08:10 pm »

I remember that match. I don't remember the last time Newcastle won a trophy. When was the last time that happened. 
3 months ago    :P

http://alloutfootball.co.uk/newcastle-united-crowned-efl-champions/

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #46110 on: August 11, 2017, 09:13:38 pm »
Great start to the season for the neutral.
This could go any way for gooners !
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #46111 on: August 11, 2017, 09:39:43 pm »
For the criticism Giroud gets, he's definitely one of the better 2nd/3rd choice strikers in the PL

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #46112 on: August 11, 2017, 09:43:19 pm »
Turned on the team in the first half of their first game of the season :lmao

#Arsenal
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46113 on: August 11, 2017, 09:47:59 pm »
There isn't a team in the league who get as many late winners as this lot. Constantly do it.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46114 on: August 11, 2017, 09:48:26 pm »
I only saw the last half hour but that looked like an awesome game. Nice to see the Gunners are as mental as ever.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46115 on: August 11, 2017, 10:18:57 pm »
I realise the French lad was missing from Arsenal's defence but they look dreadful at the back.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:27:31 pm by Flaccido Dongingo »

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46116 on: August 11, 2017, 10:28:27 pm »
What a comeback , magnificent.
Lacazette was superb, he will score bucket loads for us. 
Huge 3 points against a team that are horrible to play against.

7 minutes turned the weekend, instead of watching golf I want more football!!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #46117 on: August 11, 2017, 10:40:28 pm »
Let's not let the result overshadow just how dreadful arsenal were tonight.

I mean, really bad.  Leicester really should have put them to the sword more thoroughly.

That's possibly he worst defence I've seen in years in a top 10 side, and I've watched sides with Martin Skrtel in them.
Lacazette certainly didn't impress me hugely, but f have to see him in different types of game before I completely dismiss him.  Thus got damn lucky tonight.. It won't continue unless they improve massively.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46118 on: August 11, 2017, 10:49:28 pm »
They have Stoke, Liverpool and Chelsea away in the next 4 games. They'll get three points maximum from those games.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46119 on: August 11, 2017, 10:55:24 pm »
Sick of starting the season with defeats and playing catch up from week 1.
The first game is all about the 3 points, I didnt expect us to be firing on all cylinders, with 4 center backs out, and Sanchez. Great start.