Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5736512 times)

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #45960 on: July 23, 2017, 10:30:35 am »
Christ they were shite today. Doesn't bode well for them, with Sanchez clearly about to leave for better things. Lacazette will disappoint, in my opinion. Take away penalties and his scoring record is ordinary. Suspect they'll have to get used to Europa League football.

We were shite yesterday, but Chelsea were full strength apart from their new signings, we had a couple of kids at the back, it was the end of a long tour with games played in difficult humidity and on awful pitches. After the problems during the week with the virus,  it looked like they just wanted out of there and back home. Emirates Cup next weekend and then the Community Shield, even then its difficult judge.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:34:31 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #45961 on: July 23, 2017, 08:12:30 pm »
Can see it ending badly next season at Arsenal, fans already waiting in the wings, possibly lose their talisman, even if he doesn't leave his mind is somewhere else. I think there will be a few comings and goings there this summer, so cant see them putting in any sort of title challenge.
Will the fans settle for their bi-annual FA cup?
Some unhappy players, fans patience virtually non existent, only a PL title or serious challenge will do. Too much ground to make up on other teams.

Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #45962 on: July 23, 2017, 08:42:11 pm »
Can see it ending badly next season at Arsenal, fans already waiting in the wings, possibly lose their talisman, even if he doesn't leave his mind is somewhere else. I think there will be a few comings and goings there this summer, so cant see them putting in any sort of title challenge.
Will the fans settle for their bi-annual FA cup?
Some unhappy players, fans patience virtually non existent, only a PL title or serious challenge will do. Too much ground to make up on other teams.
Where they finish in the league will depend on how Wenger approaches the Europa League.

Last season Arsenal did finish on 75 points in a season with CL, and if they played weakened sides in the EL they'll be a threat for Top 4 again due to to their ability to put away bottom sides.

Of course, a lot depends on keeping Sanchez. If they keep him, I don't believe that he'd suddenly stop trying next season. He's a football player, and would effectively be playing for a big payday at age 30 when he could leave on a free, kind of similar to how Suarez was playing to earn a move to Barcelona in 2013/14. If he has a really poor season at Arsenal he'd basically be losing out on money on his last big contract.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #45963 on: July 23, 2017, 08:42:56 pm »
Looking at the fee for Lacazette, he seems quite cheap now, his club must be kicking themselves, they could have got £15m more.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #45964 on: July 23, 2017, 09:08:57 pm »
Where they finish in the league will depend on how Wenger approaches the Europa League.

Last season Arsenal did finish on 75 points in a season with CL, and if they played weakened sides in the EL they'll be a threat for Top 4 again due to to their ability to put away bottom sides.

Of course, a lot depends on keeping Sanchez. If they keep him, I don't believe that he'd suddenly stop trying next season. He's a football player, and would effectively be playing for a big payday at age 30 when he could leave on a free, kind of similar to how Suarez was playing to earn a move to Barcelona in 2013/14. If he has a really poor season at Arsenal he'd basically be losing out on money on his last big contract.
#indeed   i reckon they will get 4th as it happens. as stated wont be enough to keep the wolves at bay
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45965 on: July 23, 2017, 09:24:05 pm »
Looking at the fee for Lacazette, he seems quite cheap now, his club must be kicking themselves, they could have got £15m more.

Well, so far only Man City (Walker) and Man Utd (Lukaku) have spent silly money on a player. All the other top transfers, like Salah to LFC or Morata to Chelsea are being done at relatively sensible prices. We know that Aulas is generally a very tough negotiator, but in this case he was pretty open to selling Lacazette, so there must have been some promise that the player could leave this summer.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #45966 on: July 23, 2017, 09:32:14 pm »
Well, so far only Man City (Walker) and Man Utd (Lukaku) have spent silly money on a player. All the other top transfers, like Salah to LFC or Morata to Chelsea are being done at relatively sensible prices. We know that Aulas is generally a very tough negotiator, but in this case he was pretty open to selling Lacazette, so there must have been some promise that the player could leave this summer.

Is morata worth that much more?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45967 on: July 23, 2017, 09:36:52 pm »

Morata is younger and has a knack of being a big game player so even though his overall goalscoring record isn't special I'd say he is worth more.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45968 on: July 23, 2017, 09:53:03 pm »

Well, Real Madrid reported the Morata fee at €65 million, and Lyon reported the Lacazette fee at €53 million, so it is not that much more. Also, Morata is younger and comes from Real Madrid, so that probably played a role in the price. Yes, Lyon probably could have got a bit more for Lacazette in this market, but probably not £15 million more, as you have suggested above.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45969 on: July 23, 2017, 11:42:59 pm »
Still seems adamant he's staying, from Arsenal.com

Before he left China on Saturday night, Arsene Wenger had one final media duty to fulfil - a chat with newspaper reporters.

Alexis was the main subject - as he has often been at press conferences on tour - and here’s what the boss said about the latest speculation.

on if he thinks Alexis is in Paris…
No, I don’t think so.

on the French media claiming Alexis has been in Paris…
I read L’Equipe in the last three or four days. It has moved from Sanchez to Neymar. Today they speak about Neymar, three days ago they speak about Alexis. They need as well, like you [reporters], subjects.

on PSG surely not being able to sign Neymar and Alexis…
No. They cannot get Sanchez so they go for Neymar.

on if he’s adamant that Alexis will be an Arsenal player on August 31 and if his mind could change…
No, my mind has been made up for a while now.

on if he needs to make that stance…
I think I made it clear a few times.

on whether Alexis has specifically asked to leave Arsenal…
No.

on the club being in a different situation to 2011 or 2012…
We are in a strong financial situation. So we want to keep our best players. You can see that there is a fight everywhere to get top players.

on whether he expects to move any players on - such as Kieran Gibbs…
There are talks, yes. There is contact but we are not close.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #45970 on: July 24, 2017, 12:18:48 am »
You definitely wouldn't put it past Alexis to raise hell if necessary to get his way. For a while his demeanour was 'I'm bigger than Arsenal' anyway. Wenger can say whatever he wants but if Alexis becomes determined to leave he will make the situation so untenable that Arsenal won't have a choice. It would have been a totally different case if the contract situation gave Arsenal at least a bit of leverage.

Given his age you could understand the urgency on his part to go to a CL club to try to win it.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45971 on: July 24, 2017, 09:10:25 am »
You definitely wouldn't put it past Alexis to raise hell if necessary to get his way. For a while his demeanour was 'I'm bigger than Arsenal' anyway. Wenger can say whatever he wants but if Alexis becomes determined to leave he will make the situation so untenable that Arsenal won't have a choice. It would have been a totally different case if the contract situation gave Arsenal at least a bit of leverage.

Given his age you could understand the urgency on his part to go to a CL club to try to win it.

He's had a bad attitude all season and was still comfortably our best player. South Americans seem to have  the ability to go on the head while their feet  still dazzle.
I just want the season to start , it's been far too long this break, tired of tennis, pre season friendlies and having to pretend that women's football means anything.
At least we start on the Friday, one day before everyone else.

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #45972 on: July 24, 2017, 04:10:28 pm »
Antalyaspor in talks with Arsenal over a deal for Wilshere?

What a fall from grace that is! Was sure he would end up at a Swansea/West Ham type Club.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45973 on: July 24, 2017, 08:44:17 pm »
Antalyaspor in talks with Arsenal over a deal for Wilshere?

What a fall from grace that is! Was sure he would end up at a Swansea/West Ham type Club.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind playing my football and earning my millions here ...

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #45974 on: July 24, 2017, 08:49:30 pm »
Aren't ciggies relatively cheap in Turkey too? Puff away, Jack. Puff away.
AHA!

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45975 on: July 25, 2017, 10:20:46 am »
If they hold onto Sanchez and get Lemar along with Lacazette and Kolasinac they will challenge for title.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45976 on: July 25, 2017, 05:03:01 pm »
If they hold onto Sanchez and get Lemar along with Lacazette and Kolasinac they will challenge for title.

You know we ll never do that, if Lemar comes in, Sanchez goes. Its the Arsenal way, always 1 player short.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45977 on: July 25, 2017, 10:31:53 pm »

Even if we do somehow manage that, i feel we might be short in midfield, we have the numbers but not necessarily the quality.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45978 on: July 26, 2017, 09:53:32 am »
You know we ll never do that, if Lemar comes in, Sanchez goes. Its the Arsenal way, always 1 player short.

To be honest out of all the players that moved this summer, the one I can't work out why we weren't involved in was Kolasinac. Great signing on paper and risk free for you. After Matip success I'm surprised we didn't try again. Everyone tells me Robertson was great price at £10m yes he's on low wages but still over the contract length Kolasinac will be cheaper.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:57:58 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45979 on: July 26, 2017, 10:22:26 am »
To be honest out of all the players that moved this summer, the one I can't work out why we weren't involved in was Kolasinac. Great signing on paper and risk free for you. After Matip success I'm surprised we didn't try again. Everyone tells me Robertson was great price at £10m yes he's on low wages but still over the contract length Kolasinac will be cheaper.

Not necessarily, Kolasinac will have been given a signing on fee that wasn't reported (ditto for Matip), I wouldn't be surprised if he costs more than Robertson in combined fees and wages.

Also Klopp may just not have wanted him.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #45980 on: July 26, 2017, 12:04:16 pm »
Not necessarily, Kolasinac will have been given a signing on fee that wasn't reported (ditto for Matip), I wouldn't be surprised if he costs more than Robertson in combined fees and wages.

Also Klopp may just not have wanted him.

I'm pretty sure he would. He is going to be one one hell of a wage there. 

The Kolasinac thing has been done to death. There could be many reasons Liverpool where not interested from not thinking he's suitable style wise to this team, to being worried about that bad injury he had, or to just not thinking he's that good.

Or it could be that they where intersted, but he wasn't, or they couldn't / wouldn't compete with the wages / bonuses he was offered at Arsenal.

We'll never know though :D

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45981 on: July 26, 2017, 03:43:23 pm »
I'm pretty sure he would. He is going to be one one hell of a wage there. 

The Kolasinac thing has been done to death. There could be many reasons Liverpool where not interested from not thinking he's suitable style wise to this team, to being worried about that bad injury he had, or to just not thinking he's that good.

Or it could be that they where intersted, but he wasn't, or they couldn't / wouldn't compete with the wages / bonuses he was offered at Arsenal.

We'll never know though :D

Maybe his wife wanted the London shopping, like Sanchez.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45982 on: July 26, 2017, 03:52:11 pm »
Maybe his wife wanted the London shopping, like Sanchez.

indeed  :D

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45983 on: July 26, 2017, 04:29:29 pm »
Kolasinic is rumoured to be on around £140k p/w. There is no way Klopp would've sanctioned that level of wage for someone to compete with Milner, especially when Milner is on similar money.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45984 on: July 26, 2017, 04:54:49 pm »
Compete with a winger, turned CM, turned auxillary left back?

I thought it was expected you pay more when you have no actual transfer fee attached.  Even if you assume 100k pw, 40k per week difference is 2m per year.  On a 5 year contract we aren't talking more than a player would have cost up front.

By that logic you'll probably have spent more on Moreno.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45985 on: July 26, 2017, 05:02:55 pm »
Why aren't they interested in van Dijk..? Seem's like he would suit them.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45986 on: July 26, 2017, 05:14:22 pm »
Why aren't they interested in van Dijk..? Seem's like he would suit them.

Im guessing the price, 60m is a lot of money to us, especially on a defender.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45987 on: July 26, 2017, 05:32:10 pm »
Im guessing the price, 60m is a lot of money to us, especially on a defender.

60m, for a defender?  Arsene's got a nose bleed already.

I thought we were selling defenders this transfer window, too, with Jenkinson, Gibbs and Chambers all on their way out.  A shame for Chambers especially as I quite like him.

Most important signing we could make is a quality CM, I'd like to see a bid put in for Keita.  Wilshere rumours over him joining West Ham, however he seems to limit himself to a move within London and his high wages limits where he needs to go.  Think it's about we let him move on, and I've been one of his more vocal supporters over the years.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45988 on: July 26, 2017, 05:37:17 pm »
60 mill is mad, but then again, so was 35 mill for Mustafi :D

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45989 on: July 26, 2017, 06:00:41 pm »
60 mill is mad, but then again, so was 35 mill for Mustafi :D

I just think of him as two Alberto Aquilanis and the pain goes away.

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45990 on: July 26, 2017, 06:10:22 pm »

Hey, there's only one Alberto Aquilani! With his sad, brooding eyes and permanent Doctor's Note.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45991 on: July 26, 2017, 06:11:56 pm »

you had to go that far back? Two Stewart Downings more like   :-[

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45992 on: July 26, 2017, 06:27:32 pm »
Mustafi no longer looks overpriced, when full backs are costing 50m. He ll soon look like a bargain.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #45993 on: July 26, 2017, 06:52:09 pm »
Overpriced is a silly concept, I don't understand why fans get arsey and moralistic about it in the first place.

Would you rather overspend by 20 million to fill a gap in the team/squad that can help you win a trophy, or would you rather Kroenke extract 20 million extra dividends from the club? 

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45994 on: July 26, 2017, 07:14:00 pm »
Overpriced is a silly concept, I don't understand why fans get arsey and moralistic about it in the first place.

Would you rather overspend by 20 million to fill a gap in the team/squad that can help you win a trophy, or would you rather Kroenke extract 20 million extra dividends from the club?

If we have the money id want us to spend it, but even very rich football clubs have a limit on what they can spend. Id rather spend 60m on Lamar than Van Dijk, obviously id love both, and Mbappe, Neymar too, but fans see what the likes of Man city are spending and incorrectly assume that any club can spend 200m every window because the premier league is rich.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45995 on: July 26, 2017, 09:23:10 pm »
Overpriced is not so much a silly concept as it is a moving target.

Most years you get a steady increment from the previous one, but every few you instead get a larger jump so it is perfectly possible for a player like Mustafi to have been overpriced at 35m last season even if that same player would now be getting overpriced at 45-50m instead this season.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45996 on: July 26, 2017, 09:41:58 pm »
Overpriced is not so much a silly concept as it is a moving target.

Most years you get a steady increment from the previous one, but every few you instead get a larger jump so it is perfectly possible for a player like Mustafi to have been overpriced at 35m last season even if that same player would now be getting overpriced at 45-50m instead this season.

The price is only moving one way, and its not down, now there is talk of 150m players, and no is batting an eye lid.

Offline Antex

• Main Stander
« Reply #45997 on: July 28, 2017, 08:06:41 pm »

Seen it over and over again. One side of me hopes that the so called "new direction" doesn't allow it to fuck us up again but the other side wants that petulant child Sanchez gone. I was sad when Fabregas left, annoyed with Nasri and Adebayor, Henry & especially RVP but if we can get a good fee for Sanchez, I won't be mad at all if we spend it on the likes of Lemar. His childish "sick selfish smilies" that he posted instead of showing up for training are annoying me to bits. It reminds me of what Gallas displayed after I believe Clichy gave up a penalty years ago. There's a difference between being mad at mediocrity around you like Keane and annoying characters like him and Gallas. At this point I don't care if he goes or stays as long as there's quality players invested back into the team.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45998 on: July 29, 2017, 12:48:02 pm »
Emirates Cup this weekend. Heard a wee rumour we were going to arrange Ray Parlour to take Ralf Ragnick and Naby Keita out in Islington tonight for a few Strongbows and Jagerbombs to lay the groundwork of a Keita deal materialising. Heard we were willing to throw in Debuchy and Gibbs as part of the deal,obviously Leipzig would need to put money towards that.  :-X

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #45999 on: July 29, 2017, 01:43:00 pm »
Crywank alert: RB Leipzig v Sevilla  live on Quest (!) ....2.00pm
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.