Author Topic: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread  (Read 4007451 times)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Re: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread - Over 1000 Pages of Wisdom For Young Uns!
« Reply #42200 on: August 2, 2018, 10:46:02 pm »
My 7 yr old grandson asked me what happens when we die.

I've always thought of life as a balloon.

Vibrant and full of …. well... life for a period.

At some point it bursts and that life is free to join the universe in all its infinity, while the mortal coil (no I didn't say that, softshite) falls to earth and becomes firmament.

A coupla days ago I read about a funeral director named Alison Howarth, who espoused this theory in 1994.  He also made the observation of wrinkling and cleverly, of the more life, the bigger balloon.

More here: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02682629508657360?journalCode=rber20
Kill the humourless

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #42201 on: August 3, 2018, 09:41:36 am »
Good read, that, jambutty
... and a little nod to bowlbys work on attachment too

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #42202 on: August 5, 2018, 01:59:06 am »
I've ducked and dived in my life. Had a few scrapes, won some, lost some. Never complained, just got on with it, as you do.

One constant in my life, save for family and the few close friends I have, has been the redmen. It is joyous, it is painful, it is never dull.

Shankly is my hero, Kenny a close second and Souey 3rd (I have forgiven him, thousands wouldn't). I started going the game on me own in 1969. I'm reminded I went earlier, with me da, sat on a barrier, blah, blah, blah......but, to be honest, I barely remember, save for the pre match pint he had with family and friends before the game where there was loads of laughing. I remember that. And the bottle of lemmo and the obligatory, ready salted.

I love Klopp. He's right up my street, as Kenny was. No better compliment from me. I just watched three recent press conferences, back to back, for something to do, cos I'm becoming obsessed with coaching and tactics and personality and character and will to win and something to prove, on and off the pitch.

Klopp, Guardiola and Sarri were the three. Firstly, I marvel at their nous in speaking so eloquently in their second language. To have the discipline and desire to convert your ideas into a foreign language and communicate it clearly as to what you want speaks volumes.

I was engaged throughout. These guys eat, sleep and drink the game and love to share it through the media. It is obvious they have no love for the guys at the pressers but they use it to converse with the wider audience, the fans, the people, whatever. I like Sarri. Don't write Chelsea off.

I get cross with the know alls and the football manager types with their whimsy and whinging. I should know better. I bear no grudge. I just post when I shouldn't sometimes but, fuck it, I love the reds. I'm rose tinted, old school, arl arse, I don't choose to ridicule, or give stick to anyone trying their best for our club and I get pissed off when some posters pontificate and prattle on. I should ignore.

I only come on this forum cos it is frequented by top heads. They far outnumber the others; diverse, intelligent, mad, funny, the lot.

So, Jurgen. I can't get enough of him. Not felt like this since Shanks. I consume him daily. Try to analyse him, think like him, cos, like millions of others, we believe in him. Smart guy, with principles. He is a football fan, first and foremost. He knows what the fan wants. Second, he is ambitious. Liverpool is the club where he can fulfil those ambitions. He knows that. We know that. Let's crack on.

Put this in here where it belongs.
Inspired by Gulley

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #42203 on: August 5, 2018, 09:15:55 am »
I've ducked and dived in my life. Had a few scrapes, won some, lost some. Never complained, just got on with it, as you do.

One constant in my life, save for family and the few close friends I have, has been the redmen. It is joyous, it is painful, it is never dull . . . .

Bobby, it could have been me writing this same stuff - but , as you'll know very well, for a different club of course. . . . .

Shanks is one of my heroes also. Loved the man's humour, his morality, his principles, his loyalty and his politics. In terms of what he brought to the great game that once belonged to us, sadly no more, I rank him alongside his great friend Matt Busby in how they stood up to the establishment and argued and fought for the way the game ought to be played and ought to be run.  Their inspiration and vision changed generations of fans - and not only United and Liverpool fans either. Their reach and their influence extended far beyond their own clubs. Greats of the game.

In respect of Klopp, I believe he has some of that same enthusiastic infectious energy that rings very similar bells with me. Maybe more effusively delivered ( certainly than quietly-spoken Matt's gentler words of wisdom that's for sure!) but I see and feel Klopp has that synergy, that way of speaking that naturally connects with fans. I wanted Klopp to come to United - would have loved to see his display of the passion he feels for the game and which he delivers before, during and after the game. I "get" him during interviews with the media - always he shows he gives a shit and more often that not he delivers it with a sense of humour that's contagious. And given that he's German and they are supposed to be cold and calculating, it's great to see a fella that has humour, that has charisma and it's there for all to see and feel.

I have no time whatsoever for the miserable Portugueser down the road because he invariably demonstrates he has no real love of or FOR the game. He continually demonstrates that he loves himself above all else and there's nowt down - EVER - for that in my book.

Anyway, until he's sacked/binned or however gone from my club, I have little interest in United's fortunes except for those that can never be shaken off after 66 years a fan!

So I wish you well for the coming season. That might sound strange coming from a 72 year old United fan but it really isn't rocket science. I think when a club - any club - is managed by a bloke who cares and who shows the fans that he cares and he doesn't give a flying shite who knows it, something good, exciting and fiercely connected begins to happen. Trophies often follow not far behind . . . .

much as I love Klopp and the identification he shows the fans he has with their hopes and their dreams, I wouldn't want you to come to OT and win!!
Tarra for now mate!!
« Last Edit: August 5, 2018, 12:40:21 pm by JohnnoWhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42204 on: August 5, 2018, 11:38:07 am »

much as I love Klopp and the identification he shows the fans he has with their hopes and their dreams, I wouldn't want you to come to OT and win!!
Will you settle for a draw?
Kill the humourless

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42205 on: August 5, 2018, 12:38:11 pm »
Behave ! Nothing less than a victory against Liverpool would satisfy me my mate! If it HAS been worked for and well-earned of course and never at the cost of entertaining football. Both Matt and Bill urged their teams to "Go out and entertain/make the people happy". That'll always do for me.

Hate this bus-parking I do. It would never have done for Matt or Shanks to have set out to squeak a boring stalemate so I consider myself fortunate indeed to bracket myself with the same philosophy as those two so very reverenced greats.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42206 on: August 9, 2018, 03:13:40 pm »
Just got this off a Yank mate, thought it might be of interest to some of yiz.

Dear Dad,
Your struggle is over now and you can rest easy.  Thank you for a lifetime of inspiration, encouragement and unconditional love.  In your own humble and unassuming way you showed us the humility of a true hero. As a child I had little sense or awareness of your own journey.  I had no idea that as a rifleman in the Armed Forces, you were captured in the fall of 1944. You were among a handful of solders that were taken prisoner when a grenade tossed by German soldiers into the basement you were hiding in failed to detonate. You were force marched and physically abused by your captors, who would hit you with a stick, a strap and their rifle butts, and encouraged others to pelt you with rocks as you marched.  You were then herded into a locked, overcrowded cattle car, with little or no food, no water, and no provisions for sanitation.  In October of that year you reached Stalag 12A in Limberg, Germany.  After a month, you were transferred to Stalag 2B in Hammerstein, Germany, where you were held until January, 1945.  On the 25th of January, you were dispatched with other POWs on a forced march out of Hammerstein in the snow, in the dead of night.  You marched for weeks on end, exposed to the bitter snow and elements in one of Europe’s harshest winters on record, taking refuge at night in barns and other makeshift shelter.  You marched through Stuggart, Stettin, Lubeck and Hamberg, before being marched back to Rostock, where you were finally liberated by the Russians on May 8, 1945

In civilian life, you found happiness with mom and started a family.  You role modeled the strong work ethic that all three of your sons strived to emulate, working two jobs, seven days a week for many years.  You seldom spoke of your war time experiences, but as you entered your sixties you found new purpose by volunteering at the Veterans Administration and being a member in several POW associations.

In your later years you were content being surrounded by family, friends and simple pleasures like the comforts of home cooking or taking the sun in your garden.  And while your interests over the past decade appeared to be simple, your path in early life was anything but.  You deserved every one of those simple pleasures, those down to earth and uncomplicated moments.   While the cruelest of all diseases robbed you of your memory, your agility and eventually, your dignity, it couldn’t possibly erase the selfless contribution that you made to mankind, doing your part to ensure our freedoms.   Your place in the greatest generation is secured for all time.
Godspeed, ‘Zee’ – with all of our love.
Kill the humourless

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42207 on: August 9, 2018, 04:36:35 pm »
Jambutty, there's little or nothing to add to such a magnificent tribute to one's father, my own father cruelly succumbed to that horrible disease. I felt and still feel the debt and the sacrifice offered by that great generation, Christ, I could weep when I read such things and see how selfish, ignorant bare faced liars turn today's world (that can offer so many opportunities and possibilities) upside down, that generation deserves to be out of this whole sorry mess after the rewards they they fought to bestow on us.
Such posts help realign my thoughts when I maybe forget how lucky I am. No doubt Jonno will eloquently add his 'two pennorth' to this.
Thanks jambutty.
When in Rome...

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42208 on: August 9, 2018, 08:38:18 pm »
We remember all of those from both within and outside our immediate families who endured the unendurable in two world wars so that we might ever prevail against barbarism. On my mam's side of the family, her mother my nin, was a Keelan raised in Ancoats Manchester (Little Ireland). The Keelans were a big clan stemming originally from Belfast and comprised 6 sons and 4 daughters.                                       
Nin's mother was a Ryan, also originally from the Emerald Isle and also a biggish clan of 3 sons and 3 daughters. WW1 claimed 60% of the Keelan brothers and 66% of the Ryan brothers. Tommy the last of the Ryan brothers came back from the horrors of those French butchering trenches a bumbling, terror-struck wreck of a man who would dive under the kitchen table whenever it thundered. Nin's dad Corporal James Patrick Keelan of the 2nd Manchester Regiment fell on the 1st July 1916 on the Somme along with his brothers-in-law Michael and Bernard Ryan. James Keelan's body was never found and his name is carved into the enormous monument to the fallen of the Somme at Thiepval in northern France.What a place of terrible poignancy Thiepval is. I couldn't believe that 76,000 are commemorated there British and French alike - so very moving to have been there. The other Keelan dead were if memory still serves me right Peter, Kevin and Michael. All of the Keelans in the Manchester area even if today's Keelans don't know it, are tied by blood as well as by name.                                                                                                      We today owe those long-gone heroes, because that's what they were and ever will remain, an unbelievable debt of gratitude for the levels of sacrifice made. I could go on into my Dad's side the White's also originally from Skerries in Co Dublin where at least two of the 4 sons fell in Egypt and one in France. This story could be repeated verbatim throughout thousands of families - just need change the names to suit. What an absolute tragedy that the flower of an entire generation - and indeed dads and uncles of entire close-knit families were disappeared in one fell swoop. For all of them and to all of them a heartfelt belated thank you. The saddest footnote is that one generation later, more young heroes emulated their long dead fathers once more. May their sacrifice be always remembered and their names honoured.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42209 on: August 10, 2018, 01:10:50 am »
So, we reminisce.

Assuming we all grew up in and around Liverpool, what are some arl dead Scouse expressions that you refuse to let die?

Mine is "Act soft and I'll buy you a coalyard."

None of mine get it, but they know what I mean.

It is to larf.
Kill the humourless

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42210 on: August 10, 2018, 01:27:11 am »
Bobby, it could have been me writing this same stuff - but , as you'll know very well, for a different club of course. . . . .

Shanks is one of my heroes also. Loved the man's humour, his morality, his principles, his loyalty and his politics. In terms of what he brought to the great game that once belonged to us, sadly no more, I rank him alongside his great friend Matt Busby in how they stood up to the establishment and argued and fought for the way the game ought to be played and ought to be run.  Their inspiration and vision changed generations of fans - and not only United and Liverpool fans either. Their reach and their influence extended far beyond their own clubs. Greats of the game.

In respect of Klopp, I believe he has some of that same enthusiastic infectious energy that rings very similar bells with me. Maybe more effusively delivered ( certainly than quietly-spoken Matt's gentler words of wisdom that's for sure!) but I see and feel Klopp has that synergy, that way of speaking that naturally connects with fans. I wanted Klopp to come to United - would have loved to see his display of the passion he feels for the game and which he delivers before, during and after the game. I "get" him during interviews with the media - always he shows he gives a shit and more often that not he delivers it with a sense of humour that's contagious. And given that he's German and they are supposed to be cold and calculating, it's great to see a fella that has humour, that has charisma and it's there for all to see and feel.

I have no time whatsoever for the miserable Portugueser down the road because he invariably demonstrates he has no real love of or FOR the game. He continually demonstrates that he loves himself above all else and there's nowt down - EVER - for that in my book.

Anyway, until he's sacked/binned or however gone from my club, I have little interest in United's fortunes except for those that can never be shaken off after 66 years a fan!

So I wish you well for the coming season. That might sound strange coming from a 72 year old United fan but it really isn't rocket science. I think when a club - any club - is managed by a bloke who cares and who shows the fans that he cares and he doesn't give a flying shite who knows it, something good, exciting and fiercely connected begins to happen. Trophies often follow not far behind . . . .

Tarra for now mate!!

Johnno, mate, you've always been a credit to your club on here, my friend. I can tell you, I have never been as excited by a team since the 80's. I have been resurrected and it's boss. He is boss, he is the boss. Back in the early 70's, I adored the club and I adored Bill. I have that same feeling now with this fellah, Jurgen.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:15:54 am by vivabobbygraham »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42211 on: August 10, 2018, 01:31:19 am »
So, we reminisce.

Assuming we all grew up in and around Liverpool, what are some arl dead Scouse expressions that you refuse to let die?

Mine is "Act soft and I'll buy you a coalyard."

None of mine get it, but they know what I mean.

It is to larf.

Get 'ome, yer ma's got cakes

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42212 on: August 11, 2018, 04:20:14 pm »
Thick as pigshit.

Or two short planks.
Kill the humourless

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42213 on: August 11, 2018, 08:35:04 pm »
Yer'll be laughing on the other side of yer face
When in Rome...

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #42214 on: August 12, 2018, 11:55:33 pm »
And on such a good and happy evening, it seems likely we may have a few more joining in this thread soon...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45143895

Seems like they are going to lower the entrance age to 50 for the delightful and great catch your turds and using a lollypop stick smear a bit of them in the advent calendar window game that some of us have been having to do these last few years.

Despite jokes about it though, it's for the best.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42215 on: August 13, 2018, 05:31:00 pm »
Johnno, mate, you've always been a credit to your club on here, my friend. I can tell you, I have never been as excited by a team since the 80's. I have been resurrected and it's boss. He is boss, he is the boss. Back in the early 70's, I adored the club and I adored Bill. I have that same now with this fellah, Jurgen.
Agree on both counts. Johnno and Jurgen
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42216 on: August 23, 2018, 02:47:12 pm »
Eh up, I'm not dead, just yet. I only popped in to let off steam, and there's no point in ranting at the converted. But Great British Justice, eh.

What the fuck, the evidence wasn't enough to bring a prosecution. No, but it would have brought a guilty, if 12 ordinary people had been allowed to hear what that c*nt done.

I'm sick of saying, that books near done in here. But it is. And why it's took so long, is explained in there. I just couldn't wallow in that dirt all the time.

I've spent four years now, studying all these "scandals." The dirty c*nts.

I'm off to Portsmouth on Saturday. Great day out, Paul Weller, Happy Mondays, Bill Bragg. Then I'm up in front of the DWP Inquisition, again, next week. I don't give a toss what they do. I'm still knackered. But I'm me old self. Fuck em. Iain Duncan Smith fiddled the dole. I'll go down punching.

Anyway, said more than I meant to. But I'll be back. I can't tell you lot fuck all. But don't ever let them crack yer. See yer soon. XX
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42217 on: August 23, 2018, 04:25:15 pm »
Bastards need getting rid of Leo. Know any descendants of Guy Fawkes by any chance mate?? Stay well brother.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42218 on: August 23, 2018, 05:24:01 pm »
If only, eh, Johno.
To be honest, I'm beyond it all, now. I'll have this thing I'm doing finished soon. But I didn't even know, what was going on inside me for near 30 years. So, I'm in no rush. And I'll only get this one chance to throw a dig back. And, at best, that will do fuck all but bring me more grief. So, it'll be another month or so.

I knew you'd have answered. So, I popped back in, and I'll leave you with one of Joseph Goebels little gems...
"The more we do to you people, the less you believe what we're doing to you."

Not the nicest fella, but he did have a point. Fuck'em. I can't wait to see Paul Weller. He's the image of my Aunty Molly, nowadays. Keep laughing brother.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42219 on: August 23, 2018, 07:26:59 pm »
Good to see you two bouncing off each other again. I'm at the stage of disbelief, I really can't fathom out how we got where we are now, never mind that we've got cold blooded killers ruining the fuckin' place. The smear campaign to discredit Corbyn and smash working people is relentless. I just hope something turns up to put an end to all this crap.
When in Rome...

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42220 on: August 23, 2018, 08:53:02 pm »
That'll be the revolution Keith lad . . . . starts a week next Tuesday so don't be planning any soiree's or bridge evenings then eh or you'll miss it!!  :P :P :P

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42221 on: August 24, 2018, 11:09:50 am »

One constant in my life, save for family and the few close friends I have, has been the redmen. It is joyous, it is painful, it is never dull.

Shankly is my hero, Kenny a close second and Souey 3rd (I have forgiven him, thousands wouldn't). I started going the game on me own in 1969. I'm reminded I went earlier, with me da, sat on a barrier, blah, blah, blah......but, to be honest, I barely remember, save for the pre match pint he had with family and friends before the game where there was loads of laughing. I remember that. And the bottle of lemmo and the obligatory, ready salted.

I love Klopp. He's right up my street, as Kenny was. No better compliment from me. I just watched three recent press conferences, back to back, for something to do, cos I'm becoming obsessed with coaching and tactics and personality and character and will to win and something to prove, on and off the pitch.

Klopp, Guardiola and Sarri were the three. Firstly, I marvel at their nous in speaking so eloquently in their second language. To have the discipline and desire to convert your ideas into a foreign language and communicate it clearly as to what you want speaks volumes.

I was engaged throughout. These guys eat, sleep and drink the game and love to share it through the media. It is obvious they have no love for the guys at the pressers but they use it to converse with the wider audience, the fans, the people, whatever. I like Sarri. Don't write Chelsea off.

I get cross with the know alls and the football manager types with their whimsy and whinging. I should know better. I bear no grudge. I just post when I shouldn't sometimes but, fuck it, I love the reds. I'm rose tinted, old school, arl arse, I don't choose to ridicule, or give stick to anyone trying their best for our club and I get pissed off when some posters pontificate and prattle on. I should ignore.

I only come on this forum cos it is frequented by top heads. They far outnumber the others; diverse, intelligent, mad, funny, the lot.

So, Jurgen. I can't get enough of him. Not felt like this since Shanks. I consume him daily. Try to analyse him, think like him, cos, like millions of others, we believe in him. Smart guy, with principles. He is a football fan, first and foremost. He knows what the fan wants. Second, he is ambitious. Liverpool is the club where he can fulfil those ambitions. He knows that. We know that. Let's crack on.

Inspired by Gulley

Read this last night - fantastic post and sums up lots of my feelings too. I was just a bit too young to fully appreciate Shankly but was brought up on a rich diet of stories about him from my family who lived around West Derby.
I was always a lurker on here, but the one thing that motivated me to start posting was when I sensed there being a bit too much noise questioning Klopp from the "know alls" that you mentioned. Personally, I could see early on that he represented our best chance of getting back to where we all want to be - and for our own to start undermining him would be playing into the hands of those that want to see us fail.

Finally, in my years of lurking I've seen loads of posts from Jonno who I hope doesn't mind me saying is a credit to proper United fans. 3 of my mates that I've known for over 20 years each are similar and we've never ever fallen out due to football. We take the piss, we want each other to lose, but we're all too aware of how similar our clubs and cultures are. I can't stand the bile that exists among some fans and the depths some will go to in order to score points.

I'm early 50's, do I qualify?

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42222 on: August 24, 2018, 02:16:20 pm »
That'll do for me Charlie - all day long mate. Think your qualification is more than exemplified by your post so from this auld arse anyroad, you are more than welcome to come aboard.

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42223 on: September 6, 2018, 07:01:15 pm »
Back to page 1
When in Rome...

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42224 on: September 7, 2018, 03:45:33 am »
Back to page 1

Go 'ed, lad. Spoiler alert......it's boss!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #42225 on: September 7, 2018, 08:57:30 pm »
That'll be the revolution Keith lad . . . . starts a week next Tuesday so don't be planning any soiree's or bridge evenings then eh or you'll miss it!!  :P :P :P

Can we start the week after i want to watch some Cricket on Tuesday?

On another point I always look forward to FS's posts Leo always has my attention as does Jonno they dont make like them two anymore.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #42226 on: September 7, 2018, 09:14:16 pm »

Inspired by Gulley

Every word mate..just beautiful,this type of stuff is what makes this thread the best on Rawk.
..and yep Johnno,credit to your club & also a credit to this thread too.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42227 on: September 7, 2018, 10:10:19 pm »
I feel about this place as might a young kid whose fell over and as we say in Mancland, scrawped his knees on the gravel and runs home to his Mam to get some Germolene on it to make it feel better. This thread can be a crazy and off the wall place and we all of us can - rare though it might be - sometimes spout bollux but what a lovely lovely place to come and find a little "Germolene"! In the words of the John Denver song it's both a "resting place and a shelter from the storm." And long may it flourish comrades.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #42228 on: September 7, 2018, 10:27:23 pm »
I feel about this place as might a young kid whose fell over and as we say in Mancland, scrawped his knees on the gravel and runs home to his Mam to get some Germolene on it to make it feel better. This thread can be a crazy and off the wall place and we all of us can - rare though it might be - sometimes spout bollux but what a lovely lovely place to come and find a little "Germolene"! In the words of the John Denver song it's both a "resting place and a shelter from the storm." And long may it flourish comrades.

Germolene - I haven't thought about the smell of that smeared on my knees and hands for nearly 60 years.

If my memory serves me right it was pink and came in a small, flat tin.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42229 on: September 7, 2018, 11:08:16 pm »
You're right mate it IS pink but today it comes in a squeezy tube. Still wobble and fall occasionally now - and I'm 72 - and have to go and hunt in the drawer for the pink stuff . . . Sadly no Mam around to rub it on these days though  :'( :'(

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #42230 on: September 8, 2018, 12:33:09 am »
Bit of sad news tonight down here....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-45450278

He's likely not too well known outside of Devon though he did have a show on BBC SW that may have been networked,  but Johnny Kingdom died today in an all too common machinery accident that happens in rural areas, often unreported outside of any local news, when the excavator he was operating appears to have toppled over.

I'd bumped into him on two occasions, last time just 18 months ago at Tiverton Parkway station and he was very down to earth and very approachable, and on each occasion I had a really good chat with him. He was a real larger than life character, full of enthusiasm for Exmoor and its wildlife and comfortable living it rough out on the moor when required (a sort of Ray Mears in many respects) and as far as I know he had also become quite anti hunt in his later years, or at least not vocally pro hunt much to the annoyance of some around here.

He'd had many odd jobs over the years to make ends meet, including poaching, but ended up making some acclaimed wildlife videos of Exmoor, and for an untrained amateur, he undoubtedly had a way of getting really near to the subject matter and producing some fascinating close up footage.

In another era he'd possibly have been recruited to be a sniper with his ability to get up close to things undetected.

I'm grateful that I met the man.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42231 on: September 8, 2018, 01:51:25 am »
Sad news Gulley, I thought all plant had to have roll over protections bars now?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #42232 on: September 8, 2018, 07:52:39 am »
Sad news Gulley, I thought all plant had to have roll over protections bars now?

Yes John, I think all plant operated by construction companies or trade hire have to have them or reinforced cabs, but I suspect it was his own digger and probably an older model that was without such modern safety features.

I've seen quite large capacity tracked bucket excavators for around 5-15k though with high hours on them and depending on their condition, usually near the end of their useful life at that price with tracks and shear mechanisms a bit wobbly and worn but fine for the odd bit of light trenching and such.

He'd be just the sort of guy to do that.

I know he'd constructed a large pond, a good few acres in size, on his land a few years ago to attract birds and he hoped otters too in order to film them and I remember seeing a clip of him using what I assume was possibly the same digger on one of his TV programmes when he was doing it.

Perhaps he was doing some maintenance like dredging on it.

He was also getting on a bit, at 79, to be using such heavy machinery so he may well have suffered a heart attack when the thing unbalanced and rolled.

Being an independent sort of guy I also expect he was doing it all on his own and sadly then lay there for a while before anyone noticed.

Still, active right to the end and he went while doing his own thing.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42233 on: September 15, 2018, 04:26:52 pm »
Went to see 'Let it Be' the Beatles concert you wished to see, it was really good and the first half was a run through the career in sections  with highlights such as Cavern stuff and Beatlemania, Shea stadium, Sergeant Pepper, and then the last gig on the roof.

Second half was an imagined concert were they get back together for a concert for John's 40th birthday.

So we had all in individual stuff from all four, Wings, Imagine, My Sweet Lord etc and a few memorable later Beatles tracks never performed live , even though not the originals of course the four playing them were dam good musicians in their own right, My missus and I really enjoyed the 2-30 hours spent in the Concert Hall,
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42234 on: September 16, 2018, 03:20:39 am »
The best Beatles experience currently available is without a doubt the "Love" show in Vegas.

The custom built theatre will be showing it forever, it's that good.

I've now seen it 5 times, every time I go to Vegas and it appears fresh and new even though it's not.

Here's a 10 year old thread on the subject.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=133018.msg2103735#msg2103735
Kill the humourless

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42235 on: September 17, 2018, 06:06:19 pm »
Loved - and still love - the Beatles. They push Queen into my 2nd spot. My 2 very favourites followed in 3rd place by John Denver. Yeah I know, I remain an' old softie at heart . . . I'm proud to say . . .

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42236 on: September 18, 2018, 06:51:07 pm »
Cant really look past The Beatles as the greatest of them all but personally think ABBA come in as second due to the fact that their music also appealed to all ages. Queen were a great band without any doubt with the ultimate showman fronting them. I've always been a Bowie fan and still enjoy listening to his stuff.
When in Rome...

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42237 on: September 19, 2018, 08:25:12 pm »
Watched King of Thieves on Monday not bad at all, based on the hatton garden robbery that the old lags did, lots of decent and funny observations about old age when the likes of Ray Winston, Tom Courtney and Michael Caine get together and obviously based on a true story.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42238 on: September 23, 2018, 03:28:16 pm »
Libpool, Libpool, Top of the League!

Fuck off Chelsea FC!

:scarf :champ
Kill the humourless

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42239 on: September 23, 2018, 11:57:45 pm »
Loved - and still love - the Beatles. They push Queen into my 2nd spot. My 2 very favourites followed in 3rd place by John Denver. Yeah I know, I remain an' old softie at heart . . . I'm proud to say . . .
Try Viagra John.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40