Author Topic: Who was the best: The 70s or the 80s team?  (Read 12031 times)

Offline Crazy horse rocks!

• Anny Roader
Re: Who was the best: The 70s or the 80s team?
« Reply #80 on: August 2, 2008, 12:06:39 am »
Souness wouldn't let the 70's team loose, Barnes would have to be slowed down.
We go again.

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack is the best defense.. btw we have both
« Reply #81 on: August 2, 2008, 12:13:40 am »
Souness wouldn't let the 70's team loose, Barnes would have to be slowed down.

LIVERPOOL 1978.

GK     Ray Clemence
DF     Phil Neal
DF     Phil Thompson
DF     Alan Hansen
MF     Ray Kennedy
DF     Emlyn Hughes (c)
FW     Kenny Dalglish
MF     Jimmy Case    
FW     David Fairclough
MF     Terry McDermott
MF     Graeme Souness

I rest my case :)  tough fkin team to beat.

edited coz I fkin forgot Phil Neal :(
« Last Edit: August 2, 2008, 12:16:51 am by Red_in_Holland »
Los Rojos Conquistadores
"It's good to have a challenge in training. If you play against one of the best strikers in the Premier League almost everyday, that can only help you when the game comes around each weekend."

Asked if he had worked out how to stop Torres, Hyypia added: "I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #82 on: August 2, 2008, 05:49:24 am »
LIVERPOOL 1978.                                         Liverpool 1988

GK     Ray Clemence                                     GK Bruce Grobblar
DF     Phil Neal                                            DF Steve Nichol
DF     Phil Thompson                                     DF Mark Lawrenson
DF     Alan Hansen                                        DF Alan Hansen
DF     E Hughes                                           DF Gary Gillespie
MF     Ray Kennedy                                       MF Johnnie Barnes                               
FW     Kenny Dalglish                                    FW Peter Beardsley
MF     Jimmy Case                                         MF Steve McMahon
FW     David Fairclough / Steve Heighway         FW John Aldridge
MF     Terry McDermott                                  MF Ray Houghton
MF     Graeme Souness                                 MF Ronnie Whelan

Actually when you list the two teams, head to head the '78 side was better side with 7 v 4 'better' players (Hansen being in both sides - but was a better player by 1988). When you consider the influence of the manager then they'd shade it too for me. If you consider the multiplier of the 'team' as being more than a sum of the parts then the '88 side attacked like no other Liverpool side I have ever seen in more than 35 years but the '78 side had so many captains in it they were at times a side that refused to lose a game of football.

If games are decided by match winners then I'd say Dalglish, Souness, Kennedy & Clemence would have just shaded it against Barnsie and Beardsley.

What a great thread this is and such a tough question.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2008, 09:49:53 am by Shanks1965 »
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
  • You are awful but I like you
« Reply #83 on: August 2, 2008, 08:20:56 am »
The 1978 team was better than the 1977 team. There is no question about this in my mind. The team of 1978 were the most ruthless team of all time.

The 1988 team were the most flamboyant Liverpool team of all time. What a side that was. The only thing about that team was the arse up in the Cup Final. The 1978 team wouldn't have lost that game.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #84 on: August 2, 2008, 10:06:38 am »

Thanks.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Aldridge 8

• Schizophrenic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: August 2, 2008, 10:14:39 am »
1987/1988 Team/Squad best team ever
1 Grobbelaar
2 Gillespie
3 Ablett
4 Nicol
5 whelan/spackman
6 Hansen
7 Beardsley
8 Aldridge
9 Houghton
10 Barnes
11 Mc mahon

others who played

Venison
Walsh
Lawrenson
Molby
Johnston
Hooper
Alex Watson
MacDonald
Wark
Dalglish
« Last Edit: August 2, 2008, 10:16:19 am by Aldridge 8 »

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #86 on: August 2, 2008, 01:10:25 pm »
LIVERPOOL 1978.                                         Liverpool 1988

GK     Ray Clemence                                     GK Bruce Grobblar
DF     Phil Neal                                            DF Steve Nichol
DF     Phil Thompson                                     DF Mark Lawrenson
DF     Alan Hansen                                        DF Alan Hansen
DF     E Hughes                                           DF Gary Gillespie
MF     Ray Kennedy                                       MF Johnnie Barnes                              
FW     Kenny Dalglish                                    FW Peter Beardsley
MF     Jimmy Case                                         MF Steve McMahon
FW     David Fairclough / Steve Heighway         FW John Aldridge
MF     Terry McDermott                                  MF Ray Houghton
MF     Graeme Souness                                 MF Ronnie Whelan

Actually when you list the two teams, head to head the '78 side was better side with 7 v 4 'better' players (Hansen being in both sides - but was a better player by 1988). When you consider the influence of the manager then they'd shade it too for me. If you consider the multiplier of the 'team' as being more than a sum of the parts then the '88 side attacked like no other Liverpool side I have ever seen in more than 35 years but the '78 side had so many captains in it they were at times a side that refused to lose a game of football.

If games are decided by match winners then I'd say Dalglish, Souness, Kennedy & Clemence would have just shaded it against Barnsie and Beardsley.

It's Nicol.... not Nichol!!!

Lawrenson barely played that season after picking up a freak achilles injury (running alone and just fell) the season before.

For me it is the 78-79 team who walked the league.

Our best ever midfield and three captains who raised the european cup.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 2, 2008, 01:19:53 pm »

Though they won less, the team from 85-90 (which could include Dalglish, Rush, Aldridge, Molby, Hansen, Barnes, Beardsley etc) would beat the other sides.

85-90 for me. Even without Kenny (for the majority), Souness and Clemence who'd have got into any side. Mind you they were responsible for me crying at least once a year!

85 lost the FA Cup semi to the mancs
86 lost the League Cup semi to QPR(?)
87 lost the League Cup final to Arsenal
88 lost the FA Cup final to Wimbledon (it still hurts!)
89 lost the League in the final minute to Arsenal
90 lost the FA Cup semi to Palace

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #88 on: August 2, 2008, 06:44:34 pm »
It's Nicol.... not Nichol!!!

Lawrenson barely played that season after picking up a freak achilles injury (running alone and just fell) the season before.

For me it is the 78-79 team who walked the league.

Our best ever midfield and three captains who raised the european cup.

Yeah sorry about the spelling, not at my best at 5.49am. As for Lawro I was including the best players who played at that time as opposed to the actual regular first 11.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline lurgankop

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #89 on: August 3, 2008, 09:53:48 am »
I reckon it would have been 0-0. The 70s team would have kicked off and kept the ball for the entire 1st half, unable to  breach 80s team's defence. The roles would have been reversed in the second half  ;).

Don't remember much about the 70s team, so I would have to go for the 80s team that trounced Forest (2nd best team in the land at the time) 5-0. Remember watching it on sportsnight, the Wednesday evening, - total football.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2017, 11:17:12 pm »
Bump!

Its worth it ;)
Y.N.W.A.

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2017, 11:18:50 pm »
Both teams  ;D
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2017, 11:24:56 pm »
I'd have to think about this one.  :o
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2017, 11:40:31 pm »
So Kenny, Souness and Jocky are the 3 'givens' that make both teams, so it's a case of which of the remaining 8 are best?

80s would have included Barnes, Rush, Beardsley, Lawro, Nicol, Whelen
70s would have included Keegan, Heighway, Terry Mac, Clemence, Hughes, Case

Wasn't alive to see the 70s boys and was too young to properly judge the 80s boys, but on reputation alone I'm going for the 80s. Barnes and Rush FFS.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2017, 12:01:21 am »
Liverpool 1977-84

Liverpool won the European Cup five times, you know. It is worth remembering too that but for the tragic events surrounding the 1985 final in Brussels, and the subsequent ban on English clubs in Europe post-Heysel, the dominance Liverpool had achieved by the mid-eighties could easily have seen the trophy return to Merseyside on one or two more occasions. Uninterrupted by events away from the pitch, Liverpool might be up there with Madrid and Milan by now.

There is no doubt which was the most dramatic of the five finals. Liverpool's incredible comeback against Milan in Istanbul in 2005 was arguably the greatest feat of all, since the old competition for title winners had now been reorganised into the Champions League, and in the knockout stages alone Rafa Benítez's team had to account for teams of the stature of Bayer Leverkusen, Juventus and Chelsea.

Now the biggest teams in Europe compete against each other every year the going is tougher than it used to be, though it could be said that winning the English title was the toughest test of all. Liverpool would not even have been in the 2005 tournament under the old rules, since Arsenal were the 2004 English champions.

Either way, the miracle of Istanbul stands apart from the years when Liverpool first began to use Europe as a playground. Not only did they win the European Cup four times between 1977 and 1984, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa joined in on the act, so that in the eight-year period immediately prior to the Heysel ban, only Hamburg in 1983 managed to interrupt a golden period for English football.

Liverpool led the way in every sense, becoming only the second English side to lift the European Cup in Rome in 1977, repeating the achievement at Wembley a year later, and reaching the final on three more occasions in the next seven years.

The first success was probably the sweetest, and Liverpool players as well as supporters still have imperishable memories of the army of fans that accompanied the team to Rome and vastly outnumbered the Borussia Mönchengladbach support inside the Olympic stadium. Intoxicated by the part they played in the uniquely memorable third round second leg against St Etienne at Anfield, a pulsating 3-1 victory sealed by a vital late goal from "supersub" David Fairclough, Liverpool supporters had got behind their side's European adventure in a manner rarely seen either before or since.

Mönchengladbach were a decent team in 1977, studded with prominent German internationals such as Berti Vogts, Rainer Bonhof, Uli Stielike and Jupp Heynckes, but they seemed unsettled by either the occasion or Liverpool's fervent support, and though Allan Simonsen cancelled out Terry McDermott's opening goal just after the interval, they had no comeback once one of Anfield's best-loved characters met a Steve Heighway corner with an unanswerable header.

Fans in the stadium went nuts, television viewers back home, and in those days that meant practically the whole country, savoured one of Barry Davies's finest commentary moments. "It's Tommy Smith! Oh what an end to a career."

Liverpool played such a perfect game in 1977 that Bob Paisley never had to turn to Fairclough, never even made a substitution. It was that kind of day. It is debatable whether that was their greatest team, however, as when Liverpool returned the following season to beat FC Bruges at Wembley after defeating Mönchengladbach again in the semi-final, they had made the notable additions of Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen and Phil Thompson to the side.

People thought that Liverpool would never be the same again once Kevin Keegan packed his bags for a new challenge at Hamburg, and they weren't. They were considerably better. While Paisley acted decisively in spending the Keegan money to bring in Dalglish, who scored the neatest of goals to secure victory at Wembley, around that keynote signing a whole new side was taking shape.

Now with two Kennedys – Alan as well as Ray – the 1978-79 edition was not quite good enough to get past Nottingham Forest when the two English hopes were paired together in the first round, but once Liverpool had returned to the top of the domestic league, they returned to the European Cup final in 1981 with a new striker just beginning to make a name for himself.

Ian Rush did not play in Paris against Real Madrid, where a single goal from the unlikely source of Alan Kennedy was enough to secure a third triumph, though he was a fixture in the side by the time Liverpool went back to Rome in 1984.

Never mind the fact that Liverpool beat Roma on penalties, with Bruce Grobbelaar claiming his first winner's medal by virtue of his famous spaghetti legs routine, consider the team Joe Fagan was able to put out that day. Grobbelaar; Phil Neal, Mark Lawrensen, Hansen, Alan Kennedy; Sammy Lee, Craig Johnston, Souness, Ronnie Whelan; Dalglish, Rush. Paisley had stepped down, Fagan promoted from within in the usual Anfield tradition, and once Roma had been beaten on their own ground by what many regard as the best of Liverpool's European Cup sides it appeared the club was set fair for a few more trophies if not another decade of glory.

Nothing happened in the run to the 1985 final to contradict that impression, with Liverpool coping with the loss of Souness to Italian football just as comfortably as they had survived losing Keegan to Germany, though if anyone at the club thought European Cup finals would keep coming along, and possibly getting easier with more experience, they were wrong.

Heysel came as a terrible shock, to Fagan, to Liverpool, and to the English game. Everton were among the first to feel the impact, winning the league in 1985 and 1987 but having nowhere to go as champions, and though many a Blue still feels bitter at missing out, it is possible that the Dalglish teams of the late 1980s, now boasting John Barnes, Peter Beardsley, Jan Molby and John Aldridge, would have done at least as well in Europe as their illustrious predecessors.

For quite a while in the 1970s and 1980s, Liverpool appeared to have found the secret of success, a bit like Barcelona two or three years ago. Just keep the game simple, pass and move, and always release the ball to a team-mate in a better position. Promote managers and coaches from inside the club so that they have grown up with the philosophy, and only buy players who will fit the way of playing so that the faces change, but the system remains the same. What could possibly go wrong?

On the pitch, almost nothing. Unfortunately the terraces of Heysel and Hillsborough were about to tell another story. English football, or at least British football, the game we used to play before the Premier League became an expensive contest to import talent from abroad, would never be quite the same again. Quite literally, because Hillsborough ushered in all-seater stadiums, price hikes and the spendthrift Premier League, and suddenly clubs began to think less in terms of conquering Europe than assimilating it.

In Rome in 1977, Liverpool's squad of 16 players comprised 14 Englishmen, plus Heighway and Joey Jones. Borussia Mönchengladbach named 15 West Germans, plus the Dane, Simonsen.

In Rome in 1984, Liverpool selected six English players, five Scots, three Irishmen, one Welshman and Grobbelaar, against Roma's squad of 14 Italians and two Brazilians. The breakdown for Manchester United squad in the 2009 final in Rome was as follows: England 5, Brazil 2, Portugal 2, Argentina 1, Bulgaria 1, France 1, Holland 1, Ireland 1, Poland 1, Serbia 1, South Korea 1, Wales 1.

Times change, but what a time Liverpool had. As well as being an inspiration to the world, they were the best of British, and though that title is unofficial, they are unlikely to be surrendering it in the foreseeable future. It is probably theirs to keep.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2017, 03:34:04 am »
LIVERPOOL 1978.

GK     Ray Clemence
DF     Phil Neal
DF     Phil Thompson
DF     Alan Hansen
MF     Ray Kennedy
DF     Emlyn Hughes (c)
FW     Kenny Dalglish
MF     Jimmy Case    
FW     David Fairclough
MF     Terry McDermott
MF     Graeme Souness

I rest my case :)  tough fkin team to beat.

edited coz I fkin forgot Phil Neal :(
Alan Kennedy replaced Emlyn pretty early on that season, and David Johnson played more than Heighway, and definitely more than Fairclough, who barely got a look in.
Just by memory, in the league, I think we used 14 players all season, with 6 or 7 ever-presents.

Sheffield United must have been fucking good that season!!
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2017, 08:08:52 am »
78 team for me! 88 was probably the best footballing team I’ve seen, but that 78 team probably had a bit more of everything about them. As Souness once said if the opposition wanted a football match they’d give them one   But if they wanted a fight they could have that too   And win in both!
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2017, 08:18:25 am »
Aaaaggghhhh brain hurts from trying to decide. Head tells me 78, heart says 88 because it was an incredible team to watch. We would play teams off the park. That 78 side though. Wow. That was a winning machine.

Boy we had some players. Digger was, and will always remain, one of my favourite players to ever play for the club. At a time that didn`t have many players with his particular skill set he was sublime.

If the question were to be applied to today as to which team would I like to have now then no question, 78. We would walk the title.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2017, 08:20:33 am »
I have stronger memories from the 80's so I'll give them the nod. Achievements wise it's really close though. But I was nearly 9 as the 70s faded put so my memories from that era aren't crystal clear.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2017, 12:19:11 pm »
Just a shout here for the oft-overlooked 1972/73 Liverpool  ;D

Liverpool 1972/1973 were tough, mean in defence and had an attack to rival anyone.

Heighway - had the beating of anyone down the left wing - a master of that sweeping show-the-opponent-the-ball-and-glide-past-him-majestically just like Johnny Barnes had.

Toshack - imperious in the air - and rather like Crouchy, had an excellent touch 'for a big man'. Just dovetailed perfectly with Keegan's outstanding awareness, bravery and determination.

A midfield full of hurrying, scurrying artisans like Brian Hall, Peter Cormack and Cally would overwhelm teams and were suited to the awful pitches of 75% of the season.

Ray Clemence in goal, Larry Lloyd, Emlyn and Tommy Smith in defence, Alec Lindsay and Chris Lawler providing width and early diagonal balls in for Tosh.

Sure, we had better players in most of the positions later in the decade and in the 80's, but as a team suited to the times and winning the title up against the great Leeds, Arsenal, Derby and Ipswich sides of that time, plus winning the UEFA Cup in a 66 game season, I've chucked their hat in the ring  8)

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2017, 12:41:13 pm »
I occasionally watch the odd game from back in the day.
The question I always ask myself is: were Liverpool that good in England, or were the opponents not that up to it? In some of the games, they are still walking around passing the ball.
I think it is more competitive now, in comparison.

Offline exiledkopite

• Boys Pen
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2017, 01:00:39 pm »
I honestly can't split the 78/79 and 87/88 teams.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2017, 02:37:32 pm »
what is the 70s team and the 80s team ? half of the players would be the same...

if it was based on European Finals it'd be '77 by a street, that was a spellbinding performance that I could watch over and over again

possibly the best side was '79, which is ironic as they never won the European Cup

got an easier question ?
 :P

That 79 team was probably the best we ever had in terms of strong football. I was fortunate (sort of) to be stood on the Leeds end when we battered them 0-3 in the final game of that season, event the most Neanderthal of Leeds fans were shaking their heads at how good we were. The seventh against Spurs still stands as the best goal I have ever seen at Anfield. And yet it was a team in transition in some respects, with some players emerging and others fading into legend
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2017, 05:31:26 pm »
The late 70s team is probably the right answer, but I'll always have a soft spot for the 82-84 team because I remember them better.
I think the way Paisley gutted the '81 team which won the European Cup but came 5th in the league, and brought in new players like Whelan, Nicol, Lawro, Rush, Grobbelaar, etc and then won 3 league titles on the bounce, culminating in the 84 treble, was an amazing achievement.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2017, 07:03:13 pm »
how about: best team, taking 2 players from this decade, 2 from the noughties, 2 from the 90s, 2 from the eighties, 2 from the 70s, and a bonus from whichever decade.  Cross-over players count as long as they played in that decade.

Mine:

Reina (noughties - 1)

Carra (90s - 1) Hansen (80s - 1) Hyypia (noughties -2) Nicol (90s -2)

Souness (70s) Gerrard (this decade - 1)

Suarez (this decade - 2) Dalglish (70s) Barnes (80s -2)

Rush (80s - bonus choice)

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2017, 07:43:37 pm »
The late 70s team is probably the right answer, but I'll always have a soft spot for the 82-84 team because I remember them better.
I think the way Paisley gutted the '81 team which won the European Cup but came 5th in the league, and brought in new players like Whelan, Nicol, Lawro, Rush, Grobbelaar, etc and then won 3 league titles on the bounce, culminating in the 84 treble, was an amazing achievement.

Hell of a side that.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2017, 07:44:17 pm »
how about: best team, taking 2 players from this decade, 2 from the noughties, 2 from the 90s, 2 from the eighties, 2 from the 70s, and a bonus from whichever decade.  Cross-over players count as long as they played in that decade.

Mine:

Reina (noughties - 1)

Carra (90s - 1) Hansen (80s - 1) Hyypia (noughties -2) Nicol (90s -2)

Souness (70s) Gerrard (this decade - 1)

Suarez (this decade - 2) Dalglish (70s) Barnes (80s -2)

Rush (80s - bonus choice)

Carra and Sami?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2017, 08:00:20 pm »

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2017, 01:16:41 am »
Jenny's boys of 88.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2017, 01:30:26 am »
The 78/79 and ( my team ) 87/88.

My dah always says the mid 60's team are the best team the world has seen.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2017, 01:14:05 pm »
  Clemence, Neal, Kennedy, Hansen, Thompson, Case, Kennedy, Souness, McDermott, Heighway/Johnson, Dalglish.

crumbs

Offline MrEazi1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2017, 02:22:03 pm »
Head says 1978-79, but I'd prefer to watch, from an aesthetically pleasing point of view, the football produced by the 1987-88 team.

My dad always talks about the excitement at Anfield for the first home game of the season against Oxford as we had to play our first three games of 87-88 away because of a collapsed sewer on the Kop. We had won all three games and there was a real buzz around the ground as you could sense this was a special team in the making.

In 87-88, 4-0 wins became routine. You could feel the anticipation before each game, people just HAD to watch this Liverpool team, and you had to catch a glimpse of John Barnes who between 87-91 produced some of the most exquisite wingplay I've ever seen from a Liverpool player. His injury in 91 was a massive contributor to our downfall.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2017, 03:35:41 pm »
The 1987-88 team was immense. It really was. 29 league games unbeaten from the start of the season. 1 defeat (by Everton in the Legaue Cup) in the 1st 37 games the season across all comps. Over that period we scored 79 and only conceded 16.

It was too easy for us that season. Very early on the challenge that season was to see if we could go the league campaign unbeaten. It was a big kick in the teeth getting beat by Everton in the 30th league game. Only won 5 out of 13 games the rest of the season (including the Cup Final defeat by Wimbledon). Those 5 wins did include the infamous 5-0 at hime to Forest.

Maybe tiredness caught up with us. Or maybe because the league was won so early we took our foot off the pedal. Who knows but getting beat by Wimbledon in that FA Cup Final hurt. If any team that I've watched deserved the double then it was this team. Even with that 'bad' end to the season they still ended up with 90 points from 40 games and played some of the most wonderful football I've sen at Anfield. For the younger fans I would say it was better than 13/14. Not quite as exciting but better because it was more balanced.87 goals scored but only 24 conceded over 40 games. Goal difference of +63  says everything about the quality of that team.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline 13th man

• Kemlynite
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2017, 12:58:32 pm »
If the team has Kenny, Rush, Souness and Hansen, it's the best, period. Can't imagine a better forward combination than Rush and Kenny. The team circa '84 was a refined winning machine, the team that Shanks wanted the Martians to come and play.  ;)
If you discovered your girlfriend didn't have a cock, would you ask her if you could sit on her big toe instead?

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2017, 09:13:41 pm »
Im lucky enough to have seen all those magnificent players as my first game at Anfield was Kevin Keegans debut against Forest. I cant put a fag paper between them. Remembering some of the games Ive seen those sides play makes the last two results even harder to bear. Lots of people are mentioning some great performances. Check out the 1974 cup final against Newcastle we absolutely murdered them. Im definately sitting on the fence for this one.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:17:04 pm by Hymer Red »
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2017, 09:54:30 pm »
I like to put teams into like-for-like formations and look at the matchups - so either 4-2-4 or 3-4-3 (the two most symmetrical formations)

So:

Hughes vs. Houghton

Tough one. Both hard-working, both full of energy, both capable of a goal, both played for the team, both never gave up. This match-up is a draw

Thompson vs. Aldridge

Thompson was a leggy, quick, lanky, stringy, no-quarter-given, can play the ball a bit, defender. Aldridge was a goal machine (except for the Republic), never stopped running, put his head where it hurt, and had a great and natural knack for scoring in league football. I'd give this one - slightly, to El Zorro

Hansen 78 vs Beardsley

Hansen 78 was classy, athletic, calm, composed and patient as a defender. But he was also raw. Beardsley in 88 was simply magnificent, the English Bergkamp before Bergkamp was a thing in England. As beautiful on the ball as he was ugly in the face. I'd shade this one to Beardsley

Neal vs Barnes

No contest. Even in the early 80s, Barnes was terrifying defenders up and down the land for Watford. The 88 Barnes was pure magic in tight shorts. Neal was a great runner, great set-piece player, and quite intelligent, but Barnes would twist him inside out if it came down to it. Barnes gets this one

Souness vs Whelan

Souness - the epitome of the "iron fist in a velvet glove". Combative, fearless, never-say-die, silky with the ball, as likely to thump an opposition player as he was to thump the ball in the net. We just didn't lose when Souness didn't want us to lose. Whelan - ferocious, technical, athletic, stuck to his task, and was just quality. But he was no Souness. Souness scares the shit out of Whelan, and wins this match-up

McDermott vs McMahon

McMahon - that backheel, that mullet, that sub-Souness snarl. He made it all work, I think, for the 88 team. But he got snapped like a twig by Vinnie Jones in the 88 Cup Final, and we lost the midfield from then on. McDermott was a permed assassin. He looked like the third, handsome Chuckle Brother, but he could play, he could fight, and he could grow hair on his head. McDermott wins this one

Kennedy vs Nicol

Nicol, the rampaging fullback, solid, unspectacular, like a more polite version of Tommy Smith (as in, he could hit a player, but he was surprisingly good with the ball). An obstacle for any wide player. But Kennedy was magic. A left foot that could cut a diamond, positional sense that signified a keen mind with a deep knowledge of the game, and all of this while (unknowingly) beginning to feel the onset of a horrible disease. It would be tight, but Kennedy would be too smart for Nicol

Dalglish vs Hansen 88

Hansen 88 was the Scottish Beckenbauer. Never a dirty pair of shorts after a game. In fact, his shorts probably ended the game cleaner than when they started. The defensive lynchpin against which all Liverpool lynchpins should be measured (yes, that includes Hyppia). But he's up against Dalglish. The King. The best player I've ever seen while he was active in terms of intelligence (I didn't see Cruyff play until much later, when he'd retired. But that's the level we're talking about). His footballing brain was there for all to see. Hansen 88 was good, but Kenny was GREAT. Dalglish for this one

Fairclough vs Lawrenson

Super-sub. But that's all he should have ever been. Game, hard-working, scorer of a legendary goal. But Lawrenson was cut from the same cloth as Hansen, and could marshal a back line by himself. Lawrenson for this one.

Case vs Gillespie

Case - possibly the only player Tommy Smith was afraid of. The Ernie Wise to Tommy's Eric Morecambe. They apparently used to use a ploy where Smith would shout to Case to send the winger down the outside so that he (Smith) could kick him over the stand. They'd laugh about it afterwards. Hard as nails. But could play real good. Gillespie - deceptively tough, silky like the rest of his defenders, and scorer of THAT hat trick. A great servant, like Case. This one is a draw

Tie-breaker:

Clemence vs Grobbelaar

So with 4 wins for the 88 side, and 4 for the 78 side, plus two draws, it comes down to the keepers to break the tie. Clemence - hard to score against, tall, successful, good distribution, gave a sense of security at the back. Grobbelaar - crazy, acrobatic, prone to a brainfart, suspicion of backhanders. It's hard to separate them, but Clemence was the more reliable, and probably the safer pair of hands over a campaign. Tie breaker goes to Clemence.

So for me, it's close, but the 78 team (as outlined above) probably just shades it. But only just. It would be a great game to watch if those teams could ever play in some weird alternate universe. There'd probably be loads of fights on the pitch in the midfield as well ;D
Better looking than Samie.