Author Topic: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest  (Read 181794 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest
« Reply #1280 on: March 31, 2020, 09:11:50 pm »
Yeah got the tv in about September 2015.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1281 on: April 1, 2020, 06:46:19 am »
I’d try logging into your router.

Go to 192.168.0.1 in your browser and try the username admin and password sky.

Once in go to the Wireless Settings page and then see what channel it’s currently on. I’m guessing it’s probably 1. If so change it to 6 or 11 and see how that works for you for a little while. You may need to reconnect any devices previously connected via WiFi. Think someone linked a tool above to find what channels those around you are using but you’re best picking one of 1, 6 or 11.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1282 on: April 1, 2020, 08:25:00 am »
I’d try logging into your router.

Go to 192.168.0.1 in your browser and try the username admin and password sky.

Once in go to the Wireless Settings page and then see what channel it’s currently on. I’m guessing it’s probably 1. If so change it to 6 or 11 and see how that works for you for a little while. You may need to reconnect any devices previously connected via WiFi. Think someone linked a tool above to find what channels those around you are using but you’re best picking one of 1, 6 or 11.

Thanks (and to Robbie too!).

I’ll try that later. I’m a little scared of doing something that will break things completely as we’re all dependent on WiFi for working from home at the moment.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1283 on: April 1, 2020, 08:42:57 am »
Channel was set to auto. I’ve changed it to 6. Ran the speed test again and it was around 10 (it’s a bit inconsistent around the house) but that seems more promising. Will leave it as that for a while and see how we go.

Thanks again, that was surprisingly easy to do. :D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1284 on: April 1, 2020, 10:14:36 am »
Channel was set to auto. I’ve changed it to 6. Ran the speed test again and it was around 10 (it’s a bit inconsistent around the house) but that seems more promising. Will leave it as that for a while and see how we go.

Thanks again, that was surprisingly easy to do. :D

If you're bored, you can look up why that one is better!

It being in a cupboard shouldn't be an issue unless there's any other large electrical things in there as they can interfere.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2020, 10:16:14 am by Claire. »

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1285 on: April 1, 2020, 11:41:36 am »
Download and inSSIDer on a PC which will show you which channels other routers in range are broadcasting on so you know what to avoid.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1286 on: April 1, 2020, 01:11:04 pm »
Thanks (and to Robbie too!).

I’ll try that later. I’m a little scared of doing something that will break things completely as we’re all dependent on WiFi for working from home at the moment.

I was tempted, for all of RAWK, to get you to screw up your internet but I’m just too nice a person.

Glad that seems to have helped.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1287 on: April 1, 2020, 02:07:51 pm »
I was tempted, for all of RAWK, to get you to screw up your internet but I’m just too nice a person.

Glad that seems to have helped.

:D

Very nice indeed. Far different to what your Barry Homeowner/FSG stooge online persona would have us believe.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #1288 on: June 7, 2021, 10:31:30 am »
Not sure if correct thread but looking for broadband recommendations please. Out of contract with BT and they're doing their usual BS of not offering the same deal they do for new customers to old ones so thought I'd shop around. Vodfaone, Sky and NOW TV look the most appealing for price vs speed, thought the NOW TV router only having 2 ethernet ports is a deal breaker I think. Can't get Virgin in my area yet, so deals that offer up to 70mbs are what I am after.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1289 on: June 7, 2021, 11:07:45 am »
You could always plug in an ethernet switch to add extra ports

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1290 on: June 7, 2021, 11:38:58 am »
You could always plug in an ethernet switch to add extra ports

I have one but found it wasn't the greatest

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1291 on: June 7, 2021, 12:03:20 pm »

What type is it? if it's old chances are you'll need to upgrade, they're fairly inexpensive, though can also be cables slowing you down depending on their type, should say on it what they are.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1292 on: June 7, 2021, 12:43:12 pm »

Probably only 100mbps. Get a gigabit one and you should be fine (basicallly all new ones and still really cheap). And asl Claire says check the cables.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1293 on: June 7, 2021, 01:03:56 pm »
OK thanks for the info on the ethernet switch but are you guys saying that because you think I should go with NOW TV over the others?  ;D

Vodafone, Sky and NOW TV are all similarly priced, with similar speeds. Was hoping someone would recommend one over the other.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1294 on: June 7, 2021, 01:50:38 pm »
OK thanks for the info on the ethernet switch but are you guys saying that because you think I should go with NOW TV over the others?  ;D

Vodafone, Sky and NOW TV are all similarly priced, with similar speeds. Was hoping someone would recommend one over the other.

Unless you have Cityfibre (which Vodafone are the resellers for), which I'm guessing you don't based on the 70mbps speeds you are talking about, they are all on Openreach infrastructure so it's mostly going to be down to customer service and price....

I had Sky broadband for quite a long time and didn't have many issues but that was quite a long time ago.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1295 on: June 7, 2021, 02:26:07 pm »
Not sure if correct thread but looking for broadband recommendations please. Out of contract with BT and they're doing their usual BS of not offering the same deal they do for new customers to old ones so thought I'd shop around. Vodfaone, Sky and NOW TV look the most appealing for price vs speed, thought the NOW TV router only having 2 ethernet ports is a deal breaker I think. Can't get Virgin in my area yet, so deals that offer up to 70mbs are what I am after.
Raise a complaint about it here: https://www.bt.com/help/complaints
I done that and got a new contract at a bit less than a new customer and BT Sport on top. They phone back quickly as they want the complaints closed asap.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1296 on: June 7, 2021, 04:15:23 pm »
Unless you have Cityfibre (which Vodafone are the resellers for), which I'm guessing you don't based on the 70mbps speeds you are talking about, they are all on Openreach infrastructure so it's mostly going to be down to customer service and price....

I had Sky broadband for quite a long time and didn't have many issues but that was quite a long time ago.
personally I thought Sky were awful but it has been probably ten years since I was with them now so maybe they have improved
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1297 on: June 7, 2021, 04:20:10 pm »
have you told BT that you are leaving them, if you do they will put you through to the retentions team and they will in all likelihood give you a better offer than the one you got before.  I've been with BT must be at least 10 years or more now and have threatened to leave on numerous occasions but have always stayed as they always give me a better offer.  It probably depends who you speak to though...
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1298 on: June 7, 2021, 04:21:11 pm »
personally I thought Sky were awful but it has been probably ten years since I was with them now so maybe they have improved

I'm talking at least 5 years ago myself, been with Plusnet ever since (contemplating signing up for Vodafone/CityFibre as can get up to 900mbps but its a bit pricy and 70 is enough for me really).

It all depends on location and a bit of luck when dealing with ADSL. Some ISPs will squeeze more customers onto each exchange so while your theoretical speed might be 24mbps (pre FTTC days), you won't get it in peak hours because you have 2 many customers on the exchange all trying to watch Netflix at the same time. If you get lucky you might have no contention on your exchange so get your peak rate all the time.

I don't think this is really an issue with FTTC though.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1299 on: June 7, 2021, 04:22:32 pm »
have you told BT that you are leaving them, if you do they will put you through to the retentions team and they will in all likelihood give you a better offer than the one you got before.  I've been with BT must be at least 10 years or more now and have threatened to leave on numerous occasions but have always stayed as they always give me a better offer.  It probably depends who you speak to though...

Yeah Plusnet (owned by BT, though ran separately) did that for me. Told them I was leaving unless they could match what they were offering new customers and they did so, as long as I signed up for new contract.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1300 on: June 7, 2021, 05:50:01 pm »

Yeah I said to them last night I will shop around and they were pretty blase about it. Said I would definitely get a better deal but they were backing their overall support/package. I think I will do as you and others mention, either complain or ring again and say I will be leaving and see if I get a different response.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1301 on: June 7, 2021, 06:24:15 pm »
Yeah I said to them last night I will shop around and they were pretty blase about it. Said I would definitely get a better deal but they were backing their overall support/package. I think I will do as you and others mention, either complain or ring again and say I will be leaving and see if I get a different response.

Sign up for the best offer you can find & ask that they notify BT (they do anyway but ask),once that is done you will get a call from BT with a better offer.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2021, 06:26:10 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #1302 on: June 14, 2021, 11:36:52 pm »
Been thinking of moving broadband providers, I have the fibre 2 with BT at the moment, with the big sport thing. been quite impressed with watching all my sport through apps, now TV and BT sports etc. I think this one is a 67mb connection, which is okay for my needs.

Thing is, im a bit dubious of PlusNet(Unlimited Fibre Extra - £25.99), TalkTalk(Fibre 65 - £25) and NowTV Broadband (Super fibre - £22), mostly the reviews, partly the hardware, and the service? Anyone had any trouble with them?
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1303 on: June 16, 2021, 02:43:45 pm »

Sign up for the best offer you can find & ask that they notify BT (they do anyway but ask),once that is done you will get a call from BT with a better offer.

This is exactly what happened, thanks. BT called and priced matched and offered BT sport discounted on top

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1304 on: October 20, 2021, 04:43:57 pm »
Our supplier just upgraded us from 45Mbps to 1gig fiber optic free of charge, and will be dropping our monthly bill by $15.

It just tested at 937 Mbps download / 941 Mbps upload.

How's that for service?!
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1305 on: October 20, 2021, 05:11:35 pm »
I went from paying £34/month for FTTC 65down/10up to £35/month for 500up/500down FTTP. I can get 900mbps but its a big price hike and I have no need for it.

It's a no brainer for anywhere that has CityFibre installed - the Openreach providers must be losing customers in droves.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1306 on: January 24, 2022, 03:48:25 pm »
Anyone able to help me figure out how much speed is excessive speed for my needs?

I've got M200 Fibre (plus TV and Phone) with VM at the minute. Current contract price is due to run out and be bumped 40% to £90 a month. I haven't called them yet to see what they offer to keep me because I want my arguments straight before I do. The speed I have now was never wanted as such, they just kept bumping it every time I renewed (been with them for 15-20 years) and obviously I kept saying yes. But it means I've never had chance to figure out how much speed will actually do the job for my house. I'm pretty sure I still can't get better than 70ishdown from any alternative. It sounds like a huge drop. But what would the reality of it actually be?

Would I even notice a difference when the house only has a couple of phones, a running stream and maybe a console going at any one time?

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1307 on: January 24, 2022, 08:50:18 pm »
Anyone able to help me figure out how much speed is excessive speed for my needs?

I've got M200 Fibre (plus TV and Phone) with VM at the minute. Current contract price is due to run out and be bumped 40% to £90 a month. I haven't called them yet to see what they offer to keep me because I want my arguments straight before I do. The speed I have now was never wanted as such, they just kept bumping it every time I renewed (been with them for 15-20 years) and obviously I kept saying yes. But it means I've never had chance to figure out how much speed will actually do the job for my house. I'm pretty sure I still can't get better than 70ishdown from any alternative. It sounds like a huge drop. But what would the reality of it actually be?

Would I even notice a difference when the house only has a couple of phones, a running stream and maybe a console going at any one time?

I was on the M100 until the end of this month and was paying £24.50. It was going up to £54 or something. I didn’t want to pay more than £24 given electricity is already costing us more this year. I told them I was going to cancel and I would have because I knew I could get 67Mb from Vodafone for £17 a month. They wouldn’t go lower than £26 on the M100 so I told them to quote for the M50. They gave me some spiel about how I wouldn’t possibly cope with that speed, but I spend loads of time at my Dad’s in the middle of nowhere where I’m lucky if I get 20Mbps download speeds and I stream Netflix and footy and all that just fine from my dad’s. So anyway. £20/month for the 50Mbps is what I went for just to save the hassle of swapping to a BT line.

My brother thinks I’m being cheap not wanting to pay for the M100 but I just don’t see the point. Got better things to spend my money on.

I always check moneysavingexpert before ringing up to see what the best deal is. Just ignore their “oh you can’t possibly cope without M200 you use more than the average household blah blah” shit.

I don’t do any gaming though so this may be bad advice for whoever in your house is using the console 😂
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1308 on: February 22, 2022, 11:12:00 am »
Had a contract with Virgin for 200mb for £40 (no TV, no phone) and they wanted to put it up to £57 now it's ended, but just saying BT at them got them to give me 350mb for £35.

Suckers.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1309 on: February 23, 2022, 09:34:36 pm »
Anyone on EE broadband have issues? i've noticed every now and again the connection will drop, this is even worse in the evenings, seems like a common fault with EE, but i'm only a couple of months into my two year contract

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1310 on: December 3, 2022, 06:05:13 pm »
Does anyone know if it's possible to run cityfibre and VM at the same time?
We've got a reasonably discounted VM coming to an end and a decent looking package from city fibre.
Don't want to jump ship and find CF doesn't meet the requirements.   Also as a home worker, I'm contemplating running both so I have a back up.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1311 on: December 4, 2022, 03:24:22 pm »
Does anyone know if it's possible to run cityfibre and VM at the same time?
We've got a reasonably discounted VM coming to an end and a decent looking package from city fibre.
Don't want to jump ship and find CF doesn't meet the requirements.   Also as a home worker, I'm contemplating running both so I have a back up.

You can readily have the two connections since they aren't using the same route into your house, but it gets more complex if you wanted to use them in parallel rather than a main one and a backup, even that is possible with a bit of effort and money though.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1312 on: December 4, 2022, 03:30:59 pm »
£60 a moth we pay BT  for 67mbps B-road band and phone line…

Scandalous..

We don’t use the phone line so we are getting rid of it.. 

I guess we shouldn’t be paying more than £33 a month for it?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1313 on: December 4, 2022, 03:57:55 pm »
I'm going to BT, been with Virgin media 10 plus years but lately having these strange dropouts, causing massive latency spikes one minute making online gaming impossible and other times my work VPN keeps disconnecting because of it so wfh is a nightmare. They're sending an engineer out but not expecting much, reading through the community forums seems like it's a common occurrence but VM aren't acting on it even though it seems widespread. Their "diagnostic" tools are a joke, we can't detect an issue or they usually resolve themselves within 24 hour bollocks.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1314 on: December 4, 2022, 05:31:33 pm »

Scandalous..

Citryfibtr are looking for £36 , that was with some phone calls. I think we are paying VM £50, but that's with a telly box we don't use.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1315 on: December 4, 2022, 06:38:34 pm »
Citryfibtr are looking for £36 , that was with some phone calls. I think we are paying VM £50, but that's with a telly box we don't use.
Is that fibre to house?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1316 on: December 4, 2022, 09:49:27 pm »

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1317 on: December 5, 2022, 05:21:03 am »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1318 on: December 5, 2022, 12:31:41 pm »

Scandalous..

For the same speed I pay £33pm with unlimited any time calls (TT).
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1319 on: December 5, 2022, 12:59:49 pm »
I'm going to BT, been with Virgin media 10 plus years but lately having these strange dropouts, causing massive latency spikes one minute making online gaming impossible and other times my work VPN keeps disconnecting because of it so wfh is a nightmare. They're sending an engineer out but not expecting much, reading through the community forums seems like it's a common occurrence but VM aren't acting on it even though it seems widespread. Their "diagnostic" tools are a joke, we can't detect an issue or they usually resolve themselves within 24 hour bollocks.

For your work VPN - it's been years but I remember there was a setting in the router admin I had to enable to get it to work properly.