Author Topic: RAWK Advent Calendar#6 1973 UEFA Cup Final (First leg) L'POOL vs Borussia  (Read 7136 times)

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
It spread faster than the one that Suzi Quattro was going to unzip her leather catsuit live on Top of the Pops but this time the rumour was true. Liverpool had reduced the price of admission to the terraces to 10p for the Uefa Cup Final because rain had forced the ref to abandon the match the night before. I'd been at the match and wasn't sorry to see it abandoned because we were struggling against a decent German side. This was my first European final and the last thing I wanted was to lose the home leg so the abandonment hadn't worried me but getting in to tonights match was going to be a worry with it 10p on the gate every man and his dog was going to be there. It was going to be difficult getting down early with school finishing at four. It was no use bunking off because I had to get home to get changed anyway and my Ma would easily 'sus' me out if I came home too early.

School normally revolved around tales of going the match so I knew my mate Joey from Crocky would be going but our other mate Mick from Walton, who was a dead ringer for a young Rod Stewart, could never afford the match so he made out he wasn't arsed but he was up for this one with it being 10P that he could raise selling his dinner ticket, so instead of going with our normal mates from around ours we all arranged to go together. This was the era when even Scousers wore three star jumpers so it was Flemo's, me new Ox-Blood Major Domos and a check Wrangler lumber jacket. Thank God me Mum had relented and bought me me Flemo's or I'd look a right knob in front of my mates in the new school. As it was I was dressed suitably for what would be my second experience of a European final in two nights.

I dived in got changed and was out and down the ground for half Five. Joey went the Anny so we decided to go there. It wasn't as packed as I'd expected and we were all in no bother. We ended up going down the front of the Anny by the corner flag next to the Paddock. Coincidently this was where My Dad used to take me before I'd graduated to the Kop, right behind the St John's Ambulance fellas, so it was going to be fun knocking their hats off for a laugh and impressing my school mates.

When the teams were announced I was made up Shanks was playing Toshack as I loved him and he always seemed to get us goals when we needed them and I hoped Gunter Netzer had a shit game, he was my third favourite German Player after Gerd Muller and Franz Beckenbauer who I'd seen when we beat Bayern and Alun Evans scored an hatrick.  Liverpool won 3-0 and went on to win Shanks first and only European trophy. The You Tube clip is worth watching and will save me writing a few extra paragraphs ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yp9mtHTiME4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Yp9mtHTiME4</a>

If you look when Keegan takes the corner for the third goal at 2.07 you can just make us out but on telly that night we had several close ups so when we came in school the next morning everyone had seen us on telly it was the talk of the playground. We dubbed ourselves the Tellystars taking the piss. The sad thing is it was the last game that the Tellystars made an appearance at because Mick was killed by a car before the Red Star game the next season but that night back in 1973 that would lead to Shankly's first European trophy. We were untouchable, full of life and optimism. We were Kings. Kings of Europe.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 03:18:49 pm by The5thDayofXmas »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
A really lovely number 6 from Albie. Enjoy!
Yep.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
Really enjoyed that.

RIP Mick.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Cheers Albie!

Did the game start the night before and get abandoned after half an hour or so? And Shanks spotted they were weak in the air so picked Toshack for the 2nd attempt even though he was originally left out?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
thanks great clip, that was an important Penalty save by Clemence. The Kop was immense though the fella must have shit himself on the run up.
And Tommy Guarding the cup at the end :D

Bertie Vogts must fucking hate us :D

there were a few BMG fans in the ale house the other night and my mate's lad was asking about the connection, good that we've got fan alliances going back to 77 and 73 with this great German team

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Good stuff, thanks.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
match finished 3-0 not 3-1

ray clemence saved a penno
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Love this article.
Yep.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Cheers Albie!

Did the game start the night before and get abandoned after half an hour or so? And Shanks spotted they were weak in the air so picked Toshack for the 2nd attempt even though he was originally left out?
That's right he originally picked Brian Hall and left Toshack out and we weren't firing on full cylinders the calling off of the game was a blessing in disguise.  Shanks introduced Tosh and the second game the next night was totally different, Bourusssia couldn't cope with him and keegan, not that I knew that at the time, I just loved Toshacks ability to combine with Keegan and thought he had a great football brain that he wasn't given credit for because he was tall and could head a ball so well. Just shows that even the likes of Shanks made mistakes but it was a feature of his genius that he learnt them. Good managers aren't infallible but learn through experience from trying things out, footballs too complex to get it right every time it doesn't work like that it takes a few blind alleys before a good manager gets it right. The precious commodity of time which is so lacking in todays game.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
Great story that, sorry about what happened to your mate.
@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rawk Advent Calender#6 1973 UEFA Cup Final (First leg) L'POOL vs Borussia
« Reply #10 on: December 6, 2013, 09:48:04 pm »
The real beauty of YouTube that Albie..what did we ever do before it...to be able to see yourself for the first time in over 30 odd years must have been a real treat especially to bring back memories of your mate Mick.

Heres a question for you..what was the price the night before?
Did you take the same speck each night?
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #11 on: December 7, 2013, 12:13:58 am »
Lovely stuff Albie.

Toshack's two assists - when did that word come in? - were fantastic. No one better in the air at picking out moving players around him than Big John. His timing is gorgeous too.

And what a victory. Borussia were maybe the best team in Europe at the time weren't they? Bayern won the European Cups but BMG tended to beat them to the Bundesliga. Well in Shanks.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 7, 2013, 01:15:52 am »
Thanks mate, again a post that makes me compare - I must stop.

If it hadn't already rolled by then, the inexorable machine left the station and headed to greatness.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #13 on: December 7, 2013, 10:04:03 pm »
Sorry about your mate....must have been some shock
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #14 on: December 7, 2013, 10:08:35 pm »
Albie that brought back some great memories, sorry about your mate though, way too young!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Advent Calendar#6 1973 UEFA Cup Final (First leg) L'POOL vs Borussia
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 12:01:21 am »
Bump for Christmas
Yep.