Author Topic: Overrated?  (Read 43866 times)

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
Overrated?
« on: February 18, 2021, 09:26:05 am »
Is there a film/TV show/song that everyone raves about and declares to be the best thing ever made, but you think is bog average at best?

I'll throw in Donnie Darko, just didn't press any buttons for me.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: Overrated?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 09:40:31 am »
Most stuff really, even stuff I really like, once social media gets a hold of it it's like so hyped and talked about, there's not much perspective to its actual quality anymore

Basically you just trust your own judgement. That's all it becomes in the end anyway. Unless you become one of those bores who changes their opinion just to feel included

I mean, like fuck am I gonna watch Tiger King

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 09:44:13 am »
Citizen Kane and Black Panther.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 09:45:50 am »
I'm a big Paul Thomas Anderson fan but I think Magnolia is vastly overrated, it's a distant last in Anderson's filmography as far as I'm concerned, both Hard Eight and especially Punch Drunk Love are better.  It's horrible, manipulative drek.

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
  • Some men just want to watch the Woodburn
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 09:48:26 am »
Anything Marvel. Predictable CGI fests.

TV wise probably the Sopranos.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 09:49:50 am »
I think it’s my current mood of not really enjoying anything at the moment but recently forked out for Disney Plus and watched Soul with the kids and having heard lots of good things about it was expecting something really good and it just felt a bit ‘meh’. But I think that might just be me at the moment. :D

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 09:52:38 am »
RAWK Drafts.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 09:53:13 am »
I think it’s my current mood of not really enjoying anything at the moment but recently forked out for Disney Plus and watched Soul with the kids and having heard lots of good things about it was expecting something really good and it just felt a bit ‘meh’. But I think that might just be me at the moment. :D

Thought that was excellent but in the same vain I was pretty underwhelmed by Onward
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 09:55:01 am »
Thought that was excellent but in the same vain I was pretty underwhelmed by Onward

They’ve gone a bit overboard with films about death!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 09:58:31 am »
A couple of people recommended Schitt’s Creek to us. Watched the first one and was underwhelmed to say the least. Apparently it’s a grower though and we shouldn’t judge it by episode 1.

Peaky Blinders was another. Lasted about 20 minutes.

Never seen more than about a minute of Game of Thrones, but I’m almost certain that would be another.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 10:00:35 am »
Only Fools & Horses.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 10:15:35 am »
A couple of people recommended Schitt’s Creek to us. Watched the first one and was underwhelmed to say the least. Apparently it’s a grower though and we shouldn’t judge it by episode 1.

Never seen more than about a minute of Game of Thrones, but I’m almost certain that would be another.

Same with us , we watched the first episode but then haven't bothered since

Mrs Brown's boys is another
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 10:20:12 am »
I got through about three episodes of Peaky Blinders that was enough for me.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 10:20:53 am »
Mrs Brown's boys is another

Who the fuck rates that?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 10:29:22 am »
Queen - Just, why?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 10:30:06 am »
Who the fuck rates that?

:D Beat me to it. It must get big ratings though. Mainly with people who’s TV remotes are broken.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 10:30:17 am »

Same here, got bored with it.

Blair Witch Project, steaming pile of overhyped shite
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 10:47:03 am »
doctor who (yeh i know it's a kids show)

any tv series that involves 'super heroes' ffs grow up

this thread - well overrated  :wave

my way by sinatra - the song is basically about a guy who did everything 'his' way not giving a shit about anybody else - well fuck de whoop de whoop if we all acted that way then we'd be a selfish bunch of twats

shameless the tv series

saving private ryan - schmulchy american jingoism shite

james bond movies - all of them pretty awful

yeh come on you lot i'm ready for yers - i'm carrying a bike chain and also got a sock with a snooker ball in and i've painted my face like braveheart and i've tattooed evol and etah on my knuckles, well that's how they read to me

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 10:49:31 am »
I don't understand even remotely the love for Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I don't get what's so fucking great about Ramona that's she's worth fighting over, and Scott himself is a blank canvas. And once you get through the first couple of fights it gets very repetitive.

I also think Michael Clayton is an actively bad film with zero believable characters. I started shouting at the screen when Tilda Swinton's character screwed herself over at the end: 'You're supposed to be a smart lawyer, how can you not tell that Clooney is recording this conversation?!'
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 11:01:27 am »
I don't understand even remotely the love for Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I don't get what's so fucking great about Ramona that's she's worth fighting over, and Scott himself is a blank canvas. And once you get through the first couple of fights it gets very repetitive.

I also think Michael Clayton is an actively bad film with zero believable characters. I started shouting at the screen when Tilda Swinton's character screwed herself over at the end: 'You're supposed to be a smart lawyer, how can you not tell that Clooney is recording this conversation?!'

Heresy! Michael Clayton is one of my favourite films, I absolutely love it.

Scott Pilgrim I can understand, but I like that film too, both comedically and for the various pop culture references, but even without those, at the very least it's still stylistically interesting.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 11:02:11 am »

Not one to make quick judgements then?  ;D

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 11:21:24 am »
Not one to make quick judgements then?  ;D
;D

20 mins was more than enough for Peaky B.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 12:08:05 pm »
Outlander, my other half loves it and i think it's crap.

Another show she loves, The Crown, i don't get the fuss for it.

Being a huge Sci-Fan, i just could not get into Babylon 5, just everything about it looked like 1% of a Star Trek show budget.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 12:10:36 pm »
It’s not just me then....

Did the first series... just never got enthusiastic about it ..

And it was the same feeling I had after 20 minutes.. it didn’t change
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 12:28:21 pm »
Same here, got bored with it.

Blair Witch Project, steaming pile of overhyped shite

And we have a bingo. Utterly shite. And people were scared by it. Weirdos.

Downton Abbey - oh do fuck off
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 12:33:18 pm »
And we have a bingo. Utterly shite. And people were scared by it. Weirdos.

Downton Abbey - oh do fuck off

I just wanted Heather to die as soon as possible.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2021, 12:45:18 pm »
The Green Mile.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2021, 12:45:34 pm »
Breaking Bad.

To have that steaming pile of one 'deus ex machina' per episode compared to Sopranos or The Wire is an insult to sanity and reason.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2021, 12:53:22 pm »
I feel quite a few of the big American show are overrated. I tried Breaking Bad, The Wire and a couple of those super hero type shows. They did nothing for me. I liked Peaky Blinders though.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2021, 12:54:49 pm »
Bruce Springsteen.
All James Bond movies.
Queen.
Madonna.
Citizen Kane.
Phil Collins.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2021, 12:57:09 pm »
The Deer Hunter, couldn't stand it.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2021, 01:00:22 pm »
A Clockwork Orange. Or just Stanley Kubrick's entire filmography to be perfectly honest, but A Clockwork Orange in particular stands out.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it; The Beatles. People have often cried blasphemy at me, particularly since I'm Scouse but fuck it, I think their music is shit.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2021, 01:03:52 pm »
I'm not much of a film man really.

TV wise I'd go Mad Men and The Wire. I guess it's hard to say they're over-rated as it comes down to personal taste but I found Mad Men very slow and boring and I just couldn't get into The Wire at all - gave it 3 episodes but wasn't invested.

I love the Sopranos, thought Breaking Bad was mostly great and same with Game of Thrones (taking away the debacle of the final season)
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2021, 01:05:26 pm »

I thought it was poor as well. Totally convoluted plot, tried way too hard.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2021, 01:15:10 pm »
Only Fools & Horses, Seinfeld, Downton Abbey, Glee, The Sopranos, The Wire, The Apprentice, most of CSI/NCIS-type shows...

The Beatles, the Libertines, the Strokes, Oasis, Radiohead, Suede, The Smiths, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, Adele, Pearl Jam, Joy Division, Pink Floyd...

Any of the Harry Potter/LOTR books (but I do enjoy the film adaptations), literally anything by Quentin Tarantino (self-indulgent wankfests), Lost In Translation, Star Wars (all of them), most Oscar winners actually, Love Actually, The Breakfast Club, Goodfellas...

I'm sure there's a ton more I'm forgetting.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2021, 01:16:09 pm »
Every single Harry Potter film, all of the Lord of the Rings films and Game of Thrones.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2021, 01:18:50 pm »
Black Panther - I can understand it being popular given the lack of black superhero movies preceding it but critically I don't see how it's one of (the?) highest rated of them all.
Gogglebox - It's a struggle to even stay in the room when it's on, lots of obnoxious people exaggerating how obnoxious they are for the cameras and people apparently loving it.
2001: A Space Odyssey - Might've been great if you saw it when it first came out but boring as fuck now.

Offline joe buck

• Kopite
  • La La La La La Goose Goose Goose Goose.
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2021, 01:19:26 pm »
The irishman- zzzzzzzzzzz

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2021, 01:21:33 pm »
The Deer Hunter, couldn't stand it.
I passed out in the wedding scene.. I came back round and it was still going ....  duuuullllll
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2021, 01:46:35 pm »
I passed out in the wedding scene.. I came back round and it was still going ....  duuuullllll

you missed the best bit - you'll have to go back and watch it again  :wave

yeh deffo harry fucking potter - shite

the kill bill movies - tarantino is a college student film maker obsessed with ultra violence
you only ever hear people say 'wow did you see how he cut that guy in 2' or 'the sexy chick with the sword' or 'the way he was cool then just shot him through the head' meh

bohemian rhapsody - really over-blown good vibrations rip off - it's okay but not the genius grandiose mini-operetta that it's lauded to be
the best bit is the rock bit at the end (and i like freddy and queen)

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend