Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 279346 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2013, 12:31:20 pm »
I'll have a look at both of those. All the people who go on about 'PC gone mad' should watch and learn.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2013, 06:22:07 pm »
Just watched 'King of Kong' documentary that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Really really enjoyable watch and available on YouTube!

royhendo

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2013, 10:33:49 pm »
Watching the Storyville on the US War on Drugs. Pretty compelling.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2013, 04:38:06 am »
Well, just finished Paradise Lost pt 1. Incredible viewing really, going to head straight into pt 2 now as the story is so compelling.

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2013, 04:45:44 am »
Well, just finished Paradise Lost pt 1. Incredible viewing really, going to head straight into pt 2 now as the story is so compelling.

Its brilliant mate. Each one is very long but well worth the watch! Incredible story!

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2013, 09:47:43 am »
Echo the thoughts on the Paradise Lost docos, they're brilliant.

Just watched 'Searching for Sugar Man'. Been meaning to watch it for ages and it didn't disappoint. Will leave you smiling.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2013, 09:51:24 am »
Just watched 'The Impostor'. Very, very good.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2013, 12:05:36 am »
Well after a long weekend in Australia I have watched heaps of docos! Finished all the Paradise lost series -  6 hours worth of documentary but well worth it. Adding to that I also watched:

The Imposter - mental.
The Queen of Versaille - about a family that were riding high trying to build a house as a replica of Versaille until the GFC hits. Surprisingly good.
The Inside Man

Would recommend any of them.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2013, 02:03:39 am »
"Trinity and beyond The Atomic Bomb Movie"......great documentary abouth the U.S bomb testing in the 1950's . Some superb footage and cracking soundtrack too, very scary how many bombs the U.S tested on islands back then,,,,
Oh and William Shatner aka Kirk himself narrates....what more do you want.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:06:00 am by Armchair expert »

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2013, 10:56:09 am »
Searching for Sugarman' - excellent documentary.

'Catfish' - also very good once the pretence was dropped and the film became a sincere study of a troubled woman.

'The Imposter' - a fraud wasn't it? 'Imposture' would have been a more honest title.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Zinc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • All Good, Clean Fun...(whatever that means)...
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2013, 01:46:14 pm »
Watching the Storyville on the US War on Drugs. Pretty compelling.

Was that called 'The House I Live In'? (Or something like that). Watched that too. Very good documentary.
twitter: @ampersandad

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2013, 03:48:20 pm »
'American Nomads' - Richard Grant. Highly recommend watching it.

Description
Beneath the America we think we know lies a nation hidden from view - a nomadic nation, living on the roads, the rails and in the wild open spaces. In its deserts, forests, mountain ranges and on the plains, a huge population of modern nomads pursues its version of the American dream - to live free from the world of careers, mortgages and the white picket fence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QKbIb8wcz0

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2013, 08:14:17 pm »
YouTube channel for Jonathan Meades:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MeadesShrine/videos?view=1&flow=grid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8MEm3eVPNU&list=PL97777AF55184DDD3 (On the Bandwagon has a section on Liverpool)

The Birmigham and Scotland (Off-kilter) ones are rather good. The France series is my favorite.

Meades has just the right amount of sneering intellectual snobbishness, calling bourgeois mediocrity for what it is, takes me back to my modernism youth.

BTW he is also on BBC4 tonight on Essex: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qfr95/Jonathan_Meades_The_Joy_of_Essex/
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline El_Macca_17

• Legacy Fan
  • Out here on the perimeter there are no stars.
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2013, 10:54:03 pm »
The Queen of Versaille - about a family that were riding high trying to build a house as a replica of Versaille until the GFC hits. Surprisingly good.

Watched this on BBC4 last night and found it fascinating. The scene where she arrives at the Car Rental desk at the airport and asks what the name of her driver is was priceless.
"The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2013, 12:01:36 am »
Watched this on BBC4 last night and found it fascinating. The scene where she arrives at the Car Rental desk at the airport and asks what the name of her driver is was priceless.

Yes that was a great bit, and "Mummy, why are all these people on our plane!" Very fortuitous for the film-maker as well seeing as though they started out doing a film about a family riding high and then boom - GFC. I actually really liked her by the end, didn;t seem quite the bimbo / gold digger you thought she was at the start.

Watched The Dixie Chicks - Shut Up and Sing last night. Been meaning to for ages, well worth it. Amazing what happened to them for just one remark. And from the country that prides itself on free speech as well!

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2013, 02:10:15 am »
I have not seen "Searching For Sugarman" yet, but came across this item today which may interest:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jan/30/rodriguez-returns-studio-after-42-years
We are Liverpool!

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 2, 2013, 05:01:36 pm »
Going to have to watch the storyville Queen of Versaille one, mates at work raving about it.

Also - When the Levees broke - from Spike Lee is brilliant.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #137 on: February 2, 2013, 10:42:25 pm »
http://vimeo.com/941073 - Style wars. Looking at the graffiti/breakdancing/hip hop culture in early 80's New York. Pretty interesting to be honest, just over an hour long.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 3, 2013, 12:54:56 am »
http://inequalityforall.com/

This is reviewed in the Observer today. Looks promising.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 3, 2013, 01:43:27 am »
How the Mafia started Las Vegas and ran it for decades.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/x7ZR8oyCJPg?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/x7ZR8oyCJPg?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>
« Last Edit: February 3, 2013, 01:56:06 am by soxfan »
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 3, 2013, 01:55:31 am »
The story about the personal and political aspects of the first Ali-Frazier fight, which many consider to be the biggest sporting event of the 20th Century.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sPI6dBgmokw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sPI6dBgmokw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 4, 2013, 02:00:08 am »
http://inequalityforall.com/

This is reviewed in the Observer today. Looks promising.

Yep I read that article, does indeed look good. Will be keeping an eye out for it.

Couple more docos knocked off over the weekend.

Maxed Out - about credit card debt and the practises used by the credit card companies. Shocking to be fair although after watching Enron and Inside Job I wasn't surprised.
New World Order - Interesting in parts but the people that spruik their conspiracy theories annoy the hell out of me. Even if they got one thing right out of ten they are that nutty that no-one would listen to thwe correct theory!

Also got Searching for Sugarman after the recommendations on here. Looking forward to that one!

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #142 on: February 4, 2013, 02:30:27 am »
Serious questions with no disrespect to anybody.

- is there an over saturation of documentaries on the the topic of WWII?
- are WWII documentaries doing the right thing of not separating the aggressors and their descendants who may not even know how to hold a gun?  (Sins of the fathers)
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 4, 2013, 03:28:32 pm »
Serious questions with no disrespect to anybody.

- is there an over saturation of documentaries on the the topic of WWII?
- are WWII documentaries doing the right thing of not separating the aggressors and their descendants who may not even know how to hold a gun?  (Sins of the fathers)

Can you name some documentaries which does the latter?

Offline thekremlin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • nothing like a nice cup of tea
« Reply #144 on: February 4, 2013, 04:06:53 pm »
Sound It Out - All about the last surviving record shop in Teesside. Excellent documentary. (And I'm in it for about half a second).
Autoluminescent - Great documentary about Roland S. Howard, the guitarist from the Birthday Party (Nick Cave's old band).

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 4, 2013, 04:42:18 pm »
Rules of Engagement about the Waco, Texas siege is bananas. Brilliantly put together. The FBI and the ATF come off as evil morons.  Bill Hicks was obsessed with their behaviour during it. Well worth a watch.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 4, 2013, 04:44:12 pm »
Rules of Engagement about the Waco, Texas siege is bananas. Brilliantly put together. The FBI and the ATF come off as evil morons.  Bill Hicks was obsessed with their behaviour during it. Well worth a watch.
Yep that is brilliant.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 5, 2013, 02:16:30 am »

Cool, I'll look out for that one.

Watched another couple last night....

Restrepo - following a group of US soldiers as they go through a 15 month tour of Afghanistan.

Standard Operating Procedure - about what happened at Abu Graib. Incredible really as I feel that the soldiers there were hung out to dry. What I also didn;t realise was the sheer amount of photos/videos that they took whilst there. Pretty confronting.

Seen that Sound It Out one mentioned above as well a while ago. Was really good and heartening to see a good old fashioned record shop still going!

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 8, 2013, 08:33:36 pm »
For anyone who have used The Pirate Bay this is a must watch. Subtitles can get a little annoying but brilliant to see what goes behind the scenes to allow us to file-share!

Just up on YouTube for free! :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eTOKXCEwo_8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eTOKXCEwo_8</a>

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 8, 2013, 09:02:31 pm »
This thread is great, watched the imposter and it was brilliant.

I would recommend Black Tar heroin the dark end of the street,

Very very bleak but engrossing.

Mclibel, is not the best put together piece, but the story is really interesting.
No time for caution.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2013, 01:49:06 am »
Watched Jiro dreams about sushi, beautiful, art taken to its zenith. The zen of sushi.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2013, 04:00:13 am »
Watched Searching for Sugarman last night. What a fantastic story, highly recommended!

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2013, 10:45:13 am »
The story about the personal and political aspects of the first Ali-Frazier fight, which many consider to be the biggest sporting event of the 20th Century.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sPI6dBgmokw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sPI6dBgmokw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

I watched that, fascinating stuff. The bit where Frazier is watching video of Ali mumbling away in an interview (obviously stricken with Parkinson's) and then saying "I did that to him" was pretty bleak. Mind you, the lengths to which Ali and his entourage went to denigrate his former friend was fairly ordinary as well.
We are Liverpool!

Offline longball

• scrotum like a letter L
  • Kopite
  • Agora é a hora.
« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2013, 10:27:06 pm »
Grizzly Man - Maybe the most unintentionally funny movie I've ever seen. Just bizarre all round, from the creepy dude in the morgue, his friends that seemed to be acting for the cameras, the weird vibe from his parents. And Threadwell himself, completely batshit insane, if there was anyone that needed sectioning....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/icUq7Hghsgc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/icUq7Hghsgc</a>

I won't spoil the ending. :P

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:29:56 pm by longball »

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2013, 01:28:05 am »

Thanks for that, watched it last night. Unreal - how that was allowed I'll never know. Weird thing was that although I remember it happening I couldn't remember how long the seige lasted for! Crazy.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2013, 01:49:59 am »
Ok got a couple of good new ones that we watched last night. I'm on a massive doco seek and find at the minute!

The Invisible War - nominated for an Oscar this year. About rape in the US military, some of the statistics are frightening. Highly recommended.

West Of Memphis - again nominated for an Oscar this year. Obviously about the West Memphis Three, produced by Peter Jackson and Damien Echols who was the lad put on death row for the crime. Was worried it would be a rehash of the three Paradise Lost films but there was enough new info and interviews in there. Lots of Eddie Vedder as well!

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2013, 03:49:43 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYoHiM-Uko?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYoHiM-Uko?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Excellent doc about the Jonestown Massacre and the weird world of the People's Temple.

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2013, 05:00:01 pm »
Just came across a few crime documentaries about three individuals called 'The Memphis 3'. Fascinating story.

Would just like to say thanks for recommending these, had never heard of this story before.

Also Searching for Sugar Man is brilliant.

Offline That Kennedy moment

• "Down in 1...down in 1...or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..... *pause* .....47, 48, 49..... *sigh*.....
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2013, 06:06:04 pm »
The House I Live In.

This is imo the best documentary about the war on drug's I've seen since The Last White Hope,it's a damning look at the failure of this so called war.

Agree with this - a stunning film, one of the best things I've seen on TV in years.

Two other documentaries that stand out, over the past decade…

The Secret Treasures of Zeugma, a Horizon film in 2000, detailed the discovery by French archaeologists in Turkey of a town of Roman villas discovered in a place where the Turkish authorities were about to build a dam, and flood the surrounding area, destroying the Roman city for ever. Absolutely brilliant film: if the dam had been abandoned, the Turks would possibly have been able to excavate the most amazing expanse of Roman ruins in the world. But irrigation won out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/zeugma.shtml

The other was a BBC Panorama documentary in 2000, on the massacre at Sabra and Shatila refugee camps in Beirut, in September 1982. One of the most shocking and enlightening accounts of the slaughter of 1,700 Palestinian refugees by the Christian Phalanghist militia, while the IDF, under the command of Ariel Sharon, turned a blind eye. The film caused an international outcry and was banned in several countries.

'I'd rather have a quick wank, a cup of tea and read the Beano frankly.'
Cornelius, 8 September 2008

Offline DerKaiser

• It's German for "TheCheesyRanter". Likes young boys.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2013, 06:37:25 pm »
Conspiracy of Silence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3IsCPOADc4

Covers a child sex ring so massive it reached to Whitehouse, exposing numerous high ranking politicians, was actually pulled from tv just before it was going to be aired - beyond disturbing.

The Civil War

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyTS3J3a-q4

Epic short series on the American Civil War - best I have watched.