Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1888341 times)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #15080 on: January 21, 2023, 07:30:40 pm »
Either way - since he's been playing after the WC we look much better in the midfield.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #15081 on: January 21, 2023, 07:33:27 pm »
Again... getting worryingly/dangerously optimistic about Naby.

And the roundabout goes 'round and around...

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #15082 on: January 21, 2023, 07:36:54 pm »
how can he be gassed? is it just match fitness? maybe it's worth keeping him in for another bit

He's basically doing pre season again. Pretty standard for him to be fatigued after an hour in those circumstances. He was often a 60 minute player even at his best though.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #15083 on: January 21, 2023, 07:47:41 pm »
Good again. Midfield fell apart when he came off.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15084 on: January 21, 2023, 07:53:31 pm »
how can he be gassed? is it just match fitness? maybe it's worth keeping him in for another bit
I honestly dont know. We can say he's getting back to fitness now but honestly when he was playing regularly he still gassed off towards the end of the 90. I guess his stamina is just not that good. Odd for an African player.

Another thing I notice is he has lost his burst of pace that gets him past players in midfield. Probably due to the myriads of injuries he got over the years.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #15085 on: January 21, 2023, 07:58:26 pm »
Good again. Midfield fell apart when he came off.

Was just about to post this. Considering how limited his game time has been, he’s been pretty decent. Anytime he’s came on we’ve been more solid in the middle and anytime he comes off, we seem worse so I’d play him until he breaks at this point in time. No point managing his minutes as he’s a ticking time bomb anyway

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15086 on: January 21, 2023, 08:23:26 pm »
He might have made us a bit more solid in midfield, but in the first half (until and apart from the pass to Salah) he was a significant factor in us not being able to keep possession or build an attack. 63% completion on just 27 passes is dreadful for a central midfielder and would see Henderson/Elliott/Jones taken out and shot on here. Drifts nicely into pockets of space, but too often fluffed the next bit.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15087 on: January 22, 2023, 03:03:59 am »
He might have made us a bit more solid in midfield, but in the first half (until and apart from the pass to Salah) he was a significant factor in us not being able to keep possession or build an attack. 63% completion on just 27 passes is dreadful for a central midfielder and would see Henderson/Elliott/Jones taken out and shot on here. Drifts nicely into pockets of space, but too often fluffed the next bit.
It often takes two to have a 'misplaced pass'.

The whole side's levels and confidence are low, and their nervousness, high. Everything begins to go astray at times like this, nothing seems to work.

We need to rediscover a spark and our mojo and burst of confidence from somewhere.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #15088 on: January 24, 2023, 07:33:26 am »
I think Keita’s pass to Salah with the outside of his right boot was one of the rare moments of quality in the entire game.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #15089 on: January 27, 2023, 11:12:48 am »
I’d keep him. Saves us having to buy another midfielder and i don’t think finding someone better would be at all easy.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15090 on: January 27, 2023, 11:17:16 am »
I’d keep him. Saves us having to buy another midfielder and i don’t think finding someone better would be at all easy.

Saves us buying another midfielder until he inevitably misses 30 games next season and we're all wishing we had signed a new CM.

If we're struggling next season, nobody sand is going to be saying it's because we let Naby go.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15091 on: January 27, 2023, 11:37:34 am »
Saves us buying another midfielder until he inevitably misses 30 games next season and we're all wishing we had signed a new CM.

If we're struggling next season, nobody sand is going to be saying it's because we let Naby go.

Midfield numbers are not the problem. Not once this season have we been forced to play a non-midfielder in midfield. The problem is if Naby is injured the quality / fitness / energy drops.

33, 27, 16, 40

Those are the number of games Naby has played each season when here. 27+ in 3 out of 4 seasons. Or an average of 29 games per season. That’s absolutely fine if he’s not relied upon to such an extent as this season.

Thiago, Bellingham, Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Nunes, Jones, Bajcetic, Milner is an absolutely fine group of midfield options for a title challenge.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15092 on: January 27, 2023, 12:03:36 pm »
Now do starts.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #15093 on: January 27, 2023, 12:29:39 pm »

You're insane.

Keeping Keita would be one the crazy piece of business we've ever done.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15094 on: January 27, 2023, 12:36:32 pm »
Now do starts.

Why? Appearances show why he was available to play as a minimum. There will also be some when he was on the bench, could come on, but wasn’t asked to.

You're insane.

Keeping Keita would be one the crazy piece of business we've ever done.

It wouldn’t. In terms of quality, I can think of few others in world football that we could legitimately buy. Baring in mind we have a limited budget, saving on a transfer fee would be useful. He’s also literally our only midfielder in his peak years.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #15095 on: January 27, 2023, 12:38:48 pm »
Why? Appearances show why he was available to play as a minimum. There will also be some when he was on the bench, could come on, but wasn’t asked to.

It wouldn’t. In terms of quality, I can think of few others in world football that we could legitimately buy. Baring in mind we have a limited budget, saving on a transfer fee would be useful. He’s also literally our only midfielder in his peak years.

When. He. Plays.

Which is hardly ever.

Insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and over again expecting a different outcome.

Just because he's going through his "I'm fit actually playing phase" Which lasts a couple of game before he's back on the side lines being injured again, people want to give him a new contract.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15096 on: January 27, 2023, 01:05:59 pm »

And therein lies the other issue with Naby - even when healthy, which he was for much of last season, Klopp still doesn’t trust him. 40 appearances last year sounds nice, but he barely played 2,000 minutes last season. That’s not good.

He’s already missed 20 games this season due to injury and will inevitably miss more at some point. Signing him to a new contract would be insanity, to put it politely.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #15097 on: January 27, 2023, 01:15:27 pm »

And therein lies the other issue with Naby - even when healthy, which he was for much of last season, Klopp still doesn’t trust him. 40 appearances last year sounds nice, but he barely played 2,000 minutes last season. That’s not good.

He’s already missed 20 games this season due to injury and will inevitably miss more at some point. Signing him to a new contract would be insanity, to put it politely.

Keïta 21/21, 40 apps, 2086 mins
Thiago 21/22, 39 apps, 2386 mins

I don't think anyone would try to say Thiago wasn't trusted. It was pretty clear we were rotating them both last reason and to great effect. Yes Thiago was first choice of the two, but there was no noticeable drop off with Keïta in the team.

He played in 23 league games, winning 17 of them and drawing 5 (including Man City, 2x Spurs and Chelsea) and losing just 1 game. We didn't do too badly in the cups either where he played his other 17 games.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15098 on: January 27, 2023, 01:29:44 pm »
Midfield numbers are not the problem. Not once this season have we been forced to play a non-midfielder in midfield. The problem is if Naby is injured the quality / fitness / energy drops.

33, 27, 16, 40

Those are the number of games Naby has played each season when here. 27+ in 3 out of 4 seasons. Or an average of 29 games per season. That’s absolutely fine if he’s not relied upon to such an extent as this season.

Thiago, Bellingham, Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Nunes, Jones, Bajcetic, Milner is an absolutely fine group of midfield options for a title challenge.

No its not.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15099 on: January 27, 2023, 01:32:21 pm »

Keïta 21/21, 40 apps, 2086 mins
Thiago 21/22, 39 apps, 2386 mins

I don't think anyone would try to say Thiago wasn't trusted. It was pretty clear we were rotating them both last reason and to great effect. Yes Thiago was first choice of the two, but there was no noticeable drop off with Keïta in the team.

He played in 23 league games, winning 17 of them and drawing 5 (including Man City, 2x Spurs and Chelsea) and losing just 1 game. We didn't do too badly in the cups either where he played his other 17 games.

Thiago missed 23 games last season due to injury, compared to Naby’s 8, and still played more minutes?

That just reinforces my point mate.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15100 on: January 27, 2023, 02:03:08 pm »
Thiago missed 23 games last season due to injury, compared to Naby’s 8, and still played more minutes?

That just reinforces my point mate.

Thiago is our first choice midfielder. Keita was our fourth or third. Of course he would play more of the available minutes.

I think before this season times have been so good that people have forgotten that players can go through patches if no seasons of bad form. I for one trust that we will see Fabinho return to his usual self at some point making him more than good enough to be part of a title winning team, rotating with Henderson and Bajcetic.

It would also be very out of character for Klopp to ditch these players after a single season of struggle, so I would suggest people get used to having them round. Keita will likely leave but there have been fairly regular rumours of negotiations happening still so I wouldn’t be shocked or disappointed if he was to stay.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 02:14:48 pm by mikey_LFC »

Offline grenny158

• Main Stander
  • Be kind.
« Reply #15101 on: January 27, 2023, 02:13:19 pm »
When. He. Plays.

Which is hardly ever.

Insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and over again expecting a different outcome.

Just because he's going through his "I'm fit actually playing phase" Which lasts a couple of game before he's back on the side lines being injured again, people want to give him a new contract.

I would suggest it is very few people who feel this way.

Very very few.

Really few.

Hardly any.

One.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15102 on: January 27, 2023, 02:21:39 pm »
When. He. Plays.

Which is hardly ever.

I’ve felt we should give him a contract all season to be fair, back when people were saying he’d never play for us again and that he wasn’t really injured but sidelining himself to see out his contract or something else along the Coutinho lines.

I would suggest it is very few people who feel this way.

Very very few.

Really few.

Hardly any.

One.

It’s not uncommon for people to argue that he should have started the champions league final and perhaps that would have seen us win.

It’s not uncommon for people to argue that we should have more players between 25 and 28.

In the pub before the game, it’s not been uncommon for people to argue he should have been starting each game since Boxing Day.

Do you really think there are so few who would have him stay as part of the squad? Maybe they just don’t go on about it quite as regularly as his detractors.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15103 on: January 27, 2023, 02:25:03 pm »
I’ve felt we should give him a contract all season to be fair, back when people were saying he’d never play for us again and that he wasn’t really injured but sidelining himself to see out his contract or something else along the Coutinho lines.

It’s not uncommon for people to argue that he should have started the champions league final and perhaps that would have seen us win.

It’s not uncommon for people to argue that we should have more players between 25 and 28.

In the pub before the game, it’s not been uncommon for people to argue he should have been starting each game since Boxing Day.

Do you really think there are so few who would have him stay as part of the squad? Maybe they just don’t go on about it quite as regularly as his detractors.

He is 28 but 28 whilst being decimated by injuries. He doesn't look aggressive as he once was. We are struggling to get players off our books now and we absolutely have to take our chance to do that now.

Offline grenny158

• Main Stander
  • Be kind.
« Reply #15104 on: January 27, 2023, 02:29:51 pm »

Perhaps so, Mikey .. I'll admit that my post was something of an exaggeration.

No point to 'what if's' though .. the only reality for me is that Keita has proven himself to be hugely unreliable and, at a time when we need reliability and consistency over many other things, it is hardly Naby who inspires confidence in those vital areas. Our midfield needs to be rebuilt with far sterner stuff then Keita is made of.

If we retained his services and extended his contract, it would provide one of the greatest "WTF??" moments of my life .. and this time I am not exaggerating.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 02:37:26 pm by grenny158 »

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15105 on: January 27, 2023, 02:33:33 pm »
He is 28 but 28 whilst being decimated by injuries. He doesn't look aggressive as he once was. We are struggling to get players off our books now and we absolutely have to take our chance to do that now.

27, but I take your point. I still think he has utility, some don’t. What will be will be.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15106 on: January 28, 2023, 01:53:07 am »
It’s hard to know if Klopp doesn’t trust Keita or is protecting him against further injury. Keita started two final (albeit with Thiago getting injured in the warm up for one of the finals). I absolutely think Keita should have started the CL final. Henderson wasn’t in the best form and Thiago and Fabinho had just returned from injury.

Also, I think Fabinho and Henderson have been poor pretty much all season and Keita is supposed to come in and be markedly better despite just recently returning from injury. Keita needs to build up to being match fit as opposed to being physically fit and maybe Klopp is being careful with him.

As for the contract situation, who knows. If we get investment or there is a take over then sure allow him to leave for free as there will be funds to overhaul the midfield. If there aren’t funds to overhaul the midfield then the club could offer Keita a short term contract to protect his value. As things stand we are going to lose three midfielders in the summer and we may have a very limited budget (especially with no CL money) to replace them.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15107 on: January 28, 2023, 10:18:43 pm »
It’s hard to know if Klopp doesn’t trust Keita or is protecting him against further injury. Keita started two final (albeit with Thiago getting injured in the warm up for one of the finals). I absolutely think Keita should have started the CL final. Henderson wasn’t in the best form and Thiago and Fabinho had just returned from injury.

Also, I think Fabinho and Henderson have been poor pretty much all season and Keita is supposed to come in and be markedly better despite just recently returning from injury. Keita needs to build up to being match fit as opposed to being physically fit and maybe Klopp is being careful with him.

As for the contract situation, who knows. If we get investment or there is a take over then sure allow him to leave for free as there will be funds to overhaul the midfield. If there aren’t funds to overhaul the midfield then the club could offer Keita a short term contract to protect his value. As things stand we are going to lose three midfielders in the summer and we may have a very limited budget (especially with no CL money) to replace them.

It's the same conversations every fucking year though.

"We need to get him match fit". Yes then he'll get match fit, play a few games and get injured again and we can have the same conversation in a few months again.

He's had his chance, he's not the answer, his contract is up, let's put this sad affair behind us.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #15108 on: January 28, 2023, 10:53:42 pm »
I don't have a problem either with him staying. But I think he'll go anyway. And it's better for him probably. Needs to kick-start his career somewhere.

That said, we'll literally have no reliable first choice midfielders next season. Milner and Ox, gone. Jones not good enough, should go on loan or be sold. Henderson will take Milner's role. Fabinho at best is 2nd choice for the 6 position, at worst should be sold. And Thiago is injury prone and aging as well.

If Bajcetic turns out to be as mature as a Pedri/Gavi then we need to buy 2 starting midfielders. If not, 3. If Keita stays, those numbers can be reduced to 2 and 1 which is more realistic.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15109 on: January 29, 2023, 12:36:33 am »
I think he'll go. He'll get a bigger pay packet and a signing on bonus if he goes on a free and he'll probably be playing Champions League football which we won't. It's a no brainer for a 28 year old.

In a perfect world we'd let him, Ox and Milner go, bring in two younger and faster midfielders to replace them. However, if we're going all in on Bellingham we'll end up having to pay 100m euros assuming he'll come to us. I can't see us then spending another 30-50m on another midfielder. So I worry that we'll end up short of quality in midfield again. Especially when god knows what Fabinho's going to look like next season.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15110 on: January 29, 2023, 08:44:26 am »
I think he'll go. He'll get a bigger pay packet and a signing on bonus if he goes on a free and he'll probably be playing Champions League football which we won't. It's a no brainer for a 28 year old.

In a perfect world we'd let him, Ox and Milner go, bring in two younger and faster midfielders to replace them. However, if we're going all in on Bellingham we'll end up having to pay 100m euros assuming he'll come to us. I can't see us then spending another 30-50m on another midfielder. So I worry that we'll end up short of quality in midfield again. Especially when god knows what Fabinho's going to look like next season.

Not sure why everyone is so sure this isn’t an extended dip for Fabinho rather than a career decline? If we are saying the midfield around him hasn’t offered enough protection then that’s at least partly to blame and given his age it would be quite a surprise if he never revived his form between now and his retirement.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15111 on: January 29, 2023, 09:53:36 am »
He's had his chance, he's not the answer, his contract is up, let's put this sad affair behind us.
Quite. Nothing more painful than unfulfilled potential and Keita has been such a massive disappointment, the biggest of Klopp's career you'd imagine. In an alternate universe, we'd have signed Goretzka instead.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15112 on: January 29, 2023, 09:58:18 am »
What ever happens at the end of the season happens. What is important is what he contributes between now and the last game of the season. After that, I’m okay with whatever the club decides including a contract extension.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15113 on: January 29, 2023, 10:02:19 am »
Naby Keita Watch. I bet his Rolex is broken too.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15114 on: January 29, 2023, 10:03:44 am »
Naby Keita Watch. I bet his Rolex is broken too.

It took you 378 pages to come up with that gem.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15115 on: January 29, 2023, 10:09:33 am »
It took you 378 pages to come up with that gem.
Haven't been on here for a couple of years give or take looking at the Everton thread and definitely not to read about Naby.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15116 on: January 29, 2023, 10:10:57 am »
Haven't been on here for a couple of years give or take looking at the Everton thread and definitely not to read about Naby.

And yet here you are on a Keita thread.

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15117 on: January 29, 2023, 10:12:13 am »
Loved his contribution v Chelsea when we had a throw in in the last few minutes and he sloped away. I would carry him to the airport myself only I am lazier than he is.

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15118 on: January 29, 2023, 10:13:06 am »
And yet here you are on a Keita thread.
Hoping there had been an offer for him. He let me down once again.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15119 on: January 29, 2023, 10:14:06 am »
Loved his contribution v Chelsea when we had a throw in in the last few minutes and he sloped away. I would carry him to the airport myself only I am lazier than he is.

Your contribution to the Keita thread after 378 pages was certainly worth the wait.