Author Topic: Sunderland  (Read 178975 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sunderland
« Reply #1440 on: April 1, 2020, 08:54:34 pm »
haha indeed, surely hes playing to the cameras, he mustve watched the first season and thought I could be a film star here.
think theres a bit of that but let’s be fair they’ve been a shitshow for years so I can’t blame him for his approach

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1441 on: April 4, 2020, 03:26:15 am »
think theres a bit of that but let’s be fair they’ve been a shitshow for years so I can’t blame him for his approach

Yep, especially when you have staff oblivious to the mess they're in, they didn't know they were paying £7 million a year interest on the debt alone, they again were completely dismissive when he was trying to get a target for over 40k attendance for a match, they managed to get 46k new record for that division, the staff just had a culture of sending the bills off for the then owner to pay at the end of every month, i wonder if any of them are still there.

There was also that expensive cryogenic chamber which only the former CEO used.

I didn't think the manager was good, how many times they were dominating & winning only to sit back try & defend 1-0 for it to go pear shaped & end up getting a point or losing, i found it stuck out more the owners were trying to get players in rather than the manager banging on doors & telling the owners i want this player ecc.

They were railroaded by Maja leaving, he was always going to leave regardless what Sunderland were going to offer him, so his agent picks up more money
#Sausages

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1442 on: April 5, 2020, 01:17:28 pm »
Yep, especially when you have staff oblivious to the mess they're in, they didn't know they were paying £7 million a year interest on the debt alone, they again were completely dismissive when he was trying to get a target for over 40k attendance for a match, they managed to get 46k new record for that division, the staff just had a culture of sending the bills off for the then owner to pay at the end of every month, i wonder if any of them are still there.
it seemed like the ultimate pisstake culture, doesn’t matter how good or bad you are some rich fella you never see who doesn’t make any of you accountable will make up the difference, bit different when it’s not multi billionaires owning you which is probably a bit of a culture shock to many of them

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1443 on: April 5, 2020, 02:05:47 pm »
Watched 3 episodes of Season 2 so far and it’s been enjoyable, but the editing is still shit.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1444 on: April 5, 2020, 02:13:31 pm »
The close ups on the fans at the games look staged to fuck.
AHA!

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1445 on: April 5, 2020, 04:10:39 pm »
What was the deal with the Spanish non-Executive Director that was sitting next to the owner at all the games? He wasn't featured much, but whenever he spoke he came across as completely clueless about football in general. They never explained who he was, how he got there or what his role was.

Edit: just looked it up and he is a Uruguayan businessman/politician with shares in the Club. A billionaire too.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2020, 04:14:18 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1446 on: April 5, 2020, 04:31:20 pm »
Watched the whole thing, love it. Pure comedy, I think the north east accent + anger is box office.

"you canit say it cos youd be leyen"  ;D

Their decision not to do another series was correct given the virus situation.

They've definitely gained a lot of fans out of this, infact one investor only heard of them after seeing them on Netflix. I always used to hate Sunderland, now I wish them well, those fans have suffered a lot.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1447 on: April 5, 2020, 06:23:15 pm »
The close ups on the fans at the games look staged to fuck.

They’re genuine I think, but not actual reactions to the accompanying action on the pitch they show at the same time.

This is the shite editing I’ve mentioned previously. When they’re showing the first match of the season, the players are lining up for handshakes, you can see the match officials in black, couple of seconds later the camera cuts to players then running into their half and you can see the officials all in light blue, so it’s from a different match. Just ruins what otherwise would be a brilliant documentary.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1448 on: April 5, 2020, 06:29:41 pm »
They’re genuine I think, but not actual reactions to the accompanying action on the pitch they show at the same time.

This is the shite editing I’ve mentioned previously. When they’re showing the first match of the season, the players are lining up for handshakes, you can see the match officials in black, couple of seconds later the camera cuts to players then running into their half and you can see the officials all in light blue, so it’s from a different match. Just ruins what otherwise would be a brilliant documentary.

On transfer deadline day to, the time on the computer keeps changing. One minute it is 22:40 then it's 19:30 and so on. At one point, it is bang on 23:00 (when the window closes) but is accompanied by audio saying they have 4 hours left. Next shot, its the guys talking to each other and its light outside.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #1449 on: April 5, 2020, 08:36:26 pm »

The meeting with the three PRO staff was tough watch . They couldnt see how pissed and serious he was and I guess one lost their job .

Not buying that about the manager based on clips in the series and the opinion of a non footballing director . Maybe it is true but cant say so based on show . Manager didnt want Greggs and only found out about Maja been sold on sky sports so was an element of directors playing football manager . Surely give Maja a bumper contract with release clause instead of the 3 million on Greggs

They were railroaded by Maja leaving, he was always going to leave regardless what Sunderland were going to offer him, so his agent picks up more money
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1450 on: April 5, 2020, 08:53:26 pm »
Would have just been better off letting maja run his contract down and have him leave for feck all but with them back in the championship

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1451 on: April 5, 2020, 09:32:17 pm »
Would have just been better off letting maja run his contract down and have him leave for feck all but with them back in the championship

But there was no guarantee that they would have been promoted had he stayed. I think him leaving was overplayed in the documentary. They were in a play off spot when he left and they finished in a play off spot. But they made it look like they had won pretty much every game up to him leaving.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1452 on: April 5, 2020, 09:44:49 pm »
The guy obsessed with the Ibiza club music  :lmao

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1453 on: April 5, 2020, 09:54:55 pm »

Then what happened if Maja decided to down tools & not play for the rest of the season, apparently Maja has the same agents as Jadon Sancho.
#Sausages

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1454 on: April 5, 2020, 10:29:27 pm »
The guy obsessed with the Ibiza club music  :lmao

Its like having Ricky Gervais as director, I loved when he came up with "I want people here to look at me and think, this is what good looks like" ….Brilliant.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1455 on: April 5, 2020, 11:25:00 pm »
But there was no guarantee that they would have been promoted had he stayed. I think him leaving was overplayed in the documentary. They were in a play off spot when he left and they finished in a play off spot. But they made it look like they had won pretty much every game up to him leaving.
id wager he would have done more than the petered out will grigg

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #1456 on: April 6, 2020, 10:16:37 am »
Then what happened if Maja decided to down tools & not play for the rest of the season, apparently Maja has the same agents as Jadon Sancho.

I read (source below) that Maja was on £1k a week at Sunderland but they offered him a lot more to stay.
However, he is reportedly on £56k a week at Bordeaux.  Of course he would want to go, and I don't think he would have been happy at being told he had to stay to be honest.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/josh-majas-staggering-pay-rise-revealed-after-leaving-sunderland-bordeaux-127739

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1457 on: April 6, 2020, 11:18:27 am »
Yeah getting a 1,400% pay rise to live in a much nicer city and play at a much higher level, can’t blame him for wanting to go

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1458 on: April 6, 2020, 06:58:12 pm »
I read (source below) that Maja was on £1k a week at Sunderland but they offered him a lot more to stay.
However, he is reportedly on £56k a week at Bordeaux.  Of course he would want to go, and I don't think he would have been happy at being told he had to stay to be honest.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/josh-majas-staggering-pay-rise-revealed-after-leaving-sunderland-bordeaux-127739

One of the issues that came up in the series was his agent would earn a £1 million bonus for selling Maja abroad, so it was all about his agent. & Maja was always going to go regardless what improved contract Sunderland offered.
#Sausages

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1459 on: April 6, 2020, 10:40:15 pm »
Need a footy fix so having a look at series 2. First series was brilliant.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1460 on: April 7, 2020, 01:40:39 pm »
Placed all their players and staff on the furlough scheme.

Offline Paully

• Not the BlackAndWhitey one!
  • Kopite
« Reply #1461 on: April 7, 2020, 01:43:46 pm »
Sunderland AFC can today confirm that its first-team players, contracted academy players and backroom staff have recently been placed on furlough leave due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Last week, the FA, the Premier League and the EFL announced they would be collectively postponing their competitions until such time that it is safe for them to resume.

At this moment in time, SAFC has no intention to ask any players or staff to take a wage reduction or deferral on their salary, and the club remains fully committed to ensuring all employees are paid in full.

A small number of staff, including manager Phil Parkinson, continue to work from home, and the club’s priority remains the health and wellbeing of its players, staff, supporters and local community during this unprecedented period.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1462 on: April 7, 2020, 03:37:19 pm »
Are they still owned by the bloke from Oxfordshire who’s in the documentary?

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1463 on: April 7, 2020, 04:03:08 pm »
Are they still owned by the bloke from Oxfordshire who’s in the documentary?

Yeh Stuart Donald, hes been trying to sell it.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1464 on: April 7, 2020, 04:13:49 pm »
Yeh Stuart Donald, hes been trying to sell it.
Really? Well the honeymoon period feel of the first couple of episodes must soon dissipate.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1465 on: April 7, 2020, 04:30:37 pm »
Most likely lack of money, the new owners said themselves in the series they need £25 million a year to survive in league one, & only have enough money for 3 seasons
#Sausages

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1466 on: April 7, 2020, 04:39:02 pm »
I thought Stewart Donald came across quite well, he's tried to get the club on an even financial footing and push for promotion at the same time. Think if they'd have kept Maja and had McGeady free of injury they'd have gone up.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1467 on: April 7, 2020, 05:34:38 pm »
Really? Well the honeymoon period feel of the first couple of episodes must soon dissipate.

"The discussion about the future of the club is ongoing and while recent events have slowed it down a little bit obviously because people have got other things to deal with in day-to-day businesses and day-to-day lives, it hasn't really had – as yet – a material impact," said Methven

"As things stand right now, there are well-progressed and productive discussions taking place with potential new owners of the club and Stewart has always said he hopes to have that issue sorted by the end of this season.
"That's our aim and it's not entirely in our control.
"The people who are in discussions have to make their own decisions as to whether they want to do it or not, just as we did two years ago"

This is what Charlie Methvin (the superstar director) said last week,  that even with coronavirus they're confident of selling up soon.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1468 on: April 7, 2020, 06:35:01 pm »
"The discussion about the future of the club is ongoing and while recent events have slowed it down a little bit obviously because people have got other things to deal with in day-to-day businesses and day-to-day lives, it hasn't really had – as yet – a material impact," said Methven

"As things stand right now, there are well-progressed and productive discussions taking place with potential new owners of the club and Stewart has always said he hopes to have that issue sorted by the end of this season.
"That's our aim and it's not entirely in our control.
"The people who are in discussions have to make their own decisions as to whether they want to do it or not, just as we did two years ago"

This is what Charlie Methvin (the superstar director) said last week,  that even with coronavirus they're confident of selling up soon.
Interesting, what a difference 18 months makes.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1469 on: April 7, 2020, 06:48:45 pm »
I thought Stewart Donald came across quite well, he's tried to get the club on an even financial footing and push for promotion at the same time. Think if they'd have kept Maja and had McGeady free of injury they'd have gone up.

Agree with this. He seemed passionate, social and genuinely cared about the club, but a bit inept in dealing with transfers

Offline Paully

• Not the BlackAndWhitey one!
  • Kopite
« Reply #1470 on: April 7, 2020, 07:07:41 pm »

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1471 on: April 7, 2020, 09:51:24 pm »
https://twitter.com/safcbites/status/1247547935522504704?s=21
:D
Just watching him give the 46000 attendance figure. The way he spoke to that woman. Thought I’d give him the benefit of the doubt for the first couple of episodes but he’s a self absorbed twat.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1472 on: April 7, 2020, 10:00:55 pm »

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1473 on: May 9, 2020, 11:22:27 am »
So, Stewart Donald used the club's own parachute payments to pay for his purchase of the club and then wrote off the loan.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/leaked-accounts-show-sunderlands-staggering-ps205million-financial-hole-stewart-donald-writes-debt-2847651

A leaked draft set of accounts for the year ending July 2019 have been seen by the Daily Mail and the Times, who have revealed the staggering eight-figure shortfall in the club’s coffers.

And as per the national reports, a number of investors who have looked at purchasing or investing in the club have been deterred by this significant hole.

The Mail and Times claim that the £20.5million gap in the balance sheet represents one of the parachute payments to the Black Cats, which were due following their relegation to the Premier League. This sum has previously been reported to have been used to facilitate Donald’s purchase of the club for a sum of £40million.

The purchase was facilitated through a holding company – Madrox Partners – and the national reports suggest that this £20.5million sum was used to help fund the deal.

It was previously suggested that this money would be repaid by the shareholders, but the report claims that the money has now been written-off by Donald and his fellow shareholders by way of an 'exceptional operating expense' – which removes their legal obligation to repay the money.

Sunderland have claimed that the money will be repaid as either a gift or by means of shareholder’s funds. They say that this process has already begun, but that it will take until the release of next year’s accounts for this to be evidenced.

A full club statement said: “Madrox has continued to invest funds as required, (which will be reflected in next year's figures) and in a way to ensure the club remains debt free, as promised.

“This has resulted in SAFC receiving around £11.5M since the year end, from Madrox. The funds are interest free and replace a significant portion of the parachute monies.

“This takes the total Madrox investment to around £25M, to date. This investment, two years into their five year plan, is ahead of schedule.”

A number of potential investors told the Mail and the Times that this hole in the club’s accounts – with no guarantee of repayment from the current owners – proved a stumbling block when they considered a takeover of the club.

Indeed, the Echo understands that this was a significant issue for Mark Campbell’s consortium when they reached advanced stages of negotiations last summer.

Sunderland remain up for sale, but a takeover is not expected in the coming months given the current global climate.

Donald purchased the club from Ellis Short in 2018, initially as part of an ‘international consortium’ – which ultimately comprised the insurance tycoon, associate Charlie Methven and Uruguayan businessman Juan Sartori.

Speaking at his first press conference after arriving on Wearside, Donald said: “We've given Ellis £40million so that's the big part.

“Ellis was very clear that he didn't want the debt but we didn't want the debt either so we refused that benefit, which is only a paper tax benefit but nonetheless it leaves Sunderland with that debt.

“So we said to Ellis that's fine, you wipe it and we won't take it."

Charlie Methven added: “The discussion with Ellis was that we would be able to pay him over a period of time because he knew that we were going to have quite a lot of investment that needed to be made this summer.

“As Stewart said the price was £40million and Sunderland are debt free.”

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1474 on: May 9, 2020, 11:43:25 am »
So, Stewart Donald used the club's own parachute payments to pay for his purchase of the club and then wrote off the loan.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/leaked-accounts-show-sunderlands-staggering-ps205million-financial-hole-stewart-donald-writes-debt-2847651

allegedly Huddersfield Town new owners have done the same.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1475 on: June 12, 2020, 03:59:08 am »
Just finished both seasons of Sunderland 'til I Die. Found it captivating. I can't add much to what has been said on this thread. I thought Charlie Methven was intentionally channelling David Brent at times and enjoying the limelight, with his Ibiza pep rally the most obvious example. At first he seems a clueless corporate twat, but over time he seems more human and you start to see through the act. Stewart Donald seems a nice chap, but he needs to stay home on transfer deadline day and have a word with his wife about that makeup.

The fans came across as passionate but also childish and thin-skinned. As Graeme said, the editing of crowd scenes was a little misleading. I think the scene where they abused the documentary film crew and broke a camera was a revealing moment, as was the decision to show it immediately after a scene at the ex-army guy's house where he said they had the best fans, and that they deserved better. I think the film makers felt some resentment towards parts of the fanbase, and got payback by splicing scenes in an unflattering way.

Having said that, the tone of the documentary is sympathetic to the fans' plight and had me wanting them to do well, at least until the Brexit scenes. Having not known the outcome of games beforehand, I truly felt the pain of the EFL Cup final, and that last-second Charlton winner in the playoff. Brutal stuff.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #1476 on: January 1, 2021, 10:20:38 am »

Just catching up with this William Storey bloke.      :lmao

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #1477 on: January 1, 2021, 02:52:06 pm »
Just catching up with this William Storey bloke.      :lmao

Sunderland have just been bought by some 22 year old billionaire, so I'm guessing William Storey is no longer in the picture. But yeah, strange guy!

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1478 on: January 1, 2021, 03:09:06 pm »
Same fella that fucked about with the Haas f1 team isn't it?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1479 on: March 31, 2021, 04:17:07 pm »
Not seen any chatter on this in the last month even though it went through in February - Sunderland now owned by a consortium that has placed 23 year old Kyril Louis-Dreyfus as the Chairman (son of former Marseille owner).

Nothing is clear on how much Sunderland was sold for - Donald reportedly wanted £37.6m two months prior to the sale. If he did indeed leverage the purchase against their own parachute payments, he's quite the parasite and made a pretty penny for himself. You do wonder what's true - the slightly bumbling but successful businessman we saw in the Netflix show, or a greedy chancer who saw an opportunity with a large sporting institution? My opinion? I think somewhere in the middle. He never had the finance to make them compete above League One level and was probably always hoping to get them up the Championship fattened for sale. I don't think he had bad intentions from the off but also don't think he'd done his due diligence and only realised how much money it costs to make a football club tick once he was already knee dip in shit.

Donald and Methven still have minority stakes, Sunderland are currently third in League One, three points off top but with two games in hand. They also won this season's EFL Trophy.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez