The Liverpool FC Forum > Technology and Science

Babbel/Rosetta Stone do they work?

<< < (4/4)

RJH:
Echo what others have said that Duolingo is alright for practising vocab, but it isn't great for learning grammar.

In terms of watching foreign language content, if you have Netflix I recommend setting up a profile with the default language set to the foreign language.
I found that with an English profile, for some reason Netflix was hiding/limiting the foreign language options sometimes. Changing the default can give you more audio/subtitle options on some shows.

Riquende:
I was on Duolingo for about a year learning Spanish a while back, but I found I ended up treating it more like a game (and not a great one, more like one of those grind ones) trying to get up the leagues and get the badges etc. I re-started with Greek after meeting my partner, but switching between the different alphabets was highly annoying (if they had a set of challenges that needed one and then changed it wouldn't be too bad, but you have to keep switching per question).

I'm trying to pick it back up again currently with something on Audible called Rapid Greek (there are other languages), 2 people have a repetitive conversation rhythmically over music. It's more designed for simple holiday conversations rather than true fluency but I'll see how it goes in getting me back into it. It's the sort of thing for the car I think.

deano2727:

--- Quote from: Riquende on January 26, 2023, 09:58:35 am ---I was on Duolingo for about a year learning Spanish a while back, but I found I ended up treating it more like a game (and not a great one, more like one of those grind ones) trying to get up the leagues and get the badges etc. I re-started with Greek after meeting my partner, but switching between the different alphabets was highly annoying (if they had a set of challenges that needed one and then changed it wouldn't be too bad, but you have to keep switching per question).

I'm trying to pick it back up again currently with something on Audible called Rapid Greek (there are other languages), 2 people have a repetitive conversation rhythmically over music. It's more designed for simple holiday conversations rather than true fluency but I'll see how it goes in getting me back into it. It's the sort of thing for the car I think.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, my Mum is on it for over a year. She has all the trophies, in the top league, tops it half the time - but I'm not sure she could have even a basic conversation.

I always looked at DuoLingo as the perfect addition to more traditional learning. Get yourself a tutor. Baselang is great for Spanish. Unlimited lessons for $149 a month. You can do one per day, two per day or 6 per day if you want. Each class is 30 mins, I usually did two with the same teacher. Finding a teacher you get on with and work well with is essential.

Claire.:
Can also have a look on meetup.com to see if there's any learner/practise groups in your area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version