Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2765766 times)

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
Re: The NFL Thread...
« Reply #1360 on: December 3, 2006, 09:33:12 pm »
Pats D even more banged up after this one.  Unbelievable.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1361 on: December 3, 2006, 09:33:44 pm »
Pats D even more banged up after this one.  Unbelievable.

Vrabel got a bad knock at the end there.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline seawa

• will do anything for a hob nob
  • Kopite
« Reply #1362 on: December 4, 2006, 05:10:48 am »
I've never had much interest in NFL before but if the Seahawks keep pulling off these dramatic comeback wins I might just jump on the bandwagon!  ;D

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #1363 on: December 4, 2006, 12:18:55 pm »
Good stuff Green Bay, should get a top 5 pick in the draft again :)
@_michaelgill

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #1364 on: December 4, 2006, 04:55:48 pm »
Another great week for the mighty Chargers.

:)
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1365 on: December 4, 2006, 05:10:20 pm »
Another great week for the mighty Chargers.

:)

Chargers are the real deal at the moment. I don't think they will make the Superbowl, but they will come close.

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1366 on: December 4, 2006, 07:46:58 pm »
Chargers are the real deal at the moment. I don't think they will make the Superbowl, but they will come close.

I've been a Charger fan too long to have any Superbowl aspirations as of yet but we have as good a chance as any other team in the NFL.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1367 on: December 4, 2006, 07:58:16 pm »
I've been a Charger fan too long to have any Superbowl aspirations as of yet but we have as good a chance as any other team in the NFL.

I'd probably go along with that. Colts always end up falling short despite being pretty much the best team. Bears just don't seem like champions to me. Pat's have no receivers so aren't getting the best out of Brady. Cowboys are too inconsistant, although with Romo they look a different team.

Its very open, which is good.

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1368 on: December 4, 2006, 08:03:37 pm »
True, there's no clear-cut team this year. Should be interesting.

By the way Armin, if you have Sky Sports Extra:
NFL - LIVE ON SKY SPORTS
Friday 1st December 2006

Click here to get Sky digital

Date Match
 Channel & Time

Sun Dec 3 San Francisco 49ers @ New Orleans Saints
Dallas Cowboys @ NY Giants SSX, 6pm
Sun Dec 3 Atlanta Falcons @ Washington Redskins
Houston Texans @ Oakland Raiders SSX*, 6pm
Thu Dec 7 Cleveland Browns @ Pittsburgh Steelers SS2, 1am (Fri)
Sun Dec 10 Baltimore Ravens @Kanscas City Chiefs
Denver Broncos @ SanDiego Chargers SSX, 6pm

Sun Dec 10 Interactive games to be decided SSX*, 6pm
Thu Dec 14 San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks SS2, 1am (Fri)
Sat Dec 16 Dallas Cowboys @ Atlanta Falcons SS2, 1am (Sun)
Wed Dec 21 Minnesota Vikings @ Green Bay Packers SS2, 1am (Thu)
Sat Dec 23 Kansas City Chiefs @ Oakland Raiders SS2, 1am (Sun)
Mon Dec 25 Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys
NY Jets @ Miami Dolphins SS2, 10pm
Sat Dec 30 NY Giants @ Washington Redskins SS3, 1am (Sun)

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1369 on: December 4, 2006, 08:12:55 pm »
I'd probably go along with that. Colts always end up falling short despite being pretty much the best team. Bears just don't seem like champions to me. Pat's have no receivers so aren't getting the best out of Brady. Cowboys are too inconsistant, although with Romo they look a different team.

Its very open, which is good.

Disagree with that wholeheartedly.  Since when has Brady ever had a legitimate stud receiver akin to the likes of Harrison, Johnson or TO?  And how many rings does he have?  Granted Branch was a good receiver, but he was never on a par with the likes of the three I've just mentioned, yet he didn't have to be because Brady is so damn good at finding the open guy.

Can you imagine what a star wideout would be like with the Pats?  He'd be double teamed week in week out, and would see hardly any of the ball, hence being one unhappy puppy.  The Pats number one receiver is the open guy, always has been always will be, and that's how we work best.
Believe.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1370 on: December 4, 2006, 08:16:58 pm »
And I think the NFL is looking great this year simply because there is no standout team.  You look at the top teams in the NFC and they have wholes in them somewhere, and exactly the same applies to the AFC.  There are probably at least 3 teams in the NFC that could win that Championship, and there are at least 4 teams in the AFC that could be representing that conference in the big show.

There are more rounded and balanced teams than others, in fact I'd say the Chargers look the best balanced side in the NFL, but there are better offences out there, and better defences out there.

Really enjoying it this year.
Believe.

Offline Tam

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1371 on: December 4, 2006, 10:19:55 pm »
Anybody catch the Giants vs Cowboys game?

Caught the higlights and followed the game online as it was being played. I dont have sky or any other channell to watch NFL unfortunatley. It was a tight match.

Ive been a Cowboys fan for as long as i've followed the NFL (only a couple of years) and this is the first year i have followed them properly. We are having a decent season by our recent standards i think (admittedly i dont know much) and i havent seen how other teams have been playing but it looks like were are gonna make the playoffs and im not sure how far we will go. Anyone with decent knowledge to let me know?
We Are The Champions!
Of Who?
Champions Of Europe!
Of Where?
Champions Of Europe!
Oh Right

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1372 on: December 4, 2006, 10:41:51 pm »

Caught the higlights and followed the game online as it was being played. I dont have sky or any other channell to watch NFL unfortunatley. It was a tight match.

Ive been a Cowboys fan for as long as i've followed the NFL (only a couple of years) and this is the first year i have followed them properly. We are having a decent season by our recent standards i think (admittedly i dont know much) and i havent seen how other teams have been playing but it looks like were are gonna make the playoffs and im not sure how far we will go. Anyone with decent knowledge to let me know?

Well, the Cowboys are 2 games at the top of their division and the way that they're playing it looks like they'll be in the playoffs. They looked like a joke with Bledsoe as QB but Romo looks like the real deal. The 2nd coming of Aikman business is pre-mature but he's obviously talented. They seem to be the team to beat in the NFC alongside the Bears who are phenomenal on defence but a disaster on offense. Now please excuse me while I wash my hands after writing about "America's Team" ;)

Oh crap, I forgot about the Saints.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2006, 11:52:16 pm by chink »

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1373 on: December 5, 2006, 02:13:12 am »
Disagree with that wholeheartedly.  Since when has Brady ever had a legitimate stud receiver akin to the likes of Harrison, Johnson or TO?  And how many rings does he have?  Granted Branch was a good receiver, but he was never on a par with the likes of the three I've just mentioned, yet he didn't have to be because Brady is so damn good at finding the open guy.

Can you imagine what a star wideout would be like with the Pats?  He'd be double teamed week in week out, and would see hardly any of the ball, hence being one unhappy puppy.  The Pats number one receiver is the open guy, always has been always will be, and that's how we work best.

Oh I'm not doubting Brady, not at all. He is still for me the best QB if not the best player in the NFL (Yeah yeah, I can hear the Payton lovers moaning). Branch was the standout he has had, and yeah apart from that, Pat's strengths have been Brady finding the open man, be it a talented Tight-End (like the two we have now) or the WR.

But, can you imagine TB playing with Wayne and Harrison to aim at? Hell even a Chad Johnson, or a Torry Holt. That would be something. I just think it might give the Pat's something else. I dunno, its just the way I see it. I tend to moan about the Receiver situation a lot, but Graham and Watson are impressing me this season from the TE position, and Caldwell is improving as the season goes on.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2006, 09:43:14 pm by Tom_B »

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1374 on: December 5, 2006, 02:15:40 am »

I fancy Cowboys strongly this year. My second team in the NFL. Glenn and Owens receiving, Barber and Jones running, and now Romo (the new Brady (said it once and I'll say it again)) replacing Bledsoe. Getting rid of Vanderjagt can only help too, thats for sure.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1375 on: December 5, 2006, 02:57:37 am »
Oh I'm not doubting Brady, not at all. He is still for me the best QB if not the best player in the NFL (Yeah yeah, I can hear the Payton lovers moaning). Branch was the standout he has had, and yeah apart from that, Pat's strengths have been Brady finding the open man, be it a talented Tight-End (like the two we have now) or the WR.

But, can you imagine TB playing with Wayne and Harrison to aim at? Hell even a Chad Jackson, or a Torry Holt. That would be something. I just think it might give the Pat's something else. I dunno, its just the way I see it. I tend to moan about the Receiver situation a lot, but Graham and Watson are impressing me this season from the TE position, and Caldwell is improving as the season goes on.

I think every Pats fan would love us to have one stud wideout, and two would be cock-stiffiningly tremendous, but I'm not that fussed that we don't.  As I said, with legitimate #1 WR he'd just end up being double teamed so Brady wouldn't go near him anyway.

You need two first rate WR's for them to operate properly IMO otherwise it's too easy to cover one good wideout even if you have great TE's (a la the Giants or KC).  Look at Cinncy (who have 3), Indy, Dallas, Carolina - all have great sets of wideouts and are almost impossible to shut down completely.

With regards to Big Ben and DG I agree although Watson has coughed up a lot of balls lately and needs to really tighten that up.  I like what we're doing though, we don't have one obvious target, even if Ben is Brady's favourite guy at the minute, Graham is a fine TE, Gabriel has been a good pick up, Gaffney looks solid and can only get better the longer he's here, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Jackson can become and as for Caldwell, I think he is the closest thing we have to a #1.

I mentioned somewhere else before the game last night that I'm really taking a shine to him.  He seemed a bit of a bust after the first few games of the season (as did all our WR's in all fairness), but each week since then he's gotten better, has gotten open more each week, and seems to gain more yards each week.  He runs some really nice routes and has great hands. and seems to get quite a few yards after receiving the ball.  Haven't seen the highlights of yesterdays game yet, but it was no surprise to see him have a career game, and was undortunate not to get the TD he deserved.
Believe.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #1376 on: December 5, 2006, 02:58:15 am »
Can't believe the incredible nationwide attention Romo is receiving. Still, he's done a good job and quarterbacking the Dallas Cowboys is the most glamorous position in the NFL.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1377 on: December 5, 2006, 02:59:06 am »
I fancy Cowboys strongly this year. My second team in the NFL. Glenn and Owens receiving, Barber and Jones running, and now Romo (the new Brady (said it once and I'll say it again)) replacing Bledsoe. Getting rid of Vanderjagt can only help too, thats for sure.

Agrred, IMO they're the best team in the NFC.  They don't have the defence the Bears have, but it's good enough to get the job done when it matters and their O can beat anyone.
Believe.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1378 on: December 5, 2006, 03:00:24 am »
Can't believe the incredible nationwide attention Romo is receiving. Still, he's done a good job and quarterbacking the Dallas Cowboys is the most glamorous position in the NFL.

He deserves it in all honesty, he's been nothng short of sensational since he got his chance.  I do feel sorry for Bledsoe though.
Believe.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1379 on: December 5, 2006, 03:08:03 am »
I was surprised when Dallas decided to sign Bledsoe and I'm not sure whether it was Parcells or Jerry Jones making that particular decision. Parcells and Bledsoe did not get along in New England  and were pretty much always at each other's throat. Then again Mr Parcells has had a history of not necessarily getting along with his qb's (Simms and Testaverde being the exceptions).

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1380 on: December 5, 2006, 02:18:46 pm »

I am not a big fan of the self proclaimed America's Team.  However, I have to admit they did piss over the Giants and have been doing this to their opponents lately. 

The Giants are in serious trouble, but there are 4 teams with  6-6 record now.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1381 on: December 5, 2006, 05:26:02 pm »
tonight from NEw England I bring you..

the Colts _ pats game - 4 blokes, an Irish bar and draft beer at $1 a pint.

including smithwicks.

I'll post when I sober up. about thursday I reckon!

You got the address for this bar mate?  Do they still do the $2 draught beer (Incl. Smithwicks)?  Some good games coming on.

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #1382 on: December 5, 2006, 09:16:39 pm »
You got the address for this bar mate?  Do they still do the $2 draught beer (Incl. Smithwicks)?  Some good games coming on.
yep - was in there recently. although I'm a bit of a convert to the bar that has 50 beers selling at $1 a pint between 4 and 8 so later games can get a bit fuzzy.... and its in Manchester, NH.
PM me if you are interested.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1383 on: December 7, 2006, 02:28:02 pm »
Steelers vs Browns tonight in the battle of the under-performers.

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1384 on: December 9, 2006, 04:31:56 pm »
Just hooked up my tickets to the Chargers/Broncos game, we clinch the division tomorrow if we win. Field level too so I can see the terror in Jay Cutler's eyes when he sees Merriman and Phillips coming around the corners.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 04:43:49 pm by chink »

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #1385 on: December 10, 2006, 09:23:55 pm »
class win for the jags again tonight,Colts are starting to fold as usual!!!

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1386 on: December 10, 2006, 09:29:41 pm »
How about Miami man?.... 

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #1387 on: December 10, 2006, 09:31:12 pm »
How about Miami man?.... 

without going into hyperbole we're just about to most in-form team in the league! it was only a matter of time before indy got found out, always start off well but struggling come late season.

should be good game this one though! unless lt just runs all over them 200+ yards
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 09:33:44 pm by bryanodowd »
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #1388 on: December 10, 2006, 09:37:45 pm »
If Miami had started in September they'd be one of the favourites. Any team shutting out that Patriots offensive is playing well!!

Offline bryanod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1389 on: December 11, 2006, 12:15:29 am »
LT- phenomenal.

29th TD a new record and still 3 games to go.

Best player in the game, still only 6th season and already a hall of famer.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1390 on: December 11, 2006, 12:20:06 am »
LT- phenomenal.

Yep, so glad too. Easily my favourite player in the league. The ultimate pro.

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1391 on: December 11, 2006, 05:05:09 pm »
I was sitting right behind the end-zone when he ran in for his 29th. I didn't think that he would break the record yesterday because the Broncos got the ball back with only 3 minutes to go but Merriman forced a fumble and everyone kind of sensed the inevitable. When he strolled in for that TD the whole stadium absolutely erupted. Words cannot describe how much San Diego fans love this guy, what a legend.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #1392 on: December 11, 2006, 05:15:48 pm »
Finally got to see a game on the telly and it was the game when LT broke the record :) Really would've been nice to have been there for a genuine moment of sporting history.

Chargers now wrapped up the AFC West title and have to be considered as possible Superbowl contenders. Was impressed by the decision making, clearly a well drilled team oozing confidence. Would not fancy being on the wrong side of Mr Merriman...
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #1393 on: December 11, 2006, 06:17:24 pm »
Finally got to see a game on the telly and it was the game when LT broke the record :)

Good timing  :)

Offline Sabre Wolf

• Main Stander
  • One of us
« Reply #1394 on: December 11, 2006, 11:43:14 pm »
LT- phenomenal.

Used to watch the NFL back in the days when Elway was king and have only started following it again this year.

Watched the game last night hoping for a Denver win but was really impressed with San Diego, a team who were also rans when I used to watch NFL in the past!

They seem to have a pretty good package with LT, whom I'd heard alot about but didn't realise he was as good as he is, plus the linebackers, led by Merriman, as mentioned above, who take no prisoners.

I understand that SD are now in pole position for home field advantage in the play offs and they look a decent bet to go all the way.

Still hoping that Denver can sneak into the wild card places, but from what I've been watching this year, the AFC seems to be alot stronger than the NFC this season - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...
The Gillett & Hicks Cashometer:-

Money invested in the club to date:- £000,000,000.00

Offline bryanod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1395 on: December 12, 2006, 12:31:48 am »
the AFC seems to be alot stronger than the NFC this season - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

many a year now to be fair, not sure why it is the case though really ???

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1396 on: December 12, 2006, 01:01:14 am »
Things tend to be cyclic in NFL football. During the 80's the NFC was dominant beyond belief with one Super Bowl blowout after another. Now it's the AFC with the upper hand. I don't think there's a clear cut reason.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1397 on: December 12, 2006, 01:12:50 am »
Still hoping that Denver can sneak into the wild card places, but from what I've been watching this year, the AFC seems to be alot stronger than the NFC this season - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Bronco's are just in an awful run. I don't think dropping Plummer was the answer personally, but hey I aint their coach. They really need to beat the Card's next week, but just their luck they are playing the Card's coming off a fantastic win over the Seahawks. After that they play the Bengals who are strong at the moment, and then they welcome the 49ers, which should be winnable.

They might sneak a wildcard place, but I am not sure, there is a lot of very average teams this season all vying for those places.

Offline Finnred

• Anny Roader
  • "Life sucks and then you fucking die"
« Reply #1398 on: December 12, 2006, 05:25:30 pm »
Any Bengals fans among you guys?
PSN : finnred

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1399 on: December 12, 2006, 07:34:10 pm »
Any Bengals fans among you guys?

They are a team I like. Chad and Rudy are two players I have a lot of time for.