Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3286365 times)

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #22280 on: November 4, 2019, 06:11:48 pm »
If I had a pound every time Sean Rogers mentioned John Barnes..

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22281 on: November 4, 2019, 09:37:43 pm »

Imagine how wealthy you'd be, if you got one for every snide remark you make about TAW!

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22282 on: November 4, 2019, 10:17:17 pm »
Imagine how wealthy you'd be, if you got one for every snide remark you make about TAW!
He’s only got 110 posts..... not very... ;)

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22283 on: November 4, 2019, 10:58:09 pm »

;D

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #22284 on: November 5, 2019, 11:25:18 am »

I would be loaded should I have almost 70 thousand posts, but yer know, a life and all that

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22285 on: November 5, 2019, 01:05:15 pm »
I would be loaded should I have almost 70 thousand posts, but yer know, a life and all that
Errrr

I was somewhat sticking up for you..

Chill out
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22286 on: November 5, 2019, 01:43:58 pm »
To be fair to Tepid; half of those are just instances of him having to refute rumored transfer signings. ;)
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22287 on: November 5, 2019, 04:01:39 pm »
It's really good and yes it's him, Josh Williams. There is a video version of the show uploaded on YouTube if you like.

With analytical footage etc? 
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #22288 on: November 5, 2019, 10:37:59 pm »
With analytical footage etc?
No. It's the same podcast you download to listen to with the only difference you see them talking.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22289 on: November 6, 2019, 08:05:40 am »
No. It's the same podcast you download to listen to with the only difference you see them talking.

Is it better being able to see them? :D
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22290 on: November 6, 2019, 11:49:49 am »

There isn't enough mentioning of John Barnes in this world.
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #22291 on: November 6, 2019, 02:23:14 pm »
Is this the famous word of mouth marketing Craig ;D?

😂😂Yep - TAW's second best marketing tool!

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #22292 on: November 6, 2019, 02:25:25 pm »
Just on the subscriber survey, in case anyone who subscribes hasn't submitted it - we'd really appreciate your feedback if you can spare 10 minutes! We've had a brilliant response, thanks to everyone who took part - loads for us to get stuck into right away.

https://thewrap.typeform.com/to/upLV9P

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #22293 on: November 6, 2019, 03:46:19 pm »
Just on the subscriber survey, in case anyone who subscribes hasn't submitted it - we'd really appreciate your feedback if you can spare 10 minutes! We've had a brilliant response, thanks to everyone who took part - loads for us to get stuck into right away.

Done.

Hopefully I'll see my constructive feedback and suggestions taken into account during the podcasts over the next few weeks.

Can't wait for the suggested 'The Sean Rodgers Show -  Episode 1 Sean talks John Barnes' podcast to be released.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22294 on: November 6, 2019, 04:28:19 pm »
Done.

Hopefully I'll see my constructive feedback and suggestions taken into account during the podcasts over the next few weeks.

Can't wait for the suggested 'The Sean Rodgers Show -  Episode 1 Sean talks John Barnes' podcast to be released.

I’ve asked if Not too Xabi12 can guest on AFQ one week.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22295 on: November 6, 2019, 04:37:13 pm »
The Sean Rodgers Show -  Episode 1 - Sean talks boxing analogies with John Barnes, featuring special guest NotTooXabi

new and improved
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #22296 on: November 6, 2019, 04:46:08 pm »
I’ve asked if Not too Xabi12 can guest on AFQ one week.

:lmao :lmao
:D

Offline Mcbain

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22297 on: November 6, 2019, 05:53:45 pm »

Done
The rain drops

Offline Wembley74

• Kemlynite
« Reply #22298 on: November 6, 2019, 06:55:46 pm »
Listened to the Alphabet Soup W episode today. Felt the lads didn't do him justice.

One of the myths about the 85/86 Double season is that Dalglish chose to return himself to the side for the run-in. He didn't. Walsh got a bad ankle injury against Man U (day he appeared with short hair having got rid of his iconic scallycut) and never recovered. Prior to that he was unbelievable (keeping KD out the team) for months.

He was also very good in first season (84/85) and scored after 12 seconds of his debut. 86/87 he didn't get as many goals but his standards were still superb.

To say it never really worked out for him is just wrong. He played in a European Cup Final and won a league title medal. Many very good Liverpool players over 30 years cant claim that.

This show at Goodison in 1987 is typical of him. A brilliant player. And having met and interviewed him on TAW a very nice guy who says what he thinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMzkf3iB6fg

I'll stick Walsh in the same bracket as McManaman as totally underrated.

Mike Nev
« Last Edit: November 6, 2019, 06:58:52 pm by Wembley74 »

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #22299 on: November 6, 2019, 07:15:27 pm »
Enjoyed the discussion on the Monday show about Trent moving into midfield. Thought Neil argued well in defence of keeping him at right back. Certainly didn’t agree when Kev said moving him would be similar to Gerrard who started at full back. That’s not true, he played a few games there but was definitely middle of the park in his early days.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22300 on: November 6, 2019, 07:20:23 pm »
Hope the survey results in more episodes of Ban this filth. [emoji16]

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22301 on: November 6, 2019, 09:38:12 pm »
When did Walsh leave Mike? I’m sure I remember him being in the bench in the early part of the 87/88!before moving to Spurs or do I have that wrong? Was he a similar style of player to Beardsley?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22302 on: November 7, 2019, 01:22:20 am »
Listened to the Alphabet Soup W episode today. Felt the lads didn't do him justice.

One of the myths about the 85/86 Double season is that Dalglish chose to return himself to the side for the run-in. He didn't. Walsh got a bad ankle injury against Man U (day he appeared with short hair having got rid of his iconic scallycut) and never recovered. Prior to that he was unbelievable (keeping KD out the team) for months.

He was also very good in first season (84/85) and scored after 12 seconds of his debut. 86/87 he didn't get as many goals but his standards were still superb.

To say it never really worked out for him is just wrong. He played in a European Cup Final and won a league title medal. Many very good Liverpool players over 30 years cant claim that.

This show at Goodison in 1987 is typical of him. A brilliant player. And having met and interviewed him on TAW a very nice guy who says what he thinks.

Mike Nev

Good shout mike - Walsh was great when he came to us, absolutely scintillating, like you say Kenny would not have been needed if he didn't get injured. ]

(I'll put your post in the Paul Walsh thread on here - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=322303.0  )

Offline fintanmar

• Main Stander
« Reply #22303 on: November 7, 2019, 08:44:22 am »

Mike Nev

Have to agree with most of this  - Walsh was a dynamic and explosive player who had many good games in a red shirt.  He also provided good competition  for Kenny and Rushie. 

I always remember his double away to Watford is a rare televised game in those days.

He also scored more goals in a red shirt than Collymore. Berger, Garcia , Baros , Rosenthal, Saunders, Cisse and Sterling.

Not sure if I'd place him in the same bracket as McMananaman though.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
« Reply #22304 on: November 7, 2019, 09:16:35 am »
Enjoyed the discussion on the Monday show about Trent moving into midfield. Thought Neil argued well in defence of keeping him at right back. Certainly didn’t agree when Kev said moving him would be similar to Gerrard who started at full back. That’s not true, he played a few games there but was definitely middle of the park in his early days.
I thought the same with the Gerrard comparisons.  Trent has played two full seasons at right back including playing in two Champions League finals and a World Cup in that position.  Gerrard played about two games!

I can see Trent playing in midfield at some point but I don’t see it happening in a Klopp team where the full backs are so effective and more creative than the midfielders.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #22305 on: November 7, 2019, 12:52:44 pm »
Considering TAW was going on about how they had a ton of content in the build-up to city I'm shocked they don't have a single pod/video out about the match yet on Thursday lunchtime. Not sure about the average TAW listener but I'm sure I'm not alone in not having the time to listen to podcasts over the weekend. If the Weekender/Team Talk were released on Friday morning I think that might increase the number of people who listen to the latter two shows. By the time I have the chance to listen to the weekender or team talk the matches have already happened. I can only speak for myself obviously but I'm sure I'm not the only one.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22306 on: November 7, 2019, 02:12:50 pm »
Considering TAW was going on about how they had a ton of content in the build-up to city I'm shocked they don't have a single pod/video out about the match yet on Thursday lunchtime. Not sure about the average TAW listener but I'm sure I'm not alone in not having the time to listen to podcasts over the weekend. If the Weekender/Team Talk were released on Friday morning I think that might increase the number of people who listen to the latter two shows. By the time I have the chance to listen to the weekender or team talk the matches have already happened. I can only speak for myself obviously but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Yeah I'm the same, listen to all my podcasts at work during the week.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22307 on: November 7, 2019, 02:33:07 pm »
I think the Team Talk one comes out after the Friday press conference to be fair. I’m the same though, listen mainly on my commute and work from home in a Friday. That might be more my problem than TAW’s though!

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22308 on: November 7, 2019, 07:23:18 pm »
Really enjoyed the Greatest Show on ‘Disappointments’. Some very strong contributions and some mad memories of terrible signings. Ben Johnson’s memory of Diouf is a bit wild but he remembered something about him that I was convinced only I seemed to recall. It was at home to Villa - I was sat top of the Centenary - and Liverpool trudged their way to a 1-0 win. It was dire but I distinctly remember Diouf being 1-to-1 with the fullback and he flicked it up over both their heads in one swift movement.

In that split second he had Anfield in the palm of his hand...we were all speechless. Breathtaking.

Think he wasted the cross...

But yeah, the show was great although I thought Leanne Prescott was a bit of an odd booking. Nothing against her, but the other guests were all close mates who are very funny company. She didn’t fit that particular set-up. I’m sure she’d thrive better on other formats though.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22309 on: November 7, 2019, 07:26:03 pm »
Really enjoyed the Greatest Show on ‘Disappointments’. Some very strong contributions and some mad memories of terrible signings. Ben Johnson’s memory of Diouf is a bit wild but he remembered something about him that I was convinced only I seemed to recall. It was at home to Villa - I was sat top of the Centenary - and Liverpool trudged their way to a 1-0 win. It was dire but I distinctly remember Diouf being 1-to-1 with the fullback and he flicked it up over both their heads in one swift movement.

In that split second he had Anfield in the palm of his hand...we were all speechless. Breathtaking.

Think he wasted the cross...

But yeah, the show was great although I thought Leanne Prescott was a bit of an odd booking. Nothing against her, but the other guests were all close mates who are very funny company. She didn’t fit that particular set-up. I’m sure she’d thrive better on other formats though.

Just remembered I was at Diouf’s home debut. We beat Southampton 3-0 and he scored two and with all the World Cup hype it looked like he could be a superstar. Then he just went to crap!

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #22310 on: November 7, 2019, 07:34:10 pm »
I thought the same with the Gerrard comparisons.  Trent has played two full seasons at right back including playing in two Champions League finals and a World Cup in that position.  Gerrard played about two games!

I can see Trent playing in midfield at some point but I don’t see it happening in a Klopp team where the full backs are so effective and more creative than the midfielders.
Yeah basically what you’ve just said. I was at the derby in 2000 when Barmby got two. Babel played centre back and Stevie right back and he was head and shoulders the best player on the park however as you say, his appearances on the right were few and far between until 2006 when he went right mid.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22311 on: November 7, 2019, 07:34:50 pm »

You're not the only one.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22312 on: November 7, 2019, 09:23:35 pm »
Not quite sure I buy this City fan’s rampant pessimism on the Friday Show.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22313 on: November 7, 2019, 09:23:52 pm »
Just remembered I was at Diouf’s home debut. We beat Southampton 3-0 and he scored two and with all the World Cup hype it looked like he could be a superstar. Then he just went to crap!
Yes. Very good debut

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22314 on: November 7, 2019, 09:51:10 pm »
No, me neither.

Their bench may be a bit weaker than usual, but their first 11 isn’t
W

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22315 on: November 7, 2019, 10:37:13 pm »
No, me neither.

Their bench may be a bit weaker than usual, but their first 11 isn’t

You feel for them having to cobble an attack together out of dregs like Aguero, Sterling, Jesus, Mahrez, Silva, De Bruyne etc.

I fancy our chances but it’s ludicrous the way he’s trying to talk them into being such mashive underdogsh.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22316 on: November 8, 2019, 06:57:15 am »
Yeah, all a bit mad. Generally he’s a very good contributor but was crying it in a tad.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22317 on: November 8, 2019, 07:39:11 am »

Just came in to post that. Blowing smoke up our proverbial if anything. He is describing them as if it was a newly promoted side coming to Anfield.

Wrap folks are waaaay too mild with City contributors.

Offline Wembley74

• Kemlynite
« Reply #22318 on: November 8, 2019, 09:28:04 am »
When did Walsh leave Mike? I’m sure I remember him being in the bench in the early part of the 87/88!before moving to Spurs or do I have that wrong? Was he a similar style of player to Beardsley?

Similar but more dynamic and quicker, but without Beardsley's vision.

Fantastic player - he was bought to replace Dalglish and wore the number 7 with distinction from August 1984 to the middle of the 87/88 season before going to Spurs.

Early in the 85/86 season when Dalglish picked himself a few times ahead of Walsh, he kicked off and demanded to go on the transfer list and remained on it for the whole season while bangin goals in for fun until his injury against United.

We bought him on the strength of his Anfield appearance for Luton in 82/83. 3-3 draw. Watch him skin Lawrenson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGVU4xig4KY

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22319 on: November 8, 2019, 09:34:55 am »
Cheers, some very decent goals in there! Never seen them before but had heard about that game, out three were scored past three different keepers. What happened?