Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399441 times)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #4400 on: February 3, 2019, 09:55:00 pm »
That "bottling" line is a pet hate of mine, you draw or lose a match, you bottled it. Heard Brendan Rodgers say the other day about when he was here we won 10 of our last 11 or 11 of 12 can't remember, but the belief was that we bottled it.
That's a modern phenomenon that needs to die. I think it's down to the all-or-nothing type mindset of the average fan in 2019. Their attention spans don't cover the whole season, so teams are either winners or bottlers based on their last result.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4401 on: February 3, 2019, 10:08:55 pm »
"I expect the media to build that narrative, but it’s really frustrating to see our own fans using it too. City lost in the week and yet again we’re talking about them ‘keeping the pressure on’. Keeping. And again, fans buying that nonsense. There’s literally been posts saying if we don’t win tomorrow we won’t win the title"

Oh they will, you'll hear that word used more than any other in the next few weeks/months. Have people said that ?  Jaysus. The irony is the people saying that will be saying the team will bottle it, while they are the ones shitting themselves.

"That's a modern phenomenon that needs to die. I think it's down to the all-or-nothing type mindset of the average fan in 2019. Their attention spans don't cover the whole season, so teams are either winners or bottlers based on their last result"

It absolutely is. The last result tends to define a team/manager doesn't it. Pochettino went from the next Utd manager, to not as good a manager as Solsjkaer,to next Man Utd manager in about a week

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4402 on: February 3, 2019, 10:16:59 pm »
Not sure I've seen all the moaning that many seem to be pointing out. I certainly haven't seen much in the way of undue criticism of the manager or players.

It might just seem that way because emotions run high at the top of the league. Wins feel better, defeats feel worse. However I'm sure if you asked anyone to take a step back and assess how happy they are with the current state of the club, you'd be met with unanimously positive answers. If someone said otherwise, then you might have something to worry about.
Completely understandable. Not everyone thinks the same way, and that's something that should be welcomed.

You haven't seen the posts calling our players bottlers etc. ? Selective reading I'd say.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4403 on: February 3, 2019, 10:25:19 pm »
The shithousery has already started. Apparently, if we don't win tomorrow the wheels come off the title race. With bottling c*nts like these "supporting" us, who needs enemies.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline toe punt

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4404 on: February 3, 2019, 10:25:33 pm »
City were never going to lose or even draw many home games so it's a miracle they lost that game to Crystal Palace. My concern at this stage is we have too many draws and that kills our momentum. We had something like 12 last season if I remember and you're better off doing a Spurs in losing a few and winning the rest. Huge test tomorrow night, we really need a result and performance. Then it's beat Bournemouth and put the pressure on City before they play Chelsea (the Everton game being a gimme).

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4405 on: February 3, 2019, 10:28:54 pm »
That "bottling" line is a pet hate of mine, you draw or lose a match, you bottled it. Heard Brendan Rodgers say the other day about when he was here we won 10 of our last 11 or 11 of 12 can't remember, but the belief was that we bottled it.

Bottling or non bottling is the new mind games.  Utter wank but an easy narrative.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4406 on: February 3, 2019, 10:30:00 pm »
City were never going to lose or even draw many home games so it's a miracle they lost that game to Crystal Palace. My concern at this stage is we have too many draws and that kills our momentum. We had something like 12 last season if I remember and you're better off doing a Spurs in losing a few and winning the rest. Huge test tomorrow night, we really need a result and performance. Then it's beat Bournemouth and put the pressure on City before they play Chelsea (the Everton game being a gimme).

Christ, where to start with this.

We’ve drawn four games. That’s fewer than pretty much everyone apart from City and Spurs. And those draws are why we’re top instead of where they are. What an odd statement about Spurs. They’ve won as many as us and lost the rest. Great?  That’s why we’re four clear of them with a game in hand.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4407 on: February 3, 2019, 10:30:55 pm »
You haven't seen the posts calling our players bottlers etc. ? Selective reading I'd say.
To be honest I actually haven't read much of the main forum post-Leicester. I'll take everyone's word for it though.

I'll never stop defending pessimistic users, as there's nothing wrong with that. Terms like "bottlers" though are the kind of needless criticism that simply doesn't belong on this forum. So far it's been one of our best (the best?) league campaigns of all time. Given that context nobody should be lashing out at the team, those who do are either trolls or simply don't understand how football works.

Offline Reese

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4408 on: February 3, 2019, 10:31:04 pm »
And the primary reason we lost to Leicester was a referring performance for the ages.

I just hope our players don't have the mentality of some of the posters on here or we are done already.

No guarantees in life, but even the worst result tomorrow still has us in front, and there is still so much to play for after that.

Buckle and get ready. Let's do this.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4409 on: February 3, 2019, 10:33:31 pm »
WE DIDNT LOSE TO LEICESTER!!

:D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4410 on: February 3, 2019, 10:35:37 pm »

Yeah we're better off doing what the team 4 points and possibly 7 points behind us is doing. The kind of logic that would make you despair.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline toe punt

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4411 on: February 3, 2019, 10:36:07 pm »
Christ, where to start with this.

We’ve drawn four games. That’s fewer than pretty much everyone apart from City and Spurs. And those draws are why we’re top instead of where they are. What an odd statement about Spurs. They’ve won as many as us and lost the rest. Great?  That’s why we’re four clear of them with a game in hand.

Re. Spurs I meant of the remaining games not overall in terms of winning and losing and not drawing. If we draw at West Ham and say Old Trafford we will have less points than if we win one of those game and lose the other. That was my point. If our makeshift defence keeps conceding like it did in Jan who's to say we won't be drawing more games.

Offline toe punt

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4412 on: February 3, 2019, 10:40:22 pm »
Yeah we're better off doing what the team 4 points and possibly 7 points behind us is doing. The kind of logic that would make you despair.

1 win and 1 defeat is better than 2 draws. What kind of logic is that? Simple arithmetic mate.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4413 on: February 3, 2019, 10:40:53 pm »
Re. Spurs I meant of the remaining games not overall in terms of winning and losing and not drawing. If we draw at West Ham and say Old Trafford we will have less points than if we win one of those game and lose the other. That was my point. If our makeshift defence keeps conceding like it did in Jan who's to say we won't be drawing more games.

I don’t think we need a lesson on how points work  ;D

But again, your point makes literally no sense. You’re referencing a team who are quite far behind us literally because they’re losing too many instead of drawing. Unless your point was ‘we should aim for four points instead of two because four is two more than two’ then yes, good point.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4414 on: February 3, 2019, 10:58:05 pm »

And the primary reason we lost to Leicester was a referring performance for the ages.

But we didn't lose to Leicester.  The only team we've lost to all season is City. 

This is what happens when you start believing the media shite.  Agendas that are brainwashing the fanbase into believing this is an impossible task.

Those words from Jurgen way back in October 2015, that we needed to take the heavy backpack off that has been holding us back for so long.  That we needed to become believers before we can succeed, that to remain doubters is taking the cowards away out, (ok he didn't say that but it's how it feels).

It's too fucking easy to think we won't be successful, that we cant win, it takes no effort whatsoever to give up without a fight or with a whimper.

That's what everyone else is telling us
and some of you have decided to go along with it.

Well I'm with Jurgen every day of the fucking week.

Rant over!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4415 on: February 3, 2019, 11:19:49 pm »
WE DIDNT LOSE TO LEICESTER!!

We lost the lead ;).

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #4416 on: February 3, 2019, 11:19:54 pm »
I understand mate, I just can't be arsed stressing about what may or may not happen to us, football is escape to life's bullshit for me, not a place where i continuously stress about things that are out of my control
That's brilliant! Particularly, as it's totally out of our control.
 It's the way I want to be (but haven't been able to reach yet!)

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #4417 on: February 3, 2019, 11:28:51 pm »
We lost the lead ;).

Losing without losing?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4418 on: February 3, 2019, 11:47:22 pm »
I understand mate, I just can't be arsed stressing about what may or may not happen to us, football is escape to life's bullshit for me, not a place where i continuously stress about things that are out of my control
I'm the same. Football is an escape from the genuine stresses of life for me. It should be about the enjoyment of watching / supporting your team through good times and bad, not something that becomes all-consuming and a massive stress in itself. Look at the Everton fanbase to see what kind of life that leads to.

It pays to keep some perspective, I think. Of course, I want us to win the title as much as anyone else, but I won't be agonising over it before and after every game until the end of the season. I won't do that to myself. I have no control over any of it. All I can control is my reaction to it all. I choose to enjoy the ride and see where it takes us. I'll leave the worry to the managers and players who get paid handsomely to shoulder that kind of stress.

These days it seems life is all about the destination rather than the journey. Personally, I want to enjoy the journey too, along with all its twists and turns. I hope we get there, I really do, but I'm not going to stress myself out until summer over things I have no influence over whatsoever.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2019, 11:48:54 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4419 on: February 4, 2019, 12:35:09 am »
I'm the same. Football is an escape from the genuine stresses of life for me. It should be about the enjoyment of watching / supporting your team through good times and bad, not something that becomes all-consuming and a massive stress in itself. Look at the Everton fanbase to see what kind of life that leads to.

It pays to keep some perspective, I think. Of course, I want us to win the title as much as anyone else, but I won't be agonising over it before and after every game until the end of the season. I won't do that to myself. I have no control over any of it. All I can control is my reaction to it all. I choose to enjoy the ride and see where it takes us. I'll leave the worry to the managers and players who get paid handsomely to shoulder that kind of stress.

These days it seems life is all about the destination rather than the journey. Personally, I want to enjoy the journey too, along with all its twists and turns. I hope we get there, I really do, but I'm not going to stress myself out until summer over things I have no influence over whatsoever.

Well is said. Life is too short.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #4420 on: February 4, 2019, 01:57:00 am »
Nobody wants us to win this title, absolutely no one. From opposition fans to pundits, the media, and referees. We'd had better get used to it and go into every game as if it were a cup final. West Ham would love nothing more than to throw a spanner in the works tomorrow and say they derailed our season.

Not the first time everyone's against Liverpoool and won't be the last time either.

Fuck 'em all.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #4421 on: February 4, 2019, 02:09:00 am »

But what if we're not.

Iam sitting here trying to think of something to philosophical and deep inspirational stuff to . All I can come up with though is.

Fuck off you Shithouse !
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4422 on: February 4, 2019, 03:40:50 am »
Nobody wants us to win this title, absolutely no one. From opposition fans to pundits, the media, and referees. We'd had better get used to it and go into every game as if it were a cup final.
is that you Mourinho?

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4423 on: February 4, 2019, 03:42:44 am »
The worst thing we can do as a fan base right now is fight amongst ourselves. 

Forget what happened against Leicester, or who said what afterwards about the performance.  Get behind the team and focus positive and supportive energy towards winning against West Ham.   

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4424 on: February 4, 2019, 03:49:13 am »
This is where it pays to have a manager like Klopp. He's been there & done it before. And he's a charismatic manager. It's up to him to settle the boys down & stick to what we've been doing best for the most part of the season

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4425 on: February 4, 2019, 04:42:58 am »
This is where it pays to have a manager like Klopp. He's been there & done it before. And he's a charismatic manager. It's up to him to settle the boys down & stick to what we've been doing best for the most part of the season

100%, so much harder if it was a less experienced manager trying to navigate the remaining games. 

Journalists and the media hate all the 1 game at a time stuff, but there's a very good reason for it and Klopp knows that.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #4426 on: February 4, 2019, 07:19:45 am »
But we didn't lose to Leicester.  The only team we've lost to all season is City. 

This is what happens when you start believing the media shite.  Agendas that are brainwashing the fanbase into believing this is an impossible task.

Those words from Jurgen way back in October 2015, that we needed to take the heavy backpack off that has been holding us back for so long.  That we needed to become believers before we can succeed, that to remain doubters is taking the cowards away out, (ok he didn't say that but it's how it feels).

It's too fucking easy to think we won't be successful, that we cant win, it takes no effort whatsoever to give up without a fight or with a whimper.

That's what everyone else is telling us
and some of you have decided to go along with it.

Well I'm with Jurgen every day of the fucking week.

Rant over!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Is right Debs

I feel the same meself mate. I told my mates the other day I`m booking a week off work at the end of the season and going on the piss because win or lose the league, it`s been a great season.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4427 on: February 4, 2019, 07:22:54 am »
It has been a great season and we all need to remember no one in the media was giving any team a chance against City at the start of the season, its an indication of how far we've developed this year.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4428 on: February 4, 2019, 07:30:02 am »
I don't care if we win or lose the title. We need to show a fight that will make even City shudder. We need to make them earn that title if they win it. We need to be angry now, very angry in terms of the play and increase our level.
Would help if we get some defenders back.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4429 on: February 4, 2019, 07:39:28 am »
Thing is lets be honest, we have been pretty shite for most of those 30 years. We never had a side capable of wining the leavue.

Same boat. All my life we've come up short, just enjoy it. If we win, boss, If we lose, have a moan. Whatever we do effects fuck all, just enjoy it which either you want.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #4430 on: February 4, 2019, 07:50:28 am »
It has been a great season and we all need to remember no one in the media was giving any team a chance against City at the start of the season, its an indication of how far we've developed this year.
This is not true, everyone thought we'd be battling it out with City and quite a few backed us to win it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/aug/10/liverpool-premier-league-manchester-city

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45088530

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-predictions-who-will-win-top-four-relegated-champions-league-man-untied-arsenal-a8486176.html

Obviously City were the most picked team, but they did win the league at a canter last season.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4431 on: February 4, 2019, 07:55:27 am »
This is not true, everyone thought we'd be battling it out with City and quite a few backed us to win it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/aug/10/liverpool-premier-league-manchester-city

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-predictions-who-will-win-top-four-relegated-champions-league-man-untied-arsenal-a8486176.html

Obviously City were the most picked team, but they did win the league at a canter last season.

A few granted, but most expected City to move up a level overall. I rememeber earlier than that someone proposing us challenging and it was met with laughter at the idea.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #4432 on: February 4, 2019, 07:58:16 am »

Mental looking at the league table from last season, we've swung 30 points.  :o

Also Ian Wright has a crush on us.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4433 on: February 4, 2019, 07:58:57 am »
Mental looking at the league table from last season, we've swung 30 points.  :o

Also Ian Wright has a crush on us.

Ian Wright has always liked us.

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #4434 on: February 4, 2019, 08:00:47 am »
A few granted, but most expected City to move up a level overall. I rememeber earlier than that someone proposing us challenging and it was met with laughter at the idea.
I don't really remember any of that to be honest. It's fine, obviously City were heavily backed, I'm just allergic to "the media has it in for us" throw away comments.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #4435 on: February 4, 2019, 08:03:10 am »
The mindset is a bit mental.

Saw an LFC fan on the BBC comment section (I know), saying that City are looking 'frightening' again. This after a Phil McNulty article which finished with 'the champions are back in the mood to fight to hold on to their crown.'

Imperious, unstoppable, frightening, score for fun.

They lost 2-1 to Newcastle less than a week ago.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #4436 on: February 4, 2019, 08:18:53 am »
Would be nice for us to keep that 5 point gap for most of the season.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4437 on: February 4, 2019, 08:19:32 am »
Same boat. All my life we've come up short, just enjoy it. If we win, boss, If we lose, have a moan. Whatever we do effects fuck all, just enjoy it which either you want.

If you go to the games, how you support the team absolutely has an effect.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4438 on: February 4, 2019, 08:20:06 am »
The mindset is a bit mental.

Saw an LFC fan on the BBC comment section (I know), saying that City are looking 'frightening' again. This after a Phil McNulty article which finished with 'the champions are back in the mood to fight to hold on to their crown.'

Imperious, unstoppable, frightening, score for fun.

They lost 2-1 to Newcastle less than a week ago.

A week is too long for most social media’s collective consciousness.

This time next week, we could be 7 points clear and City’s exhaustion will be the game changer again.

---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4439 on: February 4, 2019, 08:22:00 am »
Would be nice for us to keep that 5 point gap for most of the season.

Hopefully we can until Wednesday at least.