Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 168836 times)

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #801 on: March 3, 2018, 12:03:04 pm »
Hi All, just bought a new laptop. what would be the best way to get the Microsoft suite for windows 10? without paying a hefty amount!

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #802 on: March 3, 2018, 12:50:30 pm »
Microsoft Office? Drop me a PM

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #804 on: March 9, 2018, 11:00:00 pm »
Looks a good price. How is it?
So far so good. Very quick

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #805 on: April 7, 2018, 03:34:04 pm »
So far so good. Very quick

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks. Is the 256GB enough space? I'm guessing windows takes up a fair bit?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #806 on: April 7, 2018, 03:59:52 pm »
Thanks. Is the 256GB enough space? I'm guessing windows takes up a fair bit?

I ended up getting one with just an 128gb ssd & bought a 1TB Seagate back up plus for £48.Windows takes up less than 20gb
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #807 on: June 27, 2018, 01:24:01 pm »
Is this a good laptop? Ive been given a £500 to get a laptop at work, but I'm not really sure what to get. Wanted to get a thinkpad, however the ones within the price range seems to have pretty poor specs.

https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/lenovo-v110-80th0016uk-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-7200u-2-5-ghz-3-1-ghz-turbo-processor-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-windows-10-professional-64-bit.html?___SID=U

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #808 on: June 27, 2018, 03:42:50 pm »
Is this a good laptop? Ive been given a £500 to get a laptop at work, but I'm not really sure what to get. Wanted to get a thinkpad, however the ones within the price range seems to have pretty poor specs.

https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/lenovo-v110-80th0016uk-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-7200u-2-5-ghz-3-1-ghz-turbo-processor-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-windows-10-professional-64-bit.html?___SID=U

I got the kids a cheap Lenovo ideapad & it has been a far better bit of kit than I expected it to be.

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: June 27, 2018, 05:46:47 pm »

I got the kids a cheap Lenovo ideapad & it has been a far better bit of kit than I expected it to be.

Cheers

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #810 on: June 28, 2018, 09:40:50 pm »
Anyone got the XPS 13? Seems to get a good review, and tempted as this ones doing my head in
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #811 on: July 3, 2018, 12:20:35 pm »
Anyone got the XPS 13? Seems to get a good review, and tempted as this ones doing my head in

Bought this last night, picking it up tomorrow after work :lickin

https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-xps-13-9370-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-13-3-ultrasharp-4k-gold-white/p3401309

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #812 on: July 4, 2018, 09:15:04 pm »
Been looking at the XPS's to replace my Macbook - you demo'd the webcam position yet? Looks very oddly placed.

The webcam isn't something I'm going to make use of thankfully, although I have set up Windows Hello with it and it is VERY oddly-placed/unflattering. If it's something you're going to use on a daily basis then I could see it being a problem.

Anyway, I've been playing around with it since I got home from work and I love it so far. Gorgeous bit of kit. Was a bit worried that the keyboard would be a tad cramped but it's absolutely sound; the shite/defective keyboards on the current MacBook Pros are mainly what put me off sticking with Apple. Had a play with the 13" 2017 MBP and as someone who types a lot and for long periods of time there's no way I could've coped with a keyboard that "firm" for any prolonged period of time, it would've genuinely been uncomfortable.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #813 on: July 11, 2018, 12:38:47 pm »
Been looking at the XPS's to replace my Macbook - you demo'd the webcam position yet? Looks very oddly placed.

My work laptop is a dell something or other and has the camera under the screen, pure weird. The mics/sound on them are fucking woeful, also, battery life is terrible, ~3hrs for a £1700 machine? Do one dell. My 2013 Air still lasts all day and it's not like I do dramatically different things on them.

It's a Dell Precision 5510. The spec says it's 10 hours battery ;D I think that's with the lid closed.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:47:56 pm by Claire. »

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #814 on: August 2, 2018, 05:18:56 pm »
Any with any experience regarding the Acer Swift 3?

https://www.komplett.no/product/957789/pc-nettbrett/pc-baerbar-laptop/alle-baerbare-pc-er/acer-swift-3-156-full-hd#

Translates to ~£600-ish..

edit: not £650, closer to £600 ..
« Last Edit: August 3, 2018, 11:19:01 am by Ycuzz »
@Yvanicuzz

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #815 on: August 4, 2018, 07:41:52 pm »
So I have macbook airpro which I've bought about 5 years ago. The battery goes down quite fast like in 2-3 hours at max, 1 hour if watching a sports event. It says "condition:replace soon" on top corner but for some reason i am skeptical to those bastards. Should I get a new battery and how much would that cost?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #816 on: August 18, 2018, 07:08:29 pm »
Was looking to get the MacBook pro but i liked the look, feel and weight of the Macbook. Is it better to get the Macbook Pro?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #817 on: August 18, 2018, 07:17:29 pm »
So I have macbook airpro which I've bought about 5 years ago. The battery goes down quite fast like in 2-3 hours at max, 1 hour if watching a sports event. It says "condition:replace soon" on top corner but for some reason i am skeptical to those bastards. Should I get a new battery and how much would that cost?

It's £129 to replace, just book an appt at a store. I've bought a new battery for a MBP (when you could just clip them out) and it was £120 so it's not that bad really. Should come with a warranty, ask them.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #818 on: August 18, 2018, 07:22:30 pm »
Was looking to get the MacBook pro but i liked the look, feel and weight of the Macbook. Is it better to get the Macbook Pro?

Price wise they aren't that different, for let's say a 256GB SSD drive model - and I'd always go for MBPro even though it's slightly heavier it is still an exceptionally slick and light machine. Both are absolutely fucked for ports and you'll need dongles of all kinds to work normally since you can't plug in normal USB cables, SD cards, HDMI, headphones - and all of those I use very often. After that it depends on the kind of work you do, if it's mostly browsing, consuming content and writing - then decide by which one you can afford, but if you work with video, graphics, music or 3D, then MBPro is your only real choice. Macbook is a bit lightweight for serious work.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #819 on: August 20, 2018, 07:31:08 pm »
Price wise they aren't that different, for let's say a 256GB SSD drive model - and I'd always go for MBPro even though it's slightly heavier it is still an exceptionally slick and light machine. Both are absolutely fucked for ports and you'll need dongles of all kinds to work normally since you can't plug in normal USB cables, SD cards, HDMI, headphones - and all of those I use very often. After that it depends on the kind of work you do, if it's mostly browsing, consuming content and writing - then decide by which one you can afford, but if you work with video, graphics, music or 3D, then MBPro is your only real choice. Macbook is a bit lightweight for serious work.

Thanks. Will probably just get the MacBook Pro.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: August 21, 2018, 07:47:42 am »
There's also the other option of the lovely Airs. Though the mac rumours guide is saying don't buy one of those at the mo: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #821 on: August 21, 2018, 10:40:08 pm »
There's also the other option of the lovely Airs. Though the mac rumours guide is saying don't buy one of those at the mo: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

Looked into that but when I saw the laptops in the store it was quite noticable how poorer the screen was with the Mac Air compared to the others.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: August 22, 2018, 08:34:52 am »
yeah they don't have retina and the screens are matt so they don't look as impressive, to work on there's less reflections and shit though! Hopefully (and it's what I've been holding off for!) the air will be getting an update soon. Should know in the next few weeks.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #823 on: August 23, 2018, 11:18:16 am »
I don't think there's going to be an Air update :(

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #824 on: September 7, 2018, 12:00:17 pm »
Any advice on this Laptop please. only want it for browsing internet, no games or downloading. bigger screen size would be great for me. only thing putting me off is no reviews as it's a new model.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8628697
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #825 on: September 7, 2018, 12:11:14 pm »
Any advice on this Laptop please. only want it for browsing internet, no games or downloading. bigger screen size would be great for me. only thing putting me off is no reviews as it's a new model.

Got the lad a 320s a few months ago,much lower spec than that one but it is surprisingly good.Personally I would go for the one with a slightly smaller screen just because it has an ssd,you can get a 1tb portable drive for less than £50.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #826 on: September 7, 2018, 12:55:18 pm »

Got the lad a 320s a few months ago,much lower spec than that one but it is surprisingly good.Personally I would go for the one with a slightly smaller screen just because it has an ssd,you can get a 1tb portable drive for less than £50.
Eyesight awful so I enlarge fonts etc so bigger screen would help. to be honest I don't understand what you mean by smaller screen as it has SSD.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: September 7, 2018, 01:01:45 pm »
Eyesight awful so I enlarge fonts etc so bigger screen would help. to be honest I don't understand what you mean by smaller screen as it has SSD.

SSD = Solid state drive,just means that it is good to go within 20 seconds of powering it up.

The one you listed will be more than enough for what you need though mate.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #828 on: September 7, 2018, 01:10:17 pm »
SSD = Solid state drive,just means that it is good to go within 20 seconds of powering it up.

The one you listed will be more than enough for what you need though mate.
Looks fine to me but as you can tell am not very hi tech.
Pot luck sometimes,bought a Lenavo a few years back, awful crackling away while browsing the net,took it back and expected argument but they changed it no problem,the replacement has been brilliant, quiet and quick, been knocked over by grandkids and shutting down and repairing itself a few times a day now, will get a new laptop and do a reinstall and have it as a spare for kids to play on. ta for advice. :)
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #829 on: September 10, 2018, 09:46:10 am »

If you just want it for the internet, have you looked at chromebooks?

https://ao.com/product/4cl86eaabu-hp-laptop-grey-59786-251.aspx HP chromebook for £199, alright specs.

You only get a small amount of storage on the laptop itself, as it's all web based, but if you only use it to go online... you don't need it anyway ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:50:46 am by Claire. »

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #830 on: September 10, 2018, 07:00:05 pm »
If you just want it for the internet, have you looked at chromebooks?

https://ao.com/product/4cl86eaabu-hp-laptop-grey-59786-251.aspx HP chromebook for £199, alright specs.

You only get a small amount of storage on the laptop itself, as it's all web based, but if you only use it to go online... you don't need it anyway ;D
Thanks, screen a bit small for me but would like to get another Lenavo as the one I have now has been far better than other Laptops ive had in the past.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #831 on: September 22, 2018, 06:58:28 pm »
Looking for a new laptop mainly used for work reasons. I work from home on the laptop so a lot of the time I will be flicking through Facebook, company website, user portal, google drive / microsoft office.

I imagine you don't need something overly powerful for this but I need something which is reliable + durable, has good battery life ideally and most importantly is fast when it comes to switching between files, tabs and all round good performance etc Any recommendations?
Justice for the 97

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #832 on: November 2, 2018, 03:07:24 pm »
Anybody recommend a laptop for uni work etc? Girlfriend has been doing my head in the last couple of months borrowing my laptop and I haven't seen it since. I've got a decent laptop. Bought it mainly for playing football manager (new one released today) and watching football on it.

Can anyone help with a low budget laptop to be able to browse, research, use moodle and Office. Would be greatly appreciated and would allow me to get my laptop back  :D

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #833 on: November 11, 2018, 05:51:13 am »
Anybody recommend a laptop for uni work etc? Girlfriend has been doing my head in the last couple of months borrowing my laptop and I haven't seen it since. I've got a decent laptop. Bought it mainly for playing football manager (new one released today) and watching football on it.

Can anyone help with a low budget laptop to be able to browse, research, use moodle and Office. Would be greatly appreciated and would allow me to get my laptop back  :D
Just saw this, sorry.  I've had great luck with my last two laptops being refurbished. I bought an Acer Swift SF314-51 about 6 months ago. Saved a lot of money vs. a new one. Go here: https://acerrecertified.com/

Good luck!
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #834 on: November 12, 2018, 11:58:07 am »
Putting this on here on the off chance it helps anyone.

I've had a Dell XPS 13 9360 for about a year now and was always disappointed with the web browsing speeds. Youtube constantly buffered, pages took ages to load, that sort of thing.

I was contemplating getting rid and going back to a Mac but then I discovered that the Killer WiFi cards installed in the XPS range are renowned for being quite shit.

I ordered a replacement Intel card (AC 9260) for about £25 and after a five minute replacement, booted the laptop to find it is now remarkably quicker. It's like getting a new machine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079QJQF4Y

Would highly recommend making the switch if you're unhappy with your Dell XPS.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:09:56 pm by .adam »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #835 on: November 14, 2018, 09:15:07 am »
Sister is after a laptop for my Nephew, mostly for school work (he's 13/14) - don't think she wants to spend a fortune.

Anyone seen any great deals knocking about?

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #836 on: November 14, 2018, 01:44:13 pm »
Sister is after a laptop for my Nephew, mostly for school work (he's 13/14) - don't think she wants to spend a fortune.

Anyone seen any great deals knocking about?

Probably best waiting for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals to start popping up next week
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #837 on: November 22, 2018, 04:52:18 pm »
Looking for a new laptop (and also one for eldest daughter for Chrimble)

I don't ask for much, but I just cannot find the combination of processor I want with SSD and 15.6" screen for the price I want to pay.

Can get 2 out of 3, but never the full 3.

I'm at the stage where I'm arguing with myself that the budget I set could be upped a bit 'cos it's not that much', and sticking to the budget because that's already the max I really want to be shelling out. Throw in also that I'm obsessive about getting the absolute best deal I can (and going into a right funk if I later find I've not).

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #838 on: November 22, 2018, 05:05:32 pm »
What size SSD and processor are you after and what budget?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #839 on: November 23, 2018, 04:25:51 pm »
What size SSD and processor are you after and what budget?

You'll probably think I'm wanting the moon on a stick, but for me I want an i5 (7th or 8th gen) with at least 128gb SSD. Top budget £350. It'd ideally have 8gb ram, too, but this hoiks the price.

For the other, an i3, again ideally with SSD but not absolutely necessary. Target budget £250 but can go up a bit (CurrysPCWorld have a Lenovo with 6th gen i3 and HDD for £280)

I've found out that HP are doing a trade-in when buying certain laptops. Laptop Direct have HP ProBooks with 256gb SSD, down to £304 (i3) and £334 (i5) - although I suspect after reading the full T&C's on the HP site that LD have got that wrong, and the trade-in cashback would be £50 less for each with the laptops I'd have to trade-in.

I also know about a site that does a mix of graded and 'open box' stock, and they have amazing deals, but they go super-fast and they've nothing in stock apparently right now (hmmm...). Looked at a HP 250 G6 with i5, 256gb SSD, 8gb ram for £249, but it'd gone by the time I decided to buy it.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"