Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 168874 times)

Offline 4

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #760 on: January 4, 2017, 04:10:21 pm »
Hi guys, basically, I know pretty much fuck all when it comes to laptops, but I am in need of a new one. All I'd really use it for would be doing uni work on, using the internet and playing footy manager - but I'd also like it to be quite small and light. Am i right in assuming that laptops used for games such as FM are usually bigger and bulkier and more powerful?

I was looking at the Lenovo ThinkPad, or possibly a preowned Mac, but like I said I am pretty much an amateur so I don't really know what I'm looking for!

My budget would be around £400-500.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: April 10, 2017, 06:13:03 pm »
Wondering if these specs on a new laptop are achievable for a £400 budget:

i5 processor  (or 6th/7th Gen i3)
1TB HDD
8GB RAM  (though I can always upgrade this later on)
15.6" screen
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: April 10, 2017, 07:56:50 pm »
Wondering if these specs on a new laptop are achievable for a £400 budget:

i5 processor  (or 6th/7th Gen i3)
1TB HDD
8GB RAM  (though I can always upgrade this later on)
15.6" screen

A quick look on Ebuyer says yep. Saw these 2:

HP 250 G5 i3 Laptop X0Q06ES £360 (Bigger SSD)
Acer Aspire E-14 (E5-475) Laptop £390 (Better processor but 14")

What do you want to be able to do with the laptop? Both have U processors which are more for portable laptops than a powerhouse.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: April 11, 2017, 07:22:16 pm »
A quick look on Ebuyer says yep. Saw these 2:

HP 250 G5 i3 Laptop X0Q06ES £360 (Bigger SSD)
Acer Aspire E-14 (E5-475) Laptop £390 (Better processor but 14")

What do you want to be able to do with the laptop? Both have U processors which are more for portable laptops than a powerhouse.
It's for the wife, she keeps a lot of her music on her old laptop but it's dying (one of those where it's taking an age to power up and only works with the power cable plugged in) but she wants to be playing some semi-intensive games.  She likes the simulator'type games plus she's possibly changing directions in work so she's likely multi-tasking with it.  That's why I've gone with a traditional HDD rather than an SSD as boot-up time isn't a major issue.  A 15.6" is better than portability as it likely won't be leaving the house too often, but we're too tight for space for a desktop.

I have this one: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-akoya-e6421-core-i5-6200u-8gb-1tb-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-30020525/version.asp and I got that for £370 so I was hoping a similar spec would be about.  I guess the fall in the pound is a big factor in prices at the minute.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: April 11, 2017, 08:32:54 pm »
I found an SSD made a massive difference when playing Footy Manager which is a simulation game, SSD's are more than just a fast boot up time. If it was me I'd stick with an SSD, 8GB RAM and after that just look for the laptop with the best processor whilst staying within your budget. I'm not up to date with which sites/shops are the best but you can always look on Laptops Direct, Amazon and Ebuyer.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: April 13, 2017, 01:38:55 pm »
I think it's one of those where I can see the benefit of an SSD but she mightn't.  A hybrid drive would be ideal but they're hard to come across whenever I've looked (unless they only fit 3.5" bays) as the storage aspect is fairly important to her.  I'll see what sort of SSD I can get, I think 256GB would probably be a minimum though.

I usually use all three of those btw, I used to use Dabs until BT bought it out.
My Twitter

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #766 on: April 18, 2017, 12:36:26 pm »
I recently bought a HP 255 G5 with a 128GB SSD. For my needs, which is mostly for browsing and streaming shows and sports, I am very happy with it. Only cost me about £250.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: April 18, 2017, 09:40:58 pm »
Are Macbook Airs any good? I will only use it to browse online and download music with the odd stream here and there.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: April 19, 2017, 09:26:33 am »
Can anyone recommend a good Laptop which can dock?

I like the use of a 'desktop' but also want the portability of a laptop so looking for something that can dock into a monitor/mouse/keyboard set up and can also easily be picked up and taken away.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: April 19, 2017, 07:35:19 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good Laptop which can dock?

I like the use of a 'desktop' but also want the portability of a laptop so looking for something that can dock into a monitor/mouse/keyboard set up and can also easily be picked up and taken away.

Depends on your price range. I've always liked the Dell XPS range but Dell do quite a few laptops which dock as a lot of companies use them as business laptops. My work laptop is a Dell and the dock it uses connects via USB rather than through a port in the base which the older ones used to use. I find the USB connection better as we had some issues in work with the pins in the base port getting bent.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #770 on: April 19, 2017, 08:37:08 pm »
i purchased a lenovo yoga 510, it looks great, has a touch screen and can rotate all the way back into a tablet mode.. but its so damn slow when you turn it on.. it doesnt pick up untill its been on for atleast 20 minutes.. is this normal? i do have the care plan with currys so should i take it back?

Offline gav91v

• Kopite
« Reply #771 on: April 20, 2017, 12:05:56 am »
i purchased a lenovo yoga 510, it looks great, has a touch screen and can rotate all the way back into a tablet mode.. but its so damn slow when you turn it on.. it doesnt pick up untill its been on for atleast 20 minutes.. is this normal? i do have the care plan with currys so should i take it back?

My mate had one of those and had the same problems, with his eventually just not starting up. It then broke down after about 6 months of him having it. However his brother had used it before with no issues, but not sure for how long. Would be no harm in taking it back and getting them to look at it, but it does seem its a common feature of that laptop unfortunately.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #772 on: April 20, 2017, 01:26:57 am »
My mate had one of those and had the same problems, with his eventually just not starting up. It then broke down after about 6 months of him having it. However his brother had used it before with no issues, but not sure for how long. Would be no harm in taking it back and getting them to look at it, but it does seem its a common feature of that laptop unfortunately.

hmm, see the thing is when it load it up its slow af, after 20 minutes or so its perfect and fast, i do really like the touch screen/tablet feature though, i may just take it back and see what they say to be on the safe side

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #773 on: April 20, 2017, 09:05:52 pm »
Anyone know any free virus packages for a lap top? Pretty sure mines got a virus.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: April 20, 2017, 09:17:59 pm »
Anyone know any free virus packages for a lap top? Pretty sure mines got a virus.
Malwarebytes is usually pretty good for sorting it out

https://www.malwarebytes.com

Try Superantispyware as well

http://www.superantispyware.com

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #775 on: April 21, 2017, 11:35:46 am »
Malwarebytes is usually pretty good for sorting it out

https://www.malwarebytes.com

Try Superantispyware as well

http://www.superantispyware.com
Cheers mate, i'll give them ago.
Keep being told my lap top isn't compatible with them. Something to do with chrome.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:14:39 pm by hide5seek »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Purchasing a Lap Top advice
« Reply #776 on: July 5, 2017, 12:41:32 pm »
Apologies posted on wrong forum , moved to Technology

Im sure a tedious question for you guys who live in the mythical world of computer technology...but whats the best Lap top circa £750 ( dunno if thats an appropiate figure but at moment thats the budget).

Ditching our Dell Computer as moving house will mean less space and a lap top seems the more appropiate direction. It will mainly be used for internet browsing, domestic files and my lad will play internet games. Music would be played as well.

Any advice  or guidance welcome

« Last Edit: July 5, 2017, 01:43:15 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
Purchasing a Lap Top Advice
« Reply #777 on: July 5, 2017, 01:41:54 pm »
apologies, orginally posted on gaming thread by mistake :wave

Im sure a tedious question for you guys who live in the mythical world of computer technology...but whats the best Lap top circa £750 ( dunno if thats an appropiate figure but at moment thats the budget).

Ditching our Dell Computer as moving house will mean less space and a lap top seems the more appropiate direction. It will mainly be used for internet browsing, domestic files and my lad will play internet games. Music would be played as well.

Any advice  or guidance welcome

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
Re: Purchasing a Lap Top Advice
« Reply #778 on: July 5, 2017, 01:56:41 pm »
Have a look in this thread https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=216047 most of the advice probably still stands, just got cheaper.

Ha, dunno what happened there, corrected, I think.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2017, 02:03:52 pm by WhoHe »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #779 on: July 5, 2017, 01:57:54 pm »
Have a look in this thread https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=2160 most of the advice probably still stands, just got cheaper.

You want him to buy Sami Hyypia?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
Re: Purchasing a Lap Top advice
« Reply #780 on: July 5, 2017, 02:17:22 pm »
personally (similar usage) I went for best spec I could get for below £300, in my experience they last about 3-5 years and then I get another, in 4 years you get a higher spec for similar money, so around £750 for 10 years of laptop. 

Most of my browsing is now on my phone.

(was similar to http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo_e50-70_intel_core_i3-4030u_4gb_500gb_dvdrw_15.6_windows_8.1_laptop_80ja0132uk/version.asp)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: July 5, 2017, 02:56:27 pm »
Have a look in this thread https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=216047 most of the advice probably still stands, just got cheaper.

Ha, dunno what happened there, corrected, I think.

Cheers, I did search for a previous thread , honest!!

You want him to buy Sami Hyypia?

If I could buy a new Sami Hyypia for £750 I would!!!

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Re: Purchasing a Lap Top advice
« Reply #782 on: July 5, 2017, 07:27:18 pm »
Might be too much but at £850 you could get a MacBook Air. I use mine similarly to how you're describing and it's perfect.

Offline PresuminEd74

• Kemlynite
« Reply #783 on: August 5, 2017, 07:31:52 pm »
Looking for a laptop mainly for Lightroom. Display is most important quality was going to go down Mac road, displays are fantastic but latest pro's seem very costly. Is there anything PC wise I should be looking at. Saw display on Surface pro which is great but in my eyes, colour wise not quite as good as the retina displays. Is there anything out there that rivals the Mac display?

I'm after a new laptop and apart from streaming it'll be used for Lightroom. Just wondering what you went for? Had a look at Imacs but I'd rather spend £1k plus on a drone.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #784 on: August 13, 2017, 07:31:59 pm »
dell e7470 is a brilliant computer if you can get the high res one.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #785 on: September 3, 2017, 04:45:01 pm »
Would appreciate some advice on getting a new laptop to be used for MS Office, general surfing and downloading.  I'm a teacher and need a second laptop for prep work.

Currently using an Acer Travelmate 5744 i3-380M 2.53GHz with 4GB RAM which is about 5 years old but works very well and is plenty fast enough.

Have been looking at the HP 14 Inch Intel Celeron 4GB 1TB from Argos as it's only £250 and wanted a large HDD to back up photos and music.   Processor speed is 1.6 GHz though.  Is that fast enough for what I need do you think or should I go for similar to what I had last time?
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: September 3, 2017, 06:09:09 pm »
Celerons are a bit wimpy when it comes to processing power normally, I'd say look for a Pentium for a price range under £300 myself, something like this might be a bit better, plus a 15.6" screen too.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-110-15-6-laptop-black-10157866-pdt.html
My Twitter

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #787 on: September 3, 2017, 06:54:20 pm »
Celerons are a bit wimpy when it comes to processing power normally, I'd say look for a Pentium for a price range under £300 myself, something like this might be a bit better, plus a 15.6" screen too.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-110-15-6-laptop-black-10157866-pdt.html

Cheers. Looks like that will be ideal
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #788 on: December 11, 2017, 07:00:34 pm »
Bought football manager today to discover my laptop appears to be passed it sell by date - in fairness it’s quite old.

Looking recommendations for a new laptop that will allow me to play it without any hassle.

Have around £500 to spend and happy to wait for the sales after Christmas to purchase.

Minimum requirements are

Minimum Windows FM 2018 System Requirements

OS: Windows Vista (SP2), 7 (SP1), 8/8.1, 10 (1703/Creators Update) - 64-bit or 32-bit
Processor: Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core or AMD Athlon – 2.2 GHz +
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB VRAM
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 7 GB available space

Thanks in advance

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: January 20, 2018, 04:40:21 am »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: January 20, 2018, 03:05:49 pm »
Apart from the lack of SSD that seems to be a really capable machine. It's not going to be a high performance gaming rig but it'll play a load of last gen games at high res I suspect and will be a great productivity/general laptop.

-----

You may be interested in these laptops I'm looking at:

Lenovo/Dell refurbs - 8gb RAM, SSDs and i5 processors for under £250

https://www.gigarefurb.co.uk/refurbished-laptops?memory=41
yeah, i'm not gonna be using it for gaming, i'll just stick to my ps4 there. the 5 year warranty, shock/drop proof build, plus the specs are the selling points for me here. i'll have a look for anything cheaper though
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: January 20, 2018, 03:42:21 pm »
yeah, i'm not gonna be using it for gaming, i'll just stick to my ps4 there. the 5 year warranty, shock/drop proof build, plus the specs are the selling points for me here. i'll have a look for anything cheaper though

Then SSD is a must. They can withstand up to 1,500 g during operation or 25 times that of a standard drive.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #792 on: January 31, 2018, 10:58:38 am »
Can anyone reccomend a laptop purely for just internet use and the odd bit of streaming? Looking at a lenovos maybe? Budget of around £300

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: February 5, 2018, 08:10:09 pm »
https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-bs162sa-15-6-laptop-silk-gold-10169335-pdt.html

This is a boss little set-up for under £400 isn't it?  The 4GB is a bit weedy but I can throw in an 8GB stick in any time, it's mainly for the missus (who still hasn't got one) to internet browse, horde some music, play Netflix and play some games (though nothing modern at all, think Ambulance Simulator-types).

https://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-14-bw020na-14-amd-a6-dual-core-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-laptop-with-dvdrw-blue/599-7314.prd?skuId=599-7314

She wants this (she'll get it for £341 because of discount) but I'm not convinced it's going to do everything she wants it to.
My Twitter

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: February 10, 2018, 12:04:03 pm »
I am debating between a couple of laptops. One has a 128gb SSD drive, the other a 500GB SSHD (Solid state hybrid drive).

I have no interest in buying a laptop with the lag of old style hard drives (I love SSD), but i'm intrigued by SSHD and the bigger capacity it offers. Also, the description of the SSHD drive says: "The drive uses only nonvolatile memory to store data instead of the spinning platters and moving heads. This results in fast access times and data transfer. This small form-factor drive has no moving parts. As a result it acts as a reliable storage device". Again, this sounds interesting and potentially appealing.

Is anyone here familiar with SSHD technology? Would you vouch for it, or would you recommend I just stick to SSD and take the smaller drive?
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #795 on: February 13, 2018, 07:58:27 pm »
I am debating between a couple of laptops. One has a 128gb SSD drive, the other a 500GB SSHD (Solid state hybrid drive).

I have no interest in buying a laptop with the lag of old style hard drives (I love SSD), but i'm intrigued by SSHD and the bigger capacity it offers. Also, the description of the SSHD drive says: "The drive uses only nonvolatile memory to store data instead of the spinning platters and moving heads. This results in fast access times and data transfer. This small form-factor drive has no moving parts. As a result it acts as a reliable storage device". Again, this sounds interesting and potentially appealing.

Is anyone here familiar with SSHD technology? Would you vouch for it, or would you recommend I just stick to SSD and take the smaller drive?
Not used one myself but my understanding is that the hybrid drive acts a bit like having faster/more cache.  The solid state part does not show up as a separate drive and you can't chose to install stuff on it separately.  At least that's what they were like the last time I looked.

When you can buy a £500 GB SSD for under £120 I would be tempted to look for something cheap like CornerFlag highlighted above and chuck one of these in: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive

I have put Intel, Kingston, Crucial and SanDisk SSDs into my computers and they are all great after using HDDs but 128 GB is just too small  for me unless its going in a desktop as a system drive.  The Samsung EVOs though seem to have been the quickest for a while now.

The other bonuses with SSDs are light weight and better battery life which helps if it is going to be a portable.

Laptop manufacturers seem to want charge rather a lot for piddly little SSDs (which you can buy for ~£40) and charge Mac money for large or PCIE SSDs (even quicker). In many cases it will be cheaper to buy your own and if you do a clean windows install you also get the benefit of losing all the crap bundled software.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: February 15, 2018, 01:03:54 am »
Not used one myself but my understanding is that the hybrid drive acts a bit like having faster/more cache.  The solid state part does not show up as a separate drive and you can't chose to install stuff on it separately.  At least that's what they were like the last time I looked.

When you can buy a £500 GB SSD for under £120 I would be tempted to look for something cheap like CornerFlag highlighted above and chuck one of these in: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive

I have put Intel, Kingston, Crucial and SanDisk SSDs into my computers and they are all great after using HDDs but 128 GB is just too small  for me unless its going in a desktop as a system drive.  The Samsung EVOs though seem to have been the quickest for a while now.

The other bonuses with SSDs are light weight and better battery life which helps if it is going to be a portable.

Laptop manufacturers seem to want charge rather a lot for piddly little SSDs (which you can buy for ~£40) and charge Mac money for large or PCIE SSDs (even quicker). In many cases it will be cheaper to buy your own and if you do a clean windows install you also get the benefit of losing all the crap bundled software.

Thanks for your advice mate - I think just buying a 512gb ssd drive and doing a clean install is the way I will go!
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #797 on: February 20, 2018, 01:38:06 pm »
im looking for a laptop that i can log into work pc, that can handle remote desktop(teamviewer)
budget is around 300-400
any recommendations?

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #798 on: February 20, 2018, 04:10:24 pm »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: February 25, 2018, 06:01:18 pm »
Laptops finally packed in so I’m in the market for a new one.

Any recommendations? Basically use it for browsing, Word, Music and will be looking to run a couple of games on it too like FM and Cuphead if possible.

Looking to pay about 400.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]