Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 168823 times)

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Re: Out of date Laptop
« Reply #720 on: March 7, 2016, 03:03:45 pm »
Resetting an old Windows machine to factory can be worse than installing Ubuntu.

Done one at the two weekends and the damned thing simply refused to download updates (56 hours and much hair pulling later) eventually 'solved' the problem by upgrading it to Windows 10 (by burning a Windows 10 DVD and doing an upgrade that way - the online wouldn't download no matter what I did).

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #721 on: March 7, 2016, 03:22:53 pm »
Turn the thing upside down
Take a picture with your mobile of the underside
Post the picture here
I wonder how Mrs Crosby Knickerless feels about this :o ;) ;D 8) :wave

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #722 on: March 7, 2016, 03:29:45 pm »

Knickerless by name, knickerless by nature...

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: March 7, 2016, 03:38:16 pm »
Knickerless by name, knickerless by nature...
Pictures or it never happened ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #724 on: March 7, 2016, 04:15:57 pm »
Still in the drawer! I remember now it crashed on me whilst writing up a World Cup Group A preview so I'm blaming Jersey Kopite for all this.

Have you tried leaving it switched on overnight so it can install updates. Not saying thats the issue, but it could be.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: March 7, 2016, 04:56:15 pm »
Depending on the age of the thing, the battery could be shot too - that can also lead to strange issues that result in freezing.  Try removing it and run on mains power only. 

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #726 on: March 7, 2016, 04:56:38 pm »
:lmao

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #727 on: March 9, 2016, 09:00:10 pm »
Someone who has openly suggested they aren't confident with a computer is hardly going to rebuild the machine or install Ubuntu...

Chrome seems to be your biggest concern at the moment. Chrome should automatically install Flash updates, so you won't need to manually install anything. You can see if your Chrome can be updated, which it probably can if you haven't used it in over a year. Open Chrome > Menu (looks like a burger!) > Settings > About and from there you can see if it can be updated - chances are it will update itself.

When you start it up/shut it down are you getting any update/configuring messages? I would agree with whoever said above that your machine is probably way behind on updates. In the evening, go to Control Panel > Windows Update > Check for Updates... This will probably take a while but come back to it after 30-45 minutes and see what it has found. You can let it update and leave it to run through the night.

However, if you have done this and it appears to get 'stuck' then you may want to try installing them in smaller batches i.e. when it searches for updates and shows available updates, you can tick/untick what you want it to install. Might be best to try it in smaller batches. One of my users had this issue a few weeks back, and it was one update amongst 68 that was killing the machine and preventing it from updating. I just did it in smaller batches to try and narrow down the fucker. I would normally wipe and rebuild to be honest but it was his home computer, not his work computer, and he stuff on there he needed, so I played the long game. Took about 4/5 hours as they machine was dreadfully slow but the updates were preventing him from accessing the internet and doing anything, really. 4/5 hours but I only had to do something for a few minutes every half hour or so.

The idiot returns!...

(Titi despite following your steps, Internet Explorer refuses to open)...

Tried to update Chrome as instructed above. Tells me that updates are disabled by the administrator (this is me but doesn't seem to give me an option to enable updates).

Also followed the steps to search for updates but it told me that everything is up to date.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: March 9, 2016, 09:06:53 pm »
The idiot returns!...

(Titi despite following your steps, Internet Explorer refuses to open)...
Start Windows 7 in Safe Mode with Networking
1. Immediately after the computer is powered on or restarted (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key in 1 second intervals.
2. After your computer displays hardware information and runs a memory test, the Advanced Boot Options menu will appear.
3. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Networking and press ENTER.

Then retry the steps I gave earlier :wave

Again the offer to fix it for free is still there as long as Knickerless photos are on said lappie ;D :wave

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: March 10, 2016, 12:25:07 am »
Re: Chrome Updates... it's risky (you'll be editing the Windows Registry but it's safe if you follow the path exactly!)

Here are step by step instructions:
1. Save these instructions somewhere safe and close all instances of Chrome
2. Press the Windows key + R, type regedit.exe and press Enter
3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\
4. Double-click on UpdateDefault or DefaultUpdate
5. Change the data type 0 to 1
6. Exit the registry editor and launch Chrome

Disclaimer: These instructions involve modifying your Windows registry. If you're uncomfortable or unfamiliar with editing your registry, you may want to consult a computer technician before you start. You may also want to consider backing up your registry before proceeding.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #730 on: March 14, 2016, 05:02:16 pm »
How to install ChromeOS on an old laptop: turn a Windows laptop into a Chromebook for free

Got an old laptop lying around? Give it a new lease of life by turning it into a Chromebook – for free! Our step-by-step guide will show you how to install ChromeOS.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/software/how-install-chromeos-on-old-laptop-3636672/
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #731 on: March 14, 2016, 05:04:57 pm »
Managed to update Chrome in the end so for now it serves its its purpose. Thanks all :wave

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: March 14, 2016, 07:55:29 pm »
Hold down the power and home buttons at the same time and wait for the apple sign to appear

Erm......
@johnbuckels

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: March 15, 2016, 07:59:06 am »
Managed to update Chrome in the end so for now it serves its its purpose. Thanks all :wave

:wave

Great! As long as it serves the purpose.

I still think you should install Ubuntu onto the thing... ;D

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #734 on: March 22, 2016, 11:51:07 am »
Any recommendations in the €400 range? What kind of specs should i expect for that price?

This any good? https://www.svp.co.uk/computing/laptops/amd-laptops/hp-envy-15-ah150sa-15-6-amd-a10-8gb-ram-2tb-hdd-amd-radeon-r6-graphics-win-10-laptop-silver.html

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #735 on: March 24, 2016, 08:20:28 am »
Got a pretty good laptop spec wise which keeps failing on me. Charger has stopped working twice, I can't actually remember the issue exactly now but something inside the lapotp broke where it kept switching off about 6 months ago so I went into a shop and got that fixed but now the screen is fucked. It kept 'tittering' a few weeks back but now its literally just bright coloured lights flashing everywhere almost as if someones smashed it but its perfectly intact.

I'm going to try get it fixed but if not what would be a good laptop to buy for about £250?

I only need it for...
- Web browsing
- Streaming the occasional match
- iTunes and just storing pictures/music
- Downloading films from uTorrent
I won't be playing games on it I just need something that will be reasonably quick which I can use when im home from work to mess around on. I haven't bought a laptop in about 4 years so no idea what the ideal processors and all that are these days. Recommendations would be appreciated :)
Justice for the 97

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: March 26, 2016, 11:27:36 am »
My kid wants a new laptop for his birthday. Is it possible to move all the games he has paid for and downloaded from my laptop to a new one or will they have to be paid for again?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #737 on: March 26, 2016, 07:56:32 pm »
My kid wants a new laptop for his birthday. Is it possible to move all the games he has paid for and downloaded from my laptop to a new one or will they have to be paid for again?

Do you mean games from 'Steam'...

https://www.tescotechsupport.com/feature/how-to-move-steam-games/
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: March 27, 2016, 06:15:34 pm »
Do you mean games from 'Steam'...

https://www.tescotechsupport.com/feature/how-to-move-steam-games/

Not just steam mate. The likes of minecraft and a few others he's got on my laptop.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #739 on: March 30, 2016, 11:56:19 am »
Not just steam mate. The likes of minecraft and a few others he's got on my laptop.
Is it not just as simple as getting a memory stick, bunging it in the USB port, finding the location of the game on your hard drive and copying it to the memory stick? he then just transfers it from the stick to the same location on his hard drive that you located it in on yours.

You can buy a transfer cable, but I never had any joy before with one, although I need one today as I have an all in one arriving (big screen with hard drive behind it) to replace my laptop. Got six years of good service from a top end HP pavilion, but it did cost £1100 back then. The new thing is a refurb with 8gig ram and 1 terabyte, auction win for £126.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #740 on: June 26, 2016, 10:19:07 pm »
Am hoping to buy a Lenovo Yoga 3 tablet, just wondering if anyone know if you can download Mobdro andvthe likes (Showbox, movieHD etc. on this? Any response would be greatly appreciated before I fork out for it.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #741 on: June 27, 2016, 12:39:56 am »
Anybody got the Asus X555LA?

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #742 on: July 4, 2016, 01:31:43 am »
Is there an easyish inexpensive way to fix pressure marks on a laptop LCD screen? Been looking everywhere but the general consensus is either replace the screen or live with it, maybe someone in here has a more suitable solution.
« Last Edit: July 4, 2016, 02:16:55 am by Lastrador »

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
Laptop decent enought to run photoshop stuff
« Reply #743 on: November 11, 2016, 09:43:12 am »
Domt know anything about specs of laptops and stuff but my niece is a art student and could do with a laptop decent enough tl run photoshop editing stuff. Any recomemdations?

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
Re: Laptop decent enought to run photoshop stuff
« Reply #744 on: November 11, 2016, 11:43:18 am »
Anything with a Core i3 and above will be fine for Photoshop, provided you have at least 8 GB RAM.  For really really heavy stuff you may want an i5 with a dedicated gpu. But for normal stuff, even a Core M3 6th Gen will be fine.

Specifically

CPU/Motherboard - Something based on a 6th/7th gen Intel 'i' or 'm' series. Do NOT go for Pentium or Celeron branded CPUs. They suck for anything heavier than web browsing and minecraft. With or without a dedicated GPU - ok either way (provided your niece is not a hardcore gamer or something!)

RAM: AT LEAST 4 GB, recommended 8 to 16GBS.

Harddrive - Solid State makes a HUGE difference to general performance. People underestimate just how important storage can be in day to day operations. An i3 with an SSD will kick the ass of an i7 with a mechanical drive, easy. Boot times will be MUCH faster as well.  This is one area where I never compromise.  However, SSD equipped machines are usually on the expensive side and have smaller capacities, so if you have budgetary constraints, they might not work for you.

Display - As an art student, color accuracy and gamut is very important i would assume, so go for an IPS monitor with AT LEAST 1080p resolution.  Avoid TN displays like plague.

Rest of the specs are not that important(battery perhaps) so you can look around and pick one that suits your budget and requirements.

Phuk yoo

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #745 on: November 11, 2016, 11:59:17 am »
Agreed with the RAM. Personally I'd say min 8GB, as tend to find that's the first thing to (majorly) slow things down if got 4 or below.

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: November 11, 2016, 02:05:20 pm »
Thanks

Offline KOTP

• Legacy Fan

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: November 12, 2016, 07:34:13 pm »
I'd argue that for an art student looking to do work in Photoshop, possibly expand into other visual design software - a quality screen is very important, possibly more important then bare processor and RAM specs.
Macbook is the simplest solution. DELL XPS series is great as well.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #750 on: November 13, 2016, 01:18:57 am »
I'd argue that for an art student looking to do work in Photoshop, possibly expand into other visual design software - a quality screen is very important, possibly more important then bare processor and RAM specs.

Yep.

15inch 1080p as a minimum, IPS panel with good RGB reproduction.
:D

Offline Demo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #751 on: November 14, 2016, 12:26:51 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good value,low priced laptop in the -£200 range?
My lad started high school in september and i wanted to get him one for xmas to help him with schoolwork projects and the like.
Preferably one that can also handle photo editing and a bit of media,kodi etc

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: November 14, 2016, 12:31:56 pm »

That's an ideal, though. The thing is, his niece will have access to uni computer labs that will likely have top spec Pros to use, we did, so me using my (still rather expensive but it was in 2003!) basic machine at home wasn't too much of a big deal.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: November 15, 2016, 09:30:16 am »
I work with a fair few graphical interfaces in my astro course so THIS has been fine for the level I operate at.  For an art student looking to use PS and I'm guessing video editing stuff later on you're looking at something at least with that processor but an excellent dedicated graphics card.  To be honest if she has the room I'd look to get a desktop computer or be reliant on the uni computers.  I'm in a uni computer room writing this and the system I have has an i7-6700 processor in with 16GB of RAM.  That would be the ideal specs.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: November 15, 2016, 09:55:51 pm »
out of curiosity, what are peoples experiences with Acer laptops? I have an Acer for almost 7 years and the only issue ive had with it really was occasional noise distortion from the speakers which updates seemed to fix and a tag stuck in the fan causing it to overheat.

Also with HP. nearly every HP i have come across has had issues. mainly overheating.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: November 15, 2016, 10:16:46 pm »
Looking for a laptop mainly for Lightroom. Display is most important quality was going to go down Mac road, displays are fantastic but latest pro's seem very costly. Is there anything PC wise I should be looking at. Saw display on Surface pro which is great but in my eyes, colour wise not quite as good as the retina displays. Is there anything out there that rivals the Mac display?
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #756 on: November 16, 2016, 05:36:01 am »
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-zenbook-pro-ux501-v

Check it out. Worth every penny.

Even better but more expensive

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP940Z5L-X01US

More accurate than your 'retina' display...

Both of those can run anything you can throw at them and more...
Phuk yoo

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: November 16, 2016, 11:32:49 am »
Looking for a laptop mainly for Lightroom. Display is most important quality was going to go down Mac road, displays are fantastic but latest pro's seem very costly. Is there anything PC wise I should be looking at. Saw display on Surface pro which is great but in my eyes, colour wise not quite as good as the retina displays. Is there anything out there that rivals the Mac display?

Can't recommend anything cos I only use macs but you had a nose on the refurb store? http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac - sometimes, high spec returns appear, not been used but box opened. They're expensive but have you considered an iMac? I have the 5K and it's absolutely beautiful.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: November 16, 2016, 09:57:55 pm »
Thanks '21' the zenbook looks fantastic and what I was looking for pricewise, my only worry is that the screen is glossy, which would mean I could omly use it in ideal conditions. Claire The 5k imac's are beautiful and at some point I can see myself going down this route atm I have a decent 27 ips screen with a windows set up that still has quite a bit of life left in it, I wanted something portable  the macbooks loook too expensive but I keep getting drawn back to their screens. I'll look at that refurb store or might way up pros and cons of a decent ipad pro and using lightroom mobile and syncing on main computer, not my first choice.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: December 10, 2016, 06:58:49 pm »
Looking to get a replacement battery for my asus laptop and was wondering where the best place to get a good battery would be. Dont want to get cheap chinese one but then again I dont want to be spending more than £50 on one.