Author Topic: Music Streaming Services  (Read 2351 times)

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
Music Streaming Services
« on: April 2, 2023, 11:51:56 pm »
What do you use and have you tried others?

I’ve tried Spotify, YouTube music, Amazon, tidal and Apple Music.

I was initially Spotify like everyone else but moved to YouTube because premium removes the adds on normal YouTube and because there is loads of stuff on there that isn’t anywhere else since it was only uploaded there albeit in really bad quality. I then tried Amazon and tidal as they had higher quality streaming options but I honestly couldn’t tell the difference with my headphone setup bar when it’s a YouTube oldie that was uploaded to the normal site years ago. In the past week I ordered a new Sonos speaker that does Atmos but the Atmos only works with Amazon and apple. Thought the Amazon app was shite so wasn’t signing up to that again, only option was apple and I normally give them a wide birth bar iPads.

I’m hearing a noticeable improvement in quality over all the other apps now on apple. It could be my setup but my setup handles all codecs so I’m not sure why this is. I used beyerdynamics tygr 300’s and a FiiO btr3k dac for all when listening, not high end stuff but should be a decent way to notice differences which I could never really hear until trying the apple one.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Re: Music Streaming Services
« Reply #1 on: April 3, 2023, 12:01:52 pm »
erm Bittorrent and save your money? :D

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2023, 12:20:28 pm »
Have Youtube Premium and Apple Music.

Youtube Premium is use because of the no ads thing, not really for music. I noticed I was watching more of than I do any other vide streaming service so it was worth it. Plus it's really cheap here. Like the equivalent of 13 pounds a year.

Apple Music is what I use mostly. It's just so well integrated to everything else I own. I get Apple TV+, 50GB of cloud storage, and Apple Music for less than two pounds a month, so again very good deal. Like you, it was the Spatial Audio that won me over.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2023, 12:27:31 pm »
Tidal HIFI.
Best sound quality.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 3, 2023, 01:31:06 pm »
Tried Spotify for a few months but didn't see the value and free option is jarring with adverts.

I have one main Youtube account where i set up all my playlists and then just get a new free trial each month by setting up a new account each time, and subcribe to the main one. It's great having no adverts and also be able to lock phone and still listen (for free). I watch more YT than anything else too so makes sense.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 3, 2023, 02:39:10 pm »
Apple Music for lossless/spatial and it's on all my devices anyway.

I did use Spotify for years up until AM launched and then I switched over cos I was getting it for free and have stayed.

Offline ooter1

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: April 3, 2023, 04:17:54 pm »
have a tidal subscription through argentina, costs me less that 1 euro a month and i can share my login with up to 5 people.  :champ

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 3, 2023, 08:47:49 pm »
Have Youtube Premium and Apple Music.

Youtube Premium is use because of the no ads thing, not really for music. I noticed I was watching more of than I do any other vide streaming service so it was worth it. Plus it's really cheap here. Like the equivalent of 13 pounds a year.

Apple Music is what I use mostly. It's just so well integrated to everything else I own. I get Apple TV+, 50GB of cloud storage, and Apple Music for less than two pounds a month, so again very good deal. Like you, it was the Spatial Audio that won me over.
The reason I won’t be getting rid of YouTube premium is the ads and like yourself I watch YouTube more than anything else. I should stop being lazy though get a vpn and get it cheap from another country. Would need an online paying method as well.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 3, 2023, 10:38:34 pm »
erm Bittorrent and save your money? :D
No way would I go back to downloading music. Streaming services are a must these days unlike Netflix etc that can easily be replaced by not so legal available streaming methods.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #9 on: April 5, 2023, 06:58:57 am »
YouTube Vanced off my blower (to never see ads). I also rip music from Deezer with a little download tool

Also have Spotify as I listen to so much I basically use loads of storage for tunes. I like exploring and finding new music (doing SoundHound when out, or checking out certain genres, or a specific artist that's in my head for whatever reason) so, in a real out-of-character thing for me am happy to pay for Spotify

Also because if you go on the Lyrics bit for a song it might have a little looped video for the tune
The one for Riders On the Storm is an animated  Jim Morrison driving down a highway in the rain

Edit: giving Tidal a try. See what the hi-fi quality is like
« Last Edit: April 5, 2023, 07:47:34 am by ToneLa »

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #10 on: April 5, 2023, 09:50:47 am »
No way would I go back to downloading music. Streaming services are a must these days unlike Netflix etc that can easily be replaced by not so legal available streaming methods.

Even as someone who happily still torrents all the video content I'm after, I've given up adding to the MP3 library I started waaaaaay back in the Napster days. It wasn't a conscious decision, and maybe even 5 or so years ago I was still using ripping tools to grab hold of anything I'd stumbled across on YT, but it got to point I had several hundred MP3s just sat in my 'Downloads' that I then never did anything with. Around the same time I dipped my toe into the Amazon Echo setups, and so started paying for Prime Music. I'd always assumed that the streaming services only really catered to mainstream audiences so was pretty impressed by just what I was finding on there, including all the content I was still downloading. There are still a few favourite albums that are just too obscure for Amazon, so my backup is a Plex server that is linked into the Echos via a skill to provide that particular music when desired.

I only really listen to MP3 files now in the car, I keep a USB stick there with several hundred 'classics', but increasingly I find myself using the Amazon Music app to sync a couple of playlists (so they stream locally and not use data) instead. I can't get my Plex stuff that way though, I'd need the specific app for that and I can't be bothered paying extra to occasionally listen to half a dozen albums.

What this thread has illustrated to me though, with the YT premium comments, is that there are people who apparently don't use browser ad blockers to stop all that sort of thing happening.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2023, 09:53:23 am by Riquende »
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #11 on: April 5, 2023, 10:27:04 am »
Yeah I'm still being a tight ass an not paying anyone :D Soulseek and FLAC format and sorted

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 5, 2023, 11:19:28 am »
YouTube vanced (basically YouTube premium without the cost), a cracked version of Spotify (all the benifiets of premium again without the cost) and an IPTV sub giving every channel I could ever want, all the PPV stuff and everything which is on Prime, Netflix etc and a whole lot more for £25 a year.

For podcasts I tend to use BBC Sounds and Castbox. Both are free.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 5, 2023, 01:57:30 pm »
Spotify, generally.

My brother-in-law has a Tidal Family Account and shared a login for that with me too. Been using it a fair bit but can't say I notice a great increase in quality on the home speakers (Sonos Fives and Ones). Might give it a go with the Sony cans to see if it makes much of a difference.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 5, 2023, 02:40:41 pm »
YouTube vanced (basically YouTube premium without the cost), a cracked version of Spotify (all the benifiets of premium again without the cost) and an IPTV sub giving every channel I could ever want, all the PPV stuff and everything which is on Prime, Netflix etc and a whole lot more for £25 a year.

For podcasts I tend to use BBC Sounds and Castbox. Both are free.

Sup my YouTube Vanced amigo

Throw in Plex and I've got that setup (my IPTV is a bit worse at on demand than the Plex service)

What's the cracked Spotify called?

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: April 5, 2023, 05:53:51 pm »
I have 13 years of playlists on Spotify, that to me makes it a no brainer. I'd probably give Tidal to a go otherwise but a tenner a month is nothing - under half the price of one new LP.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 5, 2023, 06:05:52 pm »
You can import playlists to Tidal

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 5, 2023, 08:44:13 pm »
What's the cracked Spotify called?

Just one I found on a popular torrent site years ago. Only works on android though. Basically you need to set up a free account. Uninstall the latest version of Spotify, install the cracked .apk and log in with your free account.

The file i use is called Spotify Music 8.6.0.830 [Final] [Mod Apk] {B4tman}
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #18 on: April 6, 2023, 04:52:51 pm »
have a tidal subscription through argentina, costs me less that 1 euro a month and i can share my login with up to 5 people.  :champ

Same and the quality is excellent, sounds fantastic on my Kefs

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2023, 01:56:08 am »
Spotify Family, not even sure what the cost is, think it's about £15 a month, myself, daughter, son and wife all use it daily.

Couldn't do without it, used to torrent and had all the songs I downloaded on an iPod back in the day. Tried Deezer, Amazon music, Apple music and YouTube but prefer Spotify
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2023, 03:11:55 pm »

Nice one, just did this myself. I prefer spotify as i think their suggestion algorithms are better, but i was using tidal due to the integration with djay pro ai, but couldn’t really justify the extra cost, but with this Argentina sign up trick (used hola free vpn for sign up), i got the standard hifi tidal for ars99 = £0.38 per month. Just use tune my music to transfer playlists
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 07:54:41 am by McSquared »

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2023, 10:07:23 pm »
Same and the quality is excellent, sounds fantastic on my Kefs
Which Kefs do you have? They are all supposed to be great but I couldn’t justify the outlay personally so went with the Sonos era 300 (absolutely delighted with it and would recommend to anyone looking in that price bracket) and will probably add another further down the line for proper stereo.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 10:09:56 pm by MBL? »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2023, 08:55:04 am »
Still using https://www.ibroadcast.com/ a lot but then I have decades' worth of my own FLACs / MP3s

Just thought I'd give it a shout out, to seem old

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2023, 06:35:24 pm »
I’d never used a streaming site but got 6 months of Apple Music free

Pretty spooky how it comes up with a play list that includes stuff I’ve never heard yet I really like. Not always obvious stuff either
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2023, 08:52:11 am »
dunno mate, it's always recommending me country music or dance for some reason and it's about as far from my taste as you could get.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2023, 09:39:43 am »
Always used Spotify, but have just signed up for a family subsciption of Apple One.

£22.95 for Apple Music, Apple Arcade, Apple TV+, 200GB iCloud that all 5 of us in the house can use I think is pretty decent.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2023, 10:48:25 am »
Always used Spotify, but have just signed up for a family subsciption of Apple One.

£22.95 for Apple Music, Apple Arcade, Apple TV+, 200GB iCloud that all 5 of us in the house can use I think is pretty decent.

Their family packages - if you have enough people to make use of it - are really amazing value. Is Fitness+ also in the bundle? I'd rather have that instead of Arcade.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2023, 11:04:03 am »
fitness is included in the premier one.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2023, 11:19:07 am »
Yeah no Fitness+ on the Family, you need the Premier which is £32.95

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2023, 06:50:50 am »
I had to sign up to Premier as my daughters use more than 200gb each with TikTok nonsense .  It's great value and there are no real restrictions on who can use it, one of my mates buys me a beer or two to use Music and Apple TV.  I've never used Arcade though.

Offline ooter1

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: October 1, 2023, 07:45:06 pm »
I've been getting cheap tidal through Argentina for a while now but that loophole has been closed unfortunately, does anyone know of another cheap option for a music streaming service through another country?

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #31 on: October 1, 2023, 09:36:25 pm »
Cracked Spotify is the way to go. Been using it for a few years now.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 7, 2023, 09:41:41 am »
Keep meaning to do cracked Spotify but I just got 6 months free of Apple Music (EE customer)

So far so blah - spatial might be interesting if I find any music I actually like in it. Nice having everything lossless. Otherwise there's not much to differentiate it from Tidal or Spotify etc.

As ever first thing I did was turn off the autoplay thing - hate listening to an album, then tracks by some unrelated artist start playing. I guess that's "the algorithm"