Author Topic: Cheltenham 2017 - The 10th Annual RAWK Cheltenham Tipster Competition  (Read 28515 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
***Congratulations to OHWELOVEYERBALDYHEAD - He is the Cheltenham 2017 RAWK Champion Tipster***   :champ

2017 sees The 'RAWK Cheltenham Tipster' competition enter double figures and it's 10th glorious year.

With less than a week until this years Festival kicks off on Tuesday 14th March, it's time to get this years competition rolling again.  The previous nine editions have all been really good fun, competitive with a healthy turnout each day.

Last years competition saw RAWK poster 'Salgar' overcome a 10 point deficit on the last day to claim top spot and win the 2016 competition.

The general rules of the game are simple and remain basically the same as last year but with the addition this year of bonus points for placed horses with larger SP's as I believe players tipping a large priced horse that manages to place should be rewarded as such.

Rules

Pick one horse per race each day of the festival. Points are accumulated as follows depending on where your selection is placed.

Winner - 15 points
Second - 10 points
Third - 7 points
Fourth - 4 points

Points are only awarded for places which the bookies pay out on (e.g. 1/2/3 for 8 or more runners and 1/2/3/4 for 16+ runners).  Some bookies pay 5 places on really big races but this will not apply to this competition.

All important Odds Bonus points are available for certain winners and placed horses that are above a certain price. (SP).  The bonus points value for winners over 33/1 and 16/1 has also increased slightly from last year.

Winner 33/1 and over = 20 bonus points
Winner 16/1 and over =  15 bonus points
Winner 8/1 and over = 5 bonus points

Placed horses 33/1 and over - 10 Bonus points
Placed horses between 16/1 and 33/1 - 5 Bonus points

NOTE: A horse cannot gain both win and place bonus points in any one race.

On each days racing you must also pick ONE NAP horse. If your NAP selection WINS, then you receive DOUBLE points.  In previous years, players received just a 10 point bonus for picking a NAP winner.  I felt that a double point bonus may encourage people to try and NAP a more risky selection at longer odds and therefore gain more points.  It also gives people further down the leader board a chance to move up with a bit more of a risk/reward tactic.

The double point NAP bonus worked well in its first year (2014) and WernerRed scored a huge 100 points on day 4 and probably would have won the whole competition had he not entered the competition late on Day 2.

So to clarify the scoring and NAP bonus - if you picked a 10/1 winner you will get 20 points as standard (15 + 5).  If you made this your NAP of the day you would receive double and get 40 points.  Napping a 33/1 winner would get you 70 Points (15 + 20 x 2). Napping an odds on favourite would gather no odds bonus and just get you the standard 15 points for a winner then doubled. (15 x 2 = 30). And so on.

I will provide a daily points tally and overall leader board each evening in this thread and will also update the tables on this OP.

Important info:

Entries to be posted in this thread BEFORE the first race each day. (you can also post the night before if you wish).

Any Non-Runners in your selections will be replaced by the SP Favourite.

If you don't think you've got the time to make any proper selections on one of the days at least try and post something along the lines of "Fav every race". In the event of JT Favourites your selection will be deemed as the favourite that is first alphabetically.

**Anyone with edits on their original post AFTER the start of the FIRST race each day, will void ALL their selections for that day!!! No exceptions**

Any player who neglects to post entries for any 2 of the 4 festival days will be removed completely from the competition.  NO EXCEPTIONS. This rule allows players to miss posting selections for any one day and also gives other players the opportunity to join the competition late (Wednesday).

Please feel free to post/edit your selections right up to the time of the first race each day or maybe even post your whole weeks selections in one go. (reminder: NR's will be replaced by SP Fav)

Again, if you're pressed for time to get your entry in, I'll even except an entry posted in the thread consisting of random numbers eg: 8,5,11,9,3,2 or maybe even 'number 2 every race'.  If any of these numbers  don't figure in the race you will still get the SP favourite and a chance to score points.

Any questions about the point scoring or selections please feel free to ask in this thread or drop me a PM.  We will not be having separate threads for chat and selections this year we can just keep it all contained in this thread.

No prizes I'm afraid - just the glory of being RAWK's Champion Cheltenham Tipster 2017 and getting your name on the much sought after 'virtual' trophy below!!

Hall of Fame

2016 Winner - Salgar
2015 Winner - Beefdog
2014 Winner - Desi Kopite
2013 Winner - Fazak_Red
2012 Winner - Alex
2011 Winner - Alex
2010 Winner - CK
2009 Winner - Somerset Red
2008 Winner - StuwieG

« Last Edit: February 1, 2018, 01:01:15 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Nice one Pete! Great addition with the place bonus system. Should deffo make it more competitive this year!
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
Hallo all!
Cheers Pete for running this again.  :wave
If I get any news from the stables I'll pass it on - You have been warned!!!!

Is it just me this year, as outside of the usual suspects - Altior, Douvan, Neon Wolf etc., nothing's screaming at me - just read the Weekender and I'm worse off than before......
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
Definitely in!

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Well in Pete, I'll throw my hat in this year.
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline somersetred

• Kopite
Nice one Pete, I'm in mate

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
 :wave
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• Legacy Fan
Hallo all!
Cheers Pete for running this again.  :wave
If I get any news from the stables I'll pass it on - You have been warned!!!!

Is it just me this year, as outside of the usual suspects - Altior, Douvan, Neon Wolf etc., nothing's screaming at me - just read the Weekender and I'm worse off than before......

Wide open this year mate. Will certainly test punters but I prefer it this way, plenty of value to be had!

Offline SKITTLE

• Legacy Fan
  • One of the "older" brigade.
I'm in please.
Been there,done that,getting older,bordering on part timer status. So sad but that's life.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Yep.

Deffo in.

Any tips for the real races are welcome .  I must admit I only follow Cheltenham and Aintree and dont even have a look at the fields to a few days before.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Re: Cheltenham 2017 - The 10th Annual RAWK Cheltenham Tipster Competition
« Reply #10 on: March 9, 2017, 10:07:21 am »
I got Lord Windemere off here three years ago and it won at 33/1 also got a 40/1 second in the race after .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 9, 2017, 10:15:40 am »
Can't wait. I'm in. Cheers Pete

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 9, 2017, 10:16:28 am »
In again this year.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 9, 2017, 10:42:46 am »
I got Lord Windemere off here three years ago and it won at 33/1 also got a 40/1 second in the race after .

Yeah i went to the Gold Cup that year and we all did Lord Windemere on the strength of that tip. We came away fucking loaded and very pissed.

It was Y2w902 who gave us the tip. Think he works in a bookies and had it given to him.

Definitely in!

And the very man is here again this year. We want more tips mate!!! :)

Offline Paullfc95

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 9, 2017, 01:40:25 pm »
Nice one Pete. Count me in

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #15 on: March 9, 2017, 01:52:01 pm »
My un-educated arse will be throwing his hat in this year. My aim is to avoid last place and will be a laugh anyway
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #16 on: March 9, 2017, 01:53:04 pm »
Count me in Pete.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 9, 2017, 02:25:47 pm »
My un-educated arse will be throwing his hat in this year. My aim is to avoid last place and will be a laugh anyway

Last place gets a Virtual trophy mate.  I unfortunately won it myself a few years back

KOTP is the proud owner at the mo :)

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #18 on: March 9, 2017, 04:16:31 pm »
Count me in Pete! Same old story for me every year from memory. I have some really good days, and then others I can't pick a fucking thing. That's my gambling luck in general really. Hopefully I can put 4 solid days together and end up near the top.

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 9, 2017, 04:32:45 pm »
Yeah i went to the Gold Cup that year and we all did Lord Windemere on the strength of that tip. We came away fucking loaded and very pissed.

It was Y2w902 who gave us the tip. Think he works in a bookies and had it given to him.

And the very man is here again this year. We want more tips mate!!! :)

Haha no pressure then!

I'm still in the industry but at the head office in Gibraltar these days. Profit has increased each year the last 3 years.

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #20 on: March 9, 2017, 07:28:15 pm »
And so it starts.......Starchitect is catching pigeons apparently, with more news to follow on Moonracer, Champers etc.

Offline CraigR2323

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 12:14:32 am »
Yes please!

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 12:19:19 am »
Count me in, first time last year. I did well at the bookies as well thanks to tips in here.

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 01:27:13 am »
In like Flynn ......cant wait
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline Luke 17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 03:32:03 am »
i'm in

Offline quinny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 08:24:35 am »
I'm in.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 09:08:16 am »
And so it starts.......Starchitect is catching pigeons apparently, with more news to follow on Moonracer, Champers etc.

Wish all these Starchitect rumours would go away! Been a long term fancy of mine for any handicap at the Festival and now the price is evaporating! His chase mark is extremely lenient.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 12:07:30 pm »
What does catching pigeons mean?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 12:18:38 pm »
What does catching pigeons mean?

He's flying basically. He'll be seriously impressing on the gallops along side other good horses.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 12:22:58 pm »
He's flying basically. He'll be seriously impressing on the gallops along side other good horses.

Cheers. My mate has said to get on him but seeing that this morning made me think it was a negative  :D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 12:29:08 pm »
Cheers. My mate has said to get on him but seeing that this morning made me think it was a negative  :D

Been spoken about a fair bit at Cheltenham preview evenings. Then there's also his very lenient Chase mark he has currently, he finished last season rated 150 over hurdles and is currently only on 143 over fences. Usually horses marks will increase when they go over fences so you'd think there's probably a lot more to come from him and Pipe will no doubt have him ready for whatever handicap he goes for.

Offline Xabisfeet

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 07:35:37 pm »
Looking forward to it.

Off to Wolverhampton tomorrow to build up the kitty!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 12:14:48 am »
Good to see some of the old troopers coming out for this :)

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 11:21:34 am »
A word from the professionals - the Timeform Cheltenham Horses to Follow guide has just landed through the letterbox, so I thought I'd share their tips; interesting to see how they get on versus us shitbags!!

Tuesday:
Ballyandy
Altior
Noble Endeavour
Yarnworth
Apples Jade
A Genie in a bottle
Burtons Well

Weds:
Bacardys
Peregrine Run
Might Bite
Douvan
Cantlow
Nietzsche
Carter McKay

Thurs:
Yorkhill
Impulsive Star
Sub Lieutenant
Unowhatimeanharry
Sizing Codelco
Forge Meadow
Southfield Royale

Fri:
Defi du Seuil
Winter Escape
Wholestone
Cue Card
Wonderful Charm
Brio Conti
Starchitect
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:23:31 pm by Mag Hull »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 12:44:53 pm »
nice one Mag Hull. I'll add 'Timeform Pros' to the scoring and leaderboard and we can see how we do against them :)

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 12:49:55 pm »
Breaking news........Starchitect goes in the Brown Advisory Plate on Thurs and is really really fancied for it.......you all know what to do  8)

Offline beefdog

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 01:04:53 pm »
Pipe announced that yesterday at the Taunton preview, also said he wants to run Moon Racer in the Supreme but owners want to go Champion hurdle.

Offline beefdog

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2017, 01:05:44 pm »
Looking forward to the competition as usual, always good fun.

Offline beefdog

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2017, 02:44:00 pm »
Champion Hurdle it is. Can't blame the owners, the horse is a nightmare to train/keep sound and is 8yrs old.

Offline CraigR2323

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2017, 08:01:11 pm »
I've lurked around this webpage for years and years. It's especially useful around Cheltenham. Sure, it's other peoples opinions, but it can help compound or bin your own! Apols if everyone is already aware of it!

https://www.olbg.com/forum/forum6.html