Author Topic: Rafa's mate Martinez  (Read 15149 times)

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rafa's mate Martinez
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2009, 02:18:40 pm »
Yup.

The really sad thing is that, on a personal level, I reckon a lot of those Journo twats actually like and sympathise with Rafa. Seriously, how could they not? How could you have experienced years of Fergus press conferences, going home covered in dangerously alcoholic slobber, having a clammy, yellow nailed finger repeatedly pointed at you while a drunken tramp tells 'Yous can fuck off. Yous are all idiots. Veron is a fucking quality player etc etc', then go to a Liverpool press conference and find a foreign man making gentle, teasing jokes about cricket and the like? You can almost feel the difference in atmosphere when you see it on TV (with the possible exception of the Sky lot, anyway).

But the bastards know their jobs. The media is commercially driven, man utd make commercial sense, it makes commercial sense that we're the villains. It really annoys me when people are like 'What? conspiracy/bias? Rubbish. Just ridiculous. You're deluded...' as if it were all random speculation based on a grainy old video or something, rather than the obvious thing you would do if you were a company utterly obsessed with profit, trying to maximise that profit.

Sky sells football because football sells sky. Man Utd sell football better than any other British team because like it or not, they've always had a bigger fan base, and in particular a bigger casual fan base. Man Utd are the crowbar Sky use to open up foreign markets, it is in Sky's commercial interests to promote man utd, and for man utd to be successful. Murdoch does not give a shit about anything but money and power, man utd help him get that, we hate man utd, heroes vs villains sells, so we have to be the villains, even if it means a sustained propaganda campaign against one of the most decent, honest, honourable and just generally nice people in football.

Good stuff as always HBHR, but I have to disagree on your comments regarding their fan base.
There is no doubt that it's massive and the debate on who's is the biggest between ourselves and them could run forever.

However your assumption that they have always had a bigger fan base is debatable.
I've no doubt that at one point, after Munich, they accumulated a great number of 'neutral' followers amongst both the National and International football community.This was no doubt increased to a extent by their success in Europe 10 years later.
However this was shortlived in terms of exposure and their decline into mediocrity only compounded that.
With our success at home and abroad over 20 years, and the increased television exposure of the game in the 70s and 80s I would suggest that we would have surpassed their levels.
I would also add that, our 'extra' support was formed from success on the field rather than sympathy and would have therefore created a more dynamic, loyal and sustainable fan base abroad.

The onset of the Murdoch empire no doubt changed all of that as more and more fans became influenced by the hype. Success on the field being commensurate with who the 'neutral' in Asia or Africa would attach themselves to.
Saying all of that, there is and always will be anomalies. Which in this case is Liverpool Football Club, Anfield and The Kop. It's that intangible attraction that no amount of hype can dissuade.
We have seen in recent years how the media, and particularly television, have focused on the European nights at Anfield especially to add value to their coverage.
Where else in Europe on a Champions League night can television 'sell' the heritage and spectacle of the game more than when we or even Celtic to a lesser extent are playing.

Go back a few years and the pundits on television either spoke over You'll Never Walk Alone or the teams were superimposed over The Kop with the sound muted. Slightly different now I think.
Added to our Champions League success in 05; our continued roller coaster ride in Europe and you have a heady, very influential cocktail which fans want to drink more and more of.

I feel there is a sea change that is starting to gain momentum as Sky etc attempt to add value to their coverage. I have no doubt that Man Utd being successful is still their hope, but Liverpool being successful adds far more value as far as marketting the game is concerned.They will monitor the fortunes of all of the top teams but I guarantee that the viewing figures for a meaningless European game at Anfield would draw more viewers than a comparable fixture at OT, Stamford Bridge or The Emirates.
On top of that 'real' football fans have been sick of the manufactured and sanitised fare they see served up.
We are and have always been different in terms of our show of support. Just look at the attempts to manufacture and replicate the pageantry at Anfield we have seen on the increase in recent years.
Man Utd's 50th Anniversary of Munich with the giving of scarves. Newcastle also.Chelsea are turning it into an art form. Fans want to see this but they know the real thing when they see it as opposed to the deliberate attempts to artificially create it.
It's akin to Disney's pink fibre glass castles being compared to a 600 year old hand built Medieval fortress.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline AFX

• Kopite
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2009, 02:20:39 pm »
Roberto Martinez denies Mr. Ferguson attack

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has "categorically denied" suggesting that the Football Association is afraid to punish his Manchester United counterpart Mr. Ferguson.

Spanish publication AS reported on Tuesday that Martinez had commented on Ferguson's FA charge of improper conduct for comments made about Alan Wiley's physical condition - a charge which the United manager has admitted to - by suggesting that the governing body were treating the case too leniently due to the standing the Scot enjoys in the English game.

Martinez reputedly told the Spanish paper: "They (the FA) have just sanctioned Ferguson for saying that referee was not fit enough and the truth is that they're almost apologising to him for punishing him. Any other coach would have been crushed for that."

The report went on to claim that Martinez had labelled Sam Allardyce and Steve Bruce as Ferguson's "group of faithfuls" and that his fellow Spaniard Rafa Benitez had been unfairly treated during his time in England.

But in a statement published on the official website of the League Managers' Association on Wednesday, Martinez strongly denied making the inflammatory comments.

"Wigan Athletic manager, Roberto Martinez, has today categorically denied making the comments about Mr. Ferguson that have been attributed to him in a number of media reports," a statement from the LMA read. " Martinez has referred the matter to the League Managers Association.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=690535&sec=england&cc=5739
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline R.A.La

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2009, 02:29:03 pm »
he's come out and denied saying these comments now ;D

Yup. Someone on talkshite was talking about getting a copy of the original taped interview, presumably to point out what a lying twat Martinez is. (Character assassination starts here).

Wish he would have stuck to his guns to be honest.
those people were scared off by the distress chatter and the organised internet terrorism campaign that was directed against people involved.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2009, 02:53:50 pm »
Its a shame he has denied it. I think this will still have a positive effect for Rafa though, and hopefully neutral managers won't fall at the drunks feet anymore.
Would love to see Rafa, Martinez and Hughes come out together and criticize the FA for being too leniant on Ferguson. Any chance of it?

Has anyone said anything about Ferguson criticising the ref AGAIN on Sunday? Surely this breaches the new rule about talking about refs after games....
Add this to the Wiley charge and hopefully he'll be banned for a long time.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
  • I just can't get enough...
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2009, 02:57:04 pm »
Well apparently he never said anything. So either he did and is now denying it, or the media are making up rubbish (AGAIN). If so why does Rafa's name have to be dragged into it  :butt
“Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.”

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2009, 02:57:47 pm »
He's only denied it because Whelan threatened to sack him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2009, 02:58:13 pm »
I don't wish, in any way, to underestimate how huge a club we are, but with all due respect I don't think you're right, and with further respect I think it gets harder to see the closer to Anfield you were born, grew up etc.

When I grew up in the 80's, there was only one club that filtered into my non-football watching (at that time) child's brain. Manchester Utd. I even vaguely (shameful I know) liked them when I was 5 or so. Fortunately my brother supported Liverpool because of the Beatles, my best mate supported them (before 'switching' to Man Utd when the Sky hype really started kicking in) and so I became a Liverpool supporter and never looked back - Liverpool was the first club I ever properly watched and supported, Man Utd was more just the only club who's reach went far enough for me to have heard of them in a non-football obsessed environment and no-one really watching it on TV.

Which is exactly what I mean about them being 'bigger', I can't remember it being different. A lot of it is media creation, I'm sure. A lot of it is also political, I'm equally sure - especially during the 70s and 80s. No doubt Liverpool built up a massive fanbase, and they are without any doubt the club that (almost) all European fans respect - but they're proper fans who support their clubs.

For whatever reason though, we've never had that 'glory glory' aura that surrounds United. Best was lauded as a hero, Dalglish - well, you wouldn't know he existed unless you followed football and paid at least some attention to Liverpool. Anyone really casual, anyone taking a glancing look will only really hear about Utd. Possibly also doesn't help that our player base has generally been more celtic - Liverpool mean little to 'Engurland' - Utd do, and have done for a very long time with players like Charlton, Whiteside, Styles, Robson, Beckham, now Rooney. Indeed, can you remember a modern England team that didn't have a Utd star as it's star? I certainly can't. Rooney replace Beckham replaced Scholes more or less replaced Robson - Shearer is the obvious exception I think.

Also helped by Utd's finances, certainly since the 80's, where they have generally outbid everyone for the 'cream' of the English crop.

Of course, then you add in that we never exploited the commercial side that well, though it's changing, wheras that was one thing Utd got on board with straight away - something that doesn't surprise me at all because for me they've always been about brand values.

The glory glory myth, the feting of one superstar icon that their team is built around - it also fits right in with the general xenophobic and now xenophobic and commercial prejudices of our press. We hate tactics but adore players - That Georgie Best, what a legend. Cantona, what a genius. Becks, England's lion, blah blah blah blah blah.

I don't mean to suggest it has always been this way, but in my lifetime? I've never known any different, put it that way, as an OOT and as someone who was never brought up on the game - I'm a Sky generation fan. I think you're right about the time to kind of pinpoint the change, and as with Sky that happened at EXACTLY the right time for Best to become the first real undisputed superstar footballer.Again, that led to brand recognition. I wonder how many people only even started to know about football via his exploits on and off the pitch?

Also, every set of researched figures I've seen in my life (and I can remember, say, up to 20 years with reasonable clarity) have put Utd very close in terms of 'core' support, but significantly ahead in terms of 'casual' support, and I would guess it's even more significant among people who might just watch a game 'if it's on', or who are patriotic supporters - like I support rowing in the Olympics, not a clue, but want England to win, whatever the sport. Unless it's skiing, where my Austrian half unashamedly takes over and revels in the feeling of being THE superior nation in what is undoubtedly our national sport.

Finally, just speaking subjectively, just in terms of memory, impression, talking to fans etc. I would say that Liverpool are more respected abroad, and more so the more knowledgable the fan you talk to, the more passionate a supporter, the more European in many ways. We're also hugely respected for another thing that makes us disliked by many neutrals - we, alone among English clubs, and pretty much unique in English history, actively embraced the foreign. We didn't adapt the European style, we learned it off by heart, made it better, and exported it back to Europe, and actually really built the foundations for teams like AC Milan to dominate with for the next decade - real European football fans will never forget that.

But respect isn't fame, isn't popularity. Never have I got the impression from the media, from random people, from gut feeling, that there is any truly superstar club in England except for Man Utd. They would be mentioned in the same breath as Real Madrid, we wouldn't. Euorpe isn't where the casuals are either, when the game went global, that Man Utd myth was exported at frightening speed, but I've no doubt in my mind that's because Sky saw where the brand was, who they were going to sell the most sky boxes to (and the proper fans were NEVER going to be a significant market, certainly not a growth market - the armchair fans is where it's at), and with those kinds of fans it's been all about Man Utd for as long as I can remember, perhaps particularly because of the Engurlund thing.

That myth, that brand, that patriotic association goes back well before Sky, IMO. Football never sells to casuals but stories do - myths do, and Utd exploit that power better than anyone, whether always deliberate or not, they've done it since Best and since then no-one's ever really got close.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:02:13 pm by hesbighesred »
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline AFX

• Kopite
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2009, 03:00:43 pm »

I doubt he's threatened to sack him but it wouldn't shock me if he's asked him to deny it. Hopefully a recording of it comes out.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2009, 03:04:08 pm »
I doubt he's threatened to sack him but it wouldn't shock me if he's asked him to deny it. Hopefully a recording of it comes out.

Was it Whelan who admitted to being a man u fan and was quoted last season, before their man u fixture, saying something stupid like 'it will be a shame if we win and a shame if we lose'? and he was also reported to have rolled a red carpet out for the man u squad? Am sure it was reported on sky sports news last season. May have been a load of rubbish like.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2009, 03:07:23 pm »

Wouldn't be surprised
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2009, 03:08:58 pm »
Yeah well. I wouldn't trust the LMA as far as I could shit them after that disgraceful show from Fergusdyce. The way they so confidently referred to Fergus's lower intestine's 'great work' for the organisation, while being in flagrant breach of rules one to about rule 157, subclause B(12) did a good job of revealing exactly who holds sway in that particular union, who calls the shots.

Who the hell knows what's been said behind closed doors? Maybe Martinez has been told life will be very difficult for him if he keeps this up? Been gently reminded that a small club manager outside the union means nothing?

It's not like other unions don't work exactly like that, and it's not like we don't know that there are certain prominent LMA members with 'interesting' agendas and a history of backing each other's plays.

I don't blame him if he has backtracked - he's been here long enough (in the top flight I mean) to see how it works, but not long enough to see what can happen if you challenge it. The media threat could be enough by itself - there's people in the LMA with plenty enough power to put serious heat under Martinez, what exactly could he do about it? He doesn't even have the protection of fans and a city like Liverpool have.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2009, 03:10:56 pm »
Wouldn't be surprised
Yeah right, his chairman obviously won't have helped either. Wouldn't take too many words from him for Martinez to get worried, I'm sure.

All that said, it would probably make Martinez all the more determined - this may not be the end of it, especially if Martinez gets a good start at a bigger club in a year or two, or takes Wigan high enough that he's effectively unsackable.

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2009, 03:14:02 pm »
Was it Whelan who admitted to being a man u fan and was quoted last season, before their man u fixture, saying something stupid like 'it will be a shame if we win and a shame if we lose'? and he was also reported to have rolled a red carpet out for the man u squad? Am sure it was reported on sky sports news last season. May have been a load of rubbish like.

You're spot on. Whelan has pictures of Ferguson in his office (I'm dead serious) and describes him as the best manager of all time. He did say something like you qouted above, which i'm surprised the papers haven't linked to martinez's "quotes".

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2009, 03:17:39 pm »
You're spot on. Whelan has pictures of Ferguson in his office (I'm dead serious) and describes him as the best manager of all time. He did say something like you qouted above, which i'm surprised the papers haven't linked to martinez's "quotes".

Oh pheew at least I wasn't making it up lol.

Pathetic isn't it. In that case I wouldn't be surprised if Whelan hasn't had a strong word with Martinez about his comments. The atrocities continue lol.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2009, 03:22:43 pm »
It could also be that he was afraid the he might be charged himself. At the end of the day, he's suggesting (if he actually said it) that managers of different clubs are ganging up on another one. That could surely be construed as bringing the game into disrepute no matter if he has a point or not.

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2009, 03:23:50 pm »
Oh pheew at least I wasn't making it up lol.

Pathetic isn't it. In that case I wouldn't be surprised if Whelan hasn't had a strong word with Martinez about his comments. The atrocities continue lol.

I think the exact quote was:

“It's a shame if we lose and a shame if we beat Utd. Mr Ferguson is the maestro”

utter twat.

edit - here's a link:

http://msn.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5321349,00.html
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:25:25 pm by The Jackal »
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2009, 03:24:05 pm »

"Dave Whelan is as potent as tuberware"

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2009, 03:39:50 pm »
I can't believe his arse has fallen out and he's taken those comments back. This reeks of the work of Dave Whelan. Looks like Rafa will have to go back to flying solo...

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2009, 04:18:01 pm »
Those comments are from an interview on 'AS'. 

Offline Bosshog

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • what a hit son.....WHAT A HIT!!!!!!!
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2009, 04:21:05 pm »
the same Allardyce who before every single united game his team has to face, he throws the towel in with quotes like "...we needed a good result today, 3 points were needed because we travel to old trafford at the weekend and lets be honest we wont get much there!!"

fat twat.....looks like jar jar binks boss outta star wars

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get!!

Homer Simpson

Offline Linton

• Kopite
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2009, 04:24:13 pm »

You can't be seruious about the pics, right? If that is the case Whelan is so gay!

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2009, 04:29:26 pm »
the same Allardyce who before every single united game his team has to face, he throws the towel in with quotes like "...we needed a good result today, 3 points were needed because we travel to old trafford at the weekend and lets be honest we wont get much there!!"

Ridiculous isn't it. I would hate to be a fan of a team with a manager like that. In fact I would hate to be a player with a manger like that! Great words of support before a big game.

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2009, 04:33:23 pm »
He's had to deny it otherwise Ferguson and his motley crew who i'd like to add Gary Megson too, would be sreaming blue murder to the FA for him being able to accuse the FA of being light on Ferguson when punishing him.

It's very clever because firstly saying it has got everyone talking about it and now denying it he can sit back and watch. Because if the FA give a small penelty to Ferguson then every media source will be saying hmmm maybe martinez had a point and if the FA do punish him properly they'll be saying well Martinez was wrong he didn't get special treatment and got a proper punishment.

I reckon Martinez must be Rafa's padawan
Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2009, 04:38:22 pm »
say ginsoak and his mates sit around in a circle in his office playing a game of soggy buiscuit!!

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2009, 04:41:32 pm »
I don't understand what the problem is, whether he said it or not is immaterial. What was written in his name is still true.

To suggest the 'band of brothers' doesn't exist would contradict factual quotations.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline FOOT

• AND MOUTH
  • Kopite
  • British media - bunch of c*nts
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2009, 04:53:07 pm »
say ginsoak and his mates sit around in a circle in his office playing a game of soggy buiscuit!!

Nice one - thanks for that image   :puke
THE TRUTH?

Lord Justice Taylor's official inquiry into the disaster disparaged The Sun's story and was unequivocal as to the disaster's cause:

The Taylor Report stated that official cause of the disaster was the failure of police control.

Offline HiTs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • In Istanbul when we won it 5 times!
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2009, 05:08:45 pm »

Spot on with some of your points there. I think the key thing with united is that word like "brand values", "commercialization" etc were never seen as negative and embraced. Every player/story was used to pull emotional strings in casual fans.

Well .... everyone doesn't need to be the same.... so happy with where we're at.....bottom line is that we just need a bloddy stadium to close the gap.....all the other stuff is great but in revenue terms its like 20m-30m more at best.

I don't wish, in any way, to underestimate how huge a club we are, but with all due respect I don't think you're right, and with further respect I think it gets harder to see the closer to Anfield you were born, grew up etc.

When I grew up in the 80's, there was only one club that filtered into my non-football watching (at that time) child's brain. Manchester Utd. I even vaguely (shameful I know) liked them when I was 5 or so. Fortunately my brother supported Liverpool because of the Beatles, my best mate supported them (before 'switching' to Man Utd when the Sky hype really started kicking in) and so I became a Liverpool supporter and never looked back - Liverpool was the first club I ever properly watched and supported, Man Utd was more just the only club who's reach went far enough for me to have heard of them in a non-football obsessed environment and no-one really watching it on TV.

Which is exactly what I mean about them being 'bigger', I can't remember it being different. A lot of it is media creation, I'm sure. A lot of it is also political, I'm equally sure - especially during the 70s and 80s. No doubt Liverpool built up a massive fanbase, and they are without any doubt the club that (almost) all European fans respect - but they're proper fans who support their clubs.

For whatever reason though, we've never had that 'glory glory' aura that surrounds United. Best was lauded as a hero, Dalglish - well, you wouldn't know he existed unless you followed football and paid at least some attention to Liverpool. Anyone really casual, anyone taking a glancing look will only really hear about Utd. Possibly also doesn't help that our player base has generally been more celtic - Liverpool mean little to 'Engurland' - Utd do, and have done for a very long time with players like Charlton, Whiteside, Styles, Robson, Beckham, now Rooney. Indeed, can you remember a modern England team that didn't have a Utd star as it's star? I certainly can't. Rooney replace Beckham replaced Scholes more or less replaced Robson - Shearer is the obvious exception I think.

Also helped by Utd's finances, certainly since the 80's, where they have generally outbid everyone for the 'cream' of the English crop.

Of course, then you add in that we never exploited the commercial side that well, though it's changing, wheras that was one thing Utd got on board with straight away - something that doesn't surprise me at all because for me they've always been about brand values.

The glory glory myth, the feting of one superstar icon that their team is built around - it also fits right in with the general xenophobic and now xenophobic and commercial prejudices of our press. We hate tactics but adore players - That Georgie Best, what a legend. Cantona, what a genius. Becks, England's lion, blah blah blah blah blah.

I don't mean to suggest it has always been this way, but in my lifetime? I've never known any different, put it that way, as an OOT and as someone who was never brought up on the game - I'm a Sky generation fan. I think you're right about the time to kind of pinpoint the change, and as with Sky that happened at EXACTLY the right time for Best to become the first real undisputed superstar footballer.Again, that led to brand recognition. I wonder how many people only even started to know about football via his exploits on and off the pitch?

Also, every set of researched figures I've seen in my life (and I can remember, say, up to 20 years with reasonable clarity) have put Utd very close in terms of 'core' support, but significantly ahead in terms of 'casual' support, and I would guess it's even more significant among people who might just watch a game 'if it's on', or who are patriotic supporters - like I support rowing in the Olympics, not a clue, but want England to win, whatever the sport. Unless it's skiing, where my Austrian half unashamedly takes over and revels in the feeling of being THE superior nation in what is undoubtedly our national sport.

Finally, just speaking subjectively, just in terms of memory, impression, talking to fans etc. I would say that Liverpool are more respected abroad, and more so the more knowledgable the fan you talk to, the more passionate a supporter, the more European in many ways. We're also hugely respected for another thing that makes us disliked by many neutrals - we, alone among English clubs, and pretty much unique in English history, actively embraced the foreign. We didn't adapt the European style, we learned it off by heart, made it better, and exported it back to Europe, and actually really built the foundations for teams like AC Milan to dominate with for the next decade - real European football fans will never forget that.

But respect isn't fame, isn't popularity. Never have I got the impression from the media, from random people, from gut feeling, that there is any truly superstar club in England except for Man Utd. They would be mentioned in the same breath as Real Madrid, we wouldn't. Euorpe isn't where the casuals are either, when the game went global, that Man Utd myth was exported at frightening speed, but I've no doubt in my mind that's because Sky saw where the brand was, who they were going to sell the most sky boxes to (and the proper fans were NEVER going to be a significant market, certainly not a growth market - the armchair fans is where it's at), and with those kinds of fans it's been all about Man Utd for as long as I can remember, perhaps particularly because of the Engurlund thing.

That myth, that brand, that patriotic association goes back well before Sky, IMO. Football never sells to casuals but stories do - myths do, and Utd exploit that power better than anyone, whether always deliberate or not, they've done it since Best and since then no-one's ever really got close.
★      ★       ★       ★       ★       ★                        ★                          ★
77     78      81      84       05      19      World Champions 2019     Premier League 2020

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2009, 05:51:16 pm »
Rumour has it that Phil Brown has just left Hull.... So much for him being better than Rafa, eh Duffen?  ;D ;D

Hope that pathetic fat twat is next.... Oh wait, he'll only leave for the Man U job, or Madrid could come knocking soon if Pelligrini doesn't improve....
deluded :wanker!!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 05:54:19 pm by tommyLFC »

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2009, 07:25:42 pm »
"They paid twice a transfer for me, I must be a unique case"
Roberto Martinez (Balaguer, 1973) is the coach of Wigan, the Premier team yesterday beat Burnley (1-3). It takes fourteen years in the islands. He arrived from Zaragoza.

Tomas Guasch | 25/10/2009 - AS.com

I wish we explain how it is managed in the Premier League club Wigan size, say lower middle class as befits a town of 90,000. How are money, for example?

Good, but with nuances. For the transfer of Valencia, Palacios and Heskey revenue 44 million pounds had been normal and reinvest most of that money on other players. But the chairman (Dave Whelan) had 66 million from his pocket and retrieved something forward. We spent less than it would have been normal. The idea is that over the next two or three years our investment will allow us to be an average club budget table. Right now our goal is obviously to permanence. The advantage here is that television is a great support for all.

Are you a manager, coach, speaking on the club's finances ... A 3 in 1, go.

Yes, that's me! What in Spain are divided between the coach, team manager and the manager here is the job of coach-manager, Rafael Benitez could give a course on this for their expertise in the Liverpool training, high, low, look at football players, treatment with agents ...

Let's return to TV.

It's like in Spain are Madrid, Barca and the rest. Here the division is fair, everyone has £ 60 million for television rights. The difference mark the greatness of the club. The United generates more revenue than the higher magnitude Wigan, but the TV charges as much as us. You always know what you get and you drive as far. United, for example, spent more than 30 million of the 94 he received for Christian, thought it was good for him now.

We take advantage.

Yes, they are at another level. And not just the Premiership, but the other three professional categories. We're talking about 92 teams, most organized. That's another story.

And Ferguson said Benitez sends as much as?

Yes, very. It takes a lifetime here and that is heavy. Now we have sanctioned for saying that a referee is not physically fit and the truth is that most of you have apologized in penalties. Another would have crushed ... Ferguson has his group of faithful among coaches: Steve Bruce, who was his own player, Sam Allardyce, he believes will be his successor at Old Trafford, and others. On the opposite side is Benitez sticks only and fall off everywhere.

Liverpool is not good.

No. accuses progress Xabi Alonso, who gave him great balance. He brought Aquilani, but has not appeared. Mascherano is forced to build and destroy and it is more difficult, of course. He has had injuries to central Carragher, Agger and Skrtel, Gerrard and Torres had minor injuries ... They lost three games, also in the Champions League, and the thing became entangled. But Rafa will pull though perhaps overly reliant on Gerrard and Ferdinand.

What about the others?

The United is the arrogant attitude, which looks at you and you passed that you will win. The best play is the most powerful Arsenal and Chelsea, although very dependent on Drogba. As the United Rooney: what happens if not fatal. Because Christian accuses downward course. There has to Valencia, which is a good player but not the same.

His team, please.

It is a mix of nationalities. I have to Rodallega Colombian, a good striker, Thomas Hondurans and Figueroa, French Kapo, will remind you of the Levant ... I brought the Ray and Diamé Antonio Amaya, who is doing spectacular. While there are big teams already have inquired about him. For Antonio it will cost more to adapt to this game live, so complicating central defenders. Swansea suit people, my former team ... We need time to assimilate all, especially the way people play.

You, playing. It takes from 95 in the islands, but has not been contaminated

For nothing. Wigan played for long, for the second move to the English. The other day we took 547 strokes, more than Chelsea or Arsenal, so! I convinced them that is the road. When we beat Chelsea (2-1) in a magnificent evening in front of the City we drew and we should have won.

Swansea was brought to Jordi Gomez, the guy from the quarry at Espanyol. You say that ends in the selection.

In two years should be there for the great class that has, by its terms. I still do not know how we could sign him. Is 23 and in his preferred position Espanyol Nakamura, who has 32. I think that Jordi is three times better and his character of a winner.

By the way. Do you really want to Tamudo in summer? Now it's more outside than inside Espanyol.

He was on a list of fichables, but it was not possible. Now? I do not know. I say yes also think it has a couple of good years ahead ...

Fourteen years since he left Zaragoza with Seba and Isidro Diaz. They were the first Spanish who took advantage of the Bosman ruling. And joined Wigan, incidentally.

It was. Whelan, who was the president, opened four stores in Spain JJB Sports, one in Zaragoza. Your organization's manager spoke with us because they thought and change the face of the club: he treated us as if we were their children. I was six years, became Seba and Isidro. Then I went to Motherwell, but six months suspended payments, which in Scotland happen very often. I went to Walshall and in a few months I transferred to Swansea where I played four years. We were champions in Second, we ascended, we opened a new stadium, I was the first foreign captain in club history ...

It lacked the big hit.

Yes: when I wanted to finish my career at Chester Swansea introduced mid season and paid 25,000 pounds for me to release the contract and become a coach. It was much comment! Have a League One team paid to one of the Two for a player to coach him, naturally, without any experience, it sounded weird. The Swansea is a Premier club and certainly all that I consider all my own. I arrived, we climbed, we played terrific one years and was the second surprise: Wigan paid 2 million pounds for me. I must be a unique case, not whether another coach on the transfer paid twice. Football ...

One day we knew that dispensing with the goalkeeper back in the Swansea ...

Because then I could only call five alternates, now seven and of course I carry a second goalkeeper. I play with two wide ends, a ram, an attacking midfielder, and needed spare parts for them. Statistics say that the goalkeeper is used once every 80 games I played and I had the support of the owner, the Dutchman De Vries, who never promised me that he would be expelled in a one against one, he, he!

Anecdotes, there will be.

An over all. We played at home to Queens Park Rangers shortly after Flavio Briatore bought it. Within 20 minutes we were injured goalkeeper double fracture sustained in the face. I put in place to center, who trained under master with Inaki Bergara. The field began to roar, to help stop ... And finished 0-0! They shot on goal the next day, the QPR fired its coach.

Whom are you inspired?

In Cruyff, Sacchi, Maturana, Rioch, the coach who preceded Wenger at Arsenal ... I want my team has the ball, send in the games, play well. I hate playing against expecting a crouching, looking at 0-0. I like my team to be brave ... and what is being.

Apologies for the translation, that's the original article from AS last weekend.
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2009, 07:41:40 pm »
Fair play to Collymore. He's on the radio right now saying Martinez is right, and while Ferguson's managerial record is excellent his legacy won't come close to Paisley etc.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?