Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2018-19  (Read 237375 times)

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2018-19
« Reply #1520 on: May 12, 2019, 10:07:09 am »
Interesting that in the end, the 71 point line proved to be a good indicator again.  It looked for a while that it wouldn't be near enough.

The rest of the big 6 all had relegation form at the end though. Such a bizarre turn of events.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1521 on: May 12, 2019, 10:22:32 am »
I think the major cracks are the lack of squad depth & that's they've been running on fumes as a result

Irregardless of squad strength, 1 to 11, their players are not as good as ours or City’s. Can they match us in a one off game if they play to their best? Maybe. But their players dont have that top level and potential that we have.

An example being Son. Good player, great numbers. He has matched Mane for numbers at times. But can he reach the sorts of levels that Mane can reach? No chance.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #1522 on: May 12, 2019, 10:25:07 am »
Irregardless of squad strength, 1 to 11, their players are not as good as ours or City’s. Can they match us in a one off game if they play to their best? Maybe. But their players dont have that top level and potential that we have.

An example being Son. Good player, great numbers. He has matched Mane for numbers at times. But can he reach the sorts of levels that Mane can reach? No chance.
I never said otherwise, but their squad depth and injuries would have contributed to their dramatic fall off.

They are not as good as us and city, but they should be comfortably third.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1523 on: May 12, 2019, 10:32:21 am »
That fork in the road look of the graph is incredible. it's as if none of the others wanted the champions league places, and were desperate to get in the Europa.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1524 on: May 12, 2019, 10:34:03 am »
Have really enjoyed this. Thanks to all you boffins who keep it going.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #1525 on: May 12, 2019, 01:51:16 pm »

Son would be my first pick from their squad if we could steal one player.  I think he'd fit us so well.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1526 on: May 12, 2019, 01:52:28 pm »
Have really enjoyed this. Thanks to all you boffins who keep it going.
Thanks for following it Roy.  Glad you find it enjoyable  :wave

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1527 on: May 12, 2019, 06:19:46 pm »

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1528 on: May 12, 2019, 06:24:34 pm »

One the red/green bars- only 1 point at home was the difference!

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #1529 on: May 12, 2019, 06:26:59 pm »
Thanks Prof for all the work - that graph shows what an amazing ride its been, whilst everyone else collectively fell off a cliff.

Onwards and upwards next season  :thumbup
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1530 on: May 12, 2019, 06:28:30 pm »
Thanks for this thread, it's been great as usual!

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1531 on: May 12, 2019, 07:17:50 pm »
Thank you for yet another APLT season! My favourite thread for sure  :)
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1532 on: May 12, 2019, 07:21:04 pm »
Thank you for yet another APLT season! My favourite thread for sure  :)
Thank you from me as well! And I'm looking forward to next year's graph to exceed +10.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #1533 on: May 12, 2019, 07:38:52 pm »
I know it sucks that the players didn't get the unquestioned trophy validation they desire, the fans don't get the massive celebrate and the organization as a whole doesn't get the league title monkey off their back.

But fuck me, 97 points is still a hell of an accomplishment. Just incredible. And more practically it should, to me anyways, render opposition taunts from Arsenal, Chelsea and United fans about lacking a PL title rather hollow. It will still sting from City fans, but logically whatever Chelsea, United and Arsenal did over 38 Premier League games that the trophy represents we matched and surpassed it. There was no season of theirs better than this. And any lack of trophy just shows the practical limitations of the 38 game league as a football test in the first place. The United and Chelsea fans will still taunt of course, but the responsive shrug is going to be stronger than ever.

Hopefully we silence any doubt, logical or not, next season.   
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1534 on: May 12, 2019, 08:41:10 pm »
Just wanted to add my gratitude for another really enjoyable thread. Thank you for all the hard work updating things Prof, and thanks to all the contributors that continue to make this one of the most readable threads on the site.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Skrtelonparole

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1535 on: May 12, 2019, 08:45:12 pm »
Brilliant thread. Thanks to all contributors - you know who you are - for a real treat across the season. See you in august again i hope!

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #1536 on: May 12, 2019, 10:09:49 pm »
As always, one of the best threads in here. I will keep this APLT as it shows how bonkers this season has been! Thanks to Prof. and all those involved, see you next year!!!
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1537 on: May 12, 2019, 10:10:04 pm »
Thanks for the comments everyone... As always, it's only worth doing when you know people enjoy following it, so thanks for all the contributions over the season.  We'll go again in August, we'll just have a few months of debating whether the model is correct and whether the 90 point assumption is still valid  ;D

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1538 on: May 12, 2019, 10:19:14 pm »
Love the thread Prof.
I think it should be a keep at 90 as that standard to win league, there are can be times when a league has two teams over 90 points however that does not seem to be norm over multiple years

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #1539 on: May 12, 2019, 10:24:58 pm »
Love the thread Prof.
I think it should be a keep at 90 as that standard to win league, there are can be times when a league has two teams over 90 points however that does not seem to be norm over multiple years
It could become the norm in the future with the way Liverpool and Abu Dhabi are going but until we have a few seasons of consistently more than 90, I'd say it should stick to 90.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1540 on: May 12, 2019, 10:53:13 pm »
Thanks for the comments everyone... As always, it's only worth doing when you know people enjoy following it, so thanks for all the contributions over the season.  We'll go again in August, we'll just have a few months of debating whether the model is correct and whether the 90 point assumption is still valid  ;D

Around 90 points looks like it is still the target for Spain, Germany, France and Italy when adjusted for 38 games. My opinion for what it's worth is wait to see what happens to City's squad this summer!

Offline Cheshire_Cat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1541 on: May 13, 2019, 09:38:08 am »
Can offer my thanks and appreciation to Prof and all of the other data contributors in this thread? It's a fascinating and enjoyable read throughout the season(s).

For what it's worth, Prof, I think the 90-point line is still valid for next season.

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1542 on: May 13, 2019, 10:24:46 am »
APLT Full Table : Matchweek 38
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1543 on: May 13, 2019, 10:25:25 am »
APLT Analysis & Extrapolations : Matchweek 38
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1544 on: May 13, 2019, 10:26:10 am »
APLT Actual + Revolving Par : Matchweek 38

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #1545 on: May 13, 2019, 10:26:47 am »
LFC Current & Projected Form : Matchweek 38

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1546 on: May 13, 2019, 11:43:45 am »
I agree. I think we should hold out 90 for one more season & then see how it pans out. On the other hand, I think it is highly likely that 1 or maybe likely 2 teams are again going to breach 90.

The question to ponder is whether they will do it comfortably as they've done this season. If it's the latter 90s for 1 or 2 teams, then I would think there could be some changes considered for the season after next.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1547 on: May 13, 2019, 11:49:17 am »
One the red/green bars- only 1 point at home was the difference!

The Leicester game was the difference maker for me looking at that. People will talk about the 11mm and the everton/united and possibly west ham games but the leicester game seems to have been the one where it crunched hardest on the APLT.

Thanks to all for this thread. An oasis of calm for a long period this season, though latterly incredibly depressing! If it is happening next year I'd vote for 95 being the aim though. Us and city aren't going anywhere.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #1548 on: May 13, 2019, 11:58:37 am »
Thing is, I can't see the graph looking much different next season. It will again be a fight between us and City. Maybe Spurs keep up better if they add squad depth and don't go so far in the CL. Maybe Ar$e improve a bit. Chelsea, it will depend on if they can buy players and replace Hazard. United, who knows but there's little reason to think they're doing anything else but a major squad rebuild.

Thanks to Prof and all the others - really enjoyed the ride, and looking forward to next season!
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1549 on: May 13, 2019, 01:42:02 pm »
Thanks Prof for all the hard work this season
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1550 on: May 13, 2019, 02:05:55 pm »
Just echoing the thanks in here Prof and contributors, such a great thread every season.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1551 on: May 13, 2019, 07:33:27 pm »
You would think that Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd might take more points from City and LFC next season bringing the title winning level closer to 90.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1552 on: May 14, 2019, 01:52:58 am »
You would think that Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd might take more points from City and LFC next season bringing the title winning level closer to 90.
Only Chelsea took any points (three) off Man City film the other top six teams.  We dropped six points to Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea.  Whether this was the timing of when they played these matches (like they played man utd just at the right time) compared to when we did (although we played man utd away at a great time but couldn't make it count) or just because they were more ruthless I can't judge.  I think we did our job perfectly this season, but too few teams were able to stop man city winning.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1553 on: May 14, 2019, 08:05:49 am »
we'll just have a few months of debating whether the model is correct

Isn't this a continuous thing ;D

and whether the 90 point assumption is still valid  ;D

With this season still fresh, it clearly isn't ;D

Thanks again Prof
@Yvanicuzz

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #1554 on: May 14, 2019, 09:32:30 am »
Brilliant again Prof. Thanks to you and all the data-influencers [emoji16] for all the hard work you do.

We can talk about 11mm or whatever but the real difference came down to a two week period where the squad was riddled with illness. That's where the wins became draws.

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1555 on: May 14, 2019, 08:35:15 pm »
Great thread thanks to all who contribute. Will be looking forward to next season as soon as our unfinished business is sorted out
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #1556 on: May 14, 2019, 09:09:57 pm »
Thanks for dedicating so much time to this every week Prof, it's one of my favourite threads on RAWK...

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #1557 on: May 14, 2019, 09:29:30 pm »
Thanks Prof, sterling work for yet another season :wellin

Offline cress

• Main Stander
« Reply #1558 on: May 14, 2019, 09:53:38 pm »
The Leicester game was the difference maker for me looking at that. People will talk about the 11mm and the everton/united and possibly west ham games but the leicester game seems to have been the one where it crunched hardest on the APLT.

Thanks to all for this thread. An oasis of calm for a long period this season, though latterly incredibly depressing! If it is happening next year I'd vote for 95 being the aim though. Us and city aren't going anywhere.
By the graph yes, but over the course of the season we took 96 points from the rest of the league and only 1/6 vs City. Had we won just one of those games we'd have been champions. Contrast that with City only taking 94 points from the rest. We essentially outperformed them against the rest of the league and our games against them were the title deciders.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #1559 on: May 15, 2019, 01:02:37 am »
Thanks prof
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of