Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850454 times)

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #11760 on: May 21, 2020, 02:00:58 pm »
The BBC have been awful in their reporting on this topic. Despite their flaws they've been a trustworthy source over the years but I've been appalled at the negative spin since the shut down. They keep doing those "Coronavirus and sport live" reports and constantly publish tweets from Evertonians (I presume) crying about the potential return of football and act as if they're representative of the general public. I think I'm done with their sports section.

I would say that BBC Sport is the problem rather than the BBC as a whole. Generally BBC News have reported things properly but the Sport pages have been mostly nonsense all season.

A lot of this is simply sensationalist journalism. Most comments they publish are negative, especially towards Liverpool yet many of the polls they conduct end up positive to us (Hendo winning POTY for example).

That sounds like they are just pushing a loud minority voice ahead of more balanced ones. The website is just like the 606 radio show no.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #11761 on: May 21, 2020, 02:06:38 pm »
Straw that broke the camel's back. I sent in a complaint informing them the quality of their coverage is awful ;D

;D

Good! 

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11762 on: May 21, 2020, 02:12:56 pm »
I would say that BBC Sport is the problem rather than the BBC as a whole. Generally BBC News have reported things properly but the Sport pages have been mostly nonsense all season.

A lot of this is simply sensationalist journalism. Most comments they publish are negative, especially towards Liverpool yet many of the polls they conduct end up positive to us (Hendo winning POTY for example).

That sounds like they are just pushing a loud minority voice ahead of more balanced ones. The website is just like the 606 radio show no.

The Manchester bias on BBC Sport is pathetic. They've Giggs' goal against Arsenal down as being the best FA Cup moment ever  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #11763 on: May 21, 2020, 02:16:38 pm »
The Manchester bias on BBC Sport is pathetic. They've Giggs' goal against Arsenal down as being the best FA Cup moment ever  :D

Dave Whelan will contacting his solicitor.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11764 on: May 21, 2020, 02:19:45 pm »
Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth will be VERY keen on getting the games played now. Brighton, West Ham and Watford probably less so. 

Watch this space.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #11765 on: May 21, 2020, 02:25:32 pm »
Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth will be VERY keen on getting the games played now. Brighton, West Ham and Watford probably less so. 

Watch this space.

The prom/rel decision only affects the 71 EFL teams. 

Prem could vote on something entirely different.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #11766 on: May 21, 2020, 02:27:26 pm »

Gerrard's last minute equalizer was a million times better. Hell, Gerrard's performance full stop in that game should be the best moment as a collective. Two glorious goals, a fucking world class assist for Cisse's goal and he converted his pen in the shootout. A performance for the ages.

Giggs' goal was great of course but every time I watch it I'm waiting for a defender to just take him out. They all made it easy for him.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11767 on: May 21, 2020, 02:27:50 pm »

I agree the BBC SPORT section is shocking. Amazing how far it has fallen as a whole since yesteryear. Now its no better than the average tabloid crap. Any negative/anti Liverpool headlines will stay up for a very long time as well.
Another thing they do which annoys me is have negative bullshit in the gossip page. So and so says so and so shouldnt go to Liverpool.
I keep meaning to bin it off but dont know where to find an alternative. I refuse to have anything to do with sky or BT and havent bought any papers since Rafas time.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #11768 on: May 21, 2020, 02:27:54 pm »

Their social media is atrocious too, it's like it's done by 12-year-olds trying to be trendy and just comes across as cringey. Appalling spelling and grammar too which I waste far too much time complaining about!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11769 on: May 21, 2020, 02:29:01 pm »
Dave Whelan will contacting his solicitor.

You mean something of importance happened to Dave Whelan during an FA Cup game? I can't believe he's kept that quiet.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11770 on: May 21, 2020, 02:30:57 pm »
You mean something of importance happened to Dave Whelan during an FA Cup game? I can't believe he's kept that quiet.

The man is humble and gracious.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11771 on: May 21, 2020, 02:32:51 pm »
EFL statement.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #11772 on: May 21, 2020, 02:43:59 pm »
EFL statement.
So Null & Void is back on the table then..........?  ;D :evil

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #11773 on: May 21, 2020, 03:01:05 pm »
I don’t get the narrative that Sky want the season cancelled. Without football sky are haemorrhaging money. It is what holds their whole business together. So wanting the cancellation of their main income stream is illogical.
Just because Gary Neville expresses an opinion it doesn’t follow that it’s the official sky line.
I’d be amazed if there wasn’t some behind the scenes pressure being put on the PL by sky to get the season restarted very soon.

I would imagine the same to be honest. Surely not in Sky's interest to have no games till August. I would imagine TV viewing figures for the first games of Project restart will be massive.

alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #11774 on: May 21, 2020, 03:02:46 pm »
Brighton confirmed they have no cases after all test returned as negative, weren't they one of the teams that said some of their players were showing symptoms or had tested positive, or did I imagine that?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #11775 on: May 21, 2020, 03:05:15 pm »
Brighton confirmed they have no cases after all test returned as negative, weren't they one of the teams that said some of their players were showing symptoms or had tested positive, or did I imagine that?

That was a few weeks ago when everything went to lockdown wasn't it?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11776 on: May 21, 2020, 03:06:14 pm »
So Null & Void is back on the table then..........?  ;D :evil

I'm reporting you to a mod ;)
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11777 on: May 21, 2020, 03:07:45 pm »

The prom/rel decision only affects the 71 EFL teams. 

Prem could vote on something entirely different.

sure, why not? despite the FA saying no.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11778 on: May 21, 2020, 03:09:27 pm »

Two of them were right at the start of lockdown and one was supposedly last week or the week before I think, although there were rumours it was from a few weeks back and had been announced later as a bargaining ploy.

Online Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11779 on: May 21, 2020, 03:11:44 pm »

In the early days when it came out Arteta had it, two Brighton players (or maybe staff?) were confirmed as having it.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online Emerald Red

• Legacy Fan
  • since 1956
« Reply #11780 on: May 21, 2020, 03:44:37 pm »
"If the season is brought to an early conclusion, using the unweighted points-per-game system proposed by the EFL eighth-placed Wycombe Wanderers would move into the play-offs at the expense of Peterborough United - another of the sides determined to carry on playing."

Unweighted system: Wycombe 3rd, Peterborough 7th.
Weighted system .... Wycombe 7th, Peterborough 5th.

Tough on Peterborough who have the best goal difference in League One (+28), Wycombe (+5).

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11781 on: May 21, 2020, 04:01:15 pm »
Dynamo Dresden have two new positive tests, despite being in lockdown. One is a player, the other a partner of an employee of the club.  Both now will go into quarantine.

And get your minds out of the gutter - no suggestion the two positives are linked  ;D

Anyway, Dresden report back to training on Saturday.

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
« Reply #11782 on: May 21, 2020, 04:14:36 pm »
I have followed football and LFC  for over 40 years and I am slightly embarrassed to admit I must have been asleep everytime Nathan Blake must have done something as I haven't the foggiest who he is or was until today - apparantly a long retired, journeyman who has somehow managed to persuade BBC Sport to big up that his view is 'The last word' on footballs return.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #11783 on: May 21, 2020, 04:15:17 pm »
If the league was voided, I'd immediately cancel my Sports subscriptions and wouldn't renew them

I'd guess I wouldn't be the only one.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11784 on: May 21, 2020, 04:17:43 pm »
Dynamo Dresden have two new positive tests, despite being in lockdown. One is a player, the other a partner of an employee of the club.  Both now will go into quarantine.

And get your minds out of the gutter - no suggestion the two positives are linked  ;D

Are whole families being tested then? Is that the same here? I thought in Germany they were staying in hotels but I assume that's not the case then?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #11785 on: May 21, 2020, 04:18:01 pm »
I have followed football and LFC  for over 40 years and I am slightly embarrassed to admit I must have been asleep everytime Nathan Blake must have done something as I haven't the foggiest who he is or was until today - apparantly a long retired, journeyman who has somehow managed to persuade BBC Sport to big up that his view is 'The last word' on footballs return.
I'm 50 - I've never heard of the bloke - and I'm not embarrassed at all - Nathan Blake should be embarrassed for being a weapon.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #11786 on: May 21, 2020, 04:32:14 pm »
Are whole families being tested then? Is that the same here? I thought in Germany they were staying in hotels but I assume that's not the case then?

Bundesliga clubs are isolated in hotels. Dynamo Dresden initially put the whole team in isolation at the behest of health authorities in Saxony. That's why their game last week against Hannover was postponed.

Online Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #11787 on: May 21, 2020, 04:32:39 pm »
I'm 50 - I've never heard of the bloke - and I'm not embarrassed at all - Nathan Blake should be embarrassed for being a weapon.
Wait, wait, is this a competition?
Well then, I'm 51 and I've never heard of Nathan Blake
:lmao

Offline apassant77

• Kopite
« Reply #11788 on: May 21, 2020, 04:37:07 pm »
Scored the winner against us for Blackburn at Anfield about 20yrs ago if my memory serves me right

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11789 on: May 21, 2020, 04:40:18 pm »
Bundesliga clubs are isolated in hotels. Dynamo Dresden initially put the whole team in isolation at the behest of health authorities in Saxony. That's why their game last week against Hannover was postponed.

That's what I thought, so why would it matter if a partner of someone at the club tested positive? Surely whoever they're the partner of is safely away in a hotel and not at risk, and have themselves tested negative? Just seems a weird one to announce.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11790 on: May 21, 2020, 04:43:39 pm »
Scored the winner against us for Blackburn at Anfield about 20yrs ago if my memory serves me right

You are just showing off now.  ;)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11791 on: May 21, 2020, 04:48:38 pm »
Wait, wait, is this a competition?
Well then, I'm 51 and I've never heard of Nathan Blake
:lmao

Well I'm 51, I've heard of him and I can confirm he was gash

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11792 on: May 21, 2020, 04:49:50 pm »
Well I'm 51, I've heard of him and I can confirm he was gash

I'm 53 and I concur
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #11793 on: May 21, 2020, 04:54:19 pm »
Notably there were zero reported incidents involving fans at any of the initial Bundesliga and 2 Bundesliga matches. Most of the club ultras stated they were averse to these games anyway. Seems like there is a bigger worry among the ultras of far-right groups/anti-lockdown protests using the Bundesliga as a platform to make protests (i.e. protesting outside of a stadium that will have media personnel there)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11794 on: May 21, 2020, 05:00:17 pm »

Tommy Docherty and Mary Brown springs to mind ;)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11795 on: May 21, 2020, 05:00:40 pm »
Jordon Ibe another idiot to add to the list of those who can't follow a simple lock-down request  ::)

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1263192771025866753?s=20

He'll be leaving Bournemouth on a free this summer too, what a signing!

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #11796 on: May 21, 2020, 05:03:56 pm »
Jordon Ibe, what a waste. I guess this is what happens when you're cup-tied for 4 long years.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Paisley79

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11797 on: May 21, 2020, 05:05:12 pm »
Jordon Ibe another idiot to add to the list of those who can't follow a simple lock-down request  ::)

Apparently, Bournemouth are releasing Ibe on July 1, reagrdless of whether the season is done by then or not!

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11798 on: May 21, 2020, 05:08:22 pm »

Actually thought he was going to be better than Sterling at one point. Fuck knows why like.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #11799 on: May 21, 2020, 05:08:40 pm »
You should all know him, he holds a Premier league record

Blake was relegated from the Premier League five times, a record he holds jointly with Hermann Hreiðarsson