Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 922912 times)

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #10800 on: June 3, 2023, 11:31:59 am »
Just a new MLS where some good players go to retire. No top player will ever play in Saudi Arabia at the height of their career.

I agree, just thinking it might be a good thing, like a reset for the game that might allow people enjoy the domestic game more on the whole.

I certainly don’t think a Saudi Super League would catch on.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10801 on: June 3, 2023, 12:48:19 pm »
Just a new MLS where some good players go to retire. No top player will ever play in Saudi Arabia at the height of their career.

This right here.  It's a retirement plan for those guys.  Nothing more.   

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10802 on: June 3, 2023, 12:49:08 pm »
This right here.  It's a retirement plan for those guys.  Nothing more.   

Yeah.  They could do with the cash.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10803 on: June 3, 2023, 06:10:24 pm »
Guess he doesn't love Barcelona if he doesn't return.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10804 on: June 3, 2023, 07:23:41 pm »
Guess he doesn't love Barcelona if he doesn't return.

Ballague reckons the Barca pursuit isn’t actually true but is Barca wanting the good  press of trying to suggest they attempted to get him back.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10805 on: June 7, 2023, 02:51:52 pm »
About to be confirmed he's joining Inter Miami, apparently.  I imagine that not being coached by Phil Neville was a major consideration in all this.  Still, good that he's not joining the rest of the players in Saudi Arabia (even if he is taking all those petrodollars from them).
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10806 on: June 7, 2023, 02:56:21 pm »
About to be confirmed he's joining Inter Miami, apparently.  I imagine that not being coached by Phil Neville was a major consideration in all this.  Still, good that he's not joining the rest of the players in Saudi Arabia (even if he is taking all those petrodollars from them).

I'm surprised at this too and it's some good news that he's not just taking the money and going to Saudi Arabia (I know he has more money than he'll ever need) after reading about the likes of Benzema and Kante and the PGA. The MLS is a decent standard as well I think. And yeah, not being coached by Phil Neville is a huge bonus.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10807 on: June 7, 2023, 03:03:22 pm »
I'm surprised at this too and it's some good news that he's not just taking the money and going to Saudi Arabia (I know he has more money than he'll ever need) after reading about the likes of Benzema and Kante and the PGA. The MLS is a decent standard as well I think. And yeah, not being coached by Phil Neville is a huge bonus.

He's taking the money option, just not the greater money option.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10808 on: June 7, 2023, 03:09:50 pm »

Well yeah, he's going to be paid handsomely, but not as handsomely as if he went to Saudi Arabia. Just trying to find a positive in all this!

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10809 on: June 7, 2023, 03:11:26 pm »

I honestly don’t think he had an offer other than Saudi or US. The Barca offer was blag, he’s not going to Newcastle and Man City don’t really do those kind of signings..

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10810 on: June 7, 2023, 03:17:04 pm »
He's already taken/is taking loads of oil money.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10811 on: June 7, 2023, 03:20:29 pm »

True, but again, I think his only offers were PSG or City, weren’t they?

If not for the existence of state owned clubs inflating wages and transfer fees, I think it seems likely Messi would have stayed at Barca his entire career. Problem is, they tried chasing after the success still with big signings and came up a cropper as is the possibility when competing with those sides.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2023, 03:22:59 pm by mikey_LFC »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10812 on: June 7, 2023, 03:20:54 pm »
Like Fatso said he's already an ambassador for Saudi anyway.

Miami is a great city to live in, has a Latin American heritage and glorious weather.  He'll end up buying a club as well too.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10813 on: June 7, 2023, 03:23:23 pm »

That's true as well and I'm not holding him up as some paragon of virtue but... I'm sorry, what was the question again?

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10814 on: June 7, 2023, 03:23:27 pm »
Like Fatso said he's already an ambassador for Saudi anyway.

Miami is a great city to live in, has a Latin American heritage and glorious weather.  He'll end up buying a club as well too.

True, there’s certainly no need to take their money outside of sport.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10815 on: June 7, 2023, 03:24:42 pm »
That's true as well and I'm not holding him up as some paragon of virtue but... I'm sorry, what was the question again?

Favourite SF2 character.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10816 on: June 7, 2023, 03:26:00 pm »
Favourite SF2 character.

:D

Chun-Li by far.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10817 on: June 7, 2023, 08:12:01 pm »
He's taking his talents to South Beach.

Interview this evening with a Barca paper:
'I made the decision that I am going to go to Miami. I still haven't closed it one hundred percent. I'm missing some things but we decided to continue the path.'

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10818 on: June 7, 2023, 09:05:34 pm »
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1666532663082258432

Inter Miami gains over a million followers on social media within 10 minutes after Messi announces decision to play with them.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10819 on: June 7, 2023, 09:10:18 pm »
Messi getting instructions and tactical advice from Phil Neville would've been a sight to see.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #10820 on: June 7, 2023, 09:13:47 pm »
It makes sense. He already has a house there and will feel right at home given the large Latin/Spanish speaking community.

Not to mention that the deal includes sponsorships from Adidas and Apple. It might just become more lucrative than what the Saudis were offering.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #10821 on: June 7, 2023, 09:14:01 pm »
I have to say this makes sense on a moral and sporting level.

He has saved Barcelona from themselves, they shouldn’t be ruining them selves to sign a 35 year old… and he’s walked away with dignity rather than selling himself to the hugest bidder.

A dignified retirement
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10822 on: June 7, 2023, 09:15:49 pm »
It makes sense. He already has a house there and will feel right at home given the large Latin/Spanish speaking community.

Not to mention that the deal includes sponsorships from Adidas and Apple. It might just become more lucrative than what the Saudis were offering.

Saudis were offering him close to a BILLION Dollars over 3 years mate.  ;D

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10823 on: June 7, 2023, 09:37:36 pm »
It's still a bit weird if you ask me. If you look at his data, he's still pretty much the best player in the world. He does everything De Bruyne does, but also scores more goals and carries the ball better. And he's going to play in the MLS, which is what? Championship level?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10824 on: June 7, 2023, 09:41:09 pm »
Saudis were offering him close to a BILLION Dollars over 3 years mate.  ;D

Yeah, but the Americans don't chop your head off if you don't play well
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #10825 on: June 7, 2023, 10:14:05 pm »
It's still a bit weird if you ask me. If you look at his data, he's still pretty much the best player in the world. He does everything De Bruyne does, but also scores more goals and carries the ball better. And he's going to play in the MLS, which is what? Championship level?
I thought the same thing. I kind of wanted to see him play in Serie A for example. Seems weird to call time on his career so early.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10826 on: June 7, 2023, 10:21:28 pm »
Barcelona president insinuating that Messi just wants to be out of the limelight now and play without pressure (and earn some fat stacks, obviously). Guess it makes sense given that he's achieved pretty much everything there is to do but it's gonna be a bit wild watching him play in the MLS to be honest. I remember watching Henry swan around there chipping goalkeepers from 40 yards and stuff.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2023, 10:24:58 pm by groove »

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10827 on: June 7, 2023, 10:29:27 pm »
Oh, well he's said it himself actually. He had an offer from another big European team but he was only interested in Barca who never made a formal offer so he's gone to America to chill out. Fair enough.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10828 on: June 7, 2023, 10:31:46 pm »
Yeah, but the Americans don't chop your head off if you don't play well
They're much more civilized. It's usually AR-15s for them.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10829 on: June 7, 2023, 10:47:08 pm »
Messi getting instructions and tactical advice from Phil Neville would've been a sight to see.

Can’t be a coincidence this was announced after Pip was sacked.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #10830 on: June 7, 2023, 11:56:13 pm »
Messi (35/36) joins Inter Miami retires from football on a massive pension but carries on playing for fun
Benzema (35) joins Al-Ittihad retires from football on a massive pension but carries on playing for fun
Suarez (36) joins Inter Miami retires from football on a massive pension but carries on playing for fun
Kante (32) joins Al Ittihad retires from football on a massive pension but carries on playing for fun
Ronaldo (38) joins Al-Nassr retires from football on a massive pension but carries on playing for fun
That's quite a big wave of big name retirements, museum football at its best
« Last Edit: June 7, 2023, 11:57:46 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10831 on: June 8, 2023, 12:02:18 am »
I have to say this makes sense on a moral and sporting level.

He has saved Barcelona from themselves, they shouldn’t be ruining them selves to sign a 35 year old… and he’s walked away with dignity rather than selling himself to the hugest bidder.

A dignified retirement

A lot closer to Argentina as well Miami compared with Saudi Arabia

Barcelona president insinuating that Messi just wants to be out of the limelight now and play without pressure (and earn some fat stacks, obviously). Guess it makes sense given that he's achieved pretty much everything there is to do but it's gonna be a bit wild watching him play in the MLS to be honest. I remember watching Henry swan around there chipping goalkeepers from 40 yards and stuff.

That's just a saving face comment for the press Barcelona can't afford to get him back because of their terrible financial mismanagement. It really is amazing how you can go from Pep's Barcelona stacked with homegrown talent they didn't need to pay transfer fees for to this.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #10832 on: June 8, 2023, 02:11:46 am »
He's probably thought after winning the WC he's accomplished all he needs to do. It would probably be too high pressure to rejoion Newells Old Boys. This way he can still play with fewer commitments and is going to a place where his family already are settled

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10833 on: June 8, 2023, 02:22:41 am »

Isn't it roughly upper League 1 to lower Championship standard?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #10834 on: June 8, 2023, 02:25:45 am »
No surprise that Tata Martino is lined up to replace Phil Neville. I'd imagine Messi will have some influence on recruitment

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #10835 on: June 8, 2023, 03:04:30 am »
No surprise that Tata Martino is lined up to replace Phil Neville. I'd imagine Messi will have some influence on recruitment

Tata knows the league, did a great job at Atlanta...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #10836 on: June 8, 2023, 09:42:01 am »
Could of gone there with an extra European cup if it wasn't for a certain corner.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #10837 on: June 8, 2023, 11:14:13 am »
Could of gone there with an extra European cup if it wasn't for a certain corner.

Spurs would have smashed them in the final

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10838 on: June 8, 2023, 12:51:38 pm »
Fair play to Messi for turning down Saudi Arabian blood money!  The latest rumour of him being offered £400m+/season by Al-Hilal must surely be exaggerated.

Inter Miami seemingly going down the aged legends route as they're also heavily linked with Di Maria, Busquets and Suarez.  All class acts but they'll need some legs around them as the MLS isn't a retirement home.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10839 on: June 8, 2023, 01:48:24 pm »
Always thought he's a bit of a cnut but will give him respect for turning down the blood soaked cash from Saudi.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?