Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1299162 times)

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
Re: VAR! Huh! What is it good for? Bit shit innit?
« Reply #11760 on: April 12, 2021, 06:44:42 pm »
They just disallowed a West Brom goal by drawing a line against the wrong player

https://twitter.com/101greatgoals/status/1381656947334782982

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #11761 on: April 12, 2021, 06:51:59 pm »
I still remember wanting to kill the lineo who did the Kemlyn side in December 2004, Newcastle break, Kluivert stood about 5 yards offside, ball goes wide, Kluivert aort of stutters his run, then sets off again, no defender ever gets goal side of him, cross comes in and he scores and its given. :no

Yet it was legal within the laws of the game then as it would be now. You wanted to kill the lino for then making the correct decision?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11762 on: April 12, 2021, 06:58:32 pm »
They just disallowed a West Brom goal by drawing a line against the wrong player

https://twitter.com/101greatgoals/status/1381656947334782982

Just said on Sky they've not given it as they couldn't draw the lines definitively using the right players, so they've went with the onfield decision. Lines or not, you can see he is onside. Fucking ridiculous.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11763 on: April 12, 2021, 07:07:27 pm »
Yet it was legal within the laws of the game then as it would be now. You wanted to kill the lino for then making the correct decision?

As far as I know the offside rule has never been changed and growing up, goals like that were always disallowed for offside. I'm not even sure Kluivert ever got back into an onside position. I wasn't the only one either, the whole of the Kemlyn were up in arms about it.

Just said on Sky they've not given it as they couldn't draw the lines definitively using the right players, so they've went with the onfield decision. Lines or not, you can see he is onside. Fucking ridiculous.

Just proves once again how shit the implemetation of VAr and the actual officiating really is.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:08:59 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #11764 on: April 12, 2021, 07:12:30 pm »
As far as I know the offside rule has never been changed and growing up, goals like that were always disallowed for offside. I'm not even sure Kluivert ever got back into an onside position. I wasn't the only one either, the whole of the Kemlyn were up in arms about it.

Kluivert was behind the ball when Bowyer passed it, so not offside.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #11765 on: April 12, 2021, 07:17:30 pm »

From memory, I think the rules changed (or were clarified, as FIFA usually puts it) before the 1994 World Cup. I remember Brazil scoring like that against Holland, and it was allowed, and they were saying it would have previously been disallowed.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11766 on: April 12, 2021, 07:18:16 pm »
Makes the one Villa got in the return game even more strange, there were loads off and I'm sure one of them contributed to the goal.

Can you narrow that down?

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11767 on: April 12, 2021, 07:21:16 pm »

Ermm.. why couldn’t they?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11768 on: April 12, 2021, 07:23:18 pm »

Evening Peter Walton.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11769 on: April 12, 2021, 07:50:47 pm »
Ermm.. why couldn’t they?

Apparently Diagne was blocking Vestegaard's foot, so the couldn't determine the right line for him, so can't overturn the decision. It's clear from the naked eye Diagne was onside.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #11770 on: April 12, 2021, 08:21:11 pm »
Christ, I thought we'd had some bad decisions, imagine if that had affected the overall result. :o
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #11771 on: April 12, 2021, 08:34:14 pm »
This is comical:

@PROreferees General Manager Howard Webb on a media call today ahead of #MLS openers.

Of the 952 goals scored in @MLS '20 just 41 went into full review.

Webb declared: ”Go and celebrate the goal.”

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11772 on: April 12, 2021, 08:42:01 pm »
That explanation just shows, if needed showing, the contempt with which Riley and his minions hold the viewing public. They actually think anyone who watches football is thick enough to believe it.  They expect people to forget that everyone watching saw them drawing the line to the wrong players foot and just listen to them saying say that they couldn’t draw an appropriate line instead.

Why if they knew it wasn’t Bartley who was offside, did they even put the line to his foot in the first place then?  Wouldn’t we have seen them at least try to draw a line before saying the player who scored was obscured...or not draw any lines at all because they didn’t know where to start?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 08:43:34 pm by Kekule »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #11773 on: April 12, 2021, 09:01:52 pm »
Is it just me but on the Jota one isn't the line drawn to Jota's head ?

Looks a foul, yeah. Thick line to the head. Got to play the advantage there because the thin line to the sleeve-pit is behind the forward camera angle at the 90 degree fulcrum of the defenders right testicle, which is dangling like a participle. You can only really see that on the big screen at Stockley Park because thats in London, but there's a time element here as well we cant show everything. It isnt perfect but its what we got.
D. Gallager

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #11774 on: April 12, 2021, 09:05:40 pm »
It's Wolves attacking  :D

Is it haha  :wellin

fine then. Onside. Same logic. at a glance. Fulham defenders foot is closest to the goal.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #11775 on: April 12, 2021, 09:07:49 pm »
You do realise that the Fulham guy is the defender?  it was the Wolves No 10 that was given offside.

Yeah, i was just , uh

Testing. yeah, thats it. Testing.

Online Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11776 on: April 12, 2021, 11:50:20 pm »
Can you narrow that down?

Villa's 4th just before half time in the 7-2 looked way off the check was very quick too. Check it out below:

This is a very good article if you have not read it already but in the first of the three video's 6 min 18 seconds in you'll see Watkins looked offside when the free kick was struck.   

https://tomkinstimes.com/2021/03/a-damning-indictment-of-english-referees-regarding-foreign-players/
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11777 on: April 13, 2021, 12:18:59 am »
It looks like he's pushing Son's hand off, then it loses grip and sort of flicks back with the momentum into his face.

Just don't see how it's enough to be a foul, and I'd be pissed if we had a goal ruled out due to Thiago doing that.

It's just fucking soft, and the rolling around after it is pathetic quite frankly, and I'd happily call any of our players out if they did the same.

Classic 50-50 all the way for me. Surely had to rest with how the ref called it in real time, either way. VAR shouldn't be anywhere near it.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11778 on: April 13, 2021, 03:26:17 am »
VAR is just not value for money. Causes more controversy than it saves. If there was a way they can use the money they're wasting on it to instead get a higher standard of refereeing. More money into at grass level, recruitment, training. It would be much better use of money. And it would have an impact on all levels of football not just the elite.

Not happening like but

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11779 on: April 13, 2021, 07:21:11 am »
It looks like he's pushing Son's hand off, then it loses grip and sort of flicks back with the momentum into his face.

Just don't see how it's enough to be a foul, and I'd be pissed if we had a goal ruled out due to Thiago doing that.

It's just fucking soft, and the rolling around after it is pathetic quite frankly, and I'd happily call any of our players out if they did the same.

Son tried to stop him by fouling him and quote reasonably McTominay tries to push him back. Wild that can be considered a foul, a few hours after a Newcastle player got kicked in the head and it wasn't deemed a foul. I don't mind inconsistency to some extent - it's quite Inevitible from the nature of the game but var brings in an element of nitpicking. To a large extent the football watching public and media are responsible for that desire to get minute decisions right but I hope they now gauge public opinion that it's gone ridiculous
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11780 on: April 13, 2021, 07:26:58 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56725509

The video assistant referee could not reverse an offside decision which cost West Brom a goal against Southampton because officials could not find a definitive camera angle.

Mbaye Diagne thought he had scored when he flicked Darnell Furlong's shot into the net - but it was flagged offside.

Replays suggested it was Kyle Bartley who was offside, rather than Diagne.

However, the VAR could not determine whether Diagne was offside, so the on-field decision remained.

The incident happened with the game evenly poised at 0-0 but the Baggies made sure the early misfortune did not damage their survival bid as they ran out comfortable 3-0 winners.

The result - thanks to goals from Matheus Pereira, Matt Phillips and Callum Robinson - means Sam Allardyce's side have recorded back-to-back league wins for the first time this season and are now eight points from safety with seven games remaining.

While Allardyce was pleased with the win, he was frustrated with the fact Diagne's strike was ruled out.

"The big disappointment was the first goal that looked like a goal and should have been a goal," he said. "I've seen all the lines and angles and I think they got that wrong. Gladly for us it hasn't had an impact on the result but it could have done.

"You hope that when it comes up next time the goal is given."

Speaking later in his post-match news conference, Allardyce was asked whether VAR is becoming a laughing stock.

"I'm afraid so," he said. "Everybody can see it was onside. We have the angle. There are at least 16 cameras here.

"The reflection on VAR can be done at the end of the season and all parties should have an influential input into how VAR goes forward.

"That needs to be from the PFA [Professional Footballers' Association], LMA [League Managers' Association], Premier League and the FA [Football Association]. There are too many of us not being given an opportunity to express how to make it better."

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl said: "Normally the offside decisions are the easiest - it is yes or no. Maybe they did not have enough cameras. I don't know. It is easy to solve."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #11781 on: April 13, 2021, 08:40:44 am »
Dermot Gallagher changes his mind on the rules and spouts bullshit at great length every week on Sky just to back up whatever abominable decisions Premier League referees make.

He was shit when he was an actual ref
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #11782 on: April 13, 2021, 08:42:57 am »
Collina has said that if a decision needs hundreds of lines drawn and is ultimately too close to call, you should stay with the on field call. Hard to disagree really.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11783 on: April 13, 2021, 08:46:02 am »
Collina has said that if a decision needs hundreds of lines drawn and is ultimately too close to call, you should stay with the on field call. Hard to disagree really.

Pretty much solves it doesn’t it, I just hope they look at this at the end of the season.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #11784 on: April 13, 2021, 08:50:35 am »
Pretty much solves it doesn’t it, I just hope they look at this at the end of the season.
Would certainly take away the complete shitshow that we seem to be seeing every match. If VAR solved clear and obvious then great, the game can move on quickly, but when it takes five minutes and its decision is still potentially wrong, it’s pointless.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #11785 on: April 13, 2021, 08:50:46 am »

Linos are told to keep their flags down nowadays though so you'll probably get more goals that look properly offside if that was the case  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #11786 on: April 13, 2021, 08:52:56 am »
Linos are told to keep their flags down nowadays though so you'll probably get more goals that look properly offside if that was the case  ;D
That’s true, although that Dortmund goal at City shows that officials still don’t know the rules about letting the game flow.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11787 on: April 13, 2021, 08:54:22 am »
Still can't believe no one has mentioned Everton's goal against Palace. Unless the rules have changed without me knowing Calvert Lewin is clearly offside when Sigurdsson takes the shot and then Calvert Lewin attempts to play the ball after the keeper saves it. As clear an offside as you'll see all season but no check from the VAR. Honestly it's the worse decision all year. Just a complete lack of knowledge of the rules.

Goal is a minute in to this video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Rd5g8Yr6r5Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Rd5g8Yr6r5Y</a>
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:02:23 am by FlashGordon »
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11788 on: April 13, 2021, 09:06:08 am »

They're only told to keep their flags down whilst an attack plays out. They still raise it after the goal is scored if they think there is an offside.

"That needs to be from the PFA [Professional Footballers' Association], LMA [League Managers' Association], Premier League and the FA [Football Association]. There are too many of us not being given an opportunity to express how to make it better."

And you know.. fans?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #11789 on: April 13, 2021, 09:07:37 am »
Still can't believe no one has mentioned Everton's goal against Palace. Unless the rules have changed without me knowing Calvert Lewin is clearly offside when Sigurdsson takes the shot and then Calvert Lewin attempts to play the ball after the keeper saves it. As clear an offside as you'll see all season but no check from the VAR. Honestly it's the worse decision all year. Just a complete lack of knowledge of the rules.

Goal is a minute in to this video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Rd5g8Yr6r5Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Rd5g8Yr6r5Y</a>
Yeah that was a shocker. Up there with the foul on Divock at the theatre.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #11790 on: April 13, 2021, 09:15:11 am »
Why do we not have foreign refs? Is it in the rules?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11791 on: April 13, 2021, 09:20:17 am »
They're only told to keep their flags down whilst an attack plays out. They still raise it after the goal is scored if they think there is an offside.

And you know.. fans?

Ah yes, forgot they had that option. I'd be ok with that I think, although would be they be a bit more cautious in putting up the flag after a goal is scored?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11792 on: April 13, 2021, 09:20:49 am »
Yeah that was a shocker. Up there with the foul on Divock at the theatre.

Never mentioned by the comms either, I thought I was tripping.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #11793 on: April 13, 2021, 09:29:00 am »

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl said: "Normally the offside decisions are the easiest - it is yes or no."

Ralph clearly needs to watch back some of our games ;D

This sounds good in theory although the West Brom goal last night still would have been disallowed because of their stupidity.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11794 on: April 13, 2021, 09:29:54 am »
Yep

VAR was brought in i thought to stop obvious errors. Not this 1mm buinsess that the technology margin for error is much greater.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #11795 on: April 13, 2021, 09:31:37 am »
Even Garth Crooks thought the Jota decision was the worst decision he has seen all weekend.  What he says about the lines is the exact same thing I saw and made reference to in one of the threads on Saturday

The Crooks of the Matter:This really can't go on. VAR is turning the game into a farce. This weekend we had a number of extraordinary moments involving contentious offside decisions determined by VAR at Craven Cottage, Anfield, the London Stadium and the Hawthorns, leaving players, pundits and managers completely confused. The worst decision of all had to be the disallowed goal at Liverpool when Diogo Jota was judged to have been offside when VAR, at least to the naked eye, seemed to indicate otherwise.

I sat in the Final Score studio and watched the yellow and red lines of this super-duper technology appear on my screen explaining how the officials operating VAR had come to their conclusions. I was convinced we were all seeing the same lines on the screen showing Jota was definitely onside, only to be told otherwise by VAR moments later.

So what are officials privy to at Stockley Park that the viewers are not? And, more to the point, shouldn't we be? If you are going to show pictures on a public screen shouldn't they be compatible with the decision given at Stockley Park?
The whole point of VAR is to provide conclusive evidence that the decision made is right. No equivocation, no dispute. What we are getting is confusion and doubt. What is also clear is that the technology in some cases is struggling, as demonstrated by West Brom's disallowed goal in the first half against Southampton. The Premier League is the best league in the world and not the place to be conducting what has become a pilot scheme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56722452

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:34:16 am by MacAloolah »
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #11796 on: April 13, 2021, 09:36:12 am »
Crooks can talk some absolute shite at times but he’s spot on there. What is there to hide?

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11797 on: April 13, 2021, 09:43:40 am »
You know things are fucking bad when Garth Crooks is making sense.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11798 on: April 13, 2021, 09:44:46 am »
Crooks can talk some absolute shite at times but he’s spot on there. What is there to hide?
When I started reading your post I thought you were referring to PGMOL giving some explanation :)

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #11799 on: April 13, 2021, 11:23:10 am »
When I started reading your post I thought you were referring to PGMOL giving some explanation :)
Can't be. Those crooks ALWAYS talk absolute shite
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D