Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 774456 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez
« Reply #3520 on: January 11, 2020, 08:25:53 pm »
I was going to ask others but didn't think right after this game was a good timing. But I have the perception that Gomez has lost some speed. He used to be faster than van Dijk, which says a lot, but now I don't think that's the case anymore. There were several situations in the last couple of games when I thought he'd be faster to intercept a ball, or chase an attacker, but he missed that fraction of a second... May be just tiredness, he's had to play a lot recently.

I don't think he has lost speed overall at all. I can't remember which game, it was at Anfield where he gave the player a ten yards start yet he still managed to out run him and put a block in.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3521 on: January 11, 2020, 08:36:29 pm »
His clean sheet record with V.Dijk is absolutely insane.

On the surface this partnership doesn't do much differently to the other two but they just go on keeping clean sheets for fun. It was like that last season and it is now again after Joe got back. I think it's 7 in a row with VVD.

I love Matip a lot but there is a very clear best CB partnership in the club right now, no need to tinker with it at all anymore.
The clean sheet record is more down to Alisson lately than anything the defence are doing. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3522 on: January 11, 2020, 08:37:44 pm »
Not like the keeper and defence are a unit. Nah can't be.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #3523 on: January 11, 2020, 08:41:32 pm »
Wasn't his best game today, but the guy is still incredibly young and he's learning with the best defender in the world.  Between VVD, Gomez and Matip, just WOW

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3524 on: January 11, 2020, 08:45:27 pm »
The clean sheet record is more down to Alisson lately than anything the defence are doing.

I don't agree it's a unit and both CB's have more than contributed, Alisson has had his moments too.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3525 on: January 11, 2020, 08:47:19 pm »
He played fine. He was a little sloppy as a few were towards the end, but we really don’t need to micro analyse just to try and find something to criticise. It’d be nice to get away from this idea that it’s either amazing or shit.

Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #3526 on: January 11, 2020, 08:50:27 pm »
Whatever it is when you look between our 3 CB partnerships for some reason V.Dijk and Gomez are always more likely to come away with a clean sheet compared to the other two pairs. It was the case last season as well - the only time they struggled a bit in that sense was at the start of this season but now they got their groove again.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #3527 on: January 11, 2020, 08:50:31 pm »
He had good parts and bad parts today but overall he was fine. He continually stepped past their attackers into space and brought the ball forward.
#JFT97

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3528 on: January 11, 2020, 08:54:25 pm »

This was the first game in a while where you could argue that Alisson was one of our better players, the defence was making his job very easy lately.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3529 on: January 11, 2020, 08:56:33 pm »

Wha? He’s playing very well but it’s not like we’re giving away loads of great chances that the keeper has saved.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3530 on: January 11, 2020, 09:21:06 pm »
He only seems to like Lovren so hates all the other CB’s as they are “rivals” it’s a bit weird.
Where have I criticised Gomez?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3531 on: January 11, 2020, 09:21:18 pm »

Can't believe you don't give Gomez more Lovren Love.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3532 on: January 11, 2020, 09:22:00 pm »
When even Al knows you're a weird one mate the games up.  ;D

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3533 on: January 11, 2020, 09:28:27 pm »
Can't believe you don't give Gomez more Lovren Love.
I’m praising Alisson, isn’t that allowed? I haven’t criticised Gomez anywhere unless I’ve missed something.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3534 on: January 11, 2020, 09:28:38 pm »
When even Al knows you're a weird one mate the games up.  ;D

As backhanded compliments go that is a belter  ;D ;D

Though I prefer to think of myself as odd Al and not even Al.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #3535 on: January 11, 2020, 09:38:42 pm »
Since the start of last season V.Dijk and Gomez :

16 PL games 11 clean sheets , 5 goals conceded   :lmao :lmao

They make Ferdinand and Vidic look like Mustafi and Sokratis.

EDIT : All comps - 20 games 13 clean sheets, 8 goals conceded.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:51:17 pm by SerbianScouser »

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #3536 on: January 11, 2020, 09:45:46 pm »

:lickin :lickin

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3537 on: January 11, 2020, 09:47:18 pm »
I’m praising Alisson, isn’t that allowed? I haven’t criticised Gomez anywhere unless I’ve missed something.

Not in a game when Alisson made purely routine saves.

We have gone from being unable to keep a clean sheet to unable to concede a goal since Gomez came back in to the side. Prior to Gomez coming in to the side we were on our worst run of failing to keep a clean sheet since 1998.

Since then we have been unbelievably good. The last time we were this good was last season before Gomez got injured. They suit each other.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3538 on: January 11, 2020, 10:12:57 pm »

Nothing wrong with praising Alisson, but maybe better in the Alisson thread?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3539 on: January 11, 2020, 10:16:23 pm »
Nothing wrong with praising Alisson, but maybe better in the Alisson thread?
Sorry, didn’t know we couldn’t mention Alisson in here.

I don't agree it's a unit and both CB's have more than contributed, Alisson has had his moments too.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3540 on: January 11, 2020, 10:43:54 pm »

EDIT : All comps - 20 games 13 clean sheets, 8 goals conceded.

Henderson or Gini was the 6 instead of Fabinho for all them games, so using your lazy narrative are you saying that we are better defending without Fabinho in the team. Its nonsense and just confirmation bias by liverpool fans to try and prove why they prefer one player over another. The facts are our defense doesnt skip a beat whoever plays alongside VVD and the same can be said for Fabinho or even when Alisson was out for 2 months. Klopp has created a machine with the strength being the collective rather than the individual parts and whoever Klopp selects is more than capable of performing at a high level.   

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3541 on: January 11, 2020, 10:45:16 pm »
Some of the current criticism reminds me of massive overreactions earlier in the season whenever somebody went past Trent. Compare that to when Virgil fucks up and we just wave it away like nothing happened. Defenders are going to make mistakes from time to time. That's why it is a team sport. Yes, Joe had a few iffy moments tonight but that can happen to anybody. No need to go overboard with the criticism.

Having said that, I do wonder if, personality-wise, he is the sort who gets nervous or worried when there is competition lurking in the background, breathing down his neck sort of thing. In Klopp's post-match interview with LFCTV he seemed super excited that Joel was coming back into training. Just wondering what effect that can have on a player who hasn't solidified his ownership of the shirt as yet.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3542 on: January 11, 2020, 11:03:50 pm »
Some of the current criticism reminds me of massive overreactions earlier in the season whenever somebody went past Trent. Compare that to when Virgil fucks up and we just wave it away like nothing happened. Defenders are going to make mistakes from time to time. That's why it is a team sport. Yes, Joe had a few iffy moments tonight but that can happen to anybody. No need to go overboard with the criticism.

Having said that, I do wonder if, personality-wise, he is the sort who gets nervous or worried when there is competition lurking in the background, breathing down his neck sort of thing. In Klopp's post-match interview with LFCTV he seemed super excited that Joel was coming back into training. Just wondering what effect that can have on a player who hasn't solidified his ownership of the shirt as yet.

I would be surprised if that was the case, just think the team didn't have the proper rhythm today. We seem to play better when we have to play twice a week, Klopp himself mentioned that after the game. I don't think there is a problem as such, most players know competition is part of the deal at a club like this.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #3543 on: January 11, 2020, 11:04:45 pm »
Some of the current criticism reminds me of massive overreactions earlier in the season whenever somebody went past Trent.
Criticizing Gomez for not being perfect in all of situations while defending big open spaces against top players like Lucas and Son - all the while keeping a clean sheet - is absolute bat shit insanity. Benefits of being prisoner of the moment I guess.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3544 on: January 11, 2020, 11:05:35 pm »
He is a brilliant young centre back but his positional play needs to improve - loses the flight of the ball too often and doesn't win enough aerial duels for me. Seems like a great lad with a good mentality am sure he will learn from today.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3545 on: January 12, 2020, 12:04:22 am »
As a fan base we’ve become spoilt watching VVD every week, the centre back who has everything. Gomez is class. Yes he might lack a little bit in the air and be a bit naive at times positionally but there are very few centre backs over time who are the absolute complete package. He isn’t VVD but he’s a bloody good defender.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3546 on: January 12, 2020, 12:06:00 am »
He is a brilliant young centre back but his positional play needs to improve - loses the flight of the ball too often and doesn't win enough aerial duels for me. Seems like a great lad with a good mentality am sure he will learn from today.

It was difficult today with the wind so he could be given a wider berth for that one.

As for Son’s chance you couldn’t really blame him and there was a 2 on 1 situation and he is caught between marking 2 players. He had to drop deeper to buy himself some time and I thought Son panicked because he saw Gomez was racing back to cover

His pace was really useful in that situation.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3547 on: January 12, 2020, 01:05:28 am »
Criticizing Gomez for not being perfect in all of situations while defending big open spaces against top players like Lucas and Son - all the while keeping a clean sheet - is absolute bat shit insanity. Benefits of being prisoner of the moment I guess.

He's performed so well in the games since the Watford match, close to flawless really, but must we do do this thing where we pretend things didn't happen? Has anyone even said he was awful or anything?

Gomez and the positions he chose had a big part to play in their three best chances today. The best of which (and worst defended) was Lo Celso's when he wasn't defending a big open space, instead around 12-15 yards with plenty of time to prepare for a cross from wide. Lo Celso easily lost Gomez and then Gomez lost the ball entirely (similar to mistakes in the Watford game).

It's not sacrilege to spot this, so long as noones a reactionary knobhead about it - and it's fair to say Klopp was concerned by it. He seemed hugely pissed off given how long he spent furiously telling him off

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3548 on: January 12, 2020, 01:12:48 am »
Two players lifted off the ground this season, just over halfway through.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3549 on: January 12, 2020, 01:12:53 am »
I'd be looking at how he got through a difficult game, where nothing was going right for him really, and how getting through that is a massive positive for a 22 year old CB who is playing for the World and European champions
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3550 on: January 12, 2020, 01:24:28 am »
Like the rest of them today he has massive areas in which he can improve.

I think we should stop making snap judgements, reflect, watch the video and then look to improve.

Then when we improve. The the main things we should look at our the things we did wrong.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3551 on: January 12, 2020, 01:39:22 am »
Like the rest of them today he has massive areas in which he can improve.

I think we should stop making snap judgements, reflect, watch the video and then look to improve.

Then when we improve. The the main things we should look at our the things we did wrong.

Do you think Klopp isn't doing this?

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3552 on: January 12, 2020, 01:52:49 am »
Do you think Klopp isn't doing this?

I am not sure.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3553 on: January 12, 2020, 05:27:10 am »
I still think he's the best partner for Big Virgil. Another clean sheet for him.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3554 on: January 12, 2020, 05:53:21 am »
Still think Matip is the best partner for Virgil. Gomez is still young and can improve, his heading needs to be better than it is currently. He has everything else, but imo Matip and Van Dijk are also a bigger threat together on set pieces

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3555 on: January 12, 2020, 06:44:49 am »
Still think Matip is the best partner for Virgil. Gomez is still young and can improve, his heading needs to be better than it is currently. He has everything else, but imo Matip and Van Dijk are also a bigger threat together on set pieces

Matip is better at heading and reading the game as Gomez is young but Gomez pace is massive as it allows Trent and Robbo to be comfortable because we have two rapid Centre Backs.

Lets just be thankful we have 3 top class CB's at the club and Gomez will only get better, hes very young for a CB still. Hes been immense and may have had a shaky game today but thats why you have VVD and Alisson there as well to help with any mistakes.

Gomez played amazing in the derby FA Cup with no VVD to support and guiding a bunch of youngsters around him. Look at that game see what this kid is going to be capable of when he reaches his peak, mistakes happen and its how you bounce back and learn from them that matters.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3556 on: January 12, 2020, 09:30:14 am »
When did we last concede a goal with Gomez in the team. You don't change what's working. Matip will need to wait for his chance.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #3557 on: January 12, 2020, 09:31:38 am »
When did we last concede a goal with Gomez in the team. You don't change what's working. Matip will need to wait for his chance.

I agree! Why put Matip in when we’re keeping clean sheets the way it is

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #3558 on: January 12, 2020, 09:36:35 am »
Gomez and the positions he chose had a big part to play in their three best chances today.
That is the small picture yes.

The big picture is that Gomez with VVD conceded 8 goals in 20 games with this kind of sketchy moments being ever so rare. It's an exception to the rule. Nobody in their right mind should be expecting perfect defending against a team that wants to counter attack for 90 mins with two of the most skillful and fastest players in the league. Having a few dodgy moments in this kind of circumstance should be a given.

Nitpicking aside there's more than enough evidence to suggest this partnership truly is a real deal.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #3559 on: January 12, 2020, 10:18:42 am »
I am not sure.

Read the James Pearce piece on Pep, in the Athletic then, Al. It was a bad day at the office for a few yesterday including our two full backs, yet we won 1-0. Virgil spoke after the game about analysing areas for improvement. Do you think they do that by playing charades?

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same