Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2746725 times)

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
Re: The NFL Thread...
« Reply #40 on: August 8, 2005, 05:35:39 pm »
Yes, that was the Dolphins that beat the Patriots last season.

"coming out the woodwork"? Yes, we're just gloryhunters jumping on the bandwagon after all their recent success.

Oh don't get me wrong, the dolphins are a pathetic team and they play in girly teal uniforms and have a dolphin on there helmet, I was just merely commenting on the fact that there are so many Dolphins fans on here, I'm sorry to hear that... ;D

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #41 on: August 8, 2005, 05:50:11 pm »
Miami does have a hell of a following though. In 2003 I went to see Miami play the Giants at nearby Giants Stadium and the place was crawling with Dolphin fans. They still can't compare though to the following the Dallas Cowboys have (when they're winning of course). They're easily the most popular NFL team in the world with sales of merchandise through the roof. I hate them but they're a very innovative franchise who were marketed the right way in those earlier years.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 8, 2005, 05:57:43 pm »
Miami does have a hell of a following though. In 2003 I went to see Miami play the Giants at nearby Giants Stadium and the place was crawling with Dolphin fans. They still can't compare though to the following the Dallas Cowboys have (when they're winning of course). They're easily the most popular NFL team in the world with sales of merchandise through the roof. I hate them but they're a very innovative franchise who were marketed the right way in those earlier years.

Yea, those bastards, Dallas is definitely Americas team... gotta say, I'm only a young'n but the old footage of Staubach, he was awesome...

Not better than Starr though.... ;D

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 8, 2005, 06:07:24 pm »
You're partial to Starr because he was a Packer! I wouldn't put him in my top 10 qb's. He had limited skills, abilities etc but certainly got the job done. Would not get a starting job today  .  .  no way. He somehow got their head coaching job and miraculously lasted about 9 seasons without accomplishing a thing! You can look it up.

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 8, 2005, 06:28:21 pm »
I'm also a Dolphins fan and i have to say even tho Saban is in I don't see us winning many divisional games with he Pats, Jets and even Buffalo lookin alright. That's because our QB's are average and the OL is very suspect at best, but with some new players coming in hopefully that'll improve.  Alsoi would have rather see Madison go instead of Surtain but i guess the interest wasn't there for him.  Waiting for the MNF game.

Offline Dug

• Graham Norton's favourite rent boy
  • Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
    • Reds-in-america.com
« Reply #45 on: August 8, 2005, 06:47:28 pm »
Think we'll see the West Coast teams shine this year. Pats can't possibly sustain their momentum (mind you, we said that last year, but who could rule them out again), Eagles without TO will go belly up despite McNabbs throwing and running game leaving the NFC wide open.
If / when Andy Reid leaves the Eagles put your mortgage / life savings on the team he goes to, to win the Superbowl within 2 years.
 ;)

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 8, 2005, 06:54:10 pm »
Yes, that was the Dolphins that beat the Patriots last season.

"coming out the woodwork"? Yes, we're just gloryhunters jumping on the bandwagon after all their recent success.

Agreed matie. Dolphins were awful last season. Woe betide us for posting on the new nfl thread.

Offline Ghazi

• Kopite
  • Chicago Mojo
« Reply #47 on: August 8, 2005, 07:10:47 pm »
Shit - am i the only Bears fan on here??  ;D  I lived in Indy recently and had Colts' season tix for two years. . . 2nd greatest show on turf.

alright boyz. . .who's picking up their Xbox or PS2 Madden 06 tonight at midnight? :wave
ooooooooohhh. . .the pedigree of that shot!. . . .

Offline Dug

• Graham Norton's favourite rent boy
  • Main Stander
    • Reds-in-america.com
« Reply #48 on: August 8, 2005, 07:23:14 pm »
Shit - am i the only Bears fan on here??  ;D  I lived in Indy recently and had Colts' season tix for two years. . . 2nd greatest show on turf.

Turf ;)

Must have superb to see Manning. Anyone (in the states?) see those visa ads he did on telly after they went out of the playoff's ?
Hilarious.

Offline Big Ig

• His is totally non-existent, you know?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: August 8, 2005, 07:30:38 pm »
Anyone remember 'Touchdown' magazine? As I recall edited by a bloke called Ken Thomas who was generally regarded as Britain's NFL know-all.

There was a First Down newspapery type thing, and I think a 'Quarterback' magazine too, although this may well have been touchdown.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 8, 2005, 09:16:12 pm »
You're partial to Starr because he was a Packer! I wouldn't put him in my top 10 qb's. He had limited skills, abilities etc but certainly got the job done. Would not get a starting job today  .  .  no way. He somehow got their head coaching job and miraculously lasted about 9 seasons without accomplishing a thing! You can look it up.

haha I'm well aware, did you know Bart was a bit of a coke head as well?  Technically, you're right, he definitely wasn't the most skilled, but he had a knack for winning...

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 8, 2005, 09:17:22 pm »

alright boyz. . .who's picking up their Xbox or PS2 Madden 06 tonight at midnight? :wave

I'm sorry you're a bears fan... I wonder if Rex can do the job this year, regardless, I love playing the Bears especially with Favre at the helm, for some reason he just eats them alive more often than not... 

And yes, Madden will be in my possession at Midnight hopefully... ;D

Offline kopkev

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52 on: August 8, 2005, 09:20:23 pm »
" hail to the redskins" ;D

Offline Ghazi

• Kopite
  • Chicago Mojo
« Reply #53 on: August 8, 2005, 10:08:14 pm »
I'm sorry you're a bears fan... I wonder if Rex can do the job this year, regardless, I love playing the Bears especially with Favre at the helm, for some reason he just eats them alive more often than not... 

And yes, Madden will be in my possession at Midnight hopefully... ;D

Favre is a legend. As much as i despise the Pack, i love Brett. I'll have to head to GB this year and catch a game before he retires.

I love Rex - i ratedhigher than most Qb's in his draft class - what he lacks in size he makes up for in his release and his calm under pressure. Unfortunate that his injury has really stemmed his progress. Nevertheless, i think he'll be solid in the second half of the year.

. . now Harrington in Detroit. . man, if that fool can't win with his weapons, then he should be banished. :)

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: August 8, 2005, 10:20:21 pm »
haha I'm well aware, did you know Bart was a bit of a coke head as well?  Technically, you're right, he definitely wasn't the most skilled, but he had a knack for winning...
I've never heard anything about Bart Starr having a drug problem. His son however died of a drug overdose many years ago.

Offline Brigor Cheyaore

• Kopite
  • The Next Pires!
« Reply #55 on: August 8, 2005, 11:52:57 pm »
please, that strawberry and wine quarterback will lose his starting job this year...he's that bad, he has all the tools on offense now to do something and he won't because he is garbage...
This should be the first year he has a decent running game and good wide recievers who can stay healthy.
As for that strawberry and wine nonsense, please....Siragusa is a fat stupid greasy fuck.  Joey is not.  Poor form to knock a guy for being sophisticated, isn't it?

(unless that was just banter, and if that's the case, stick a fork in old man Brett, cause he's done.)
RAWK Fantasy Baseball 2006 Champion!

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 9, 2005, 12:20:55 am »
This should be the first year he has a decent running game and good wide recievers who can stay healthy.
As for that strawberry and wine nonsense, please....Siragusa is a fat stupid greasy fuck.  Joey is not.  Poor form to knock a guy for being sophisticated, isn't it?

(unless that was just banter, and if that's the case, stick a fork in old man Brett, cause he's done.)

well it was just banter... ;D and its not the sophistication that I'm knocking because that's rare these days, it's the fact that he's too soft, he needs to toughen up....

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 9, 2005, 12:25:50 am »
I've never heard anything about Bart Starr having a drug problem. His son however died of a drug overdose many years ago.

ALPH I apologize, i mistyped, you're right, I meant his son...

Favre is a legend. As much as i despise the Pack, i love Brett. I'll have to head to GB this year and catch a game before he retires.

I love Rex - i ratedhigher than most Qb's in his draft class - what he lacks in size he makes up for in his release and his calm under pressure. Unfortunate that his injury has really stemmed his progress. Nevertheless, i think he'll be solid in the second half of the year.

. . now Harrington in Detroit. . man, if that fool can't win with his weapons, then he should be banished. :)

You're right about Rex...

If you've never been to Green Bay for a game, you're missing out, probably one of the best sports stadiums in the United States and one of the best atmospheres, especially after the remodelling which they did a superb job on and should be a blueprint for all old stadium renovations... They know what they are doing up there... 

I make an annual trip out to Lambeau from NY, 16hr car ride  ;D

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #58 on: August 9, 2005, 04:05:21 am »
Just for the sake of excitement, I'd keep an eye on the Falcons and Vick mate. 

It will be interesting to see how the Pats will do this year. The Running Back is getting a bit old too - I haven't seem many at his age who can still keep on going like he did last year. 27-29 is probably the age when the peak. afte rthat, any hit, any sprint, necomes a bit harder.

Romeo Crennel may deploy the same type of style with Browns too (I saw some ole timers there mentioning them - better believe son, they will be decent this year.  IT will b elike Houllier in his first few years at Liverpool). 

But I would not bat my eyes when the Jets are on - Pennington's best season may yet be this one, what with the Jets re-inforcing and all.

Don't think the Eagles will go the distance this year.

Manning: I treat the bitch like Se7en Up; never have never will.

A lot of talk about the Redskins too up there - that QB from Auburn is one of the finest QB's I had seen at college level last season. He may come very good; I was just surprised and pissed off at seeing lame ducks starting at QB for them last season.

As for College football - that is going to be very interesting too.  Look out for lesser 'darlings' (known names) like that QB at Texas A&M :Reggie McNeal - in a division that has a phenomenal Vince Young too. 

Yep, you heard it first here - Reggie McNeal.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: August 9, 2005, 04:11:50 am »
Just for the sake of excitement, I'd keep an eye on the Falcons and Vick mate. 

It will be interesting to see how the Pats will do this year. The Running Back is getting a bit old too - I haven't seem many at his age who can still keep on going like he did last year. 27-29 is probably the age when the peak. afte rthat, any hit, any sprint, necomes a bit harder.

Romeo Crennel may deploy the same type of style with Browns too (I saw some ole timers there mentioning them - better believe son, they will be decent this year.  IT will b elike Houllier in his first few years at Liverpool). 

But I would not bat my eyes when the Jets are on - Pennington's best season may yet be this one, what with the Jets re-inforcing and all.

Don't think the Eagles will go the distance this year.

Manning: I treat the bitch like Se7en Up; never have never will.

A lot of talk about the Redskins too up there - that QB from Auburn is one of the finest QB's I had seen at college level last season. He may come very good; I was just surprised and pissed off at seeing lame ducks starting at QB for them last season.

As for College football - that is going to be very interesting too.  Look out for lesser 'darlings' (known names) like that QB at Texas A&M :Reggie McNeal - in a division that has a phenomenal Vince Young too. 

Yep, you heard it first here - Reggie McNeal.

I think the Ty Law is a big pick up for the Jets...

oh and Vinay, you're not the only one about Reggie Mcneeal...one of my buddies from the Army was an Aggie, been drummin McNeal up for a while now...

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: August 9, 2005, 08:13:45 am »
Would anyone be interested in joining an American Football coaching play by mail game?

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: August 9, 2005, 03:40:20 pm »
I think the Ty Law is a big pick up for the Jets...

oh and Vinay, you're not the only one about Reggie Mcneeal...one of my buddies from the Army was an Aggie, been drummin McNeal up for a while now...

Thanks... Excellent, Reggie is known then. 

Yes, better believe in the Jets man.  You may have to forget about the arduous 16 hr drive soon.... :wave

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2005, 01:31:21 am »

You may have to forget about the arduous 16 hr drive soon.... :wave

Nonsense!

well maybe, but it'll be a 8 hr drive to Canton....

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2005, 05:15:09 am »
Nonsense!

just for that i'm gonna cheer for giants against the jets, think snagged myself couple tickets for it so pretty pleased, after the headlines from their practice it should be good game.

fins ol was shockin yesterday, and ricky was talkin some amount of shite but should be interesting to see how he fairs this year before he's thrown out next summer!
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2005, 05:44:42 am »
just for that i'm gonna cheer for giants against the jets, think snagged myself couple tickets for it so pretty pleased, after the headlines from their practice it should be good game.

fins ol was shockin yesterday, and ricky was talkin some amount of shite but should be interesting to see how he fairs this year before he's thrown out next summer!

nice, that should be a good time...

still trying to figure out what Packer game I'm going to go to this year....

Offline John10

• Kemlynite
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2005, 08:07:51 am »
Oh don't get me wrong, the dolphins are a pathetic team and they play in girly teal uniforms and have a dolphin on there helmet, I was just merely commenting on the fact that there are so many Dolphins fans on here, I'm sorry to hear that... ;D

OK, well thats alright. lol.

Not expecting much from the Dolphins this year. At least they will have a good RB this year (Brown, not Ricky). Thats about it. Boston and Brooker??? And that QB situation is worrying.

Wonder how long till we can get something for Ricky.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."
- Bill Shankly

Offline Ghazi

• Kopite
  • Chicago Mojo
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2005, 05:33:33 pm »
Finally picked up my copy of Madden. First game i played on default difficulty and tore the Patriots up 58-7 with the Bears. Benson ran for 265. lmao. . . i think its time to adjust the difficulty level.

Anyone impressed with this year's installment? I think its better than before, but i turned off the new QB vision feature. It was awful and annoying.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2005, 05:54:33 pm »
Finally picked up my copy of Madden. First game i played on default difficulty and tore the Patriots up 58-7 with the Bears. Benson ran for 265. lmao. . . i think its time to adjust the difficulty level.

Anyone impressed with this year's installment? I think its better than before, but i turned off the new QB vision feature. It was awful and annoying.

no way, i love the new qb vision thing, makes it better....more control and no more bullshit of vick rolling out right and throwing 50yds down the field to the left....

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2005, 12:21:14 pm »
Packers V Chargers tonite on ESPN for you stateside reds....

Check out Lambeau, its a beauty...

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2005, 01:37:01 pm »
I love Brett Favre

He looks like a fucking Aussie in that Canary Yellow get up.

Offline Another-kop-hero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2005, 01:50:06 pm »
Used to watch it a few years ago then got right in to it again the other year was a bit of a Oakland Raiders fan was the time the got to the Superbowl against the buccaneers i think and ended up getting beat  ;D but it kinda died after as when the season started there wasn't much coverage watched a bit of the SuperBowl last year but didn't see a right lot of it but from what i understand the Raiders have gone right down the shitter but think I'm goner start getting in to it a bit more would ask for an update but from the last time i watched it it would be more like an epic ;D

Offline Ghazi

• Kopite
  • Chicago Mojo
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2005, 05:14:11 pm »
Used to watch it a few years ago then got right in to it again the other year was a bit of a Oakland Raiders fan was the time the got to the Superbowl against the buccaneers i think and ended up getting beat  ;D but it kinda died after as when the season started there wasn't much coverage watched a bit of the SuperBowl last year but didn't see a right lot of it but from what i understand the Raiders have gone right down the shitter but think I'm goner start getting in to it a bit more would ask for an update but from the last time i watched it it would be more like an epic ;D

Time to jump back on the Raider bandwagon, bro. They signed Randy Moss, who may be the most explosive receiver in the game's history (on and off field!) and they also signed Lamont Jordan and talented running back who's finally got a chance to start. Combine that with their Qb's cannon arm and they could be alot of fun to watch.

Offline Another-kop-hero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2005, 05:53:32 pm »
Time to jump back on the Raider bandwagon, bro. They signed Randy Moss, who may be the most explosive receiver in the game's history (on and off field!) and they also signed Lamont Jordan and talented running back who's finally got a chance to start. Combine that with their Qb's cannon arm and they could be alot of fun to watch.
;D yea i didnt get that far in to it to support a team properly and the raiders just took my liking its just the coverage over here went to shit well for me it did so i didnt get chance to follow them as much as id like to but cheers for the info

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2005, 07:46:51 pm »
Nonsense!

??? Canton, Massachusetts?

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2005, 07:48:11 pm »
COME ON YOU PATS!!!!

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2005, 10:36:00 pm »

??? Canton, Massachusetts?

YOu're killin me here Vinay, Canton Ohio, the hall of fame... ;)

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2005, 10:47:33 pm »
Looks like the AFC West Champions have a tough year in front of them.  Anyone give the Chargers a chance this year?
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2005, 10:48:37 pm »
Looks like the AFC West Champions have a tough year in front of them.  Anyone give the Chargers a chance this year?

gonna be tough for the chargers, but, they have all 22 starters comin back this year, guess we'll see if Brees' season last year was a fluke or not...

They are playin the packers tonite in preseason on ESPN....

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2005, 10:58:00 pm »
I see 3 AFC teams better than Diego  .  .  New England, the Colts and Pittsburgh. It's tough to talk about NFL football on the 11th of August though!

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2005, 01:26:31 am »
It's a beautiful site to see Lambeau looking so pretty...

ahhh, glad to see you're back where you left off ahman, you fumbling bastard
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 01:30:05 am by nyujvary »