Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé  (Read 3068683 times)

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023
« Reply #3800 on: May 29, 2023, 10:09:46 am »
I know everyone knows we need a DM, but do people here think we’re actually going to sign one this summer?
It might not be a player that is a DM right now. Gakpo was not a false 9 at PSV.
Players tend to move into more defensive positions with age.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #3801 on: May 29, 2023, 10:13:35 am »
I added another midfield project and obv a back up keeper but no one cares who
We’re not losing many minutes in those ten outside Henderson and Fabinho

For homegrown purposes although Cherki is incredibly talented for me there is an equally talented homegrown player with a similar profile. Olise.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3802 on: May 29, 2023, 10:15:37 am »
Yeah that 3rd from Southampton, he was quite shocking. In no man's land- not sure what to do, then reacting too slowly and the rest, as they say...
Our midfield in general, was absent.
I can understand that he was the sole midfielder at the time, but he should've at least made the tackle. The effort is typical of a guy who just had a short sprint and is gassed.
Poor lad. He's been a great servant, but his legs look gone, and his energy levels aren't what they used to be.

I suppose the question Klopp might ask is why that space is there to begin with. Fabinho's never been fast, but it's rare that he's been left with so much space to cover in previous years. He's technically playing LDM there, and the RDM has just lost the ball on the edge of the opposition penalty area. Who is responsible for covering that area? Fabinho has a lot of ground to cover, and the only mistake he makes is not fully committing to the tackle.

I think that clip shows us that we have a lot of work to do with this system. Between the RCB, RDM/RB, CDM, RCM it's an absolute mess in transitions.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3803 on: May 29, 2023, 10:19:36 am »
I know everyone knows we need a DM, but do people here think we’re actually going to sign one this summer?

Can't see us making top 4 without one. Position we need the most. We have to.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3804 on: May 29, 2023, 10:20:01 am »
Yeah that 3rd from Southampton, he was quite shocking. In no man's land- not sure what to do, then reacting too slowly and the rest, as they say...
I can understand that he was the sole midfielder at the time, but he should've at least made the tackle. The effort is typical of a guy who just had a short sprint and is gassed.
Poor lad. He's been a great servant, but his legs look gone, and his energy levels aren't what they used to be.

Honestly wtf are trent and Gomez doing there. He took a bad angle and got outpaced but trent vacated the MF space that now fabinho has to cover and does a terrible job of pressing it. Gomez is pulling a sktrel running away the ball. Also like 3% chance of scoring that goal too lol.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3805 on: May 29, 2023, 10:20:51 am »
‘I’d take Ward Prowse if they’re letting him go for a decent price. Good replacement for Milner in the squad.

No brainer for me.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3806 on: May 29, 2023, 10:21:52 am »
He’s predominantly played on the left though. I think we’ve earmarked him for LCM and have someone else in mind for the right side.
He can play both, probably better on the left regardless need two players for each role.
Jones and Elliott are one for each currently for past the 2023/2024 season

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3807 on: May 29, 2023, 10:25:14 am »
No brainer for me.

If he was the 4th midfield signing then fine. If he's in the main 3 that would be terrible.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3808 on: May 29, 2023, 10:28:22 am »
I can't help but think we're going to be pretty crap in a new and different way next season. Robertson, Van Dijk, Fabinho, Henderson, Matip, Gomez all on the slide big time, three CMs leaving (after contributing next to nothing this season). Loads of good attackers who don't all quite fit together. Squad's in a bad place IMHO.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3809 on: May 29, 2023, 10:28:41 am »

I reckon we wont bother signing one. Dont think the club sees it as a priority at all. Will be MacAllister and one other CM, a defender and that's pretty much it. Loads of links, talks, monitoring etc etc will lead to the usual thrifty approach of not spending enough and reason 17483934847 we cant spend will gloriously emerge, if it wasn't for that meddling lack CL football

Reports of no CL football scuppering our plans will come out and all the 'saving for a big summer' stuff will slowly back into a hedge in a fashion Homer Simpson would be proud of.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3810 on: May 29, 2023, 10:31:36 am »
I reckon we wont bother signing one. Dont think the club sees it as a priority at all. Will be MacAllister and one other CM, a defender and that's pretty much it. Loads of links, talks, monitoring etc etc will lead to the usual thrifty approach of not spending enough and reason 17483934847 we cant spend will gloriously emerge, if it wasn't for that meddling lack CL football

Reports of no CL football scuppering our plans will come out and all the 'saving for a big summer' stuff will slowly back into a hedge in a fashion Homer Simpson would be proud of.

It's almost like we've seen it before.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #3811 on: May 29, 2023, 10:33:11 am »
I suppose the question Klopp might ask is why that space is there to begin with. Fabinho's never been fast, but it's rare that he's been left with so much space to cover in previous years. He's technically playing LDM there, and the RDM has just lost the ball on the edge of the opposition penalty area. Who is responsible for covering that area? Fabinho has a lot of ground to cover, and the only mistake he makes is not fully committing to the tackle.

I think that clip shows us that we have a lot of work to do with this system. Between the RCB, RDM/RB, CDM, RCM it's an absolute mess in transitions.
Honestly wtf are trent and Gomez doing there. He took a bad angle and got outpaced but trent vacated the MF space that now fabinho has to cover and does a terrible job of pressing it. Gomez is pulling a sktrel running away the ball. Also like 3% chance of scoring that goal too lol.
It really is shocking to look at. That massive hole on the right there- filled with Southampton players salivating for the ball, as well as the other holes in midfield.. then players legging it back, while the defense is in disarray and Gomez backing off into eternity. One pass and we were destroyed.
It's a messed up soup of blinders upon errors.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3812 on: May 29, 2023, 10:35:33 am »
He was back in the Argentina squad in January 2022. He was good in the 2nd half of last season. We could have approached him it would have saved alot of money. He started this season very well & signed new deal end of october. If we showed interest he would not have signed a new deal. Seems the WC was when we got interested in him. Just not very clever.

There is no way clubs didn't approach his agent to try to get him for free even us normal fans here we were talking about how stupid this move is when he extended his contract . The way I see it he made up his mind he will leave but wanted Brighton to get a fee instead of nothing which explains the agreement they had. That's why I don't believe the rumored fee , I bet it is way way lower.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3813 on: May 29, 2023, 10:42:03 am »
Why couldn't Macallister play Fabinho's role anyway?
We see all the time how Klopp buys players for a different role than they currently have.

Because he is short, not very strong and slow.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3814 on: May 29, 2023, 10:45:01 am »

Well, I would have put it nicer than that. But you're probably right.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #3815 on: May 29, 2023, 10:45:07 am »
he sounds great...
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3816 on: May 29, 2023, 10:45:54 am »
I’d happily have Lavia as a no.6 he’s got some good engine. Seems a player we will regret not signing him and being patient.

Problem we have is we need CM for now and he isnt good enough for us plus his fee is going to be at least £30m at a guess.

Its a mess we created ourselves and looking at prices bang average players are moving for makes me a touch nervous.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3817 on: May 29, 2023, 10:47:29 am »

Damn that's our biggest buy this summer. What a way to describe him  ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3818 on: May 29, 2023, 10:55:34 am »
Damn that's our biggest buy this summer. What a way to describe him  ;D

He can do other roles in midfield but asking him to do the Fabinho role would be madness.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3819 on: May 29, 2023, 10:59:11 am »

Why the fuck are we rushing through a sporting director for just three signings? I am a bit concerned of how the summer will go but 3 signings only would be madness and contradicts the actions of the club and what Klopp has said. The guy signed 5 players each summer window for three summers straight.

Also if we are short of money then we need to get ruthless. Sell the likes of Kellaher, Gomez, Carvalho, Tsimikas, Matip, Fabinho etc. There is absolutely no excuses not to move some of our players on.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3820 on: May 29, 2023, 11:00:01 am »
It's almost like we've seen it before.

I really don't think we have. It's obvious now that Fabinho needed replacing/an understudy/support this time last summer but it was hardly the same situation as the one we're in now. We'd just played every single game possible, got 92 points, got to the Champions League final, won a domestic double. There was definitely a fair argument that we didn't need to sign midfielders.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3821 on: May 29, 2023, 11:13:23 am »

I know it's Fab bashing season on here by the looks of it but he (and others) has a choice to lunge in and take a yellow there or not. Gomez on the other hand would have ran into the car park if the stand wasn't there, absolutely comical, you'd be forgiven to think the guy had a gun.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3822 on: May 29, 2023, 11:16:25 am »
I think the smartest thing to do is buy a RB and slot Trent in midfield.

I really dont like this new system as it leaves you even more exposed if you dont have workhorses to cover ground in midfield.

Gomez wasnt good on that goal but he has hardly played all seadon, Fabinho on the other hand pretty much plays when fit and he is a real concern for next season.

Fabinho been a good player for us but if we got an offer we have to consider it and freshen the squad up.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3823 on: May 29, 2023, 11:17:17 am »
I really don't think we have. It's obvious now that Fabinho needed replacing/an understudy/support this time last summer but it was hardly the same situation as the one we're in now. We'd just played every single game possible, got 92 points, got to the Champions League final, won a domestic double. There was definitely a fair argument that we didn't need to sign midfielders.

I'd disagree, because I think the summer before we needed to bring one or two in then after losing Gini and knowing literally all of Henderson, Fabinho, Milner and especially Thiago/Keita were/are extremely prone to missing games. I thought it was mad in Summer 2021 that a midfielder wasn't incoming to replace Wijnaldum, I thought it was doubly mad that at least one didn't join in Summer 2022. We should have been more proactive in trying to offload Keita/Chamberlain and maybe even Milner ,and looked to bring in the players that would ultimately succeed Henderson and Thiago. I'd agree on Fabinho that the situation has changed perspective, if you'd told me a year ago we should be after someone better than him I'd have thought you mad, his drop off has been a massive surprise to me this season.

Thiago the only senior central midfielder we've signed since Keita. That's one in five (arguably six?) years. They've all performed well but that just feels like malaise to me.

I'm fearing the worst on this midfield rebuild truth be told. All the stuff about being out of the Champions League impacting us ... I mean, we'll wait and see but nothing would surprise me less than that being parroted all summer. We're getting rid of three good players who ultimately haven't been able to chip in this season, so if we can get three in who can offer something from the start imagine how much more productive we could be in midfield. It should be a really exciting thought but I'm convinced they're going to cheap out again, such is their history.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3824 on: May 29, 2023, 11:22:09 am »
I really want Ugarte and Caicedo but I'm not convinced a midfield 3 in which 2 are Ugarte and Caicedo has enough ball progression. I'm also not sure it works with our new 8/10 hybrid roles for the midfielders. Perhaps Trent inverting offsets this and Ugarte turns out to be better on the ball than his numbers suggest so the ball progression isn't an issue. But Caicedo is not, and never will be, an 8/10 hybrid. That said, if we're going back to basically giving Trent a free role in possession to roam the right hand flank as he wants and asking our RCM to cover him Caicedo would be perfect. Might even get away with Fabinho as a 6 if we had Caicedo fighting fires

The thing is if we bought Ugarte and Caicedo you'd have a pretty complete unit .. Thiago, Trent, Jones, Elliot and Henderson are already excellent ball progressors and you can mix and match.. play your runners in tough away games, more creative players vs the dross etc
By the way you're under rating Caicedo's forward passing - it's already good and will only improve (makes significantly more progressive passes than Fabinho for example)

Obviously this isn't the business we're going to be doing so its all hypothetical.
I''m really skeptical the set up we played at the end of the season is going to work with some combination of fabinho/henderson at 6. City make it work with the best 6 in the world - despite our results improving in this stretch we've had a lot of soft opposition and it hasn't looked good when we've been put under any sort of pressure
I'm totally perplexed if we're really looking at this team and not thinking we need 2 athletes with defensive ability or at the absolute minimum an upgrade at 6
Sitting on our hands and watching Ugarte go to Chelsea would be bad

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3825 on: May 29, 2023, 11:22:57 am »
I know it's Fab bashing season on here by the looks of it but he (and others) has a choice to lunge in and take a yellow there or not. Gomez on the other hand would have ran into the car park if the stand wasn't there, absolutely comical, you'd be forgiven to think the guy had a gun.
You're right I don't get that criticism there even Fab at his peak has no chance of getting back unless the defence actually tries to hold them up and not just sprint at them.

Thing is there's two sides of It Fabinhos level may have dropped but he's never been left as exposed as he has until this season. He was always the Hoover of the team, not the one man wrecking show.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3826 on: May 29, 2023, 11:23:37 am »
I think the smartest thing to do is buy a RB and slot Trent in midfield.

I'm happy enough with Gomez as right-back, with the bonus of being able to switch to Gomez tucking in as 3rd CB and Trent going back to wing-back,

I think we're going to need all our money to re-fit the midfield, and possibly buy a centre-back and replacement No 2 goalkeeper as well.

People talking about Ward-Prowse, I just don't see how he's got the legs/speed to work in a 4-3-3. I don't see how he'd be that much of an improvement on how Jordan's been this season, though with the bonus of his dead-ball skills.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3827 on: May 29, 2023, 11:24:48 am »
I'm happy enough with Gomez as right-back. I think we're going to need all our money to re-fit the midfield, and possibly buy a centre-back and replacement No 2 goalkeeper as well.

People talking about Ward-Prowse, I just don't see how he's got the legs/speed to work in a 4-3-3. I don't see how he'd be that much of an improvement on how Jordan's been this season, though with the bonus of his dead-ball skills.
Gomez isn't good enough mate. We can't be looking at winning the EL with backups like him. We can't keep on making the same mistake of holding on to players too long and letting them run down their contract.

He's not good enough and there's a market for him. Why keep him then?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 11:30:04 am by MonsLibpool »

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3828 on: May 29, 2023, 11:26:31 am »
You're right I don't get that criticism there even Fab at his peak has no chance of getting back unless the defence actually tries to hold them up and not just sprint at them.

Thing is there's two sides of It Fabinhos level may have dropped but he's never been left as exposed as he has until this season. He was always the Hoover of the team, not the one man wrecking show.
It's not his fault but the issue is that he's too slow to make a tactical foul which is the bread and butter of defensive midfielder then he jogs back. That's just not good enough.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3829 on: May 29, 2023, 11:28:29 am »
I'm happy enough with Gomez as right-back, with the bonus of being able to switch to Gomez tucking in as 3rd CB and Trent going back to wing-back,

I think we're going to need all our money to re-fit the midfield, and possibly buy a centre-back and replacement No 2 goalkeeper as well.

Gomez is a good RB the worry is his fitness but yeah you'd guess money will be tight.

JWP is a good player, he isnt quick but covers ground well, works hard and is never injured he would imo be a good squad player.

I mean we've gone from Bellingham to thinking JWP is ok but that is reality with how we are in the market.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3830 on: May 29, 2023, 11:31:48 am »
You can't play Gomez at right back in this system

Why is everyone talking about playing Trent in midfield when we've spent the last 10 games playing a very specific system where this doesnt happen?!

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3831 on: May 29, 2023, 11:34:24 am »
He did a Skrtel impression there. Needs to be moved on.

Haha very true. In a more functional midfield and defence we can allow for Joe to be less optimal, right now it's not a luxury we can't carry.

Edit: can -> can't
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 11:38:37 am by plura »

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3832 on: May 29, 2023, 11:34:43 am »
I'd disagree, because I think the summer before we needed to bring one or two in then after losing Gini and knowing literally all of Henderson, Fabinho, Milner and especially Thiago/Keita were/are extremely prone to missing games. I thought it was mad in Summer 2021 that a midfielder wasn't incoming to replace Wijnaldum, I thought it was doubly mad that at least one didn't join in Summer 2022. We should have been more proactive in trying to offload Keita/Chamberlain and maybe even Milner ,and looked to bring in the players that would ultimately succeed Henderson and Thiago. I'd agree on Fabinho that the situation has changed perspective, if you'd told me a year ago we should be after someone better than him I'd have thought you mad, his drop off has been a massive surprise to me this season.

Thiago the only senior central midfielder we've signed since Keita. That's one in five (arguably six?) years. They've all performed well but that just feels like malaise to me.

I'm fearing the worst on this midfield rebuild truth be told. All the stuff about being out of the Champions League impacting us ... I mean, we'll wait and see but nothing would surprise me less than that being parroted all summer. We're getting rid of three good players who ultimately haven't been able to chip in this season, so if we can get three in who can offer something from the start imagine how much more productive we could be in midfield. It should be a really exciting thought but I'm convinced they're going to cheap out again, such is their history.

You certainly wouldn't have been alone in thinking that we needed a midfielder at that point, and my argument isn't that nobody saw this coming, it's that everybody knows without a doubt now that we need midfielders. Not everyone did last year, I know I got it wrong and thought we were in good shape.

It's why I'm finding it frustrating to see people saying, "this is going to be the same as last year", I really don't think so, because last year we were coming off another amazing season. This year we're not. The landscape is different and there is no escaping the fact (rather than opinion) that we need new midfielders.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3833 on: May 29, 2023, 11:36:49 am »
Haha very true. In a more functional midfield and defence we can allow for Joe to be less optimal, right now it's not a luxury we can carry.
We shouldn't be making do with and "carrying" players that are clearly not good enough if we want to win trophies and it's not as if he hasn't had enough opportunities. He came in after during Virg's one-month lay-off and we went on our worst run of form losing 3-0 to Wolves and 5-2 to Madrid.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3834 on: May 29, 2023, 11:37:10 am »

I hope so. For me, it's our most important need this summer

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #3835 on: May 29, 2023, 11:37:30 am »
You can't play Gomez at right back in this system

Why is everyone talking about playing Trent in midfield when we've spent the last 10 games playing a very specific system where this doesnt happen?!
Because the system isnt working defensively, at all. The first few games we got some surprise bonus, but recently we've been punished time after time.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3836 on: May 29, 2023, 11:38:18 am »
We shouldn't be making do with and "carrying" players that are clearly not good enough if we want to win trophies and it's not as if he hasn't had enough opportunities. He came in after during Virg's one-month lay-off and we went on our worst run of form.

Sorry meant to say can't of course...

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3837 on: May 29, 2023, 11:38:45 am »
👍

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3838 on: May 29, 2023, 11:39:24 am »
Haha very true. In a more functional midfield and defence we can allow for Joe to be less optimal, right now it's not a luxury we can carry.

I have been a big fan of Joe Gomez but to be honest he would be better of leaving this club and going somewhere else, as he is never going to be accepted by the majority of fans here. I took one look at that backline and defence yesterday and knew all those were players were on a hiding to nothing. But of course, none of that gets taken into account as fans continue to slag players off. I have to wonder what the manager was doing yesterday with the team he picked. But I think a career away from Liverpool would be the best thing for Joe now. I still think he has the chance to be a very good player but not here and he's taken enough shite from people.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3839 on: May 29, 2023, 11:40:18 am »

Well there's no need for that.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.