Author Topic: Moving to Liverpool  (Read 18296 times)

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
Moving to Liverpool
« on: February 9, 2023, 07:01:10 pm »
I've not been posting for a while, but this seems just the place to come for some important advice...

I have just been offered a job in Liverpool, which means I have just under 6 weeks to move my family up from London, and I'd really welcome some advice about cheap, decent areas to raise a family in. We can't afford more than £900 a month for 3 beds, so beggars can't be choosers and all that, but any help in terms of schools, parks, local facilities, general vibe or any areas to avoid would be more than welcome. Properties I've seen in our range so far include ones in Huyton, Walton  (near Anfield, right? :-) ) and Bootle...

Many thanks,

HBHR
« Last Edit: February 9, 2023, 07:10:38 pm by hesbighesred »
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Moving to Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: February 9, 2023, 10:09:51 pm »
Uh oh, you've started a fight...

South end for what its worth!

Honestly wouldn't pick any of the areas you have listed. All a bit out of town and some parts can be a bit dodgy.

I'd probably look at schools first, and find something nearby. But also depends on where your job is based.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: February 9, 2023, 10:40:32 pm »
Just looked on zoopla and yeah it's not looking too pretty at that price range for 3 beds. I'm wondering how the hell you live in London on that budget!

This one was by far the best I found in terms of location:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/54621562/?search_identifier=8a791f1939f045fbc1c56487843d9468

I was searching Crosby and surrounding areas. I don't know anything about the South end so maybe there's more value to be had there

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 9, 2023, 11:46:55 pm »
fuckinell, whats wrong with Huyton?
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 01:34:30 am »
I used to live in Garston, Bootle, Southport, Orrel Park and now Allerton.

I like Allerton the best.

Garston when I lived there was an interesting place (Mid 80s-early 90s) - great place to live, but certainly had it's dangerous moments

Bootle can be quite nice, but also can be a bit rough.

Southport can be a lot posher and isn't too far to drive or get the train direct to Moorfields/Central - there are other places in-between like Formby and others that you could look at - Crosby looks decent

Orrel Park is somewhere I liked but again can be a bit rough. But I never had any problems there.

Allerton is probably the most expensive of the bunch overall,but is great for bus and train links, schools and some decent new and older pubs, plus quite a variety of takeaways and restaurants and always a good place to go from Allerton Road up to Rose Lane, Penny Lane and Aigburth Road - plus not too far from Lark Lane.

Looking at the prices for around Allerton, seems to be about £950 up to £3,500 a month..

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E1867&sortType=18&propertyTypes=&mustHave=&dontShow=&furnishTypes=&keywords=3%20bedrooms
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 01:39:42 am by Andy @ Allerton! »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 09:48:06 am »
Uh oh, you've started a fight...

South end for what its worth!

Honestly wouldn't pick any of the areas you have listed. All a bit out of town and some parts can be a bit dodgy.

I'd probably look at schools first, and find something nearby. But also depends on where your job is based.

How on earth is Walton a bit out of town? It is about a 10 min drive to the city centre.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 10:58:17 am »
How on earth is Walton a bit out of town? It is about a 10 min drive to the city centre.

Eh, its a 10 min walk from mine ;D

I live in L8. Anything across town seems far away.

Funnily when I wrote that I thought Walton isn't actually that far, but ah well... ;D

I would probably look at Aigburth, Garston, Allerton for a family in the south end. Better chance of finding somewhere with a bit of a garden, and quieter. But honestly with kids being close to a school thats good for them would be my main priority (other than price, off course).
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 12:26:18 pm »
As a resident of Huyton I take exception to this. Apart from the scrambler bikes, constant police sirens and shootings its absolutely fine.

Seriously though, there is good and bad parts of everywhere, Huyton included. For your budget its unlikely you'd get the likes of Mossley Hill, Crosby and that.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 12:57:04 pm »
I'd say look around L8 and Wavertree. Some rough parts for sure, but close to town, close to nice parks, and close to good schools, and more likely to have places in your budget than some of the other areas mentioned (Aigburth, Allerton, Garston etc).

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 12:58:39 pm »
Good luck with the move mate

here you go:

£995 - 10 minute walk to to Halewood station or 15 to Hunts cross and you get to see Sean Dyche driving into Finch Farm every day  ;D

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/131536196#/?channel=RES_LET

(My dad lives round the corner)

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 01:43:09 pm »
If you're not bothered about a garden, then something like this is in your price range, it's in a nice quiet part of Wavertree and very close to Allerton Road/Penny Lane. I'm biased as I'm a South ender but I'd personally avoid all of the areas you mention in your OP.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130867898#/?channel=RES_LET

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 01:44:14 pm »
I used to live in Garston, Bootle, Southport, Orrel Park and now Allerton.

Where in Southport did you used to live?

Southport is a good shout - it's a bit out of the way, but its a quiet, safe area. £950 pcm gets you a large 3 bed victorian, with 2 double bedrooms, 1 minute walk from where I used to live. Its a 10/15minute walk to Southport train station, Tesco/Asda/Aldi all nearby. 2 minute walk to Meols Cop station with trains to Manchester, 25 minute walk to the beach, Botanic Gardens and Hesketh Park are nearby, Norwood school and Meols Cop high school within 5 minutes walk

And a 15 minute drive to where Jurgen lives ;)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/131031356#/?channel=RES_LET
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 01:47:02 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 01:55:34 pm »
Honestly, you can't go "I'm moving to Liverpool" and then move to Southport.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 02:17:51 pm by redbyrdz »

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 01:57:57 pm »
You could also consider something like this in West Derby, it's slightly above your price range, but if you can stretch then you're getting a 3 bed semi with a garden. It's a nice area too West Derby, but because it's in North Liverpool (and full disclosure, borders some rougher areas) you get more for your money there than in the South end.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130396130#/map?channel=RES_LET

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 01:59:39 pm »
I'd say look around L8 and Wavertree. Some rough parts for sure, but close to town, close to nice parks, and close to good schools, and more likely to have places in your budget than some of the other areas mentioned (Aigburth, Allerton, Garston etc).

Yeah, I don't think its particularly rough these days, and we have nice parks and good transport links. But it is quite busy with people, and you're unlikely to find somehwere with a garden as so much is terraced. That's why I don't think it's great for a family.

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2023, 02:10:23 pm »
Honestly, you can go "I'm moving to Liverpool" and then move to Southport.

Might as well throw Widnes in then.

South Liverpool would be my starting point as others have mentioned with the biggest selling point of course being where our parades begin.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 02:12:04 pm by sheepfest »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2023, 02:20:48 pm »
If you're not bothered about a garden, then something like this is in your price range, it's in a nice quiet part of Wavertree and very close to Allerton Road/Penny Lane. I'm biased as I'm a South ender but I'd personally avoid all of the areas you mention in your OP.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130867898#/?channel=RES_LET

That's a cracker isn't it. That's where I'd live if I was moving back to Liverpool

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2023, 02:53:21 pm »
There is of course the Wirral as well (runs for cover......)
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2023, 03:35:39 pm »
There is of course the Wirral as well (runs for cover......)

Speaking of which, theirs a new estate built right next to Moreton Station [20 minutes to Liverpool on the train], on the old Burtons factory site, not sure what the mortgages are, or if all the houses have been sold, might be worth a look, handy thing is, it's about half a mile from the beach.
#Sausages

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 03:46:59 pm »
Honestly, you can't go "I'm moving to Liverpool" and then move to Southport.

I moved from Kirkby to Southport and for about 18 months I was commuting to our branches in Wavertree, Aintree, Bootle and Birkenhead, so it's do-able. Once the new trains come in, its a quick commute. London takes 2 days to go 1 mile ;)

Besides that, its nicer/safer than Bootle or Huyton and where I'd choose, Allerton and around there, seems to be out of his range.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2023, 04:44:22 pm »
Where in Southport did you used to live?

Southport is a good shout - it's a bit out of the way, but its a quiet, safe area. £950 pcm gets you a large 3 bed victorian, with 2 double bedrooms, 1 minute walk from where I used to live. Its a 10/15minute walk to Southport train station, Tesco/Asda/Aldi all nearby. 2 minute walk to Meols Cop station with trains to Manchester, 25 minute walk to the beach, Botanic Gardens and Hesketh Park are nearby, Norwood school and Meols Cop high school within 5 minutes walk

And a 15 minute drive to where Jurgen lives ;)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/131031356#/?channel=RES_LET

Used to live in Crossens (Grandparents) and Marshside - but not for too many years. As soon as I could I was off to sunny Garston :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2023, 05:01:34 pm »
You could also consider something like this in West Derby, it's slightly above your price range, but if you can stretch then you're getting a 3 bed semi with a garden. It's a nice area too West Derby, but because it's in North Liverpool (and full disclosure, borders some rougher areas) you get more for your money there than in the South end.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130396130#/map?channel=RES_LET

Looking at all the ones proposed i would deffo check that one out , that’s decent area close to a lot of decent amenities either near Eaton road or the bars and restaurants of west derby village . It’s close to queens drive and plenty of good bus routes in the area . You also have a few parks not too far away .

There are supermarkets ( Morrisons , Tesco and Aldi ) five minutes away in a car though you may be swayed by what part of the city your working in .

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2023, 07:14:47 pm »
It's a really hard question Seb, and hello mate.
Is your work in the city centre?
How many kids have you got?
Are you only wanting to rent?
Why are you considering anywhere other than south Liverpool, Andy@ know best mate :)

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2023, 07:23:05 pm »
Used to live in Crossens (Grandparents) and Marshside - but not for too many years. As soon as I could I was off to sunny Garston :)

We lived in Blowick/Meols Cop. Moved there in 1987 and stayed until 2006, moved to Burscough then Manc in 2007.

Offline redman1974

• Legacy Fan
  • scottkop105 on twitter My new number 07511165355
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2023, 10:20:38 pm »
I made this move to Liverpool nearly 5 years ago now and have no regrets at all, we rented first in old swan and then brought a 3 bed semi in Norris green. Both have great bus routes into town and plenty of local shops and other amenities in the areas. Good and rough areas in both places but doesn't every were. Good luck with the move you won't regret it.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2023, 09:12:45 am »
L5 massive. We're getting a Lidl at the end of the month and EVERYTHING.

Online Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2023, 09:38:01 am »

And a Tim Hortons, which definitely doesn't feel like an afterthought
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2023, 09:41:19 am »
I'm moving to Greenbank Park (well, not the park itself that would imply homelessness)

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2023, 10:20:35 am »
This is all massively helpful, thanks lads. I'm also enjoying the inter-area rivalries! I've accepted the job now (it's bang in the town centre) so it's going to be a mad month of moving ahead.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2023, 10:21:39 am »
We'd better get in there before property prices double, the Lidl effect is well known here in London. Adds almost as much value as a new tube station. (Seriously though, I love Lidl. This is a strong recommendation).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:34:07 am by hesbighesred »

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2023, 10:26:21 am »
We'd better get in there before property prices double, the Lidl effect is well known here in London. Adds almost as much value as a new tube station.

What part of London do you live in currently?

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2023, 10:36:30 am »
It's a really hard question Seb, and hello mate.
Is your work in the city centre?
How many kids have you got?
Are you only wanting to rent?
Why are you considering anywhere other than south Liverpool, Andy@ know best mate :)
City centre job, 2 young kids (2 and 6). There's been a fair bit of love for South Liverpool here, will take it into consideration - especially now you've added your weight behind it. :-)

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2023, 10:37:09 am »
What part of London do you live in currently?
Brixton - I live in Angell Town.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:39:36 am by hesbighesred »

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2023, 10:45:04 am »
Brixton - I live in Angell Town.

Anywhere in Liverpool is going to be an improvement then ;)

Hope you settle in easily - you probably already know this, but us Scousers are a very friendly lot and you'll be welcomed, being a red will help too. Just be prepared for random strangers to actually sit and talk to you for no reason other than to just chat.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2023, 11:17:04 am »
We'd better get in there before property prices double, the Lidl effect is well known here in London. Adds almost as much value as a new tube station. (Seriously though, I love Lidl. This is a strong recommendation).

Eh, we have a Lidl and a massive Tesco just across the road. Come to the Southend.
(There are actually a lot of Lidls in Liverpool now. We still haven't got a single Waitrose though ;D )

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2023, 11:19:08 am »
I'm moving to Greenbank Park (well, not the park itself that would imply homelessness)

Theres allotments right next to the park, you could have a shed... ;D

That's a really nice area as well, but lots of houses are massive and have been turned into apartments.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2023, 11:38:56 am »
City centre job, 2 young kids (2 and 6). There's been a fair bit of love for South Liverpool here, will take it into consideration - especially now you've added your weight behind it. :-)

A couple of more thoughts:

If you work in the city centre, see if you can find somewhere where you can get the train (or bus) to work. Driving in the city centre is not fun, and parking expensive (still better than London I'd guess).

As this has all to happen very quickly, I'd find a place to rent for now. But just as an idea, buying a house is a lot cheaper here than down south. A 3-bed  probably starts around £150k.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2023, 11:45:48 am »

If you fancy trying Wirral, then Wallasey Village, has 2 rail stations, & a Lidl plus a few other shops.

Ducks for cover. ;D
#Sausages

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2023, 11:48:48 am »
Theres allotments right next to the park, you could have a shed... ;D

That's a really nice area as well, but lots of houses are massive and have been turned into apartments.

seen the allotments! My flat is by em

south Liverpool is possibly the only south anything I want!

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2023, 11:49:23 am »
How about this: https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/63873289.

Direct access to the river prom (2min) (views over the river to the Wirral and Wales too). Primary school 500m up the road. 5min walk to train station, one stop into town.
£900pcm.

Oh yeh, 5min walk to Lidl too.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 11:59:55 am by redbyrdz »