Author Topic: Don't know where this belongs - Newcastle fans FA cup  (Read 4776 times)

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
Don't know where this belongs - Newcastle fans FA cup
« on: January 10, 2023, 10:27:06 pm »
Just saw it and I just don't know what to say. Overcrowding and crushing reported in Leppings Lane at weekend

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64228487

"The SGSA is now working with the club, Sheffield City Council and the Safety Advisory Group to review the event, learn any lessons and ensure a safe environment for football fans."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 10:30:08 pm by Billy Elliot »
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Re: Don't know where this belongs - Newcastle fans FA cup
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 10:32:43 pm »
Just unbelievable

That place needed knocking down in 89

They’re lucky there weren’t the fences
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 10:41:27 pm »
Just saw a photo. Everyone coming in through the central tunnel, wings empty. Not posting it, made me feel sick.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 10:48:53 pm »
They'll still sing always the victims.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 10:50:48 pm »
They'll still sing always the victims.

Not too sure hearing some of them being interviewed and that.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 10:56:59 pm »

I am
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 10:58:47 pm »

I bet they do.

Like I said in the head choppers thread,that stand should've been demolished 30rs ago,fuck knows how they've let it happen again but at the very least it should be closed until further notice.

Wednesdays fans were all over twitter defending it and blaming the guy who posted the picture,trying to claim he only posted it because of the score,the tweet was posted at HT when the score was level.  :wanker

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 11:05:01 pm »
I've only been back once. The terracing was still there but it was closed off, and some woman was trying to get through to leave flowers. The stewards were stopping her and she was hysterical. As you can imagine, it got nasty.

I was just thinking of what it'd have been like if we played there again, and that happened (Newcastle). Doubt I'll ever go back. Well, considering I don't even bother with home matches now but you know what I mean.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 01:08:56 am »
The Leppings Lane should have been demolished years ago. Hillsborough should be flattened.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 01:12:50 am »
As so many others have said over the years, the Leppings Lane end should have been demolished after the disaster of 1989.

Sadly, the narrative since then has always tried to blame the fans rather than the fundamentally flawed design of that end with its bottle-neck causing tunnel. Throw in poor policing and/or stewarding and continuing to use that end is akin to playing Russian roulette.

There has been so much arse-covering and deflection since 1989 that all those very lucky escapes by a number of fanbases using that end leading up to '89 have been forgotten and lessons simply have not been learned. The reality is that the Leppings was and still is a death trap. It should have been demolished long ago, with a new, well designed and safe stand replacing it.

Of course, if they'd done the right thing it would also have been like admitting that it was a death trap all along and completely unfit for purpose. So, it's much easier and more convenient to blame the fans instead.

Anyway, I'm just glad that no one died the other night. No doubt some will be traumatised though.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 01:33:44 am »
 Had a look on google earth, & apart from changing to all seater, & the fences being long removed, that stadium still looks the same today as it did in 89, even the concourse to get into the away end from the street hasn't changed.

Agree with SOS, even before 89, that stadium & particularly the away end wasn't fit for purpose, any club who had large following had issues at that end [check Spurs in 81 semi for prime example], but that's been lost over the blaming of the fans narrative.
#Sausages

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 06:03:29 am »
I've only been the once and walking in made e feel sick to my stomach,said at the time never again.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 06:06:52 am »
As so many others have said over the years, the Leppings Lane end should have been demolished after the disaster of 1989.

Sadly, the narrative since then has always tried to blame the fans rather than the fundamentally flawed design of that end with its bottle-neck causing tunnel. Throw in poor policing and/or stewarding and continuing to use that end is akin to playing Russian roulette.

There has been so much arse-covering and deflection since 1989 that all those very lucky escapes by a number of fanbases using that end leading up to '89 have been forgotten and lessons simply have not been learned. The reality is that the Leppings was and still is a death trap. It should have been demolished long ago, with a new, well designed and safe stand replacing it.

Of course, if they'd done the right thing it would also have been like admitting that it was a death trap all along and completely unfit for purpose. So, it's much easier and more convenient to blame the fans instead.

Anyway, I'm just glad that no one died the other night. No doubt some will be traumatised though.

I agree completely but nothing will be done because the fans and owners simply don't give a fuck,their fans went into overdrive after the Newcastle game,they act like they're being personally insulted.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2023, 10:05:38 am »
I agree completely but nothing will be done because the fans and owners simply don't give a fuck,their fans went into overdrive after the Newcastle game,they act like they're being personally insulted.
And defending an end of the ground that they rarely, if ever have had to use.
If Anfield had played host to the disasters and near misses that Hillsborough has, then I'm pretty sure fan groups would have demanded some action.

If opposition fans determined to continue the lies could get one key point into their tiny minds, it would be this:

The allocated turnstiles were physically incapable of processing the number of tickets sold for that end within sensible timescales. ie fans would have had to start arriving late morning.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 01:39:37 pm »
It's quite bizarre from them. You'd think they'd want their stadium to be as safe as possible. If that was Anfield then I don't see any way I could defend it, and I don't think I'd even want to defend it either.

To be honest, if I was a Wednesday fan I'd want that end gone and replaced. No way would I be wanting to look at an end that had caused so many issues over the years, so many near fatalities then, ultimately, the deaths of 97 fellow football fans and long-term trauma to thousands more.

Seeing it still causing problems today, even seated and with fences removed, tells us it's not the fans, it's the environment that's the problem. If I was a fan of Wednesday there's no way I could defend it. I'd want that end gone, for the good of everyone using it and for the good of my club and it's reputation too.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2023, 03:31:49 pm »
My memories of the day was that the locals were boss. All letting us into their houses to phone our Ma's.

Real shame they turned into twats about it.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2023, 04:37:48 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64240956

Sheffield Wednesday have defended their stewarding after reports of overcrowding during Saturday's FA Cup tie against Newcastle.

The Football Association is looking into claims from Newcastle fans there was a lack of stewarding before kick-off and that they were crammed in.

Wednesday say they have submitted "comprehensive observations" to the FA and will assist its enquiries.

They added the number of stewards in the away end "exceeded requirements".

Ninety-seven Liverpool fans died after a crush in the same Leppings Lane End stand at Hillsborough in April 1989, during the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

On Tuesday the government's advisor on safety at sports grounds - the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA) - said it is "concerned" by reports and will begin a review.

The FA has asked for information from both clubs while the Newcastle United Supporters Trust has asked anyone involved to contact them.

In its first response, Wednesday said: "Whilst it is inappropriate to outline in full the details of the submission at this time, the club feels it is important to emphasise that the stewarding numbers in place within the visitors' section of the stadium exceeded the requirements of the safety certificate.

"The allocation of tickets issued to Newcastle supporters also complied absolutely with the safety certificate.

"In addition, fewer supporters entered the visitors' turnstiles when aligned to the number of tickets allocated and sold.

"The turnstiles were opened 30 minutes earlier than a regular matchday, two hours before kick-off at 4:00pm, to allow Newcastle supporters to enter the stadium in a timely a manner as possible.

"There were no reports of injuries or medical assistance required on the West Stand logged with the club's first aid operations manager before, during and after the game."
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2023, 05:06:44 pm »
My memories of the day was that the locals were boss. All letting us into their houses to phone our Ma's.

Real shame they turned into twats about it.

Same. A shop owner let us use her phone as there were massive queues at phone boxes. Only went back to Hillsborough once, that was a night game, our first time there after the disaster. And embarrassingly the pub we were in kicked everyone out before the game due to yobbish behaviour from fellow Scousers. Not a good look.

Not sure we’ve played them much since then to be honest.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2023, 08:24:34 pm »
In its first response, Wednesday said: "Whilst it is inappropriate to outline in full the details of the submission at this time, the club feels it is important to emphasise that the stewarding numbers in place within the visitors' section of the stadium exceeded the requirements of the safety certificate.

"The allocation of tickets issued to Newcastle supporters also complied absolutely with the safety certificate.

WTF? Everyone knows one of the causes of the Hillsborough disaster was that their safety certificate wasn't fit for purpose, so this is hardly an argument they should be putting forward.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2023, 09:04:35 pm »
I’m glad this has been posted. I couldn’t believe it when I heard about it on the radio. To think that same stand still exists albeit without the horrible terrace is sickening. But to think here we are again all those years later when a large partisan fan base turns up at that Sheffield shithole. Absolute dump of a ground. I also only found out they used it for a league cup final replay in 90’s. Unreal.  Do they have something on the fa.?

Honestly if we ever have to go there again I hope our fans will all stay away and just pay tributes outside.
Sheffield Wednesday Shit club shit ground.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 09:27:05 pm »
WTF? Everyone knows one of the causes of the Hillsborough disaster was that their safety certificate wasn't fit for purpose, so this is hardly an argument they should be putting forward.

Didn't the safety certificate for the stadium ran out sometime 87 or 88 & they didn't renew it until after the disaster, should never have hosted the semi in 89 in the first place?
#Sausages

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 09:34:30 pm »
Same. A shop owner let us use her phone as there were massive queues at phone boxes. Only went back to Hillsborough once, that was a night game, our first time there after the disaster. And embarrassingly the pub we were in kicked everyone out before the game due to yobbish behaviour from fellow Scousers. Not a good look.

Not sure we’ve played them much since then to be honest.

Yeah, that could have been the time I went back. Terracing was still there but blocked off, so might have been the next seasons. All kicked off when the police stopped a women from going through to leave flowers. but was moody before then anyway.

I remember we had them first game of the season as well, think it was Hypia's first game (might have been first away of the season). I had a ticket but gave it a miss and sold it to my mate who went with my brother. I think I remember him telling me there was a bit of trouble that day. Police stopping people taking flowers in, or from putting them on the wrong memorial or something.

It was weird because when we played Sheffield United around that time I can't remember problems. I remember the police coming on the coach and telling us to leave alcohol on, thought there was gona be trouble. Someone shouted, "It's alright lads, they didn't mention the drugs" and police had a laugh and that.

But definetely wasn't like that at Wednesday.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2023, 09:37:15 pm »
Absolute dump of a ground. I also only found out they used it for a league cup final replay in 90’s.

There was another Cup semi there in 90s wasn't there? Maybe I'm mixing it up with a League Cup final replay but sure I remember being shocked it'd been selected for a semi.

Edit

Yeah, just checked. 92 when we were at Highbury against Portsmouth,

« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 09:39:10 pm by Billy Elliot »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 09:59:14 pm »
There was another Cup semi there in 90s wasn't there? Maybe I'm mixing it up with a League Cup final replay but sure I remember being shocked it'd been selected for a semi.

Edit

Did Everton beat Spurs there in 95 too or have I imagined that?

Edit - nope, was Elland Road.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2023, 10:02:15 pm »
Did Everton beat Spurs there in 95 too or have I imagined that?

Edit - nope, was Elland Road.

I thought it was that as well but then thought if it was Everton I'd remember it better.

Went back and checked and the 97 replay between Boro and Chesterfield was there as well

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 10:07:06 pm »
Didn't the safety certificate for the stadium ran out sometime 87 or 88 & they didn't renew it until after the disaster, should never have hosted the semi in 89 in the first place?

Yeah, it was out of date.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2023, 10:23:14 pm »

Edit

Yeah, Sunderland vs Norwich semi in 92, think they hosted Leicester vs Middlesbrough the league cup final replay in 97, certainly remember a cup final replay their in the late 90s
#Sausages

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2023, 10:30:09 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64240956

Sheffield Wednesday have defended their stewarding after reports of overcrowding during Saturday's FA Cup tie against Newcastle.

The Football Association is looking into claims from Newcastle fans there was a lack of stewarding before kick-off and that they were crammed in.

Wednesday say they have submitted "comprehensive observations" to the FA and will assist its enquiries.

They added the number of stewards in the away end "exceeded requirements".

Ninety-seven Liverpool fans died after a crush in the same Leppings Lane End stand at Hillsborough in April 1989, during the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

On Tuesday the government's advisor on safety at sports grounds - the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA) - said it is "concerned" by reports and will begin a review.

The FA has asked for information from both clubs while the Newcastle United Supporters Trust has asked anyone involved to contact them.

"In addition, fewer supporters entered the visitors' turnstiles when aligned to the number of tickets allocated and sold.

"The turnstiles were opened 30 minutes earlier than a regular matchday, two hours before kick-off at 4:00pm, to allow Newcastle supporters to enter the stadium in a timely a manner as possible.

"There were no reports of injuries or medical assistance required on the West Stand logged with the club's first aid operations manager before, during and after the game."

You can have the stewards but if they are not stationed  at the correct  positions its pointless, the issue with incidents is not crowd volume it is crowd density and the bottle neck affect, it seems too many fans are using the central tunnel and not being directed to the side entrances, which is hauntingly firmiliar.

Although that tunnel has been widened since 1989 there are issues again with the similar symptoms, i have never been to ground were a long concrete tunnel exists  to get to your seat. Only thing i can think of is an underpass getting near the wolves ground which was not managed and has potential for issues.

Yet this ground indeed hosted fa cup semi finals and league cup final replays as well as euro 96 games, and had england won the 2018 bid world cup games with the leppings lane being left as is bar a new roof.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 10:34:40 am by End Product »
No time for caution.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2023, 12:03:41 pm »
You can have the stewards but if they are not stationed  at the correct  positions its pointless, the issue with incidents is not crowd volume it is crowd density and the bottle neck affect, it seems too many fans are using the central tunnel and not being directed to the side entrances, which is hauntingly firmiliar.

Although that tunnel has been widened since 1989 there are issues again with the similar symptoms, i have never been to ground were a long concrete tunnel exists  to get to your seat. Only thing i can think of is an underpass getting near the wolves ground which was not managed and has potential for issues.

Yet this ground indeed hosted fa cup semi finals and league cup final replays as well as euro 96 games, and had england won the 2018 bid world cup games with the leppings lane being left as is bar a new roof.

I've been hearing the signs to the turnstyles still aren't too clear as well. Just been nosing at some Newcastle and Wednesday forums. Some Wednesday fans do seem quite reasonable. Some aren't. Wouldn't advise anybody to dip into it, but it's nothing like Twitter.

But can't belive they've still got problems with the signs as well.

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2023, 03:15:56 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64331470

This is just fucking shocking. Who is this idiot?
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2023, 04:56:46 pm »

This is just fucking shocking. Who is this idiot?
I've only glanced the article but he may be right without intending to be. We all know it's not 'over-crowding' that causes problems, it's the poor design of the end and ineffective control by stewards and the Police that causes problems for any size crowd in that frigging ground.

I'll move this thread to the Fans Welfare & Campaign board soon.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2023, 10:31:27 am »

As much as I'd love to sit and have a pint watching the match, that idea needs binned off until the absolute wankers that buy pints for the sole purpose of chucking them in the air are banned from attending football matches until they grow up.
I hate that football fans all get lumped into the same category as drunken louts that can't control themselves but if having a pint was allowed in the stands, the minority that do fall under this category would ruin it for every one else.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT