Author Topic: HBO Series:- The Last of Us [spoiler tags approach applies!]  (Read 26283 times)

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
HBO Series:- The Last of Us [spoiler tags approach applies!]
« on: January 10, 2023, 02:14:55 pm »
The reviews look very, very good, and from a none gamers perspective.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_last_of_us
« Last Edit: February 1, 2023, 01:30:16 pm by 24/7 »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Re: HBO Series:- The Last of Us
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 03:00:41 pm »
Really looking forward to this - loved the game & its story and I'm currently watching Chernobyl & thoroughly impressed by it (Craig Mazin writer, creator, and executive producer for both).

Interesting line to toe to avoid spoilers between the tv and gaming (I've not played part 2) threads!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 03:12:23 pm »
I'm not a gamer, so had never even heard of this, let alone played it.

I'm not going to be the only one watching the TV show, so please use spoiler tags!!

:)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 05:34:26 pm »
I haven't got Sky Atlantic, but can log in to access it via the app - how much of a lag time is there between a broadcast and something reaching the app, and will each episode feature as breaks or do things show without ads on Sky Atlantic (and the app?).

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 06:06:48 pm »
Totally stoked for this. Can't wait. When I played the first game on ps3, must have been about 10 years ago, I told my wife that it was like an HBO drama. The storylines, scripting and acting were that good. Call me Nostro bleeding damas!
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 06:39:18 pm »
I haven't got Sky Atlantic, but can log in to access it via the app - how much of a lag time is there between a broadcast and something reaching the app, and will each episode feature as breaks or do things show without ads on Sky Atlantic (and the app?).

You can watch live tv on the skygo app can't you ?  It'll air at the same time as it does in the US & be on other sources before the UK airing has even finished.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 04:01:19 pm »
Is this going to follow the games then? I haven't played them so have no idea of the story

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 04:03:39 pm »
Is this going to follow the games then? I haven't played them so have no idea of the story

You'd assume so, its not like the game was based on anything else so it'd be a bit odd to pay for the rights and then ignore the amazing story

For us who have played it I guess we're gonna know the spoilers before they happen but
Spoiler
at least we can prep ourselves when they're messing around in a lift
[close]
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Absinthe

• Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 07:20:46 pm »
This season will just follow the first game, so people like me who've not played the sequel shouldn't have to worry about spoilers.

Sounds like they've made some minor changes like having the virus spread through tendrils instead of spores, but otherwise it's meant to be pretty faithful.

Online NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 08:53:47 pm »
As long as it has the
Spoiler
giraffe
[close]
scene and that scene is as well done (and earned) as the game version, I will be happy
What's your pleasure?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 06:27:29 am »
First one arried last night and is apparently pretty good like.
:D

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2023, 07:09:30 am »
I thought it was fantastic. Pedro Pascal absolutely nails Joel, Bella Ramsay only appears late on in episode one so too early to tell regarding her portrayal of Ellie.  Extremely faithful to the source material so far, be easy to spoil things for those going in blind so tread carefully.

It also looks fantastic, especially after the prologue and the score is spot on.  Reckon this could be special.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2023, 08:35:37 am »
Can't wait for this tonight.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2023, 08:48:24 am »
This has had some fantastic reviews after the first episode. Really looking forward to watching it.

Thank god Disney aren't making it!!

Online NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2023, 09:19:57 am »
Very promising start. One of the better first episodes to a series I have seen.  Is the game brought to life plus a little more on top.

Not checked online to see if they are planning to do more than one series and do both games, but if the first episode is anything to go by, I hope they do.

Dead curious to see how it goes down with people who have never played the games and who do not know the story in advance. I imagine it will go down as well as GOT did for those who had not read the books before that show started.
What's your pleasure?

Online Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 02:23:20 pm »
Oh yes that was great, the casting of Joel & Ellie is perfect. I have a feeling this is gonna be special.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 03:34:36 pm by Shepnois »

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2023, 03:28:28 pm »
Phenomenal opening episode.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2023, 04:41:02 pm »
Like others, I have never played the game but really looking forward to starting this tonight. Big Pedro fan too.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2023, 06:10:41 pm »
When it was first announced I thought it was pointless, but after all the trailers and reviews I’m really looking forward to it

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2023, 09:19:54 pm »
Great first episode even for someone that played the game many times. Think this is going to be great. Pascal can do no wrong.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2023, 09:43:36 pm »
Great first episode even for someone that played the game many times. Think this is going to be great. Pascal can do no wrong.

Agreed just finished it now, superb television.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2023, 09:44:25 pm »
Pedro Pascal is a very good Joel, but Bella Ramsey absolutely embodies Ellie. There was question marks over the casting, but her delivery, demeanour, posture, attitude and overall conduct absolutely screams Ellie. She's nailed it.

Offline Tombellylfc

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2023, 09:46:23 pm »
Great first episode. As others have said the casting is perfect.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2023, 09:46:57 pm »
Been a long time since i played the game so only remember the basics of the story, which I’m quite pleased about as I have no idea what’s coming next.

Thought it was tense gripping and really well realised. Great first episode.

I take it there’s only the one episode so far, no more available on Sky?
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2023, 09:50:05 pm »
Been a long time since i played the game so only remember the basics of the story, which I’m quite pleased about as I have no idea what’s coming next.

One a week mate, 9 in total.

What a monster of a song by Depeche Mode that is by the way.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2023, 10:01:26 pm »

It was a remix by Digitalism.

But yes, a great first episode. I've only ever owned an xbox (exception of Ps1) so unfortunately never have played the game. I was already a bit bummed out I hadn't played it but that's made me even more so!

Can't wait for next weeks.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2023, 10:29:57 pm »
Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes. That was great.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2023, 10:41:02 pm »
Extremely faithful to the source material so far, be easy to spoil things for those going in blind so tread carefully.
That's a really good point. Can people that have played the game be mindful to the others that haven't when posting as you may accidentally post a spoiler.
"Salahs in here......"

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2023, 11:10:33 pm »
Pedro Pascal is a very good Joel, but Bella Ramsey absolutely embodies Ellie. There was question marks over the casting, but her delivery, demeanour, posture, attitude and overall conduct absolutely screams Ellie. She's nailed it.

Bella Ramsey answered the call.

;)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2023, 11:25:03 pm »

Old school but it’s something to look forward to each week.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2023, 11:27:38 pm »

Alan Sepinwall is going to be doing spoiler-free weekly recaps for Rolling Stone - perhaps useful for those who aren't used to the week-long wait but don't want to watch episodes twice.

You'll probably only be able to view these pages of the site once once or twice a week mind, given they're trying to encourage subscriptions...

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-recaps/the-last-of-us-hbo-season-one-episode-one-recap-pedro-pascal-bella-ramsey-1234659171/

AV Club also doing weeklies: https://www.avclub.com/the-last-of-us-review-season-1-episode-1-premiere-1849976978
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 11:39:33 pm by jackh »

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2023, 11:41:17 pm »
Old school but it’s something to look forward to each week.

Much prefer it this way to be honest - a couple of mates came over to watch it and I've already had a few text messages about it. Never get that when everyone's watching at their own pace!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2023, 12:00:39 am »
I really enjoyed that.

I thought I hadn’t ever played the game, but some of this was really familiar and it jogged my memory. I think I downloaded it for free when I had PS+ for a year, played once for probably 20-30 mins and never again. Nothing against the game, it’s just what I did with most PS+ games. I don’t PS anymore (last thing I played in full was the first Spiderman game, and only got a PS4 for that, well worth it). Now I’m tempted to hook up my PS3 to play this, it’s just a matter of if I do it now or after the series finishes.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2023, 12:51:36 am »
Really good opening. I never get to far ahead of myself since first episodes are normally very strong to get you sucked in so we will see how it goes.

I know the guy who made this made Chernobyl and that was absolutely brilliant so hopefully it’s the same thing here.

Don’t want to be too negative but with the changes at hbo this may be the last massive show they make for a while. Think the guy in charge has history with shite reality stuff that loads watch and that’s the road he’s looking to go down since it’s much cheaper to produce.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2023, 04:30:11 am »
Do we know yet how many there'll be this season, and if it'll be weekly til the end?

Might hold off starting for a bit if there'll be a hiatus

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2023, 05:55:11 am »
Do we know yet how many there'll be this season, and if it'll be weekly til the end?

Might hold off starting for a bit if there'll be a hiatus

Nine episodes, one a week.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2023, 06:51:55 am »
Don't watch if you haven't played the game or watched the 1st one there is a spoiler in it

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/dAou5LV4bu0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/dAou5LV4bu0</a>
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 06:55:50 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2023, 07:59:10 am »
Thought it was ok.
More less a setup episode.
I’ll keep watching.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2023, 08:26:23 am »
Very promising start. One of the better first episodes to a series I have seen.  Is the game brought to life plus a little more on top.

Not checked online to see if they are planning to do more than one series and do both games, but if the first episode is anything to go by, I hope they do.

Dead curious to see how it goes down with people who have never played the games and who do not know the story in advance. I imagine it will go down as well as GOT did for those who had not read the books before that show started.
I've read that while the first season of the show covers Part I of the game, the plan is for Part II to span two seasons.

Absolutely no idea if there's a Part III coming, but if there is, you would think HBO has enough existing source material to get through over the coming years for the next installment of the game to at least be written, if not half made, in the meantime. I'm pretty sure I've also read that the plan here is to not take the show beyond the source material, but there could have been some clever phrasing at play there to keep discussion centred only on the two games that we all know. Either way, HBO should be busy enough for them to again do what they did with GOT and eventually work from a Part III outline if the game isn't ready for release by the time the show is due a fourth season.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 08:34:39 am by kellan »

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2023, 08:32:45 am »
Thought it was ok.
More less a setup episode.
I’ll keep watching.

Yeah, bit underwhelmed myself (compared to the hype). Unfortunately that opening trope of ‘society slowly falling apart by mysterious virus in the background whilst protagonist gets introduced’ has been done a lot now so has sort of lost its impact on me. And I think the truly awful later seasons of walking dead have lowered my post-apocalyptic vibes. Anyway, I’m sure it’s going to get great as it spreads out a bit.